Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kin posted:

I was always under the impression that every Waterstones had a front of house and a back of house.

The front contained all of the up to date new releases, the charts and all that other stuff you're likely to find in Tesco, but the back contained large categories of all topics (and maybe a costa coffee). What's strange is that when i've gone into the one in Dundee over the last few years it's been a barren wasteland through the back with empty shelves and paltry offerings for some categories.

Are things like Amazon and Tesco really crushing book stores?

People in Dundee can read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Glasgow Sauchiehall Street Waterstones is still a very good book shop, though the grown up books section is being increasingly encroached upon by genre fiction. The Argyle street branch on the flip side is basically like a WH Smiths with black shelves and row upon row of tedious biographies of celebrities/people with 'troubled lives'.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Flatscan posted:

People in Dundee can read?

Well it is full of students from all over for 9 months of the year. :)

The other 3 months... not so much. :smith:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
There was a costa in my local waterstones a couple of years back. A friend of mine would buy a coffee and read an entire book and then leave.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kin posted:

Well it is full of students from all over for 9 months of the year. :)

If they're anything like the students here in Cambridge, that's still a no :)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Metrication posted:

There was a costa in my local waterstones a couple of years back. A friend of mine would buy a coffee and read an entire book and then leave.

I'm sure the intent was to encourage people to sit down with a book and perhaps read a little of it, then being thoroughly hooked, they'd proceed to buy it. Though some people read really fast and some people are just moochers who would come back every day and read another chapter i suppose. :/

I like the idea of coffee shops inside bookshops though. While i don't consider myself a twonky snob, there's something that's relaxing about that kind of thing and it's an odd sensation to have in a place that's often smack bang in the middle of a city centre or wherever.

A coffee shop will typically have a loud chatty "cafe" atmosphere, bookshops alone (like WH smith) are full of people just prattling away too and it feels like a newsagent's, but the combination of the two seems to induce this slightly hushed area of comteplation where you can sit and relax in an otherwise heavilly busy place.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

The Glasgow Sauchiehall Street Waterstones is still a very good book shop, though the grown up books section is being increasingly encroached upon by genre fiction. The Argyle street branch on the flip side is basically like a WH Smiths with black shelves and row upon row of tedious biographies of celebrities/people with 'troubled lives'.

I miss the giant Borders that used to be on Buchanan Street. It had a nice atmosphere, and lots of unexpected corners and stairs that took you to strange, previously undiscovered areas containing many fascinating books (and generally also a confused-looking pensioner in tartan carpet slippers. There always was one, I don't know why, or where they came from...)

Having said that, the staff in Waterstones Sauchihall are generally polite, enthusiastic and know a reasonable amount about books. And their childrens' section is bright, cheerful and welcoming to small readers and their parents.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Irisi posted:

I miss the giant Borders that used to be on Buchanan Street. It had a nice atmosphere, and lots of unexpected corners and stairs that took you to strange, previously undiscovered areas containing many fascinating books (and generally also a confused-looking pensioner in tartan carpet slippers. There always was one, I don't know why, or where they came from...)

Yeah, I miss the Borders that was on Charring Cross Road, I used to love sitting about in there when I lived in London.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Kin posted:

I'm sure the intent was to encourage people to sit down with a book and perhaps read a little of it, then being thoroughly hooked, they'd proceed to buy it. Though some people read really fast and some people are just moochers who would come back every day and read another chapter i suppose. :/

I like the idea of coffee shops inside bookshops though. While i don't consider myself a twonky snob, there's something that's relaxing about that kind of thing and it's an odd sensation to have in a place that's often smack bang in the middle of a city centre or wherever.

A coffee shop will typically have a loud chatty "cafe" atmosphere, bookshops alone (like WH smith) are full of people just prattling away too and it feels like a newsagent's, but the combination of the two seems to induce this slightly hushed area of comteplation where you can sit and relax in an otherwise heavilly busy place.

