Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)
It certainly does. Very educational, and interesting to boot. That ref part would explain where I got the inline thing. I'd have more to comment on, but it's difficult to type/focus with a baby in one hand. I'm sure I'll be back later to edit in some questions though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I ordered zebra skates tonight. Right foot black-on-white, left foot white-on-black. 126 boot with Magnum White plates. Should be a very nice upgrade from my R3s.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Redfont posted:

Also, aren't inlines allowed in roller derby, just discouraged? I don't remember remember if I've seen it in the rules or not. It might have just been the personal preference of one team for practice maybe, but I distinctly remember the words allowed but not preferable.

If you mean skaters, no:
3.9 SKATES
3.9.1 Players must wear quad roller skates only. Players may not wear inline or any other type
of skate.

Or at least, that's what I thought you meant by "in roller derby", but as its been pointed out, it's okay for refs. but not encouraged. I don't think I've seen a ref on inlines, either.

In response to an earlier question of why quads over inlines, I've heard it's because it is much easier to snap your ankle in inlines, especially with tight pack work.

Personally I prefer quads. Can't do my fancy turn around toe stop stop on inlines :colbert:.

Bit late, but my team(Camaro Harem) won our bout at the season opener 120-81! Here's an awesome write up Elwood Bruise did of the bout. I was the second most effective blocker for my team :dance:. I was hoping they would have the bout online by now but oh well :(

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 6, 2011

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

yeah, i have no idea either

OrpheusFaust posted:

Or at least, that's what I thought you meant by "in roller derby", but as its been pointed out, it's okay for refs. but not encouraged. I don't think I've seen a ref on inlines, either.

There's a couple refs in my league that use inlines, but that's because they used to play hockey in them and are used to the way they work. So, I mean, it can happen, ref-wise, but it's not the majority by any stretch of the imagination.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

OrpheusFaust posted:

In response to an earlier question of why quads over inlines, I've heard it's because it is much easier to snap your ankle in inlines, especially with tight pack work.

That's ridiculous. You're just as safe/in danger on inlines than you are on quads. While quads may give you more stability on your feet in some respects, inlines are more stable in others, such as when turning or stopping. In fact, inline skates generally have a boot that's harder and goes higher up the ankles, so if anything you're more protected from ankle injuries. For someone that's spent years on inlines I see no merit in what you've heard.

OrpheusFaust posted:

Personally I prefer quads. Can't do my fancy turn around toe stop stop on inlines :colbert:.

The turn-around toe stop is a very bad way to learn how to stop, in my opinion. First of all, it assumes you have toe stops on in the first place, which are crutches that inexperienced skaters rely on to accelerate and slow down. Secondly, if you're in the middle of a pack and you need to come a dead stop in a hurry, do you really want to turn your back to do it?

You really should learn how to do a hockey stop. Yes, you can do them on quads. They stop you instantly and let you change direction in a flash. Although, you need to be seriously good at skating before you can do them since doing them wrong or doing them while inexperienced will not go well. Hence me typing this with a limp and an ice pack around my left knee.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

WindyMan posted:

The turn-around toe stop is a very bad way to learn how to stop, in my opinion. First of all, it assumes you have toe stops on in the first place, which are crutches that inexperienced skaters rely on to accelerate and slow down. Secondly, if you're in the middle of a pack and you need to come a dead stop in a hurry, do you really want to turn your back to do it?

Turning toe stops and then sprinting off in the other direction look so awesome, though.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
^^^What they said.

WindyMan posted:

You really should learn how to do a hockey stop. Yes, you can do them on quads. They stop you instantly and let you change direction in a flash. Although, you need to be seriously good at skating before you can do them since doing them wrong or doing them while inexperienced will not go well. Hence me typing this with a limp and an ice pack around my left knee.

I have used it in a pack, with mixed results. I feel more comfortable doing that than plowing in a pack sometimes, but it's a case by case thing. Besides the stop I don't use my toestops, except for the first step or two of my starts. I've seen people do them with jam plugs, too, so you don't need full on top stops.

