Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
I haven't had a beast PC since 2004 so I wouldn't know what the kids are playing on their fancy rigs these days. So is there a game generally considered to be the most graphically impressive these days?

Maybe I'm easily impressed but I thought Arma II looked nice when it came out, with all the settings maxed out and a thousand planes, tanks and infantry all shooting the crap out of each other at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
Once Deus Ex: Human Revolution comes out it's going to easily take that title.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Category Fun! posted:

Once Deus Ex: Human Revolution comes out it's going to easily take that title.

Until Crysis 2 comes out, that is :v:

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Battlefield Bad Company 2 is the most graphically impressive game on PC these days, if you ask me. I've never played Black Ops though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Harmonica posted:

I haven't had a beast PC since 2004 so I wouldn't know what the kids are playing on their fancy rigs these days. So is there a game generally considered to be the most graphically impressive these days?

Maybe I'm easily impressed but I thought Arma II looked nice when it came out, with all the settings maxed out and a thousand planes, tanks and infantry all shooting the crap out of each other at night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shZzYkpl5Nk

Seriously looks almost stupidly good. There are even better mods as well.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Stupidly is right; Everything close up looks good and everything more than 10 metres away looks like a four year old finding photoshop filters for the first time.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Harmonica posted:

Well:

-Crysis still looks pretty drat good for a game that came out when it did, esp with tweaks these days.
-Metro2033 is probably the new Crysis until Crysis 2 comes out. It'll bring your system to its knees with everything turned on, but it looks gorgeous.
-Dirt 2 makes some excellent use of Direct X11 and looks amazing as a result.
-Just Cause 2 has a lot of Direct X 10 stuff in it and looks beautiful as well.
-The Witcher 2 (Comes out in May?) but is easily going to be the best looking RPG by a long shot.
-RAGE will probably blow everything out of the water, Crysis 2 included, and probably still run *better* than Crysis 1 or 2 does, since motherfucking John Carmack is involved.

There are probably a few more I'm missing, as this is just off the top of my head.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Anyone able to suggest a tactical RPG for the DS or PS3. Already have FFAdvance, but something similar to that. Preferably with classes and/or skill sets, because that's how I like my RPGS. Thanks.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah, I'm with Category Fun! on this. They've clearly put a lot of work in but jesus, that motion blur is pretty over the top.

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Ah but you see I was an 06 lurker
Not so much a recommendation request here as a "help me work out if I want this".

Gotten interested in two games: Michigan: Report from Hell and Forbidden Siren. Question though: do they have the option to play dialogue in Japanese with subtitles, like Odin Sphere did? Sorry to sound a bit pretentious but I hear the english dub is horrible and I know both will have a lot of it, so.

Captain_Indigo posted:

Anyone able to suggest a tactical RPG for the DS or PS3. Already have FFAdvance, but something similar to that. Preferably with classes and/or skill sets, because that's how I like my RPGS. Thanks.
Revenant Wings was always pretty fun. Entertaining review here: http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=189

VVV yeah actually advance wars is much better

Inverse square fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 4, 2011

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Captain_Indigo posted:

Valkyria Chronicles for PS3, for DS you could try Fire Emblem, Front Mission, FFA2 (Sequel to Advance I believe) or Advance Wars (Though that has no RPG it's still turn based tactics and still fun)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Captain_Indigo posted:

I don't have a PS3 but I enjoyed the first two Disgaea games, and I heard Disgaea 3 was pretty good, too. It's pure anime, though.

Luminaflare mentioned all the good DS SRPGs I can think of except one, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume is a pretty good SRPG.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't have a PS3 but I enjoyed the first two Disgaea games, and I heard Disgaea 3 was pretty good, too. It's pure anime, though.

Luminaflare mentioned all the good DS SRPGs I can think of except one, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume is a pretty good SRPG.

I'm gonna go ahead and second the Disgaea series. The only problems I could maybe see with it is the above mentioned anime stuff and the fact that the game is pretty much all grinding. To give you an idea, the level cap is 9999, and you can reincarnate people back to level 1 to further increase their stats. Items themselves have levels, which can be raised by entering the item world, a 100 floor randomized dungeon. There's usually extra maps that are often harder versions of story maps that are only available after beating the game. And when you finally beat all that, there's new game+.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Captain McStabbin posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and second the Disgaea series. The only problems I could maybe see with it is the above mentioned anime stuff and the fact that the game is pretty much all grinding. To give you an idea, the level cap is 9999, and you can reincarnate people back to level 1 to further increase their stats. Items themselves have levels, which can be raised by entering the item world, a 100 floor randomized dungeon. There's usually extra maps that are often harder versions of story maps that are only available after beating the game. And when you finally beat all that, there's new game+.