Yeah I agree, it was a very nice place to go for coffee, not that many people used it though (the main benefit) which is probably why it shut.

So apparently right wing blogger Guido Fawkes is going to be on 10oclock live tonight, which'll be interesting. He occasionally pops up as a talking head on various politics shows as well.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Irisi posted:

Having said that, the staff in Waterstones Sauchihall are generally polite, enthusiastic and know a reasonable amount about books. And their childrens' section is bright, cheerful and welcoming to small readers and their parents.

This. That was an awesome Borders, and I really liked the Ottokar's on Sauchiehall Street before it got bought over. Was one of those ones with a coffe shop in in and it was amazing.

The Waterstones store where I live (Falkirk) is tiny and yet filled with nothing but shite books. They've cut down on other sections to make a whole section with the heading 'Dark Romance' I poo poo you not. Thanks Twilight/True Blood for making hundreds of crappy imitations...

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Daedo posted:

The Waterstones store where I live (Falkirk) is tiny and yet filled with nothing but shite books. They've cut down on other sections to make a whole section with the heading 'Dark Romance' I poo poo you not. Thanks Twilight/True Blood for making hundreds of crappy imitations...

My sixth form library has a poster in it that's basically a long list of crappy twilight rip-offs. I despair at the fact that this is the length we need to go to to get kids to read.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Daedo posted:

Same at mine. Funny thing is, the shelves in that section are always fully stocked and I've never even seen anyone browsing it, let alone actually buying anything. Much like the huge children's/teens section which is always empty too.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think my local big chain has a paranormal romance section, but I mostly shop in the second hand places now. Still largely full of crap, but it's not full price crap.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Kin posted:

Am i the only one somewhat repulsed by Michel Roux's Service?

I've worked in hospitality before and it really is a lovely, thankless, overy stressful, underpaid line of work and to see it glorified as some kind of wonderjob for these people to aspire to is heartbreaking.

No you're not. I think it's a sad state of affairs where being a loving waiter has become an aspirational occupation.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Monster w21 Faces posted:

No you're not. I think it's a sad state of affairs where being a loving waiter has become an aspirational occupation.

Yeah I'm watching it now waiting for Louis Theroux and I'm just baffled. They are getting emotional about being able to fetch wine for rich bastards.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

marktheando posted:

Yeah I'm watching it now waiting for Louis Theroux and I'm just baffled. They are getting emotional about being able to fetch wine for rich bastards.

We'll be back to workhouses and cholera before too long, just as god intended.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Daedo posted:

I remember wondering what was going on when Smiths had "TRAGIC LIFE STORIES" as a heading.

marktheando posted:

I could write a book about why The Secret Millionaire is the most regressive thing on TV and this sounds similar in its conception.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I'm watching Theroux's "Ultra Zionists". Five minutes in and it's already got enough disgusting specimens to make this programme hard to swallow.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Flatscan posted:

Small loss? Not really when you see that the only high-street bookselling presence in most towns are Waterstones and Smiths and the book section in most Smiths really is just the same as that in a supermarket.

If Waterstones goes down, unless you happen to live in a city, your only options are going to be Tom Clancy and Richard & Judy poo poo in Smiths and Sainsburys, or Amazon. While Amazon is good if you know exactly what you're looking for, it's lovely when it comes to finding new authors and expanding your literary horizons.

If you're after new authors and expanding your literary horizons, you should be giving your local library a go. (Quickly, before they're all shut.)

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

marktheando posted:

I'm not watching and have no idea what their education level is, but if you've been marginalised and made to feel like crap most of your life, being successful at anything -even waitressing- will make you really loving happy.

I've done work with adult learners, and things that seem really small to us smartarses on the internet make a huge difference to them. I'm talking about tiny things, like being able to set up an email address, understanding how to take money & make change for a customer on a till, reading and filling in a job application all by yourself.

