Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

madprocess posted:

Um, that's not Amazon. That's whoever actually put the thing up to be published.

I don't care; they've got it on their site and it sucks. Don't be an rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

radiatinglines posted:

I don't care; they've got it on their site and it sucks. Don't be an rear end.

There's a huge difference between Amazon censoring out quotations in books they sell and the idiot selling them doing it instead. One means Amazon is loving with books for some reason, the other doesn't.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Vertigus posted:

If you don't do a hard shutdown, the Kindle stays in a low-power sleep mode. Why would you think it draws power only if it has books to index? It's obvious that the startup from sleep is much faster, regardless of whether or not you just added books to the Kindle.
Alright I don't know if you were replying specifically to me here or not but I think something got confused somewhere.

I was asking about the Nook specifically, let me just back way up and rephrase the question completely: For Nook owners, what's your experience with the average battery life for the Nook (E-ink) with the wireless always off and no books being added? I've just noticed that I'm getting about 10 days on average, that seems kinda low and I'm trying to figure out why. This was prompted by the battery completely dying on me a couple times with no warning, always after being left in standby for a while. It just doesn't seem that standby should be draining that much of the battery.

boo_radley posted:

It always bugged me that the eink nook cycled through screensavers & wasted my battery.
Oh I didn't even think about this, mine doesn't seem to be doing that, but I'll maybe cut it down to one screensaver and see if that makes a difference.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Telex posted:

I personally use Perfect Viewer. ACV doesn't really work as well on the NC for some reason, maybe I'm just weird and picky I don't know.

At any rate, comics are okay but not great. The screen is a bit too tiny, which is super disappointing. Really good scans are good enough, but if you've got a mediocre scan of a comic from the 80's or 90's before they started using the bright stock of paper it's a little iffy. I don't really enjoy zooming and floating around on the page, i like a one-page thing and to be totally honest the screen is a bit too tiny.

I'm real interested to get my hands on a 9-10" tablet to see the real difference, but for the NC I'd give it an "okay, not awesome, it'll do" kinda rating.

Thanks for the info. I really am looking for something that I can load with a few issues before work,and read on down time, or lunch. Nothing too exciting. Pretty much set on picking up a Nook COlor this friday, providing I can find one.

Anyone have any idea what the whole " out of stock for 2 weeks" fiasco is about with the Nook Color?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Probably completely out of stock. People worked out that they were $250 Android Honeycomb tablets when rooted and snapped them up.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I was asking about the Nook specifically, let me just back way up and rephrase the question completely: For Nook owners, what's your experience with the average battery life for the Nook (E-ink) with the wireless always off and no books being added? I've just noticed that I'm getting about 10 days on average, that seems kinda low and I'm trying to figure out why.

Mine lasts less than a week, but I read for significantly longer amounts of time than you do (going by your aforementioned 30 minutes per day).

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Alright I don't know if you were replying specifically to me here or not but I think something got confused somewhere.

He was replying to me. Originally I replied to your post thinking that you were talking about the Kindle, because I had my own battery life questions, so he was educating me.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Flyboy925 posted:

Thanks for the info. I really am looking for something that I can load with a few issues before work,and read on down time, or lunch. Nothing too exciting. Pretty much set on picking up a Nook COlor this friday, providing I can find one.

Anyone have any idea what the whole " out of stock for 2 weeks" fiasco is about with the Nook Color?

I found that reading a comic was easier using calibre to convert to ePUB and used the built in reader. Wasn't too hard to read.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I was asking about the Nook specifically, let me just back way up and rephrase the question completely: For Nook owners, what's your experience with the average battery life for the Nook (E-ink) with the wireless always off and no books being added? I've just noticed that I'm getting about 10 days on average, that seems kinda low and I'm trying to figure out why. This was prompted by the battery completely dying on me a couple times with no warning, always after being left in standby for a while. It just doesn't seem that standby should be draining that much of the battery.
B&N states the battery life at exactly what you are getting - 10 days. So I think you are doing fine.

quote:

Oh I didn't even think about this, mine doesn't seem to be doing that, but I'll maybe cut it down to one screensaver and see if that makes a difference.
Don't bother. The nook isn't "cycling through screen savers." It starts up each night to check for updates. That's why you see changed screensavers. It will do that whether you have 1 or 100 screensavers.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Vertigus posted:

You can give this a shot: http://adq.livejournal.com/108011.html

Thanks, worked like a charm!

Now I just need interpreters for the 30 other IF platforms that exist for some reason. This one plus books should keep me busy for a while though.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Sad Panda posted:

Oh and how do Calibre series and Kindle collections match up? Having some kind of collapsible list would be awesome.

I was looking again for the same thing as my list of books is getting pretty big and found this (though you have to restart the kindle after every update):

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118635

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Am I reading this right?