I can do a hockey stop? A basic one that I'm still perfecting, sure, but I do know how to do one. I just prefer my turn arounds. I think it's a great stop, and once you have it down you can stop on a dime, and it's good for strategic stuff.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)
I can see both how a turn-around toe stop could be and also could not be useful in roller derby. I suppose it all depends on when and where you use it. Like kung fu. Or rock paper scissors. Or something.

Other than that, now that OrpheusFaust pasted that part of the rules in, I do faintly remember reading them.

Also personally I think the running with the toe stops is kind of hilarious. The high knees and pointed toes thing just gets me every time.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Redfont posted:

I can see both how a turn-around toe stop could be and also could not be useful in roller derby. I suppose it all depends on when and where you use it. Like kung fu. Or rock paper scissors. Or something.

Other than that, now that OrpheusFaust pasted that part of the rules in, I do faintly remember reading them.

Also personally I think the running with the toe stops is kind of hilarious. The high knees and pointed toes thing just gets me every time.

I do all sorts of crazy things on my toe stops, like skating -> running -> skating, spinning, jumping, etc...

It's really useful to be able to do those sorts of things, even if you never have reason to.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)

Spookydonut posted:

I do all sorts of crazy things on my toe stops, like skating -> running -> skating, spinning, jumping, etc...

It's really useful to be able to do those sorts of things, even if you never have reason to.

I'm still at the point where all I can use them for is to brake. :( My skating is slowly advancing, but I don't see myself being able to do anything fancy like jumping or spinning anytime soon.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Spookydonut posted:

One of the better jammers on CCRG (Holden Grudges) basically runs through the pack on her toe stops. It's really amazing to watch once you realize that's what she's doing.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Tonight I was hopping in a circle, on the spot, on one toe-stop.

That is never going to be the least bit useful, but it certainly is a good balance exercise. Walking around on toe stops, jumping, etc will do wonders for your balance on skates.

Theres other things you can do, like going up on two wheels on each skate while coasting.

Also, go to a skate park. It might seem scary or dangerous, but it's a lot of fun.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

ALFbrot posted:

Man, honestly, I didn't even know Orlando had any kind of teams. I was under the impression that the closest team we had was in Rockledge. This is welcome news! I'll have to come see your teams (supposing you make them)
You should come out no matter what cause the bouts are fun and who doesn't love having cheap beer and watching a bunch of girls smack the hell out of each other?

ODC posted:

For anyone in the Orlando-area, this Sunday is a bout. For next month's bout I have took over making posters of the Orlando Psycho City Derby Girls for the time being, February's my first:

Click here for the full 691x1024 image.

Oh hey I met you at the welcoming party, my wife is the captain of Serial Thrillers. Also quoting this because the bout is this Sunday and anyone local should come out cause it's always good fun.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

real_scud posted:

You should come out no matter what cause the bouts are fun and who doesn't love having cheap beer and watching a bunch of girls smack the hell out of each other?

Oh hey I met you at the welcoming party, my wife is the captain of Serial Thrillers. Also quoting this because the bout is this Sunday and anyone local should come out cause it's always good fun.

Yeah, I was just freaked out when she sent me a friend invite on Facebook and sent a wall message immediately after that said "Goon." I knew it was going to happen at some point.

And yes, everyone should definitely come this weekend if you're in the Orlando-area. Only three games left in the season.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
A co-worker of my husband's has started a new league. I'm going to see a practice on Saturday.
Am I understanding this right, once a name is taken it can't be used by anyone else?
I'm excited to watch the practice! :)

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dancingthroughlife posted:

A co-worker of my husband's has started a new league. I'm going to see a practice on Saturday.
Am I understanding this right, once a name is taken it can't be used by anyone else?
I'm excited to watch the practice! :)

Yeah! Search for it on http://twoevils.org/rollergirls/ (which is the official name roster). Though! It seems many leagues these days are having people use their real names. I guess more divergence between the spectacle and the sport.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
So in April there's a 4-team tournament in London. Charm City is going along with Montreal and Steel City, should be a pretty cool tourney, I'm really interested to see how London plays.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Ria posted:

Yeah! Search for it on http://twoevils.org/rollergirls/ (which is the official name roster). Though! It seems many leagues these days are having people use their real names. I guess more divergence between the spectacle and the sport.

