Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
So, on further thought, I think I'm going to start heading to the right. That'll let me move towards the Vindicator and the Cataphract, assuming they stay roughly in their same positions, and it'll keep me under cover for a while. I'm going to try to link up with Skinwalker and the two of us can push forward, try to double-team the Vindicator, and then we can try to kill the Ace in his Cataphract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Okay, I've analysed the tactical situation, and I've come up with the optimal plan of action for your forces for the first few turns.

Charge at them at top speed, a-whoopin' and a-hollerin', preferably whilst yelling "Yee-Haw!"

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Axe-man posted:

oh jesus i missed this i better get in on it! :v:

edit: awww missed it i gather :smith:

Um... No. No, you did not. I'm taking applications up until I'm not, and it is not first-come-first-serve. I'm taking all comers and then picking the five characters I find most interesting.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

inflatablefish posted:

Charge at them at top speed, a-whoopin' and a-hollerin', preferably whilst yelling "Yee-Haw!"

Oddly enough, that's the typical 17th Recon battle plan. Except add in more rebel yells and wolf howls.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Wow...Good luck :ese::ese::ese:

Sidenote: people have been criticizing the WoB as crazy, with a stupid cartoonishly evil master plan, but is it really a surprize? The group they split off from thought it more plausible that the clans were shape-stealling, mind-absorbing alien lifeform that ate Kerensky's men, stole their Mech technology, made new mechs, and came back to the IS than the (true) idea that the clans had decended from the members of the Exodus. All I'm saying is, Crazy runs in the family, so to speak.

