Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Twelve cents a gig? That seems really high compared to any other quoted figure I heard. Either way, even 5 cents a gig doesn't matter with even a very low limit. At that rate, it even seems reasonable to just pay for a tier of speed with no bandwidth at all, and then pay for everything your download. That wouldn't be too bad, but the ISPs will probably make the upfront payment the same as a full monthly rate is right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My figure is a rather generous one, but hey I'm also looking out for the poor corporations here as well. I want them to be able to afford the upgrades to their network. Even at 12 cents/GB; 1 TB of data would only be twelve bucks and not $1200. Wholesale rates are cheaper, but you're not going to get those as a consumer.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Stanley Pain posted:

My figure is a rather generous one, but hey I'm also looking out for the poor corporations here as well. I want them to be able to afford the upgrades to their network. Even at 12 cents/GB; 1 TB of data would only be twelve bucks and not $1200. Wholesale rates are cheaper, but you're not going to get those as a consumer.

Your figure is extraordinarily generous, because the "poor corporations" make money on every bit they charge you for regardless of how much it is. They pay literally nothing for the transfers because nearly all the ISPs in North America have peering agreements where they don't pay anything to transfer on each others' networks. A 1 cent charge is equal to a 1 cent profit.

Furthermore, you need to do the math again: 1 terabyte at 12 cents/gig is $120, not $12. A reasonable rate for right now (I would expect it to go down over time) is more like 2.5 or 3 cents per gigabyte, and that's still an infinite% profit.

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

E:ffff^^^^^^^

At 12 cents/GB, 1TB = $120

TheTexasSweater
Jul 10, 2008
Fuckin' Bell. I live in the boons and don't really have a viable satellite internet option, so i am stuck with them. it's painful. There are just so many problems with this set-up, but the whole thing gets confusing because of how entrenched bell is and how far back these issues go. Paying for usage is acceptable, provided you are paying a reasonable fee (ie one that reflects the cost of 'production'). Unfortunately there is no competition to force companies to create fees that reflect this cost, so we get hosed like with cellphones. don't even get me started on trying to contact Bell to complain/ get costumer service...

on a brighter side though, i havnt been this politically active in a long time, it felt good to call an mp/fax the PM. It will be interesting if Harper's decision does anything or ends up just being a way for him to have washed his hands of the matter come election time.

also, The Gunslinger, a fellow niagara-West-Glanbrookian/ gunslinger fan? city/town? Pelham here

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

fishmech posted:

Didn't Netflix say the actual cost of bandwidth to the home was a penny per gigabyte?

At this point, the lines and infrastructure have been around so long that the legacy costs have been paid for dozens of times over. The actual cost of bandwidth for ISP's in this country is 0 goddamn dollars. It is all pure profit. They could charge a penny a gig and still bathe in money.

All you guys west of Toronto are lucky bastards. There are lots of cable options and even Yak's service that is Bell free, working off their own DSLAM's. The corridor from Scarborough to Oshawa is basically a choice between getting hosed by Bell or hosed worse by Rogers. Drive a half hour north, and you can get service by those obscure rural ISP's that blow either Bell/Rogers out of the water. Toronto's got more options than I can keep track of. Teksavvy finally expanded a few years back out here for DSL, and while the download rates blow, the bandwidth has been great. Now, that's gone come March. Their roll-out of cable has been abysmally slow, so I can't move to that.

This situation is so surreal. If nothing changes by March, there could be riots. Riots in the streets. Over internet overage fees.

:psypop:

Isizzlehorn fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 2, 2011

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Time to sign up for Rogers & Bell & Telus and just split it :haw:

What am I going to use the other 27 days

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Martytoof posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble articulating what I'm trying to say so hopefully someone can follow where I'm trying to take this.

I totally get what you're saying and it's what annoys me. I wouldn't mind UBB (even though ideally I'd abolish both it and caps) if caps were reasonable, but they're taking advantage of UBB to lower their caps so that even if UBB is overturned we still have to deal with the other shitstorm that is unreasonable data caps.