It's only all grinding if you want to do post-game stuff that requires grinding. The actual story chapters requires very little grinding, and you can do it with little to no transmigrating, and only occasionally going into the item world. At least, that's how it was in Disgaea 1 and 2.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Inverse square posted:

Not so much a recommendation request here as a "help me work out if I want this".

Gotten interested in two games: Michigan: Report from Hell and Forbidden Siren. Question though: do they have the option to play dialogue in Japanese with subtitles, like Odin Sphere did? Sorry to sound a bit pretentious but I hear the english dub is horrible and I know both will have a lot of it, so.

Revenant Wings was always pretty fun. Entertaining review here: http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=189

VVV yeah actually advance wars is much better

I don't think Forbidden Siren has the option for Japanese with subtitles, and the english dub really is atrocious. It's a good, scary game but because the voiceovers sound like the localisation team dragged people in of the street and ordered them to read a script, it never properly grabbed me. No idea about Michigan.

Kudos for using Consolevania reviews, too.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

I don't think Forbidden Siren has the option for Japanese with subtitles, and the english dub really is atrocious. It's a good, scary game but because the voiceovers sound like the localisation team dragged people in of the street and ordered them to read a script, it never properly grabbed me. No idea about Michigan.

Kudos for using Consolevania reviews, too.

Forbidden Siren 2 does have the option though, and regardless of the bad dubbing in the first they are two games definitely worth playing. God dammit, where's my Siren 3?!

EDIT: If you are going to play the first Siren though don't be afraid to use a guide, it's a terribly unforgiving game as it is without all the second run objectives added in as well. They found a great balance in 2 though.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 6, 2011

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
I've been in the mood lately for RPGs with fair amounts of actual "roleplaying" in 'em. Something where I can influence other characters, choose my responses, maybe even affect the story in small ways. Bonus points if there's customization and some additional fun in collecting items/skills. A fast-paced or action-y combat system is a plus, too.

I don't care whether its a WRPG or JRPG.

Systems I own are PS3, 360, and PC.

Already played and enjoyed:
Fable series
Mass Effect series
Dragon Age Origins

Already played and didn't enjoy:
Elder Scrolls series
Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas
KOTOR
Jade Empire

Planning to play:
The Witcher
Deus Ex
Alpha Protocol

Anything I've missed?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I want to play more classic platformers that are like the 16-bit (i.e., pre-SotN) Castlevanias. Are there any games like this besides Valis?

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Ah but you see I was an 06 lurker
^^^ I feel compelled to recommend a game I was playing an hour ago: Drill Dozer. It's pretty and has fun platforming. Just to make sure though: have you played Castlevania: Bloodlines? It's my favorite in the series, and it's pre SotN

MurraneousX posted:

Forbidden Siren 2 does have the option though, and regardless of the bad dubbing in the first they are two games definitely worth playing. God dammit, where's my Siren 3?!

EDIT: If you are going to play the first Siren though don't be afraid to use a guide, it's a terribly unforgiving game as it is without all the second run objectives added in as well. They found a great balance in 2 though.
Which of the series might you say is best then? Beyond that review all I've heard about this series is Yahtzee's review of Blood Curse.

By the way, for anyone who has joined me in wondering: turns out Michigan doesn't do japanese dialogue.

Inverse square fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 7, 2011

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Back to the ARPG front on the PC, I'm really craving another loot-fest. The last two times this urge came around, I ended up playing through Titan Quest:IT and Sacred II for a third or fourth time. Is there nothing worthy that's currently available?

I've played the Diablos of course, Fate, Torchlight, the Mythos beta, Din's Curse demo (blech), the original Sacred (hated the first one and it's expansion, love Sacred II,) Dungeon Runners... hell, even several roguelikes and other titles I've forgotten.

I need lots of loot. Lots of drops. Lots of shinies.

Am I stuck waiting for Path of Exile and/or D3? Have I overlooked some underrated gem that's currently available?

Manos del Sino fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 7, 2011

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Mung Dynasty posted:

I've been in the mood lately for RPGs with fair amounts of actual "roleplaying" in 'em. Something where I can influence other characters, choose my responses, maybe even affect the story in small ways. Bonus points if there's customization and some additional fun in collecting items/skills. A fast-paced or action-y combat system is a plus, too.