Here's your citation, copy-pasted right out of the digital copy of Lethal Heritage:
Myndo chewed her lower lip to stop it from trembling. "Explanation?"
The Precentor Martial shrugged. "Their 'Mechs show evidence of technology beyond what we know. My advisors and I wrestled with the question of where these 'Mechs might originate and who piloted them right up until the time I left to join you here."
The Primus's dark eyes half-closed. "Are they Kerensky's army come back to haunt us?"
The Precentor Martial took a deep breath before answering. "That was one of the more popular theories we came up with, but some of the surface evidence seems against it. These 'Mech designs are alien to those the Star League army had when it abandoned the Inner Sphere three hundred years ago. When Kerensky's people left, they took with them support personnel, but no research scientists and no manufacturing facilities."
"As nearly as we know, Precentor Martial. With the slaughter of the intelligentsia that preceded the First Succession War, we cannot be certain who died that way and who had vanished beforehand."
Focht bowed his head to his Mistress. "Your point is valid, Primus. There are other reasons, however, and they also cast doubt on the Kerensky solution. For example, the paint scheme on the mystery machines is unlike that of any known Star League unit. More important, the most thorough scouting missions carried out on Kerensky's trail lost track of him over 130 light years beyond the Periphery borders. General Kerensky and his people are long gone from here."
Myndo's head came up. "Surely you cannot dismiss the return of Kerensky's people that easily."
Focht shook his head. "If I gave you the impression that we had easily ruled out the return of the Star League Defense Forces, I apologize. No, we considered it long and hard before setting it aside. Still, Primus, you should understand that 'the Return' is a bogeyman used to explain every unusual group that shows up in the Successor States. Wolf's Dragoons, for example, are the latest in a long line of groups tagged as having come from Kerensky—the Black Widow's surname adding much fuel to that fire. Even so, even if it were true, the Dragoons—and all the other groups before them—have only had 'Mechs with designs and features that date from the time of the Star League. Again, we have no evidence that Kerensky's people had the information or means to produce these new 'Mechs."
"I see." Myndo clasped her hands together, holding them at her waist in a pose of forced calm. "What, then, is the explanation you favor?"
The Precentor Martial hesitated for a moment. "Most of the explanations were mundane and ranged from a Periphery pirate band running across a hidden, Star League-vintage research station to a variation on any of a hundred 'lost colony' tales. Still, none of them possessed technology beyond that of the Star-League era. We need more evidence before verifying any conclusion, but I believe we must not rule out the possibility that these are non-humans."
That's impossible! Myndo's mind reeled at the thought of another sentient race because it pounded away at the foundation of her reality. She had been taught that mankind was the pinnacle of evolution, and was meant to rule the stars. ComStar, of course, would lead mankind to the fulfillment of its destiny. Her thoughts insisted that there could be no other sentients in the universe—but if there were, they would have to be destroyed.
Myndo glared at Focht "Why would another species use 'Mechs so similar to ours?"
The Precentor Martial's quick smile unsettled her. "It is as simple as it is horrifying, Primus. This is a race that has mastered the ultimate evolutionary tool: conscious genetic manipulation. They adapt quickly and efficiently. They mold themselves to their environment and then, like any sentient species, they manipulate the environment to broaden the niche they have chosen."
Before she could voice an objection, Focht continued his explanation. "Recall, if you will, the protonaria from the Davion world of Gambier. Those multicelled creatures ingest and co-opt genetic material from their meals. In this way, when food is scarce, they eat plants and develop chloroplasts so they can produce their own food. When Gambier's orbit places that dust cloud between it and the sun, the protonaria live off the scavenger bacteria that live off the dying plants.
"If you remember, protonaria were in great demand as a novelty item forty years ago. People would raise them in an aquarium and feed them virus-laden solutions. The different viruses would contain the genes for coloration, including lucifrase, so a tank of protonaria would be a multicolored, swirling mass that could even glow in the dark."
Myndo's anxiety locked a frown onto her features. "Those are simple creatures, Precentor. Protonaria could hardly pilot 'Mechs."
Focht's quick nod marked his agreement with her. "Imagine a higher creature, Primus, one capable of more complex genetic assimilation. It would only need to obtain human genetic material to be able to assume our form. If it could consciously manipulate its development, it could even begin to maximize its new potential."
Myndo shuddered. "How would it get. . . . Blake's Blood—Kerensky!"
The Precentor Martial nodded sadly, mourning the demise of a superior military mind. "As wild as it seems, we cannot discount the possibility that somewhere out there Kerensky and his people settled on a world that harbored these things and that it spelled the end for them. As we've not heard from Kerensky or his people, this could easily explain what happened to them."
His expression grew pained and his good eye focused distantly. "The assault could have come in any of a million different ways. To my mind, the most gruesome comes as a perversion of everything we hold dear. Imagine one of these creatures digging down into a grave and consuming just a piece of a dead body. Within a week or a month or a year— however long it took—the creature would become the person whose DNA it ingested."
Myndo's hands fell to her sides and clenched into fists. "The creatures would have been welcomed by the kin that had been left behind. Even if they remembered nothing of their former lives, their appearance would have been marked as a miracle."

I poo poo YOU NOT

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 4, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

elitebuster posted:

Wow...Good luck :ese::ese::ese:

Sidenote: people have been criticizing the WoB as crazy, with a stupid cartoonishly evil master plan, but is it really a surprize? The group they split off from thought it more plausible that the clans were shape-stealling, mind-absorbing alien lifeform that ate Kerensky's men, stole their Mech technology, made new mechs, and came back to the IS than the (true) idea that the clans had decended from the members of the Exodus. All I'm saying is, Crazy runs in the family, so to speak.

Wait, what? I'm going to call [citation needed] on that.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Wait, what? I'm going to call [citation needed] on that.

No, that is exactly what Myndo Waterly and the old Primus, Julian Tiepolo, decided the Clans simply HAD to be on first report. That is not exaggerated in any way. The Primus and Waterly only decided they were what they really were after Focht went and met them.

edit: First book of the Blood of Kerensky trilogy, iirc

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Anyone up for some MegaMek tonight? Last night watching a little Flea take 3 assault mech alpha strikes at point blank range was an absolute blast.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^ Strongly tempted, but it'd have to be done and dusted within about three hours.

Mukaikubo posted:

No, that is exactly what Myndo Waterly and the old Primus, Julian Tiepolo, decided the Clans simply HAD to be on first report. That is not exaggerated in any way. The Primus and Waterly only decided they were what they really were after Focht went and met them.

edit: First book of the Blood of Kerensky trilogy, iirc
I have a strong suspicion that Focht was loving with her TBH.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
I'm up for one knoxzone, if you wish.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

I have a strong suspicion that Focht was loving with her TBH.

