Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGibby
Jan 27, 2009

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
A

I am sucker for ambushing people on their own planets (well ours now but you know).

Edit: Oh god so much pressure

The end of this is still my favorite Mechwarrior thing EVER.

This is what happens to Mercs

McGibby fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A I see no reason for us to retreat. Let the pirates bleed House Kurita. It will make slipping the knife in later all the easier.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Pladdicus posted:

Sigh. I want to say otherwise, not wanting to waste our stunning win, but.

A

Cylene is an occupied world. If you choose 'A', The Kell Hounds get to stare at the 9th Dieron until they get ordered home or the 9th Deiron decide to attack.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Arquinsiel posted:

You forgetting the Eridani Light Horse?

Yeah, the ELH is pretty much the most legendary of badasses. Hell, just send in the 8th and the 50th alone, they'll give these pirates a night of fire they won't ever forget.

And voting A, I suppose.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Cylene is an occupied world. If you choose 'A', The Kell Hounds get to stare at the 9th Dieron until they get ordered home or the 9th Deiron decide to attack.

so Desmond could come back fighting some snakes :swoon:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Voting B because i'm a crazy crazy man.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Notgothic posted:

Yeah, the ELH is pretty much the most legendary of badasses. Hell, just send in the 8th and the 50th alone, they'll give these pirates a night of fire they won't ever forget.
Any regiment who gets that much respect from the Wolfs Dragoons are not someone you want to forget about.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Also, it occurs to me: Hanse mentioned needing to get married. With the Lyrans on the outs, who else is available? Perhaps a certain eligible lady from the Capellan Confederation?

You know you want to see this, people. You know you want Victor Davion-Liao and the Confederated Suns.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Isn't Candace dead in this timeline though? I'm not really seeing how Hanse marrying a madwoman like Romano would benefit anybody in the long run.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Angry_Ed posted:

Isn't Candace dead in this timeline though? I'm not really seeing how Hanse marrying a madwoman like Romano would benefit anybody in the long run.

Humor value. :v:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Notgothic posted:

And voting A, I suppose.

As far as legendary/ridiculously awesome Merc units that aren't the GDL/Hounds/Dragoons/Highlanders, you've got the aforementioned ELH, 12th Vegan Rangers, 21st Centauri Lancers, The Blackhearts (so sneaky they hid their status as an ex-SLDF special ops command for almost 200 years or something), the Lexington Combat Group, Team Banzai/New Avalon Cavaliers, the Blue Star Irregulars, the Illician Lancers, Lindon's Company/Battalion/whatever the hell it is at the time, possibly Avanti's Angels count...I mean, being pretty awesome is almost a requirement for surviving more than a couple years as a mercenary command. So even with the GDL gone, there's plenty to fill the void.

Oh, and as far as non-mech mercenary units there's the best merc unit ever, a.k.a. Hell's Black Aces. Speaking of, it'd be pretty cool to, once you guys start using megamek, see you guys mess around with aerospace as the Hell's Black Aces. Especially if you use the vectored movement rules.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Voting for Option A. Why open another front or risk an interdiction when you can consolidate your gains and watch your enemy burn on the other end?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Voting A. It would be the most "Hanse" move to do.

Adam500
Mar 27, 2010
A, as many people have argued, is the sane option.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Romano Liao-Davion would be the single most hilarious possible outcome. I want this to happen now.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
B Because I am not a god drat wuss. People should man up and use this for bigger bonuses.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Fraction Jackson posted:

As far as legendary/ridiculously awesome Merc units that aren't the GDL/Hounds/Dragoons/Highlanders, you've got the aforementioned ELH, 12th Vegan Rangers, 21st Centauri Lancers, The Blackhearts (so sneaky they hid their status as an ex-SLDF special ops command for almost 200 years or something), the Lexington Combat Group, Team Banzai/New Avalon Cavaliers, the Blue Star Irregulars, the Illician Lancers, Lindon's Company/Battalion/whatever the hell it is at the time, possibly Avanti's Angels count...I mean, being pretty awesome is almost a requirement for surviving more than a couple years as a mercenary command. So even with the GDL gone, there's plenty to fill the void.

You also forgot Miller's Marauders.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
^^ I'm claiming credit for giving her the idea of Victor Davion-Liao. She gave me the idea of the Confederated Suns, though.

And I have to choose C. Remember Rule of Aquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.

By acquiescing to ComStar's requirements now, we'll make nice with them. This may make them more likely to share certain forms of technology with us later.

As ComStar said nothing about us attacking the Capellans, we can do so freely. The Confederation won't be expecting it, they're going to be looking at the same news reports about the Widowmakers that we are. By politely backing off in their time of need, we may even manage to make some kind of peace with the Dragon as well; at the very least, we can be drat sure that their attentions will be elsewhere.

Also, consider: by pulling away from their border under a ComStar-mandated truce, they'll feel free to push more forces towards the Clans, which will let them hold out longer and grind the Clans down more. With that the case, they'll capture more ClanTech and given the threat that the Clans are to us all, chances are ComStar will prevail upon them to share their catches with everyone.

On the other hand, we don't know that, so consider this from the Fox's perspective: by letting the Dragon move more forces towards these "pirates," they weaken their border with us should the need arise later to rush forward.

However, one thing I want to point out: that MadCat in the video is obviously not an SLDF design, otherwise it would have been identified as such. These are not just pirates who broke into a huge SLDF Cache, this is Something New. The Fox will realize this.

