Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Guitar_Hero posted:

I'm torn between the Caballeros and the Death Commandos, but I'm going to go with the others in voting G. It's good to be bad.

for all those on the fence this is a quote from the wiki which helped me decide:

"Unofficially known the Chancellor's "storm troopers", members of the Death Commandos have very wide latitude in the the performance of their duties. For example, they are allowed, on their own authority, to summarily execute any Capellan soldier, and even members of the nobility, under certain circumstances. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Unofficial vote totals as of Polaron:

F, Camacho's: 6
C, Comguards: 1
B, Marauders: 5
G, Death: 7

If it continues to be this close I will eagerly switch from Camacho's to the Death Commandos. At least they'd be a lot more interesting, gameplaywise and for the peanut gallery, than "We're all in the exact same mech!" I just think it'd be a lot more interesting, since we're still in the broad survey phase of the game, to see and handle lots of different mechs and tactics, which means "not playing a unit that only ever uses a single mech". So, yeah, I'll be keeping track and if it comes down to B or G I'll flip to G.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 2, 2011

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Voting for F, the 17th Recon, Camacho’s Caballeros! ¡Vaya con dios! ¿Dónde está la casa del cuarto de baño? ¡Mi nombre es presidente, y tengo gusto del jamón!

Meanwhile, the FWL continues to remain divided as to the veracity of the final report of the GDL. We now go live to a dialogue between the FWL's two leading data analysts as they continue to their attempts to authenticate the footage. We join the debate already in progress.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Voting Death Commandos because I want Defiance Industries to do a write-up for that loveable, pot-bellied Vindicator!

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
I vote C) Com Guards, because it sounds like a lost cause, and therefore, seems fun.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Axe-man posted:

for all those on the fence this is a quote from the wiki which helped me decide:

"Unofficially known the Chancellor's "storm troopers", members of the Death Commandos have very wide latitude in the the performance of their duties. For example, they are allowed, on their own authority, to summarily execute any Capellan soldier, and even members of the nobility, under certain circumstances. "

Also if we get the Death Commandos, we'll be going up against Camacho's anyway, so we'll be able to see the madness firsthand.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
B, Miller's Marauders. After noting their (and their later, descendant unit's) awesomeness it would be unfair of me to not vote for them. Even if the chances of them getting completely obliterated are fairly high under these circumstances.

Tactical aside: In my experience, there are only a couple good ways to fight the Clans (assuming that you're using battle value) with level one or even 3050-era level 2 technology. One is to load up on lots of fast-ish units, at least 5/8 or better, and aim to outnumber the Clans 3 to 1 or at least close to that. Stuff like Ostsols, Kintaros, Fire Javelins, etc. are preferred for this sort of thing. If you're lucky you only lose 1-2 mechs on the way in, and then superior amounts of total armor, close-range weaponry, and especially infinite numbers of kicks can probably carry the day. It won't be pretty, but you can probably do it. Option two is to only have a sort of nominal 'mech force, but have lots of LRM-equipped tanks, and some jump infantry or a VTOL or two. (This is most effective in double blind, and especially in city-fighting.) You hide the tanks somewhere nice, make contact with your spotters, and then rain down 300 or so LRMs a turn.

The problem of course is that Miller's Marauders can do neither of these things, so as much as I want to see them in all their awesomeness, I fear for them.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

F) it can only be F).

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
I voted Death Commandos the first time through so hell yea I'll vote them again.

I'm really interested in how they'll be treated. It's going to be quite jarring going from the lance we just played to the Death Commandos and I suspect the difficulty is going to be much harder.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mukaikubo posted:

Voting F: 17th Recon, Camacho's Caballeros. Why? Because they're awesome, and I think letting more rumors about the Clans' invincibility will make our inevitable fight against them even more fun.

And because Camacho's Caballeros are AWESOME. And fighting Liao fanatics is also AWESOME.

Wait, is there even a choice here? Of COURSE we're going with F: Camacho's Caballeros. :ese:

edit:

Fraction Jackson posted:

Tactical aside: In my experience, there are only a couple good ways to fight the Clans (assuming that you're using battle value) with level one or even 3050-era level 2 technology. One is to load up on lots of fast-ish units, at least 5/8 or better, and aim to outnumber the Clans 3 to 1 or at least close to that. Stuff like Ostsols, Kintaros, Fire Javelins, etc. are preferred for this sort of thing. If you're lucky you only lose 1-2 mechs on the way in, and then superior amounts of total armor, close-range weaponry, and especially infinite numbers of kicks can probably carry the day. It won't be pretty, but you can probably do it. Option two is to only have a sort of nominal 'mech force, but have lots of LRM-equipped tanks, and some jump infantry or a VTOL or two. (This is most effective in double blind, and especially in city-fighting.) You hide the tanks somewhere nice, make contact with your spotters, and then rain down 300 or so LRMs a turn.