Well depending on when Focht decided Waterly was a crazy loon it's entirely possible. On the other hand based on what they saw plus further conflicts in which <REDACTED> would be seen, their crazy theory might have actually won out had Focht not met with the Clans.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

Well depending on when Focht decided Waterly was a crazy loon it's entirely possible. On the other hand based on what they saw plus further conflicts in which <REDACTED> would be seen, their crazy theory might have actually won out had Focht not met with the Clans.

You mean like... in our timeline?

Only I think PTN has decided that theory is too goddamned nutbar even for this.

And yeah, I am down for megamek since I am present!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Angry_Ed posted:

I think he knew she was easily impressed and not the sharpest from a ways back, but not *quite* how crazy until Scorpion. TBH, even Shin Yodama wasn't sure the <REDACTED> weren't aliens when he saw them first, and he got a pretty good look. Focht isn't the kind of character to be dumb enough to take the most insane explanation to be the true one though.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

KnoxZone posted:

Anyone up for some MegaMek tonight? Last night watching a little Flea take 3 assault mech alpha strikes at point blank range was an absolute blast.

What time tonight? I missed the last two and don't want to keep feeling left out. :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Should we get an IRC channel registered for this or something?

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Should we get an IRC channel registered for this or something?
That would probably be best. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it tonight, and sifting through huge thread for a game of MegaMek happening at an undeclared time is far less efficient than just popping into IRC for a bit.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Man, PTN, that's a hell of a scenario you have cooked up here. Devilish, even. The Caballeros have their work cut out.

You guys may actually want to take potshots at the Goblin and APC when you get the chance, them being able to cart the infantry around could become a major pain in the rear end later on if you let them do so. Not a lot of hills for cover, but you've got plenty of trees, so there's that too. Good luck though, since this one looks like it'll be a lot trickier than the last.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

We might should. I am on #megamek in synIRC if anyone is around IRC anyway. It would help because I am not entirely sure I *can* host, but let's give it a shot:

I am running the last stable, 34.9

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

KnoxZone posted:

Is there a specific server to connect to? Also any basic troubleshooting tips for when I inevitably bungle something as this is the first time I've used the software? :downs:

Edit: Oh god damnit right as I hit post.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
I will second that tip to go for the vehicles. Every turn they're alive is a turn they can be moving Cappie infantry, or just shooting at hostages on their own, and thanks to the crit rules they will go poof MUCH faster than the Mechs.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm half wondering if the Goblin and the APC might have infantry that are already embarked and just waiting for PTN to move them into position...

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm half wondering if the Goblin and the APC might have infantry that are already embarked and just waiting for PTN to move them into position...

The Goblin had a squad load into it on turn 1.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

KnoxZone posted:

The Goblin had a squad load into it on turn 1.

Missed that part. What about the APC? I know he only listed 4 infantry units in his initial post and I don't recall seeing anything about any infantry mounting up in the APC. It just strikes me as odd that there's an APC at all but it's not being used to move troops yet.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Megamek update!!!!

We broke Megamek with too many people.

So that's funny too.

I am going to start a 34.9 game at the same IP above, someone else start a version 35.20 game at a different IP so we have two different things. And get on #megamek on SynIRC if you can.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

I've got a 35.21 game going at:

Seventyone
Dot
One.eight.eight
point
three-seven
peroid
onehundredthirtyeight

And, uh... What's the IRC server's address? (I think I've got a copy of mIRC installed somewhere...)

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 4, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
irc.synirc.net

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I've got a 35.21 game going at:

Seventyone
Dot
One.eight.eight
point
three-seven
peroid
onehundredthirtyeight

And, uh... What's the IRC server's address? (I think I've got a copy of mIRC installed somewhere...)

port?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
If I was interested in downloading Megamek, what version should I get? I'd like to get myself horribly blown up :3:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Arujei posted:

If I was interested in downloading Megamek, what version should I get? I'd like to get myself horribly blown up :3:

I split the difference and got both different folders :v:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Missed that part. What about the APC? I know he only listed 4 infantry units in his initial post and I don't recall seeing anything about any infantry mounting up in the APC. It just strikes me as odd that there's an APC at all but it's not being used to move troops yet.

