Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

bananasinpajamas posted:

Also, I'm going to update the OP with all the goon-run podcasts, so if you have one, link to it and give a short description.

Cool! I do a show called Digital Porridge, the basis of which is that I'm American (living in England), my friend is British, and we go back and forth about various aspects of either culture as well as catch up on what we've done lately.

The show is weekly and 30-35 minutes per episode.

The blog with show notes is at http://www.digitalporridge.net, with direct download links and you can listen to the latest shows from the web page. You can subscribe at RSS feed and iTunes link

I'd appreciate any feedback from any goons, either by PM, posting on the blog, iTunes reviews, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

ibntumart posted:

Was that the one where he joked about Phil Hartman?

That, Scott Thompson and Maura Tierney among others. It was really great.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Man, I'm listening to the WTF Gallagher one now and almost every single time Maron says something Gallagher has to re-phrase it, even if it's not different at all from what was originally said. It's infuriating.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

big business sloth posted:

Man, I'm listening to the WTF Gallagher one now and almost every single time Maron says something Gallagher has to re-phrase it, even if it's not different at all from what was originally said. It's infuriating.

He always has to be right.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Give Gallagher a break. He's been dealing with yes fruit for 30 years. Being able to smash everyone you know gives you a false feeling of entitlement.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003
Apparently (some) Canadian news outlets are running with the story about Dave Foley not being able to return to Canada. I also just found out his first wife is Tabatha Southey, who is a "humour" columnist for the Globe and Mail, which is basically Canada's USA Today.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
On the plus side, Jeff Ulrich revealed on the last wolfden podcast that his plan for monetizing Earwolf involves wifi reception in people's cars.

So that won't be happening any time soon.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Can I just say that I love that El Chupacabra's closing bit at the end of each Earwolf podcast?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Strange Matter posted:

Can I just say that I love that El Chupacabra's closing bit at the end of each Earwolf podcast?

....DE WOLF DEAD.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Strange Matter posted:

EARWOLF RADIO PUNNTOOOO COMMMMMMMMM AWOOOOOOOOOO NEEEERRRRRR PSSKSKSHSKHSKSKSHKSHSKSH

de wolf dead.

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

Apparently (some) Canadian news outlets are running with the story about Dave Foley not being able to return to Canada. I also just found out his first wife is Tabatha Southey, who is a "humour" columnist for the Globe and Mail, which is basically Canada's USA Today.

Hopefully something is done about it, because the way it sounded on WTF it was horribly unfair. Makes me scared of getting married for sure.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Strange Matter posted:

I have literally never heard it until right this second, and I subscribe to all the Earwolf stuff. This made my night.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

bananasinpajamas posted:

Also, I'm going to update the OP with all the goon-run podcasts, so if you have one, link to it and give a short description.

I'm a goon, I run a podcast! https://www.deadideavalhalla.com

It's called Dead Idea Valhalla. It's short and weekly and features all original music in addition to other bits. The standard format is a five to ten minute rant on whatever, or just telling a (hopefully) amusing or interesting story, then a song, either by me or a band I was once in, then a produced bit, with either me or with one of my friends. I think the second episode is a good one to start with to see if the humor is for you.

I also did a couple dozen episodes of a podcast called The Butterfield Family Dinocast, which was a more traditional Get a Bunch of Dudes in a Room and Have Them Talk About Something show. It's on my site as well.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
I've been listening to past episodes of Comedy Death Ray Radio to pass the time at work tonight, and I think Episode 67 (Rob Corddry, Lake Bell, PFT's Cake Boss) has the best Would You Rather of all.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Forum Hussy posted:

I've been listening to past episodes of Comedy Death Ray Radio to pass the time at work tonight, and I think Episode 67 (Rob Corddry, Lake Bell, PFT's Cake Boss) has the best Would You Rather of all.

That is seriously one of the best Would you Rather of all time. Me and my girlfriend still quote that poo poo. We call our toes tippy toes all the time.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
Nothing makes me more angry than when people dont take Would You Rather serious like the last podcast! You hear me Maria?

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

Forum Hussy posted:

Five words:

Five, four, three, nose, one.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Fans of The Best Show, Tom Scharpling is on CDR radio today. I'm personally not a huge fan, but many of my friends and you goons are.

Oh and Weird Al. Never thought I'd hear him say the words "baby raping".

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

NecronSchmecron posted:

Fans of The Best Show, Tom Scharpling is on CDR radio today. I'm personally not a huge fan, but many of my friends and you goons are.

Oh and Weird Al. Never thought I'd hear him say the words "baby raping".
I don't find Weird Al all that funny when he's on podcasts. He's too reserved and straight forward and chill. He's interesting to talk to but doesn't live up to his identity I guess.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Tenik posted:

Gallagher was saying photon, not proton. And every chemistry related thing he said was correct. He just did a really bad job explaining it.

I stand corrected, then. I could have sworn he said proton several times. A lot of it smacked of :tinfoil: How do we know cell phones & MRI's are safe when they shoot photons at our brains?!? I'M JUST ASKING QUESTIONS.

It just blows my mind that Gallagher didn't understand or refused to understand what Marc was saying about the repercussions of racist & homophobic jokes.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Teepkick Shakur posted:

Nothing makes me more angry than when people dont take Would You Rather serious like the last podcast! You hear me Maria?

I love whenever it turns out that both Would You Rather scenarios exist in the same reality, and especially when you end up having to do both anyway.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Strange Matter posted:

I don't find Weird Al all that funny when he's on podcasts. He's too reserved and straight forward and chill. He's interesting to talk to but doesn't live up to his identity I guess.

I like him on interviews but not a huge fan of his comedy. He feels like the opposite of Gallagher actually, an older, gimmick, comedian but he actually respects people with other views on humor, and seems neat to talk with.

Haven't listened to today's CDR but looks like a good one.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

"What if every time Yolk from Egg gets mad... he says the N word?"

The history of Mork and Mindy has been re-written on CDR...

King Lou fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 7, 2011

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Today's CDR was a instant classic. Paul F Tompkins and Tom Scharpling are amazing together (Check out their two parter together on Comedy And Everything Else if you enjoyed it). I don't listen to the Best Show, but I would assume PFT has been on before. Are there any standout episodes that anyone can suggest?

I only know of Happy Days, Mork & Mindy etc. from clips and maybe one or two episodes seen as a young kid (I'm 29), but all the jokes were hilarious nonetheless. One of the most intricately weird backstories for a Would You Rather in a while.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Wyld Cannon posted:

Today's CDR was a instant classic. Paul F Tompkins and Tom Scharpling are amazing together (Check out their two parter together on Comedy And Everything Else if you enjoyed it). I don't listen to the Best Show, but I would assume PFT has been on before. Are there any standout episodes that anyone can suggest?

Check out 7/21/09. It features PFT in studio and the infamous "Gathering of the Juggalos" segment.

https://happyvalleynews.wordpress.com/tag/the-gathering-of-the-juggalos/

Incidentally this was the episode I started listening, and I've been hooked ever since.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Wyld Cannon posted:

I only know of Happy Days, Mork & Mindy etc. from clips and maybe one or two episodes seen as a young kid (I'm 29), but all the jokes were hilarious nonetheless. One of the most intricately weird backstories for a Would You Rather in a while.

Oh man....You need to immediately go listen to PFT and Scharpling deconstruct the "Gathering of the Juggalos" ad. It is going to be one of the funniest things you ever hear. The episode from July 21st, 2009. Go listen, now.

EDIT: GRRRR I WANTED TO ADVISE HIM TO LISTEN TO THAT EPISODE!

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Sorry! At least there's a consensus.

The one thing I would say about The Best Show is a lot of its humor is based on long-form jokes and repetition from week to week, particularly the Jon Wurster bits. It's not Arrested Development, and you don't need to start at the beginning to get anything, but I think the longer you listen the more rewarding it is.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Narwhale posted:

Check out 7/21/09. It features PFT in studio and the infamous "Gathering of the Juggalos" segment.

https://happyvalleynews.wordpress.com/tag/the-gathering-of-the-juggalos/

Incidentally this was the episode I started listening, and I've been hooked ever since.

This link doesn't seem to work for me, anyone else have better luck?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Maarak posted:

This link doesn't seem to work for me, anyone else have better luck?

Worked for me on the 1st click. Your computer may be haunted!

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

King Lou posted:

Worked for me on the 1st click. Your computer may be haunted!

let me rephrase then, the link on that page for the actual episode with PFT talking about the juggalos doesn't work for me.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Holy Crap, Conan O'Brien is on NNF again! Elliot is releasing the video earlier and earlier this season.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Maarak posted:

let me rephrase then, the link on that page for the actual episode with PFT talking about the juggalos doesn't work for me.

Here you go, Best Show Archives. The Juggalo bit starts around 1 h 27 m on 7/21/09.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Narwhale posted:

Here you go, Best Show Archives. The Juggalo bit starts around 1 h 27 m on 7/21/09.

Doesn't want to work in Chrome, but worked fine in IE8. Quite odd.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Maarak posted:

Yeah, I'd rather download it at home and listen to it because streaming at work is frowned upon. If anyone has a working MP3 link or the file itself, please share it :(

edit: http://files.dropbox.com/u/280367/bestshow-tom_and_paul_ponder_juggalos.mp3 I found a 24 minute clip of them talking about it, but would rather hear the whole show.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

ALFbrot posted:

Yeah, I'd rather download it at home and listen to it because streaming at work is frowned upon. If anyone has a working MP3 link or the file itself, please share it :(

edit: http://files.dropbox.com/u/280367/bestshow-tom_and_paul_ponder_juggalos.mp3 I found a 24 minute clip of them talking about it, but would rather hear the whole show.

Full show (haven't downloaded this so can't vouch for the contents etc):

http://www.mediafire.com/?2121tjdnudd

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Narwhale posted:

Full show (haven't downloaded this so can't vouch for the contents etc):

http://www.mediafire.com/?2121tjdnudd

link is good, dig in.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

quote:

June 15, 2010: The Legendary PAUL F TOMPKINS Is Live In The Studio Along With Puppet WALLY WACKIMAN And Tom's Protegee THE H-MAN! A Call From DAMIAN From F'ed Up. The Musical Pacings Of The West Wing Are Discussed And More! You Can't Miss This One!
This is always my go-to Best Show recommendation. The Spike and Milo calls are amazing.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?

NecronSchmecron posted:

Holy Crap, Conan O'Brien is on NNF again! Elliot is releasing the video earlier and earlier this season.

Fuckkkkk yes you just made my night.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003
I love the Gathering of the Juggalos discussion, if only for the 40-60 second part where both Paul and Tom are just laughing hysterically. It's incredible.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I don't remember which episode it was, but the first time I listened to PFT on The Best Show this little kid called in to talk about his last D & D session but Tom & Paul kept spinning all his statements like he was some homicidal maniac. Then the kid got all flustered and irritated. It was adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

redz posted:

Fuckkkkk yes you just made my night.

Yeah this is pretty awesome. Conan was on the podcast last before the Tonight Show was cancelled, looking forward to this one a lot.

• Locked thread