Plus, if we manage to take a significant chunk of the Capellan Confederation while we're not busy with the Dragons, we may be able to negotiate a marriage-related peace with the Confederation. :)

On the other hand, if we back off the DCMS now and wait and see, they may start to get hammered by the Clans even despite having the forces to pull away from our border. Once the Clans start to get within sweating distance of Luthien, the Fox can offer them a way out: find an eligible royal lady to marry him, and all of a sudden the AFFS is storming through the Combine straight to the front to reinforce the DCMS. The union of Dragon and Fox will smash these spiders, and in a generation the Draconis Suns or the Federated Combine has emerged.

Either way, let's get Hanse hitched!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Voting A, for reasons that have already been adequately explained.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

PoptartsNinja posted:

You also forgot Miller's Marauders.

You mean Barber's Marauder IIs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Fraction Jackson posted:

You mean Barber's Marauder IIs.

No. I really didn't.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I am going to vote C. Killing Capellans is always fun.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Axe-man posted:

A

:aaaaa:
THE GDL GONE?! Thats... really really not good.

Agreeing with all of this. :aaaaa:

Agent Interrobang posted:

Also, it occurs to me: Hanse mentioned needing to get married. With the Lyrans on the outs, who else is available? Perhaps a certain eligible lady from the Capellan Confederation?

You know you want to see this, people. You know you want Victor Davion-Liao and the Confederated Suns.

Haha holy gently caress I can't decide if that's awful or awesome.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

On the other hand, if we back off the DCMS now and wait and see, they may start to get hammered by the Clans even despite having the forces to pull away from our border. Once the Clans start to get within sweating distance of Luthien, the Fox can offer them a way out: find an eligible royal lady to marry him, and all of a sudden the AFFS is storming through the Combine straight to the front to reinforce the DCMS. The union of Dragon and Fox will smash these spiders, and in a generation the Draconis Suns or the Federated Combine has emerged.

I endorse this paragraph.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm voting for C because gently caress the Chinese we can seize their supply of WoW Gold and live like kings.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Also, I am curious, if we had selected the GDL what kind of scenario would we have gotten?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

KnoxZone posted:

Also, I am curious, if we had selected the GDL what kind of scenario would we have gotten?

Brutal rape, it would appear. Something akin to one of the old D&D arcade games where you get the choice to fight a Red Dragon that lives in a volcano. It asks you several times "Are you sure you want to do this? It's a pretty loving retarded plan." and then if you keep saying yes you fight the overpowered (but not invulnerable) dragon.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

You ever play MW2: Mercs? Three missions hunting lovely pirates and at the end you get your rear end teamed by Clan assaults.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
A Let them call time-out, but you just can't let them pretend we didn't just score a bunch of points.

Of course, if we can get Hanse hitched and score a valuable alliance... A few worlds are a small price to pay.

thunderbolt
Jun 13, 2006
3025 and loving it.
Voting C

But invite the FWL to the party. Once Tikanov falls go for St. Ives, with their duchess dead they need new "protectors".

thunderbolt fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 2, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
A, of course. No risk, pure profit. That's the way to go for ol' Fox.

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003
Voting B if black boxes exist, A otherwise.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Victor Davion-Liao

A while back I was talking about remembering reading somewhere that the Blakists had Melissa Steiner assassinated. Well I found where I had read it: the Blake Documents sourcebook. A section of it is crazy conspiracy hooks; Wolverines=Minnesota Tribe=WoB and the like. The Melissa Steiner thing was from a chapter of snippets reconstructed from Victoria Parrdeau's journal. In addition to being Comstar's Precentor ROM she was also a WoB mole and apparently batshit insane to boot. Post schism Comstar sure knew how to pick 'em.

Why do I bring this up? On the preceding page one of her "first real intelligence coups" is described: Who's Romano Liao's baby daddy? It's Hanse, well, for Sun-tzu at least.

As an aside, how many times have we seen "the head of X is a double agent" in the canon?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

SirJoeKCB posted:

Wolverines=Minnesota Tribe=WoB

The first 2/3 of that is true. :colbert:

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003

WarLocke posted:

The first 2/3 of that is true. :colbert:

Doesn't mean it's not a crazy conspiracy theory.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Well that was a really impressive last two turns of combat, holy poo poo guys.

I'm not going to vote because
a)it's pretty obvious A has already won it
and
b)I'm not entirely clear what exactly is going on here.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A, hopeful possibility of provocation aside it's the choice that minimizes needless conflict and best supports the Inner Sphere. B would weaken the Kuritans when they need to focus on the clans and C would weaken the Davions and Liaos before they could conceivably weigh in against the clans themselves.

Not that that's what Hanse is thinking, considering he's just looking for how best to get a leg up in the endless succession wars, but if we can put words in his mouth then let's go with the one with the best long-term consequences.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

A nice little stomp on some poor pirate schmucks under Redjack Ryan. Well, until 5 or so turns in. Then all hell breaks loose.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Voting C for all the right reasons. If this is a real threat that Kurita needs to deal with at the strategic level then we only stand to gain by letting them commit heavily. Comstar interdiction... Somebody needs to create a contingency, like a Pony Express with jumpships, so they can't hold us hostage again.

cookieman
Jan 19, 2009
A Why should we abandon our new holdings beacuse of some far off threat. That said we probably shouldn't try to provoke everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The problem with battle tech fluff is it's never really clear why you are fighting - if interstellar transport is as ludicrously difficult as it seems to be, with very low shipping through put, the standard empire plan of 'capture other places, loot for raw materials' seems a non starter.

And if they make expensive manufactured goods, like battlemechs, you're going to have constant problems with civic unrest.

Either of these things makes shooting the other guys up pretty unprofitable.

As a result, it's pretty unclear what you're supposed to be doing. With that said, vote A

• Locked thread