Official Unofficial name roster. It's considered 'polite' to register your name and not use the same as someone else's without permission, but there's not much that can be done about people who do otherwise.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Spookydonut posted:

Official Unofficial name roster. It's considered 'polite' to register your name and not use the same as someone else's without permission, but there's not much that can be done about people who do otherwise.

Well, yeah, but it's pretty community-enforced. I dunno but I know I wouldn't want to be someone that wasn't original enough to make my own name or get permission, and deal with the ramifications in such a community... Especially when I'm just starting out.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The name registry sort of gets to me. I am really strongly in favor of one existing, because as a fan I don't want every team to have a Cherry Bomb and a Black Widow and so on. I like the unique names. But the combination of the rapid expansion of roller derby and the glacial speed with which twoevils handles name registration is really not working.

I get that it's basically one person handling all these name requests by hand, but it can literally take up to 6 months to get a name approved or denied. And then in the meantime you find out that while you were being polite and not using your name until it was official, some other girl across the country has been skating with that name for months and happened to register a day before you so you don't have a name. Sorry.

I don't like to pull out the "come on, I could do this faster myself" card, but this is a situation in which it is really time-sensitive stuff and there's no reason at all it should take months to take an email from someone, check it against a list, and respond, even with thousands of requests a week. I know a girl who has been trying to change her name since she transferred to us months ago, and keeps coming up with names that are not on the registry, only to have them rejected when she sends them in because of girls farther ahead in the pipeline than her, and there's no way she could have known that.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

The name registry sort of gets to me. I am really strongly in favor of one existing, because as a fan I don't want every team to have a Cherry Bomb and a Black Widow and so on. I like the unique names. But the combination of the rapid expansion of roller derby and the glacial speed with which twoevils handles name registration is really not working.

I get that it's basically one person handling all these name requests by hand, but it can literally take up to 6 months to get a name approved or denied. And then in the meantime you find out that while you were being polite and not using your name until it was official, some other girl across the country has been skating with that name for months and happened to register a day before you so you don't have a name. Sorry.

I don't like to pull out the "come on, I could do this faster myself" card, but this is a situation in which it is really time-sensitive stuff and there's no reason at all it should take months to take an email from someone, check it against a list, and respond, even with thousands of requests a week. I know a girl who has been trying to change her name since she transferred to us months ago, and keeps coming up with names that are not on the registry, only to have them rejected when she sends them in because of girls farther ahead in the pipeline than her, and there's no way she could have known that.

Well, if I remember correctly a while back TwoEvils wanted to get rid of the responsibility of doing that but nobody wanted to take up the mantle. *shrug* I'm not saying that TwoEvils is the best thing, but it's better than nothing. If that makes any sense...

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ria posted:

Well, if I remember correctly a while back TwoEvils wanted to get rid of the responsibility of doing that but nobody wanted to take up the mantle. *shrug* I'm not saying that TwoEvils is the best thing, but it's better than nothing. If that makes any sense...

I agree, it's better to have a bad name registry than no name registry. It's just frustrating to see girls bang their heads against it when the sport has outgrown the current solution.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

I agree, it's better to have a bad name registry than no name registry. It's just frustrating to see girls bang their heads against it when the sport has outgrown the current solution.

It is frustrating. There a lot of things about this sport that are very frustrating from a logistics past-the-fan-wall perspective about this sport. On many fronts.

Nowadays I just struggle to reconcile the frustration with the love of the sport and the girls, you know?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ria posted:

It is frustrating. There a lot of things about this sport that are very frustrating from a logistics past-the-fan-wall perspective about this sport. On many fronts.

Nowadays I just struggle to reconcile the frustration with the love of the sport and the girls, you know?

Absolutely. I do the same, and my girlfriend has a similar struggle, being a home-league caliber player who is in a city/league very focused on travel team and national ranking type things.