Planning to play:
The Witcher
Deus Ex
Alpha Protocol

Anything I've missed?
All three are great choices for what you're looking for. Deus Ex hasn't aged well, but it's still a good game. Witcher is more of a classic RPG but does have a good and branching story. Alpha Protocol has the most amount of actual "roleplaying" and having the plot change according to your actions.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I want to play more classic platformers that are like the 16-bit (i.e., pre-SotN) Castlevanias. Are there any games like this besides Valis?

Actraiser, Aladdin for the SNES and Genesis (they are similar yet different games), Vectorman for Genesis, Kid Dracula (technically a Castlevania spinoff game), Gargoyles Quest and maybe X-Kaliber or Wonder Boy/Adventure Island.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 7, 2011

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Manos del Sino posted:

Back to the ARPG front on the PC, I'm really craving another loot-fest. The last two times this urge came around, I ended up playing through Titan Quest:IT and Sacred II for a third or fourth time. Is there nothing worthy that's currently available?

I've played the Diablos of course, Fate, Torchlight, the Mythos beta, Din's Curse demo (blech), the original Sacred (hated the first one and it's expansion, love Sacred II,) Dungeon Runners... hell, even several roguelikes and other titles I've forgotten.

I need lots of loot. Lots of drops. Lots of shinies.

Am I stuck waiting for Path of Exile and/or D3? Have I overlooked some underrated gem that's currently available?

Have you played Borderlands? It's not a perfect game but it is decent and it's got a lot of loot.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

K8.0 posted:

Have you played Borderlands? It's not a perfect game but it is decent and it's got a lot of loot.

Yeah, I gave it a shot for a few hours but it didn't grab me. It didn't feel aRPG enough, and felt more like a lacking shooter.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Inverse square posted:

Which of the series might you say is best then? Beyond that review all I've heard about this series is Yahtzee's review of Blood Curse.

If you were to only play one, I'd go with Siren 2. It's more balanced than the first game in all aspects, and it has very few links with the first game except for a few callbacks in the files so no need to worry about jumping into the middle of a story. It also has the language options.

Blood Curse/New Translation is just a fancy new remake of the first game that adds non-Japanese characters and removes the awesome link system that made the first two games so unique, it is not a fair trade..

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
I'm looking for some good PC action/strategy games. Specifically stuff that really rewards spergin' out and developing the best way to play a mission/level/whatever. I just rediscovered my Mechcommander CD after a basement clean and am having a lot of fun getting the missions down perfect. I vaguely remember having fun with the first Rainbow Six back in the day so if there's a "best" one in terms of strategy I'd be interested in that. I'm not necessarily looking for an SRPG although I really enjoyed how the Fire Emblem games were balanced around unit preservation. Era/Graphics don't matter as long as it's not ascii. Help me waste my time!

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
I'm looking for a strategy-ish game to play on a lunch break. Had a lot of fun with Desktop Dungeons and Revenge of the Titans.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

furry drum circle posted:

I'm looking for some good PC action/strategy games. Specifically stuff that really rewards spergin' out and developing the best way to play a mission/level/whatever. I just rediscovered my Mechcommander CD after a basement clean and am having a lot of fun getting the missions down perfect. I vaguely remember having fun with the first Rainbow Six back in the day so if there's a "best" one in terms of strategy I'd be interested in that. I'm not necessarily looking for an SRPG although I really enjoyed how the Fire Emblem games were balanced around unit preservation. Era/Graphics don't matter as long as it's not ascii. Help me waste my time!

I really have to stop recommending this but, Dawn of War 2 sounds like what you might be after. Also the Commandos series is all about using a few guys to to complete a mission and x-com is also in that vain (and allows for extreme 'spergin).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Luminaflare posted:

I really have to stop recommending this but, Dawn of War 2 sounds like what you might be after. Also the Commandos series is all about using a few guys to to complete a mission and x-com is also in that vain (and allows for extreme 'spergin).

Commandos is almost more of a puzzle game, but if "Finding the perfect way to complete a level" is your goal, then it's great for that. The entire game is about studying the enemy unit's patterns and using the individual abilities of each of your commandos to accomplish the level objectives (which are always something more interesting than "kill all the dudes").