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2010/10/global-kindle-3g-web-browsing-where.html

If I buy a Kindle with 3G then I can't use the "regular" internet (only Wikipedia) in Germany over it?

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
I'm happy with my 3rd generation Kindle and don't plan on buying a new e-reader until they make a colour version. So with that said, how close are we to colour e-ink or a similar equivalent?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Ziir posted:

Am I reading this right?

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2010/10/global-kindle-3g-web-browsing-where.html

If I buy a Kindle with 3G then I can't use the "regular" internet (only Wikipedia) in Germany over it?

It depends. Most of the neighboring countries can use the regular internet over 3g tho, so maybe you just aren't guaranteed access (like you would in America).

You'd still be able to use the browser freely over wifi of course, as wella s using the store over 3G.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

madprocess posted:

It depends. Most of the neighboring countries can use the regular internet over 3g tho, so maybe you just aren't guaranteed access (like you would in America).

You'd still be able to use the browser freely over wifi of course, as wella s using the store over 3G.

I understand that, but the only reason I wanted the 3G version was to check my Gmail/Google Reader/Facebook/Google Maps/etc for those times I'm on a long train or bus commute. Oh well, it's settled, I just picked up a wifi Kindle 3.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Flyboy925 posted:

Some vague software incompatibility thing. Either the latest update has some issues with newer firmware or they're trying to prevent root from being super easy or something, depending on how paranoid you want to be about things.

I figure they were just trying to ship newer models with newer software and someone found a big bug. Nothing drastic but they did probably run out of most of their stock over the holidays and all that.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Ziir posted:

I understand that, but the only reason I wanted the 3G version was to check my Gmail/Google Reader/Facebook/Google Maps/etc for those times I'm on a long train or bus commute. Oh well, it's settled, I just picked up a wifi Kindle 3.

I don't think you can do any of those things with any Kindle version.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

El Hefe posted:

I don't think you can do any of those things with any Kindle version.

You've been able to do that in America since the first Kindle. It's monochrome and not super snappy but it gets the job done if you want to check rss feeds or gmail, or facebook status, etc quickly.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

madprocess posted:

You've been able to do that in America since the first Kindle. It's monochrome and not super snappy but it gets the job done if you want to check rss feeds or gmail, or facebook status, etc quickly.

care to tell me how? through the browser I imagine? it seems kinda stupid to do those things with the Kindle anyway when we all own cellphones that can do a much better job, and don't tell me you own a Kindle but don't own a cellphone with internet access...

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

El Hefe posted:

care to tell me how? through the browser I imagine? it seems kinda stupid to do those things with the Kindle anyway when we all own cellphones that can do a much better job, and don't tell me you own a Kindle but don't own a cellphone with internet access...

Good god man, read what you're posting. You sound like a crazy person.

Plus your username is spelled wrong and it's bothering me.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Telex posted:

Some vague software incompatibility thing. Either the latest update has some issues with newer firmware or they're trying to prevent root from being super easy or something, depending on how paranoid you want to be about things.

I figure they were just trying to ship newer models with newer software and someone found a big bug. Nothing drastic but they did probably run out of most of their stock over the holidays and all that.

That's about what I figured, and that people were just being paranoid. It still seemed available, in areas, and people just wanted to throw B&N under the bus

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
I own a crappy $15 cell phone that I use for coordinating, texting, and emergencies, and I own a 3g kindle. The slow kindle browser is the best thing I have for that. And yes, you do use it through the kindle browser, and yes its slow and clunky but it gets the job done for most basic things.

And a question re: calibre. I converted a pdf for classes that had a flow chart in it that was a 2mb before conversion and when it was done it was a 52mb file. Does calibre just not handle anything other than plain text very well?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Is there a better pdf converter than calibre? I have a pdf of a quantum mechanics textbook (legally freely available from the publisher) and calibre just spent almost half an hour converting it and it looks terrible on my Kindle (oh yeah, just bought one). It seems like paragraphs or even pages are out of order.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ziir posted:

Is there a better pdf converter than calibre? I have a pdf of a quantum mechanics textbook (legally freely available from the publisher) and calibre just spent almost half an hour converting it and it looks terrible on my Kindle (oh yeah, just bought one). It seems like paragraphs or even pages are out of order.

Calibre is about as good as you will get. You either need the publisher to use real ebook format or you need a device that can render pdfs natively (i.e. without having to convert to plain text first).

Pdfs with fancy layout (columns, tables, figures, sidebars, etc.) will never convert well because the software has no way to telling in which order it is supposed to read the various blocks of text it finds scattered around each page.

withak fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 7, 2011

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

El Hefe posted:

It's free and until last year you couldn't get a Kindle WITHOUT 3G so why not use it when you have it?