She wants to skate because it's fun, doesn't really care about rankings or travel, and it seems there's less and less room for that as time goes on. At least in our local league.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

Absolutely. I do the same, and my girlfriend has a similar struggle, being a home-league caliber player who is in a city/league very focused on travel team and national ranking type things.

She wants to skate because it's fun, doesn't really care about rankings or travel, and it seems there's less and less room for that as time goes on. At least in our local league.

Yeah, I used to have friends in another league that just wanted to play. Just play, you know? Have fun, do the outfits, have the names, be dorky, make a ruckus, play the sport. That's it. The professional sport, they said, killed their enthusiasm. I can kind of understand why now. Pity, though, that league died a ear or two ago. =/

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ria posted:

Yeah, I used to have friends in another league that just wanted to play. Just play, you know? Have fun, do the outfits, have the names, be dorky, make a ruckus, play the sport. That's it. The professional sport, they said, killed their enthusiasm. I can kind of understand why now. Pity, though, that league died a ear or two ago. =/

Yeah, that's happening in leagues everywhere. Not all of them fold of course, but every league that has any success at some point has to address that divide.

You have, say, 100 girls who just want to play to have fun, or found derby because it's empowering or pro-women, or like the aesthetic even if they aren't great at the game. Some of them are pretty good, great even, but they are there primarily because they love to play derby and have fun.

Then from that group of 100 you have maybe 10-20 who rise out of the group and are really good. Your travel team gets ranked, high even. Those 20 girls want to win a national championship. Sometimes the direction the league needs to move in to facilitate makes it less fun for the 80 girls who just want to have fun. You can't split the league, because then there's no one to volunteer to work at travel team bouts. It's certainly possible to do one without forsaking the other, but it's not easy, and some leagues just never really get it together.

If my girlfriend liked any other sport this wouldn't happen. If she loved to play basketball, she could go anywhere. The park, some friends, join a club league. She could walk to a gym with her basketball and be guaranteed at least a shootaround. You can't do that with derby. You need 10 girls, and a track, and gear and insurance and refs. There's no "pickup games" of derby. Well, there sort of are, in the challenge bouts at ECE or Rollercon or whatever, but those are few and far between.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Dominion posted:

This is a good example of the structural problems roller derby is going to face in the next few years. If you think of popular team sports, they exist on many different levels, like recreational, amateur, professional, etc. Even within them there are other sub-levels, as it were. Like, if you wanted to play basketball you just need a park court and some friends to play pick-up games, or you could go to your local Park&Rec and join a rec league.

Roller derby currently only exists in the amateur state. Obviously, there isn't currently a professional option (although people are working on that) and there isn't a recreational option for people to turn to, for the most part. I know the LA Derby Dolls have a rec league, but those are only for people who pass the 8-week training classes.

If roller derby is going to be big again, there needs to be options available on every rung of the ladder. If you focus too much on the top level, the lower levels become neglected and you lose out on new, experienced skaters coming in or sticking around for the long haul.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

WindyMan posted:

This is a good example of the structural problems roller derby is going to face in the next few years. If you think of popular team sports, they exist on many different levels, like recreational, amateur, professional, etc. Even within them there are other sub-levels, as it were. Like, if you wanted to play basketball you just need a park court and some friends to play pick-up games, or you could go to your local Park&Rec and join a rec league.

Roller derby currently only exists in the amateur state. Obviously, there isn't currently a professional option (although people are working on that) and there isn't a recreational option for people to turn to, for the most part. I know the LA Derby Dolls have a rec league, but those are only for people who pass the 8-week training classes.

If roller derby is going to be big again, there needs to be options available on every rung of the ladder. If you focus too much on the top level, the lower levels become neglected and you lose out on new, experienced skaters coming in or sticking around for the long haul.

Yeah, agreed. We have girls that make tryouts and then, due to a combination of waiting for assessments, waiting for drafts, and the occasional poorly-timed injury, who have been on the league for a year or more before they ever get to play in a home bout. It's not everyone who gets stuck like that obviously, but its a handful of girls. Girls who are certainly safe on skates and could play today if they were allowed to.

That's a year of making practices, paying WFTDA dues, and getting slobberknocked at scrimmage practice by a nationally-ranked travel team. If that doesn't suck the enthusiasm for the sport out of you I don't know what does.