I really think both issues have to be condensed into one by the public/government/legit media so that we deal with both of them now rather than UBB now, maybe lovely caps later.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
By the way Cogeco is hopping on the bandwagon now with "bandwidth blocks", more details coming soon according to a Cogeco rep on the dslreports forums. As if the $30/$50 overage charges weren't enough already on top of your regular plan and etc. I'm betting on $2 per GB from them but hopefully all of the UBB backlash will make them reconsider.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Stanley Pain posted:

Thing is, you're still paying for access. Even the ultra-lite people are still forking over 25 bucks a month or something like that, and the "ULTRA HIGH SPEED" people are still paying sixty or seventy. That should be enough to pay for equipment upgrades and overhead.

(The problem is that it doesn't give you those big fat cable TV margins, and that's what the big telecoms are trying to protect.)

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

When are Bell planning on telling their customers about the new data caps and changes to their plans? If this is going live in less than a month it'd be cool to be notified more than a week before they do.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.
This shouldn't change things for Bell/Rogers customers at all. We've had caps for years.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

orange lime posted:

Your figure is extraordinarily generous, because the "poor corporations" make money on every bit they charge you for regardless of how much it is. They pay literally nothing for the transfers because nearly all the ISPs in North America have peering agreements where they don't pay anything to transfer on each others' networks. A 1 cent charge is equal to a 1 cent profit.

Furthermore, you need to do the math again: 1 terabyte at 12 cents/gig is $120, not $12. A reasonable rate for right now (I would expect it to go down over time) is more like 2.5 or 3 cents per gigabyte, and that's still an infinite% profit.

Oh poo poo yeah, maths. :v: Would still be cheaper than what I pay using up around 500GB :(

You'll never, ever get 2-3 cents/GB though unless you run your own data centre and have some pretty good peering connections. Some of the better pricing I've seen has been around the 5-10 cent/GB depending on connection type, co-location, etc.

Now the actual costs incurred by the ISPs really is close to 0 since there are some very sweet peering contracts between the big ISPs/Telcos in place. The only time it might cost them money is if you pull stuff overseas and even that's pretty drat cheap for North America.

edit:

Seems to have gone over people's heads, but my "generosity" towards the telcos comment was sarcasm... v:v:v

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

Found a half way decent one template

Canadian ISPs have "just become a collection agency for the monopolies" according to the CEO of the Canadian Internet service provider TekSavvy Solutions. On January 25th, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) gave the go-ahead to allow Bell Canada to charge Usage-Based Billing (UBB) to local Internet Service Providers (ISPs), such as Mega-Quebec here in Quebec City. Starting in February any data over your cap will be charged extra. Despite being charged per gigabyte (GB) when you exceed your cap, if you use less than your cap you will not receive a discount. According to an employee of TekSavvy, bandwidth costs to your ISP are "1 to 3 pennies per gig". Your local ISP is now obligated to charge you $1-4 per GB, more than a 10000% markup, and pass that money directly to Bell.

This is a disaster for everyone who is currently using the Internet; your Internet bill will almost certainly go up. It is trivially easy to pass the 25-50 GB caps that will come into effect next month. Watching a low-end HD movie on the Internet will set you back 4-6 GB, and a single episode of television could be as much as 1.5 GB. Downloading 2-3 games per month off Steam that will set you back 25 GB a month alone. Streaming just 30 minutes of 720p videos on YouTube every day could use over 30 GB. Even if you are already on a plan with a cap, this gives leeway to your current ISP to raise your prices in the absence of competition.

So why the sudden push to impose UBB? The answer is Netflix Canada, an online DVD-rental and movie streaming service that recently became available, and Hulu, an online TV streaming service that is very popular in the united states. Bell is the owner of the CTV television network, as well as offering monthly television subscription services. Bell has decided that the best way to ensure that you cannot cancel your television service (and watch shows online at your convenience) is to make online streaming of TV shows and movies too costly by over-charging for bandwidth. And through the CRTC, to force competing ISPs to do the same. That the CRTC would ignore such a huge conflict of interest is surprising, until you realize that some of its members have previously worked at Bell or Rogers and are unfit to regulate an industry they are beholden to.

