Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Yechezkel posted:

One difference is that games played on the 3000 model can be played on a TV through a component connection. The 1000 model cannot do this.

and if you get the Go, you can use a dualshock 3 controller (2 analog sticks!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

There's only like one game designed to take advantage of two analog sticks though.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

redreader posted:

and if you get the Go, you can use a dualshock 3 controller (2 analog sticks!)

So wait, if you have a PSP Go you can do TV-out and use a PS3 controller? If they dip in price thanks to the NGP I might have to buy one.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

So wait, if you have a PSP Go you can do TV-out and use a PS3 controller? If they dip in price thanks to the NGP I might have to buy one.

Yep, and they've already dipped in price, $150 CAD is an extremely common "sale" price at the moment.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Spuzzz posted:

A lot of sales this week:

Class of Heroes Legacy – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Crimson Gem Saga – Sale (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $29.99)
Hammerin’ Hero – Sale (PSP) (now $9.99, original price $19.99)
Hexyz Force – Sale (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $29.99)
Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Knights in the Nightmare – Sale (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $29.99)
Riviera: The Promised Land – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
R-Type Command – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Steamboat Chronicles Battle Tournament – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Yggdra Union – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)

Any general recommendations outside of the Persona games? Half Minute Hero's price also dropped, but that permanent, not a sale.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I bought Half-Minute Hero and Persona 3. Waiting for a 16gb M2 MemoryStick to arrive before I install Persona (1 GB), but I'm absolutely loving Half-Minute Hero (100 MB). It's more of a puzzle/quick-strategy game than RPG really.

Didn't you get the memo? They suck and are worthless according to The Internet. (I've had mine since near release and love it. Haven't touched my 1000 ever since.)

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Well I am pretty fond of custom firmware abilities and have a hard time swallowing buying a remake of hardware I already own, so I have held off.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I wouldn't push it on anyone ... everyone's situation is different. I saw it as a way to keep my custom firmware 1000 and to have a legit "modern" PSP. But honestly, I just haven't given a crap about any of the homebrew stuff I used to use since. Also don't need to worry about ripping UMDs anymore since everything new is downloaded to flash anyway. (Amusingly some ripped UMDs loaded too fast to read the tutorial hint screens. It was essential for Wipeout Pulse though because god drat did that otherwise fantastic game load slowly.)

Homebrew made sense to me when the PSP was new and the offerings weren't incredible, but there's so much great retail stuff out there nowadays. I could finally move on from my drat NES game heh.

edit:

Finally found the money to buy flash memory for my Go. I'll be so happy to be able to fit TV, music and ... lectures on here again.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 3, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't know how a PSP looks with TV out cables, but if it's anything like how it looks when you stretch the image to even just 2x in RemoteJoyLite, it aint pretty. Of course, I don't know if it properly upscales the image or just stretches it, but I imagine it just stretches it. Nothing at that low a resolution is meant to be displayed on a TV.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Just stretches. But I mean, it's not that different from playing SD consoles. PSX games look fine to me but I sit a little further back from PSP games and they look fine :D

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Well I am pretty fond of custom firmware abilities and have a hard time swallowing buying a remake of hardware I already own, so I have held off.

Just so you know, the PSPgo, while doesn't have custom firmware, can launch homebrew.

So I dunno, it's the most portable of all the PSPs, has 16 gigs internal memory, same battery life, and you can easily get one from amazon warehouse (they sell open box items, but they're basically new) for like $130 bucks.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Just so you know, the PSPgo, while doesn't have custom firmware, can launch homebrew.

So I dunno, it's the most portable of all the PSPs, has 16 gigs internal memory, same battery life, and you can easily get one from amazon warehouse (they sell open box items, but they're basically new) for like $130 bucks.

Yeah, but I have to imagine when the NGP actually comes out there will be some sub-$100 deals.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know how a PSP looks with TV out cables, but if it's anything like how it looks when you stretch the image to even just 2x in RemoteJoyLite, it aint pretty. Of course, I don't know if it properly upscales the image or just stretches it, but I imagine it just stretches it. Nothing at that low a resolution is meant to be displayed on a TV.

It really depends on your TV's ability to display the strange resolution the PSP puts out. If it has something that can accommodate, it can look decent enough.

Edit: sorry about the table-breaking.

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?
Anyone else think the charger lead for the psp -3000 is ridiculously short? I know it's really minor but it cant be more than a metre long

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

teethgrinder posted:

I bought Half-Minute Hero

I have been curious about that one. How is it?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's a time-management puzzle game dressed up like an old-school RPG.

It's charming and fun, and I'm finding it quite challenging by the 4th stage.

My 16 GB SanDisk M2 stick already arrived, so I get to try Persona 3 soon. I should probably get around to finishing Suikoden and FF IX first though, heh.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 3, 2011

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Apparently Ys 1 & 2 Chronicles has been pushed back to the 22nd. I got an email from Amazon saying my order was being delayed until then.