If we end up as marauders don't you dare metagame :colbert:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Volmarias posted:

Wait, is there even a choice here? Of COURSE we're going with F: Camacho's Caballeros.

edit:

If we end up as marauders don't you dare metagame :colbert:

I was just putting it out there, and besides - like I said, they can't do either of those things. They literally only have Marauders. Which is why it'll be fun to see if people can pull it off somehow.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm voting 17th Recon. Let's put these Cappys where they belong.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Death Commandosbecause seriously... Death. Commandos. Death Commandos! :black101:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Fraction Jackson posted:

I was just putting it out there, and besides - like I said, they can't do either of those things. They literally only have Marauders. Which is why it'll be fun to see if people can pull it off somehow.

Honestly, I think it'd be much more fun to let people have a bunch of different mechs and let them try to do different things so we can see a range of failures, rather than everyone in the exact same mech for our first fight against a confusing new enemy.

Charlie72
Apr 21, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Death Commandosbecause seriously... Death. Commandos. Death Commandos! :black101:

Voting G for the same reasons.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm voting for the 17th Recon.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
F F F F! ¡Ándale! ¡Ándale! ¡Arriba! ¡Arriba! *Jump jets to do a death from above!*

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Voting for Camacho's Caballeros. I only read one book featuring them but it was so awesome. Taking out an entire WoB lance starting from on-foot? Not a problem :ese:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Man, I just glanced at the master list for the first time in a while. If you really intend to get though this many people, 4 players at a time, this is going to be the longest LP thread ever.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's futile at this point, but I vote C. The Com Guards seem like the most interesting force in this setting, I'd like to see their holding action against the Clans.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Guitar_Hero posted:

Also if we get the Death Commandos, we'll be going up against Camacho's anyway, so we'll be able to see the madness firsthand.

This might actually be better than playing the Caballeros ourselves. Seeing what PTN does with them would be interesting.

Not quite convinced to flip my vote yet, though...

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Gothsheep posted:

Man, I just glanced at the master list for the first time in a while. If you really intend to get though this many people, 4 players at a time, this is going to be the longest LP thread ever.

I believe PTN is going to have much bigger games going online once people are broken in to his alternative universe.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

2nd Donegal Guard? Ordinary? Well, I never. Sit down and listen up, for I shall tell you all about Caesar's Legion!

The 2nd Donegal Guards were originally the 11th Alliance Rangers. Yeah, like the Terran Alliance. The unit was active as far back as the 2100s, and has been in continuous service since then. No other unit can claim such a distinguished and lengthy lineage, and the unit would probably be celebrating its 900th anniversary right around now.

When the Terran Alliance fell apart, the 11th Rangers were stationed in the area around Donegal. Rather than return to Terra and pick a side in the Civil War, they decided to strike out on their own as mercenaries. During this time, pirates were all over the place, due to the complete collapse of authority, and anyone who could fight them off was in short supply. They took a job with the Marsden family's Donegal Freight and Goods, which over the next eighty years had more and more people looking to them for protection and guidance until the point where they had become the de facto planetary government. During this time the 11th Rangers were basically a roving patrol unit who smashed pirate heads and showed people how awesome they, Donegal, and the Marsdens were.

In 2313, with his sphere of influence rapidly expanding, Seth Marsden founded the Protectorate of Donegal, and invited the 11th Rangers to become a permanent fixture of his military. They became the second unit in the new Donegal Brigade of Guards, and have remained so for the past 700 years. In the intervening time, they have fought in every major conflict the Commonwealth has fought, against every enemy they had.

The 2nd Donegal is atypical for a Lyran unit under the command of Caesar Steiner (who apparently has been demoted twice since 3025, but that makes sense if Katrina Steiner isn't around to protect him politically) in that they are noteworthy for their lighter-than-average composition, and highly coordinated (reflected as a -1 weight on the random weight table, and allowing off-map movement, but those are all advanced special rules we probably won't play). Historically they are also undefeated against House Kurita's premier unit, the 2nd Sword of Light, so they can suck on that.

tl;dr version-
a) Oldest unit in the Inner Sphere bar none.
b) Helped established the Protectorate of Donegal and thus, the LyrCom
c) Lighter, faster.
d) Caesar Steiner is awesome.

I obviously vote for the 2nd Donegal Guard: Caesar's Legion.

pros: You will be playing the most historically significant unit in the Inner Sphere under the command of a good-natured troublemaking military genius who fights and fucks his way in and out of problems.
cons: Probably a lot of political enemies.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 2, 2011

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Death Commandos

We need more atrocities here.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

Honestly, I think it'd be much more fun to let people have a bunch of different mechs and let them try to do different things so we can see a range of failures, rather than everyone in the exact same mech for our first fight against a confusing new enemy.

This, too. If we end up with the Marauders it'll be everyone basically doing the same thing because we're all in the same drat machine.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

WarLocke posted:

This might actually be better than playing the Caballeros ourselves. Seeing what PTN does with them would be interesting.

Not quite convinced to flip my vote yet, though...

After a whole battalion of McCarron's Armored Calvary were wiped out by nerve gas the Death Commandos were sent in to replace them/get revenge. 48 hours after they began their operation "the highest-ranking officer left on the planet was a major".

VVV

They did that to thanks to this guy. Justin Xiang Allard I think only nine or so of them survived because of that. :v:

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 2, 2011

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Death Commandos. I want to see a Capellan unit that does things other than die horribly before a Davion onslaught.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Preechr posted:

Death Commandos. I want to see a Capellan unit that does things other than die horribly before a Davion onslaught.

Well this is an alternate timeline so anythign could happen! :v:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

This, too. If we end up with the Marauders it'll be everyone basically doing the same thing because we're all in the same drat machine.

This is why i want to do death commandos, you can do ANYTHING, and the operation is all total black ops so you'll be against more people and have to do some crazy poo poo to suvive... can you say parachuting into a compound and killing a garrison then impersonating them to get to our objective :v:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't think anyone's commented on it yet, so I wanted to ask, did honouring the duel with the Dragon influence that scene with the cease-fire? Because if it did, that is awesome. I mean, all the Kuritan mechs went down, but word might have gotten back via an escaped pilot that the Kell Hounds were mighty but still honourable. Go Barnes! Gotta build that rep.

If so it also means you'd best play carefully in future rounds if your conduct can have "in world" consequences!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Dolash posted:

I don't think anyone's commented on it yet, so I wanted to ask, did honouring the duel with the Dragon influence that scene with the cease-fire? Because if it did, that is awesome. I mean, all the Kuritan mechs went down, but word might have gotten back via an escaped pilot that the Kell Hounds were mighty but still honourable. Go Barnes! Gotta build that rep.

If so it also means you'd best play carefully in future rounds if your conduct can have "in world" consequences!

This is actually a really good point! Well spotted. I would like to think honoring the duel did that. :unsmith:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Dolash posted:

I don't think anyone's commented on it yet, so I wanted to ask, did honouring the duel with the Dragon influence that scene with the cease-fire? Because if it did, that is awesome. I mean, all the Kuritan mechs went down, but word might have gotten back via an escaped pilot that the Kell Hounds were mighty but still honourable.

I hope it did cause seriously, I think that was a cool thing to do, if you are honorable mercs then maybe it could change the way kurita treats you later, and lets put it this way, if you eject from a mech you are pretty much on enemy territory, always good to give them a reason to not put you up against the wall and shoot you.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Dolash posted:

Exactly. That is why you should vote for the Death Commandos. Executing unarmed prisoners and civilians is the way to go this round. Leave the honor on the FS/Combine border :colbert:

And yes, honoring the duel has made the Kell Hounds into a well respected honorable unit. My actions have changed the fate of the entire Inner Sphere!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Axe-man posted:

This is why i want to do death commandos, you can do ANYTHING, and the operation is all total black ops so you'll be against more people and have to do some crazy poo poo to suvive... can you say parachuting into a compound and killing a garrison then impersonating them to get to our objective :v:

Yeah but is PTN gonna have us doing any of that stuff? I don't think there's rules for any of that in 'vanilla' BT, which is basically what he's using (so far, at least).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KnoxZone posted:

Exactly. That is why you should vote for the Death Commandos. Executing unarmed prisoners and civilians is the way to go this round. Leave the honor on the FS/Combine border :colbert:

Interesting. The goon hivemind is unsure whether it wants to be a Chinese death squad or band of wacky Texican desperados. Don't see that choice too often.

quote:

Yeah but is PTN gonna have us doing any of that stuff? I don't think there's rules for any of that in 'vanilla' BT, which is basically what he's using (so far, at least).

It's PTN. I wouldn't bat an eyelash if the objective was to kill a high-ranking officer about to be married, replace him with an infiltrator, then crash the wedding with an assault lance while banging the bride on the altar all so we can assassinate a local priest who vaguely offended someone's cousin's former roomate's girlfriend because that someone is our boss.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 2, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

actually there are, you can have commandos run around and do infantry tactics, did you know it takes 2 full turns to cold start a mech?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cythereal posted:

It's PTN. I wouldn't bat an eyelash if the objective was to kill a high-ranking officer about to be married, replace him with an infiltrator, then crash the wedding with an assault lance while banging the bride on the altar all so we can assassinate a local priest who vaguely offended someone's cousin's former roomate's girlfriend because that someone is our boss.

The 2nd Donegal would do that, but our primary goal would be banging. The infiltrator is an afterthought.

Cough.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

WarLocke posted:

There's lots of things PTN can do to reflect the Death Commando's nature. Instead of just doing straight up slugfights there's things like "hot drops into the middle of an enemy base to steal intel/plant bombs", running diversions where your goal is to keep the enemy occupied for X turns, setting up ambushes with the hidden unit rules, etc. etc. I also suspect that every scenario involving the Death Commandos will have them being outnumbered.

VVV

They're not really underdogs.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 2, 2011

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
F! I'd never really looked into Battletech before this thread, but a troop of acrobatic gunslingers fighting war criminals? Who could vote against the underdog?

(Though the Donegal 2nd sound awesome, so if it gets close I'll go for them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
Totally voting Death Commandos

• Locked thread