Okay, fetching wine for rich bastards may sound a bit degrading, but it's still better than sitting on your bum watching Cash in the Attic while being too scared to open that letter from the Job Centre, because you know it'll say that they're cutting your benefits. At least with the wine there's a chance you could find it interesting, and eventually become a sommelier (I just googled and an assistant sommelier gets an average wage of £18000, which is more than I get, for gods sake).

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Testro posted:

If you're after new authors and expanding your literary horizons, you should be giving your local library a go. (Quickly, before they're all shut.)

I do but it has a fairly lovely selection which means I have to order stuff in from other libraries, which also isn't that conductive to casual browsing.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Being a regular waiter is a thankless and underpaid job, but working in a super posh 3 michelin starred restaurant? £18,000 is FAR from the takehome pay, If the meal is £500, what do you think the tip will be?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Fatkraken posted:

If the meal is £500, what do you think the tip will be?

20 quid?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

They should be poisoning it in the name of glorious class war.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Fatkraken posted:

Being a regular waiter is a thankless and underpaid job, but working in a super posh 3 michelin starred restaurant? £18,000 is FAR from the takehome pay, If the meal is £500, what do you think the tip will be?

If I'm remembering this correctly they believe that once Israel is fully estabilshed the Messiah will come, and those Jews who chose to convert to Christianity will be saved, and those who don't will stay on Earth for the End of Days. They basically believe that by helping out they are bringing about the end of the world, where sinners get hosed, and good christians like them get to go to heaven.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Brown Moses posted:

If I'm remembering this correctly they believe that once Israel is fully estabilshed the Messiah will come, and those Jews who chose to convert to Christianity will be saved, and those who don't will stay on Earth for the End of Days. They basically believe that by helping out they are bringing about the end of the world, where sinners get hosed, and good christians like them get to go to heaven.

I think you quoted the wrong post, but I rather like the idea of waiters quietly preparing for the apocalypse

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

HoldYourFire posted:

20 quid?
10% is a standard tip so thats 50, plus rich people probably tip more

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You don't get rich giving away money.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

goatface posted:

You don't get rich giving away money.

This is something I never understood either. How do these people afford to haemmorhage money everywhere they go? I used to work in a pub in a pretty posh area of my town, and people would drop £20 quid tips- that's almost the value of their meal. What the gently caress is up with that.

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007
I wonder if it was coincidence that most of the mad bastards Theroux interviewed weren't actually Israeli?

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

meme posted:

This is something I never understood either. How do these people afford to haemmorhage money everywhere they go? I used to work in a pub in a pretty posh area of my town, and people would drop £20 quid tips- that's almost the value of their meal. What the gently caress is up with that.

Expenses.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Go go 10 o'clock live!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
My favourite part was the Christians who flew across the world to pick some Israeli guy's grapes for a month for no pay.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

That Harry Cole guy is a joke. He clearly didn't think through a single one of his points.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The sun is going to kill the world. Maybe. Perhaps. If we're lucky. Wasn't Charlie Brooker complaining about this poo poo on his other show just last week?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

I was quite impressed by the seamlessness of that live to VT sequence. Also it seems to be imroving every week.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Putting Laverne in a recorded bit is a good response to her nervousness on last week's to-camera bit.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Metrication posted:

I was quite impressed by the seamlessness of that live to VT sequence. Also it seems to be imroving every week.

Wasn't really seamless, shakycam right onto a steadycam transition.

I'm really liking this week, bar the listen to Mitchell segment.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Lady Galaga posted:

Wasn't really seamless, shakycam right onto a steadycam transition.

Not to mention sunlight. This is the thin end of the wedge, the sun is trying to bring the system down from within.

e: I love you Jimmy Carr.

The show is definitely improving, it looks like they're throwing out what doesn't work and honing the stuff that does.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Is that a wolf shirt continually in shot behind Laverne's head? I'm watching on a 12" portable with bad reception, if it's not.

Speaking of Laverne, I'm glad that it seems she's got a good role for herself on the show now. The sequence about libraries and the to-camera piece last week worked pretty well, especially when compared to WNN or whatever that shite was in the first week.