Guess it's to keep it from conflicting with Tactics Ogre. Oh well, gives me more time to fiddle around with MvC3 that week.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Saoshyant posted:

My brother gave it to me swearing that it's the best game ever made, and it turns out it's a hell of a lot of fun.

It's a puzzle game with time elements and RPG elements.

For the Hero, in one level you might have to get a special sword and level up and beat a boss before time runs out. In another, you might have to go through a maze. Standard jrpg stuff in puzzle form.

Then there's also an srpg and like tactical rpg kind of modes for a dark lord and a princess, and I think you can unlock others? I haven't gotten that far yet, having only played like an hour.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
There's something like 6 modes in total and you basically need to beat and/or 100% all the other modes to unlock them all. I've really only beaten Hero 30 and it was worth every penny.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Saoshyant posted:

PSN has a demo if you want to give it a shot. Seemed kinda fun, I'll probably pick it up at some point after I shovel a few more paycheques at the massive pile of RPGs/SRPGs I want.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Half Minute Hero is probably the best game I've ever played. I'm not even sure if I'm exaggerating.

Someone post the main menu music again.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Hero 30 is great, the other modes not so much.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

supervipping posted:

Hero 30 is great, the other modes not so much.
Hero 3 owned, I'm sorry.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

quakster posted:

Half Minute Hero is probably the best game I've ever played. I'm not even sure if I'm exaggerating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIRQ1j169fU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

quakster posted:

It was in my 2009 top 10 for all games released that year.

It also has one of the most surprisingly emotional moments I've experienced with a game in a long time.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 4, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm leaving on a trip out of the country for a while and while there, will have zero access to internet/phone/email or anything (Barbados, specifically). Now, obviously, I'm going to be spending most of my time out and about but during the downtime at night and in the airport, I want to be able to have something to entertain me other than books and such, so I was trying to think of portable options.

Specifically, the game Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for the PSP has me all :circlefap: as a spiritual successor/hybrid of Ogre Battle and Final Fantasy Tactics. The only problem is that I'm having trouble justifying the purchase of a PSP for this game alone since there are virtually no other games for PSP that I've heard of that interest me. On top of that, if I buy it on UMD the next-gen PSP coming out this year is going to make backwards compat. impossible.

I've also been looking at maybe getting a DS, or considering a tablet that I can take with.

Anyone have any recommendations, or want to share their PSP experience? With being this close to the effective end of the current gen PSP lifespan, would you recommend picking one up, just for this trip (and potential trips in the future?)

e: I posted this in the games thread (:downs: ), but I figured I'd get a better response in the dedicated PSP thread

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gazaville Slugger posted:

I'm leaving on a trip out of the country for a while and while there, will have zero access to internet/phone/email or anything (Barbados, specifically). Now, obviously, I'm going to be spending most of my time out and about but during the downtime at night and in the airport, I want to be able to have something to entertain me other than books and such, so I was trying to think of portable options.

Specifically, the game Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for the PSP has me all :circlefap: as a spiritual successor/hybrid of Ogre Battle and Final Fantasy Tactics. The only problem is that I'm having trouble justifying the purchase of a PSP for this game alone since there are virtually no other games for PSP that I've heard of that interest me. On top of that, if I buy it on UMD the next-gen PSP coming out this year is going to make backwards compat. impossible.

I've also been looking at maybe getting a DS, or considering a tablet that I can take with.

Anyone have any recommendations, or want to share their PSP experience? With being this close to the effective end of the current gen PSP lifespan, would you recommend picking one up, just for this trip (and potential trips in the future?)

e: I posted this in the games thread (:downs: ), but I figured I'd get a better response in the dedicated PSP thread

Actually the PSP Tactics Ogre game is a remake of a SNES game that predates FFT, its development team then immediately went on to make FFT after making Tactics Ogre. And it's not just a spiritual successor to Ogre Battle, but an actual sequel! It's a great game, and the upcoming PSP remake looks incredibly good.

As for whether or not to get a PSP, it depends on what type of games interest you. There's at least a few other SRPGs that you may enjoy for it, including Jeanne D'Arc, and Disgaea 1 and 2.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

I love my PSP. I only have a handful of PSP games, but I've moved over my physical collection of PSX/SNES/GB/GBA games too. No more UMDs needed! All of the previously mentioned games are on one 16GB memory stick.

It takes a little bit of work from your end to get it this way, but it's incredibly worth it. I have a PSP 2000, which makes it a little easier to do.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 4, 2011

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

I love my PSP and sold my DS because I just wasn't interested in it anymore. Stuff I've enjoyed: Valkyrie Profile, Kingdom Hearts, Persona 3, Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (more for SotN), Jeanne D'arc, Y's. I've started Knights in the Nightmare which looks interesting and has to have the most in depth tutorial I've ever seen and Tales of the World which is dungeon crawler with the Tales battle system.
I've never bothered to crack it and have still gotten tons of use out of it. I suppose I handled my emulation bug back on the PC back when FF5 and Secret of Mana 3 were the big thing.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Ragequit posted:

I love my PSP. I only have a handful of PSP games, but I've moved over my physical collection of PSX/SNES/GB/GBA games too. No more UMDs needed! All of the previously mentioned games are on one 16GB memory stick.

It takes a little bit of work from your end to get it this way, but it's incredibly worth it. I have a PSP 2000, which makes it a little easier to do.

Without getting all :files:, is that only achievable with the custom Pandora firmware and a specific PSP model? I have a number of hardcopy SNES/PSX/GB/GBA games that'd be awesome to play with on a portable. It looks like only the 1000-2000 models support it, and I was having a hard time finding anything other than the 3000 online. How hard is it to do?

Additionally, what is the video/music/internet experience on the PSP like?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Although asking in this thread probably wont allow the DS to have its fair shake, it has a huge catalog of great games to pick from as well. You could go with either handheld and be entertained throughout your entire trip.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Without getting all :files:, is that only achievable with the custom Pandora firmware and a specific PSP model? I have a number of hardcopy SNES/PSX/GB/GBA games that'd be awesome to play with on a portable. It looks like only the 1000-2000 models support it, and I was having a hard time finding anything other than the 3000 online. How hard is it to do?

The homebrew thread has a lot more information on how to get emulators and stuff up and running, but right now it's literally just putting a few folders on your memory stick and running a program (on your psp) and then the emulator. This works on any model of PSP, too.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I had a ds for 2007-mid '10 and when it got stolen I got a psp and peace walker.

I liked my DS but feel like the psp is a better machine. I can watch movies on it, MGS: peace walker was my game of the year including all platforms last year, I'm loving VC2 (I bought 1 for ps3 and loved it, now 2 on psp) which I have been playing every gym session for the last 2-3 months, too.

Other great games I've played:
-Persona 3, if you like JRPG's
-Half Minute hero

I have more games (god of war, tekken, warriors, jeanne d'arc) but they remain unopened due to my unplayed game library.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I just wish some game companies OUTSIDE of japan would actually release stuff. It seems 90% of the PSP library are japanese games. Not that I have a problem with that, but it certainly can kill the variety

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

I'll just direct you here -- much better instructions: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3227170&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post368263939

Don't be put off by the instructions, it's really not that difficult. I ordered a Pandora battery online for $8 I think, which included shipping. Made a magic stick (just a few files on a memory stick, which you can later erase), and started. In less than an hour I was playing games with zero problems.

As for the music/video/internet, I can't say much about it. I've primarily used the PSP for games.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
I only recently got a PSP but I absolutely fell in love. I got a 1000, had to have a 2000, and now I bought another broken 1000 to mod a bit.

I've played a LOT of psp games. I jumped in head first, and I'm really glad it didn't bit me in the rear end.

Games I have loved, since I avoided all hype, all news, everything about these games and purchased entirely on videos from youtube of gameplay:

Loco Roco 2
Patapon 2
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Half-Minute Hero
ZHP (this one I found because of a forums thread, so I did have some influence)
Pangya Golf
Need for Speed Underground
Dungeon Siege Throne of Agony

The system seems to keep throwing gems at me, so much in fact that I got a gamefly account to rent them rather than buy and just keep cycling fun games, and sending crap back. I recently tried fat princess, which wasn't fun, and warhammer 40k from my brother's recommendation, which was not my style of game.

I genuinely love the psp. I put movies on it that my kids like to watch, I constantly have something to do, like today when my wife had a tooth pulled, I just threw one in my pocket and off we went. I can't wait for psp2, but for now, I am really very happy with my psp.

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?
In FFT:WOTL, how do you see the current job level of a character? Is changing your job and looking back the only way?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Although asking in this thread probably wont allow the DS to have its fair shake, it has a huge catalog of great games to pick from as well. You could go with either handheld and be entertained throughout your entire trip.

The DS is a great handheld too (I own both) but availability of niche titles like RPGs/SRPGs can be really poor. The Playstation Network makes a massive difference for buying stuff like year old Atlus/NIS titles.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Availability of older titles is one of the greatest strengths of digital distribution.

I personally like the fact that all this poo poo isn't being printed/duplicated and eventually thrown out.

(Yet I still buy Blurays and the occasional special-edition CD)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I hate to be so dense on this, but the homebrew OP is a little confusing to me. On a 3000, you simply need to run the ChickHEN software each time you use your PSP to run homebrew software, correct? No "magic memory stick" or Pandora battery required?

I think that's about the only thing stopping me at this point - if it's fairly simple on the PSP3000 versions to get the homebrew stuff up and running I'll probably bite. I've done installation of custom firmware and stuff before, so I'm not SUPER deterred by it, but would appreciate a more step-by-step guide for the newer model.

• Locked thread