There are three possible solutions that we can implement to stop our Internet access from dropping to third-world levels: 1. Disband the CRTC and replace it with an organization directly responsible to parliament, fill it with members who won't rubber-stamp every anti-competitive request made by our monopolies. 2. Create a provincial crown corporation here in Quebec, similar to Sasktel, which has pledged to keep providing the citizens of Saskatchewan with unlimited Internet access at affordable rates. 3. Adopt a system similar to the one in Japan, where the owner of last mile infrastructure (Nippon Telegraph and Telephone) was broken up into competing companies. They were also forced to lease their lines to smaller competitors at wholesale rates. Thanks to government regulations mandating competition, Japanese citizens now enjoy un-capped 160 Mbps Internet speeds for $60 a month, speeds unheard of here in Canada, at any price.

http://www.antiubb.com/why-should-we-oppose-ubb/ also has a lot of great key points that could be easily copy/pasted into an email.

Rough translation of the above for anyone who wants to use it. I rephrased certain parts and added in a bit about the Ontario vs Quebec thing. It's rough (so is my French, I'm blaming Bell :colbert: ), but I'm loving tired; I'll brush it up tomorrow unless someone else wants a go.

quote:

Les fournisseurs internet viennent juste de devenir agence de collection pour les monopoles, selon Teksavvy, un fournisseur internet qui est maintenant obligé de réduire le service qu’ils peuvent offrir à leurs clients. Ce 25 janvier, la CRTC a accordé à Bell Canada de droit d’imposer un tarif. Dès février, tout excès du montant de giga-octets (go) accordés chaque mois seront facturés à $2.50 par go. Selon Teksavvy, le coutant d’envoyer ce giga serait, au max, 3 cents. Ceci donne à Bell plus de 5000% de profits, que tout fournisseur d’internet doit maintenant charger à leurs clients pour ensuite donner à Bell. Pire encore, les frais supplémentaires sont moins cher en Ontario qu’au Québec, les québécois payant 2.5x le montant des ontariens.

Ceci est un désastre pour tous utilisateurs d’internet, garantissant une augmentation de facture dans la majorité des cas. Il est très facile de dépasser les maximums qui s’imposeront le mois prochain. Un film en HD prend entre 4 et 6 go, et un épisode de télé peut en prendre 1.5. Deux ou trois jeux PC à travers le service Steam peuvent totaliser plus de 30go. Rien que 30 minutes en HD sur YouTube chaque jour utilise plus de 30go en un mois.

Alors pourquoi l’intérêt soudain? La réponse est Netflix Canada, un service permettant l’écoute de films et séries télés en ligne, qui est très populaire aux États-Unis. Bell, qui est maintenant propriétaire de CTV et qui revend le service télé satellite, a décidé que le meilleur moyen d’éviter l’annulation de services télé est de rendre le service télé en ligne trop cher pour les consommateurs, et de forcer les autres fournisseurs d’internet de le faire aussi à travers cette décision. Que la CRTC puisse ignorer ce conflit d’intérêt flagrant semble difficile à croire, avant de réaliser que certains de ses membres sont d’anciens employés de chez Bell.

Trois solutions possibles existent qui éviteront que notre internet deviennent dépasser par les services offert au pays du tiers-monde : 1. Élimination de la CRTC, la remplaçant par une organisation qui répond directement au parlement, remplis de membres qui n’approuveront pas ces demandes anti-compétitives faites par Bell et d’autres monopoles. 2 : La création d’une corporation couronne au Québec, semblable à Sasktel en Saskatchewan, qui a promis de continuer à fournir les citoyens de la Saskatchewan avec un service internet sans limites à des prix abordables. 3. L’adoption d’un système semblable au Japon, où NT&T, la compagnie qui posséda l’infrastructure téléphonique, a été séparé en plus petites compagnies en concurrence. Ils furent aussi obligé de revendre le service à d’autres compétiteurs à de bas prix. Cette décision qui força la competition a donné aux japonais un service internet de 160 mégabits par seconde pour $60 par mois, vitesse impossible à obtenir aux résidences canadiens.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
The writeup is really informative, but it's pretty long. It doesn't seem to me that anyone would be willing to read any more than a few sentences of a letter to an MP.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Nomenklatura posted:

This shouldn't change things for Bell/Rogers customers at all. We've had caps for years.