Or it's just empty becuase there's 3 units of cappie militia standing around guarding the hostages.

That said, cooking that Goblin while the whole unit of Death Commandos is still inside would make for a fine BBQ.

Some references for the vehicles:

Goblin: 45 tons, 4/6 movement, 8 tons of armor (30 points on front & turret, 24 sides, 20 rear) and the turret is armed with a machinegun (100 shots of ammo) and a large laser. It's pretty tough, but doesn't have that much bite overall.

SRM Carrier: 60 tons, 3/5 movement, 3 tons of armor (12 points all around, no turret) and it's armed with 10(!) SRM6 in the frontal arc, with 4 tons of ammo (60 shots). Kill this thing with PPCs or LRM or Large Lasers and NEVER get close to it or it will gently caress up your poo poo. Getting 60 short-range missiles unloaded into your face is someting that makes even an assault Mech feel uneasy.

Zhukov: 75 tons, 3/5 movement, 11 tons of armor (44 points turret and front, 32 sides and 24 rear) and armed with 2 turret-mounted AC/10s with 20 shots of ammo as well as a SRM6 with 15 shots mounted in the frontal arc. Nasty customer all around.

Wheeled Heavy APC (MG variant): 20 tons, 6/9 wheeled movement (IIRC, it may not enter forests and is more susceptible to motive system damage than tracked vehicles), 3.5 tons of armor (20 front, 13 sides, 10 rear) and it's armed with 6 machineguns (2 in the front and back each and one on each side) who have 300 shots of ammo between them. It's squishy and can't really harm your Mechs. It's however pretty fast and will murder infantry.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I'm thinking our first target should really be the SRM Carrier, because that thing is just too dangerous to let live. The Catapult and Lancelot should target it if they have any sort of chance to.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Honestly all lighting the woods on fire will do in this situation is force everyone out of the woods, I agree that we need to drop anything that is a vehicle with real weapons, because they go down fast, but they can harry.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
You should really ask PTN to specify the chances for the sniper to try and immobilise vehicles. An immobile target gives you a -4 bonus on any to hit roll against it.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
So I thought I'd share with you my first experience in combat using MegaMek with some goons.

quote:

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-5SG (Trast)
Medium Pulse Laser at Centurion CN9-YLW (Shiva); needs 8, rolls 6 : misses.
Medium Pulse Laser at Centurion CN9-YLW (Shiva); needs 8, rolls 2 : misses.
Gauss Rifle at Centurion CN9-YLW (Shiva); needs 8, rolls 3 : misses.

Weapons fire for Centurion CN9-YLW (Shiva)
Autocannon/20 at Hunchback HBK-5SG (Trast); needs 7, rolls 7 : hits HD
Hunchback HBK-5SG (Trast) takes 20 damage to HD. Armor destroyed, <<<SECTION DESTROYED>>>,
*** Hunchback HBK-5SG (Trast) DESTROYED by damage! ***
Critical hit on HD. Roll is 8; 1 location.
<<<CRITICAL HIT>>> on Sensors.

Also for those who can't read a visual representation. :zaeed:

Basically I got owned in glorious and hilarious fashion.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Trast posted:

So I thought I'd share with you my first experience in combat using MegaMek with some goons.

Also for those who can't read a visual representation. :zaeed:

Basically I got owned in glorious and hilarious fashion.

Yeah, not the best showing.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Ouch. My only question is, what is the "HD"?

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
Short for HeaD, yah that was me getting lucky with a AC/20.

Sorry for that being your first combat turn, trast.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Veyrall posted:

Ouch. My only question is, what is the "HD"?

That'd be the "head". Where the pilot sits. :gonk:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Oh, thanks guys. That makes me feel so much better about my Hunchback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Trast posted:

If it makes you feel any better, in the previous game my legless near-death Awesome that had been doing nothing for 10 turns got a through-armor crit on Shiva's nearly fully armored assault mech to detonate his SRM ammo and blow him up giving me a miracle win.

• Locked thread