And of course when a new girl comes in who looks like the next superstar, somehow all the assessment dates and draft schedules line up perfectly and she's on the travel team in under a month.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Re: The Name Registry

Until it's WFTDA run and mandated within the rules it will continue to be a guideline at best for skaters for all the aforementioned reasons.

Well that's my opinion on it anyway.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Totally TWISTED posted:

Re: The Name Registry

Until it's WFTDA run and mandated within the rules it will continue to be a guideline at best for skaters for all the aforementioned reasons.

Well that's my opinion on it anyway.

If someone has a name you want, it's probably not a bad idea to do a little research and see if the skater is still actually active. One huge problem I see with the registry so far is how it seems like it would be really hard to clear out the skaters who don't skate anymore unless the skater themselves informed the registry that their name was up for grabs. Anyway, one of the girls on my league was able to get a name that was already taken because she contacted the girl who had it and found out she wasn't skating anymore and the girl agreed to let her have the name.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

Yeah, that's happening in leagues everywhere. Not all of them fold of course, but every league that has any success at some point has to address that divide.

You have, say, 100 girls who just want to play to have fun, or found derby because it's empowering or pro-women, or like the aesthetic even if they aren't great at the game. Some of them are pretty good, great even, but they are there primarily because they love to play derby and have fun.

The problem as I see it from them is not only is there internal pressure by those smaller groups of "I used to play a sport and IT SHOULD BE THIS WAY" mentality, but there's external pressure. Once you're WFTDA, and you're ranked, you don't really want to pony up the cash to go to another league and play if they're not WFTDA. It's like a snob-like mentality.

Around my area there were about 6 leagues that weren't WFTDA yet and we would play them. As they started going WFTDA they stopped wanting to play our league. And as it went, so did we, just so that we could GET games that weren't ridiculous 280-to-180 divides.

Dominion posted:

And of course when a new girl comes in who looks like the next superstar, somehow all the assessment dates and draft schedules line up perfectly and she's on the travel team in under a month.

This right here is something that annoys the heck out of me too. I mean, it doesn't happen on every league, but it seems like the "superstar" player always gets the best poo poo. And I guess in a "that happens in every sport" level I should just get over it, but I don't think it's necessarily -right-.

AAAANNNYYYWWAAYYY.

Since this thread isn't just for insiders, I would like to take this time to mention that these problems aren't the bread-and-butter of societal life in Derby, just a few consequential gripes of people being in the mix for a while. It's apt to change, and probably will. So, yeah. Sorry if I brought the tenor of the conversation down.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ria posted:

Since this thread isn't just for insiders, I would like to take this time to mention that these problems aren't the bread-and-butter of societal life in Derby, just a few consequential gripes of people being in the mix for a while. It's apt to change, and probably will. So, yeah. Sorry if I brought the tenor of the conversation down.

This is very true. If 95% of a sport or hobby is great, the thread will still be filled with the 5% that pisses you off, and I don't want to scare people away from a great sport due to insider griping that occurs in every sport/hobby/scene/whatever.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I reffed a scrimmage in Maine tonight and called my first major! I am so happy. I sent someone to the box.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Current scuttlebutt is that WFTDA is considering beta-testing a ruleset which eliminates the concept of minor penalties. Any thoughts on how this would work? Would current minors just go away and become legal, or would they all get upgraded to majors, or what?

I can certainly see the benefit in having less ticky-tack calls to make, but some stuff needs to be illegal but really isn't a big enough deal to warrant time in the box or a power jam.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

Current scuttlebutt is that WFTDA is considering beta-testing a ruleset which eliminates the concept of minor penalties. Any thoughts on how this would work? Would current minors just go away and become legal, or would they all get upgraded to majors, or what?

I can certainly see the benefit in having less ticky-tack calls to make, but some stuff needs to be illegal but really isn't a big enough deal to warrant time in the box or a power jam.

Well, I've been around for almost 4 years now, and not one ruleset has ever not had minors in it. I would assume that it's just a dumb rumor, to be honest.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
I brought up the fact that WFTDA was considering ditching minor penalties when this thread was newish in GBS, and it was brushed off then as well. I would give the rumor some consideration as it keeps popping up every year or so, but I don't know how well the member leagues would vote on it to be honest.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Aericina posted:

I brought up the fact that WFTDA was considering ditching minor penalties when this thread was newish in GBS, and it was brushed off then as well. I would give the rumor some consideration as it keeps popping up every year or so, but I don't know how well the member leagues would vote on it to be honest.

I mean, I don't even know how that'd work, if they're trying to become more "like all the rest of the sports, WE GOTTA B SUPR SRS, U GUYZ," then getting rid of minors? The accumulation of minors is just "well, we can't get you on a major but since you keep doing them we might as well call you on them in aggregate the same way we would if you acted once at a higher severity."

How would it work in the way it's been discussed?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Ria posted:

I mean, I don't even know how that'd work, if they're trying to become more "like all the rest of the sports, WE GOTTA B SUPR SRS, U GUYZ," then getting rid of minors? The accumulation of minors is just "well, we can't get you on a major but since you keep doing them we might as well call you on them in aggregate the same way we would if you acted once at a higher severity."

How would it work in the way it's been discussed?

In old-school roller derby, they also had major and minor penalties. Yes, they did call penalties back then, but they were less frequent and more severe. Major penalties were 2 minutes and minor penalties were 1 minute, and considering jams lasted for 60 seconds, penalties became more significant. This is, of course, relative to the time they were out there on the track, not the actual result on the track.

Although I absolutely love the fact that skaters get whistled off of the track immediately for major penalties—this is one of the disadvantages of banked track derby—I think the fact that so many penalties are called on the flat track speaks to the inexperience of skaters than anything else. I like how the WFTDA went from 5 penalties per half to 7 per game for a penalty ejection, because no one likes to see sloppy roller derby.

I think if minors were going to be taken out, it should be a no harm-no foul situation. For instance, if someone commits a minor back block, if the person in front doesn't get knocked down or lose position, and the person behind does't gain an advantage, then why should it a penalty at all?

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

WindyMan posted:

In old-school roller derby, they also had major and minor penalties. Yes, they did call penalties back then, but they were less frequent and more severe. Major penalties were 2 minutes and minor penalties were 1 minute, and considering jams lasted for 60 seconds, penalties became more significant. This is, of course, relative to the time they were out there on the track, not the actual result on the track.

Although I absolutely love the fact that skaters get whistled off of the track immediately for major penalties—this is one of the disadvantages of banked track derby—I think the fact that so many penalties are called on the flat track speaks to the inexperience of skaters than anything else. I like how the WFTDA went from 5 penalties per half to 7 per game for a penalty ejection, because no one likes to see sloppy roller derby.

I think if minors were going to be taken out, it should be a no harm-no foul situation. For instance, if someone commits a minor back block, if the person in front doesn't get knocked down or lose position, and the person behind does't gain an advantage, then why should it a penalty at all?

No impact-no penalty is already in the rules. They ascribe the differences between the four levels:

No Impact-no penalty: inconsequential touching, poo poo that happens during the course of the game that doesn't impact skating, or position.

Minor: Consequential touching but only stuff that makes someone stutter or lose slight relative position.

Major: Consequential touching of stuff that causes a major loss of relative position or someone going down.

Expulsion: Pretty much each of these ends up being an intentional fight-maneuver.

So if we take out minors... I guess we can have plenty of "I'm just going to back block, she'll stumble, she'll stumble, she'll stumble" and that's not called? I guess that could be the case, but, eeeeeh? I dunno, it seems fine the way it is at the moment, but maybe I'm just biased and I'm tired of major retools. XD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I have a question about back blocking vs tripping. Take the following situation:

Red Jammer skates directly into the back of Blue Blocker. Blue Blocker stumbles and falls, causing Red Jammer to then trip and fall over her.

Is that a backblock on Red or a tripping on Blue? Because I have seen it called both ways. I would think it would be backblock on Red, since she was the one who initiated the whole situation, but maybe I am wrong.

• Locked thread