Yes but as far as I know they're lowering their caps and increasing their prices. Someone even posted tentative numbers a couple pages back.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

(Sorry, been busy) Okay, since the numbers got leaked (it's buried on Geist's site/blog):

The average end-user of a CNOC ISP uses approximately 30GB per month.

Bell has acknowledged in the past that only 10% of their users go past their bandwidth caps.

And something to note is that chances are a high usage Bell customer left them for someone like TekSavvy in the past, skewing the distributions a bit.

Makes you wonder how many low bandwidth users there are out there to balance out the 100+Gig transfers some people do...

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Friend who is a CSR at Telus sent me a txt this morning. They got a work email stating that Telus will not be changing their bandwidth policy. If this is true, yay.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
And as a surprise to nobody, the National Post editorial team is taking the stance that this will effect nobody, that we're all a bunch of whiners, and that Bell is only charging what it needs to in order to survive, as determined through their heavy research of asking a Bell spokesperson about it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If there really is a finite amount of bandwidth, why not charge for it they way we get charged for hydro? Cost + a reasonable (or even gigantic) profit margin plus a speed multiplier.

Oh, I know why, because their bread and butter customers would start getting monthly bills of like $8.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

prom candy posted:

If there really is a finite amount of bandwidth, why not charge for it they way we get charged for hydro? Cost + a reasonable (or even gigantic) profit margin plus a speed multiplier.

Oh, I know why, because their bread and butter customers would start getting monthly bills of like $8.

You forgot the $30 admin fee to print and mail the bill.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

kuddles posted:

And as a surprise to nobody, the National Post editorial team is taking the stance that this will effect nobody, that we're all a bunch of whiners, and that Bell is only charging what it needs to in order to survive, as determined through their heavy research of asking a Bell spokesperson about it.
That's a pretty revolting article, but at least this one guy seems to have a better understanding, or at least better at balancing it:

http://business.financialpost.com/2011/02/02/crtc-chief-to-testify-before-parliament/

He's probably also the only one writing about it there under 30. He even mentions Steam.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Suniikaa posted:

Friend who is a CSR at Telus sent me a txt this morning. They got a work email stating that Telus will not be changing their bandwidth policy. If this is true, yay.

I'm surprised nobody has decided to get out ahead of this now that the winds seem to be changing. The first major ISP to bail and offer an unlimited plan even at a 25% markup from the old prices would probably get a boatload of customers.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
CBC Radio 1's "Spark" is highlighting this issue right now.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...aign=DTN+Canada

Hopefully this will be the first step in the government coming around to realizing that the CRTC is incapable of meeting it's mandate, and is instead trying to make their buddies more rich than they already are.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...aign=DTN+Canada

Hopefully this will be the first step in the government coming around to realizing that the CRTC is incapable of meeting it's mandate, and is instead trying to make their buddies more rich than they already are.

The question is, will they be prepared to grill him? Or will he just be there to officially spout the same statistics that we already know?

I mean, it sounds good, but if they don't have a technical consultant on their side and aren't prepared to play the devil's advocate then this is just going to be a day's worth of "our internet tubes are clogged don't you see we need people to pay extra to flush more" and everyone will be all "hey well that makes sense".

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

kuddles posted:

Yeeeaaaah, they clearly have no loving idea how the Internet works and think that bits need to be shipped out from the bit mines in deepest Africa (or something like that). The electricity comparison makes THAT obvious.

That Spark interview was crap, too. Hey, mister economics professor? You can't talk about how the market will solve all ills when there is no free market here. Bell et al have natural monopolies. Telecoms are the TEXTBOOK DEFINITION of natural monopolies. Competition is something you have to impose, or you won't get any.

Nomenklatura fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 2, 2011

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

kuddles posted:

I love how just about every comment on that editorial is calling the author out on their bullshit.