*edit* you can find all 3 games on gog.com, but I've only played the first so I can't attest to the quality of the sequels.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Get over to the X-Com thread and get your sperg on! There's an insane amount of strategy there. I wouldn't recommend trying to play it "perfectly" unless you like savescumming.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

furry drum circle posted:

SpaceChem might be for you. It's a logic/puzzle game where you are supposed to create chains of reactors so that they create/rearrange molecules. It tracks the amount of time and parts your solution takes to complete and compares it to the average in a bell-curve. So there's plenty of sperging potential to optimise the hell out of your complex.

You can also take a loot at Gratuitous Space Battles where you can choose the equipment of your spaceships, build flotillas with them and give them general orders. The actual combat part is completely automated and governed by orders you gave during the planning stage.
Once again there is plenty of potential to optimise and toy around with your ship blueprints and fleet layout. You can try and win the challenges agaisnt the AI-fleets with the minimal amount of ships possible or alternatively create an unbeatable setup that other players can try to beat.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
This is less of a game recommendation question and more of a game advice question, but I tried playing Baldur's Gate II and I found it pretty confusing, difficult, and vague. Should I go back and play the first one? I've played plenty of classic RPGs before - Planescape, Fallout, Neverwinter Nights, etc. - but something about BG's old-school DND (is that 2nd edition?) mechanics just killed me.

Also, are there any 4e games out there? (Don't say WoW :v:)

doctor iono fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 8, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I wouldn't recommend it based on what you said, they're exactly the same gameplay in exactly the same engine with almost exactly the same ruleset.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

SheepNameKiller posted:

I wouldn't recommend it based on what you said, they're exactly the same gameplay in exactly the same engine with almost exactly the same ruleset.

Yes, but from what I understand, Baldur's Gate 1 starts you off at a lower level and might be more patient with introducing the game mechanics. Maybe?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

doctor iono posted:

Yes, but from what I understand, Baldur's Gate 1 starts you off at a lower level and might be more patient with introducing the game mechanics. Maybe?

Actually Balder's Gate 1 is a lot harder and more merciless.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

doctor iono posted:

Nah, the first Baldur's Gate almost requires you to minmax your character from the start and understand the ruleset completely to avoid being torn apart for the entire first half of the game. I think BG2 is pretty much the place to start. If you manage to finish it and you're hankerin' for more, then you should play though the first one and treat it like a prequel.

Also, there aren't any 4e games out there right now (I think). Neverwinter Nights 2 uses the 3.5 ruleset, though. I thought it was incredibly fun, but a lot of folks don't like NWN games so I may be in the minority there.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Cowcatcher posted:

I'm looking for a strategy-ish game to play on a lunch break. Had a lot of fun with Desktop Dungeons and Revenge of the Titans.

Maybe try Weird Worlds. It's specifically designed to be played in short 15-30 minute runs.

Billy Bob FORTRAN
Nov 4, 2007

*THIS IS*
*HOW A*
*SOLDIER*
*~LIVES~*

:qqsay:
I've been trying to find a really spergy kind of sim that isn't a flight sim. Not really something that lets me live out my dream of being a Tokyo bus driver, but something that lets me gently caress up in a very realistic environment. Stuff like Jagged Alliance 2 would count as well, just because of the level of detail.

Age doesn't really matter, as long as I'm not playing in pre-VGA or something.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Danger Mahoney posted:

Nah, the first Baldur's Gate almost requires you to minmax your character from the start and understand the ruleset completely to avoid being torn apart for the entire first half of the game. I think BG2 is pretty much the place to start. If you manage to finish it and you're hankerin' for more, then you should play though the first one and treat it like a prequel.

Also, there aren't any 4e games out there right now (I think). Neverwinter Nights 2 uses the 3.5 ruleset, though. I thought it was incredibly fun, but a lot of folks don't like NWN games so I may be in the minority there.

That's too bad about BG. Guess I'll start up BG2 again, this time maybe on a lower difficulty setting.

And yeah, I played through Neverwinter Nights 2 and Mask of the Betrayer and loved them. Still, I was hoping there was something newer. Oh well! I'm sure someone will make one eventually. Maybe Obsidian...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Billy Bob FORTRAN posted:

I've been trying to find a really spergy kind of sim that isn't a flight sim. Not really something that lets me live out my dream of being a Tokyo bus driver, but something that lets me gently caress up in a very realistic environment. Stuff like Jagged Alliance 2 would count as well, just because of the level of detail.

Age doesn't really matter, as long as I'm not playing in pre-VGA or something.

Mercenaries 2 is pretty good for that sort of thing, I hear.