I mean seriously, no monthly charges or anything, it's nice. My iPhone has all sorts of reception issues at weird times, my Kindles have never been that way.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ziir posted:

I found with stuff like that I was best off just dropping it on as a PDF and using the zoom if the text was too tiny.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

JayBulworth posted:

I'm happy with my 3rd generation Kindle and don't plan on buying a new e-reader until they make a colour version. So with that said, how close are we to colour e-ink or a similar equivalent?

They're just at the prototype phase for color eink right now, current best guess is Fall:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/mirasol-shows-prototype-reader-like-device-playing-back-color-vi/

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If for some reason you have :20bux:x2 burning a hole in your pocket, Bed Bath and Beyond have the Sharper Image Literati ereader on sale.

It's getting pretty horrible reviews, but hey, color ereader. Can't really think of a reason to actually buy one, but it's a nice price.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Is there any way to force Windows to show an epub's cover as its thumbnail?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
From what I understand the options when it comes to pdfs on a Kindle is...

1. Buy a Kindle DX, the bigger screen helps immensely.
2. Use something like Briss or Papercrop to play with the pdf before converting it.
3. Install Duokan on your kindle, it apparently handles pdfs slightly better.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

El Hefe posted:

I have a 3g Kindle but use a $40 (when it was new three years ago) pre-paid phone. I could afford a smart phone but really wouldn't have a lot of use for it and like the fact that I only have to spend 10-15 bucks a month on my phone.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

boo_radley posted:

Is there any way to force Windows to show an epub's cover as its thumbnail?

Don't think the contents of an ePub are just neatly packaged in a folder. Believe the entire archive is specially formatted/compressed. Windows would probably need some special plugin to extract images from the file.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Twitch posted:

I have a 3g Kindle but use a $40 (when it was new three years ago) pre-paid phone. I could afford a smart phone but really wouldn't have a lot of use for it and like the fact that I only have to spend 10-15 bucks a month on my phone.

Yup. I have a pretty terrible phone that can be used to call and text as well as look up words in Korean. The next phone I get will have the first two but not the third. It's one of the reasons I got the 3G Kindle rather than the wifi one.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Sad Panda posted:

Yup. I have a pretty terrible phone that can be used to call and text as well as look up words in Korean. The next phone I get will have the first two but not the third. It's one of the reasons I got the 3G Kindle rather than the wifi one.

Searching for "Korean Dictionary" on the Android Marketplace I have 145 results. I'm sure I'd get similar results on the iPhone app store.

So... why are you holding off on upgrading your phone?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

jassa posted:

Searching for "Korean Dictionary" on the Android Marketplace I have 145 results. I'm sure I'd get similar results on the iPhone app store.

So... why are you holding off on upgrading your phone?

A bit off topic but...

I have been living in Korea for the last 3 years, hence the dictionary. When I got here there really weren't that many smart phones and those that you could get were not only expensive but also kinda difficult to get for foreigners. The reason it's going backwards is slightly unique. In April I'm going to start cycling the world and so want a phone that's quad band, takes SIM cards, can call + text, has a great battery life and is reliable. I know nothing about them, but figure that a smartphone isn't going to do much without a data plan and even less in the middle of Africa. I'll also have a netbook, iPod, camera and GPS unit as well as my Kindle for other electronic needs.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Sad Panda posted:

A bit off topic but...

I have been living in Korea for the last 3 years, hence the dictionary. When I got here there really weren't that many smart phones and those that you could get were not only expensive but also kinda difficult to get for foreigners. The reason it's going backwards is slightly unique. In April I'm going to start cycling the world and so want a phone that's quad band, takes SIM cards, can call + text, has a great battery life and is reliable. I know nothing about them, but figure that a smartphone isn't going to do much without a data plan and even less in the middle of Africa. I'll also have a netbook, iPod, camera and GPS unit as well as my Kindle for other electronic needs.

Well, it's hard to argue with that logic. Best of luck in your cycling adventure. :)

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

El Hefe posted:

I have an iPhone, but I don't live in the States anymore. I have a prepaid SIM card that I reload once every month or two for calls/SMS cause it's cheaper than getting on a contract. I COULD buy into a data plan but I went without it for a month when I got there and didn't miss it too much, so I have only wifi access on my phone now.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
As much as I love my Sony I'm thinking of upgrading, and based on the current models I'm probably going to be switching to the Kindle.

The whole 3G or not 3G seems to be a touchy issue for some people, but I was just posting to check that if I'm not planning on using my Kindle for any sort of browsing and I have regular access to wi-fi then there really isn't any point in getting the 3G version?

It's one of those things where the extra cost isn't that much so... why not? But then I can't think of a single situation where I would actually use it. I just wanted to check I wasn't missing anything obvious!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
I regularly use the Kindle 3G just because my blackberry's browser is poo poo and the Kindle browser isn't terrible, so if I need to look up train times or something I'll use my Kindle. If you have a decent smartphone, I can't think of a reason you'd need 3G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Cool thanks. Pretty much all I needed to know. I shall spend the £50 I save on new wall scrolls.