Also saw coverage of this issue on Global for the first time tonight, its becoming too big for even a news outlet owned by Shaw to ignore.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Nomenklatura posted:

That Spark interview was crap, too. Hey, mister economics professor? You can't talk about how the market will solve all ills when there is no free market here. Bell et al have natural monopolies. Telecoms are the TEXTBOOK DEFINITION of natural monopolies. Competition is something you have to impose, or you won't get any.

oh, you heard that interview too? There's actually a full version of that interview on the podcast feed. Boy was I let down as I eagerly booted up the Spark podcast to listen to a well-informed discussion on UBB.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Sashimi posted:

I love how just about every comment on that editorial is calling the author out on their bullshit.
It's especially amusing because even a lot of their hardcore conservative readership don't seem to be falling for it, retorting with stuff like "How is the free market going to decide what a gig is worth like you claim if all companies are forced by the incumbent to offer the exact same pricing packages?"

kuddles fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 3, 2011

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If Radio One used the same guy as Metro Morning just go to the website and write a complaint. The CBC in general has been doing the best job covering this of all the major media outlets, with Jameson Berkow at FP being a close second. The Globe has been good all things considered.

kuddles posted:

You'll notice that the ed. board gets absolutely savaged in the comment section and a few people even cancel their Post subscriptions. No one is deceived. There's another FP columnist, Terence Corcoran, who wrote something even worse but you can't comment directly on the article. Just e-mail him instead, because his column was either the laziest journalism I have ever seen or paid for by a telco.

Sashimi posted:

Also saw coverage of this issue on Global for the first time tonight, its becoming too big for even a news outlet owned by Shaw to ignore.
CTV covered this once and I think the article was pulled afterward. Even if their entire piece was interviewing Mirko Bibic and other scum from Bell there's no way anyone with half a brain wouldn't wonder why they're going to get less for their dollar.

Speaking of which, Bibic has resorted to flat-out lies worthy of his employers. In a Globe article late today he claimed that the smaller ISPs only think free bandwidth is a good idea because they don't have to invest. Last I checked, they are only renting the last mile and everything beyond central office is their own.

There is a circle of hell for people like him.

Suniikaa posted:

I wonder if it's because they didn't buy Corus entertainment in time :v:

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 3, 2011

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Openmedia.ca is trying to raise $10,000 by tomorrow for the following (copy-pasted from email):

* Buy ads in Clement’s riding to encourage him to champion the Internet.
* Provide resources to grassroots groups who are lobbying at the local level.
* Strengthen our online activism – your responses were so great that it crashed our site! We need stronger online tools to gather momentum and support.

http://tinyurl.com/4ne9mfh

Donated $100

blkmage
May 15, 2009
http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/Ottawa+quash+CRTC+decision/4214138/story.html

quote:

The Harper government will overrule a recent decision by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission that effectively kills unlimited Internet-pricing packages — unless the telecommunications regulator backs down first, Postmedia News has learned.

"The CRTC should be under no illusion. The prime minister and the minister of industry will reverse this decision unless the CRTC does it itself," a senior government source, speaking only on condition of anonymity, said Wednesday evening.

The ultimatum sets the stage for an awkward appearance before a parliamentary committee Thursday by Konrad von Finckenstein, chairman of the CRTC, who will now be making his public remarks with a threat hanging over his head.
Anonymous government sources and it's a surprisingly quick response, but there you have it.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

blkmage posted:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/Ottawa+quash+CRTC+decision/4214138/story.html

Anonymous government sources and it's a surprisingly quick response, but there you have it.

Great news.

http://twitter.com/TonyClement_MP appears to have verified it.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 3, 2011

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
Can't wait to hear Konrad's testimony as to why he supported UBB!

edit: ugh... shot this post out too quickly! fix'd.

Septimus fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 3, 2011

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Septimus posted:

Can't wait to hear why Konrad's testimony as to why he supported UBB.

The bulge in his back pocket will give him away regardless of what he says.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

:iceburn:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

That's awesome news. I guess word of mouth really spread. I was at a hockey game earlier and some teen sitting behind us was telling his friends about the demons of UBB :shobon:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Haha that's amazing. drat, except for Egypt, this is turning out to be a pretty good day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

less than three posted:

:iceburn:
Holy loving poo poo I want to wave this on a flag.

And Postmedia broke the story, :lol: