Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

iceslice posted:

I found the best way to improve push-ups is to spend every other day doing them all day. Pick something you do pretty often, like going through your doorway, and knock out a set every time you go through.

I did this today between every round of Black Ops. (That's not all I did today, I went to the gym, too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

To improve pushups I recommend the https://www.hundredpushups.com program. I know a few people, including myself, that it's worked well for.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
There was an article in the army times about it not too long ago, RE: the patch thing. You're still gonna get a patch for new dawn.

Hippay
Nov 19, 2005
SOY BOMB

GoGoGadget posted:

I did this today between every round of Black Ops. (That's not all I did today, I went to the gym, too)

To maximize results from this rotate between sets of wide arm, regular, and diamond pushups. Also get your mom or cat or somebody to watch a youtube video of a properly executed pushup and then watch you do a set and then critique your form. Seriously before going to basic pretty much nobody understands a properly executed PT test push up no matter how much they think they do and your recruiter will lie to you in order to not delay your enlistment if you do them wrong on his diagnostic. I thought I was knocking out like 50 pushups at a time when I shipped and it turns out I struggled to do 10 that counted on the APFT.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Full Battle Rattle posted:

There was an article in the army times about it not too long ago, RE: the patch thing. You're still gonna get a patch for new dawn.

The State Department still rates Iraq as the highest danger/hardship rate (35%/35%), equal to Afghanistan. People are still dying, people are still getting hurt.

You get tax free and poo poo in Kuwait and Qatar so why would you not in Iraq? This place will be a hardship/hazardous duty zone for the foreseeable future (years).

Rrail fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 8, 2011

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
nvm

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Speaking of being a fatbody, I was a giant mess when I signed up, pretty much at the EXACT LIMIT for my height when I joined DEP, but have lost around 20 pounds (220-206, now am at 190, Hoyah and all that good stuff). How do I improve on my mile time and keep up the weight loss, since cutting back on food, sugary drinks/treats is now.. well it doesn't work as well as it did say 8 months ago.

Hippay
Nov 19, 2005
SOY BOMB

Ryand-Smith posted:

Speaking of being a fatbody, I was a giant mess when I signed up, pretty much at the EXACT LIMIT for my height when I joined DEP, but have lost around 20 pounds (220-206, now am at 190, Hoyah and all that good stuff). How do I improve on my mile time and keep up the weight loss, since cutting back on food, sugary drinks/treats is now.. well it doesn't work as well as it did say 8 months ago.

Run timed intervals or sprints if you want to improve your time on a PT test. Run distance intervals or just make sure you run outside your comfort zone if you want to improve at medium distances/lose weight. Also for losing weight once cutting food isn't cutting it (har) start looking into supplements like green tea or the million DYNAMIC THERMOGENIC REVOLUTIONARY FORMULA fat burners you can get at GNC or online and start incorporating those into your diet and start using pre workout stuff like NO or jack3d to help keep your heart rate up while you exercise.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Hippay posted:

Run timed intervals or sprints if you want to improve your time on a PT test. Run distance intervals or just make sure you run outside your comfort zone if you want to improve at medium distances/lose weight. Also for losing weight once cutting food isn't cutting it (har) start looking into supplements like green tea or the million DYNAMIC THERMOGENIC REVOLUTIONARY FORMULA fat burners you can get at GNC or online and start incorporating those into your diet and start using pre workout stuff like NO or jack3d to help keep your heart rate up while you exercise.

Yes, exactly this. Run interval sprints. I went from a 1240 to a 12 flat in 3 weeks with them. Personally I prefer running a known distance with a measured time. It is easier to look at your watch when you finish an interval then to try and figure out how far you went. First workout, run 400m (or probably one lap at your local track) as fast as you can. Stand around and rest twice as long as your lap time (1minute 30 second lap time, 3 minutes rest) and repeat 8 or 10 times. From there just add laps and decrease intervals. When you're doing the full mile, do only 4 intervals then next workout start back at 1 lap. Your main goal is to have as little variance between interval times while going as fast as possible. To make sure you accomplish this always rest the full 2xWork. With the longer intervals you'll feel weird standing around for so long, but allowing your self to fully recover means you can put out 100% on the next interval (which is key).

Workouts like that for rucking, running, and swimming are the bread and butter to success in almost anything physical I've done in the military.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 8, 2011

Goatschach
Dec 25, 2006

Who watches the goatman?

GoGoGadget posted:

This book I've got says the Air Force expects you to be able to do something like 34 push-ups the day you get to BMT. I can do like 20 right now, and I leave next Monday. I'm going to be doing them every day until then, but I'm worried I won't be able to get it up to 34 by then. (By the way, I've been going to the gym for the past month and a half, I've just been focusing on cardio like my recruiter told me to, and not so much strength training.)

I can only do about 25 right now and I ship on Tuesday so you will not be the only noodle arm in basic. Benching/weighted dips helped me a lot outside of just doing pushups when I first got into the dep, I just got lazy and stopped doing them for the last few months.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
How much loving leave do we earn every month? Trying to fill out this drat application for transportation of dependents, and I have to put down my travel date....which hinges on how much leave I take.

Only problem is I keep waffling over if it's 2 or 3 days each month.

T800
Jul 2, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

Only problem is I keep waffling over if it's 2 or 3 days each month.

Close; you earn 2.5 days of leave per month.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As I've mentioned previously, I could do less than 5 pushups when I went to basic training. I graduated just fine. Do not stress about AF basic training PT standards.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

T800 posted:

Close; you earn 2.5 days of leave per month.

Aha, Sweet, thanks. Everything I tried in google kept bringing up civilian poo poo. I don't know how i could forget something that basic.

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

Why don't I eat veggies? I don't look at them as *food*, in the classical sense.
AM I POSTING ABOUT HOW WOMEN ARE STUPID, WEAK AND WORTHLESS? REMIND ME THAT I AM AN INFANTILE MANCHILD WHO REFUSES TO EAT VEGETABLES

Rrail posted:

As I've mentioned previously, I could do less than 5 pushups when I went to basic training. I graduated just fine. Do not stress about AF basic training PT standards.

jesus loving christ you were weak!

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

Ryand-Smith posted:

Definitely running intervals will help.

Here is something I used to get better at the 1.5

http://www.cfeteams.com/page/index.php?menu=programming&page=1pt5miltest

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Does somebody have a link to that thing about the Air Force POWs in interrogation giving up the cast of the Andy Griffith show as the names of their chain of command? I swear I read about it here but I can't find it with Google at all.

Hippay
Nov 19, 2005
SOY BOMB

Nillerz posted:

If you weigh a lot (not necessarily because you are super fat) and don't do a lot of push ups you will be bad at push ups because of the way the muscle groups work in tandem based on things like how tall you are and how wide your chest is and how long your arms are. I worked construction for two years before I joined the army but like I said did 11 push ups on my first pt test but could still out gft most of my platoon. The only way to get good at push ups is to A. be as skinny as possible and B. do them a lot. Just like any other bodyweight exercise.

So don't be all mopey and nervous because you can't do a lot right now. Basic training is not where they separate the burly men from the noodle-armed boys, it's where they separate the people who will quit easily from the people who won't. Not being a weak willed bitch will actually serve you better in the military than being in outstanding physical shape; you will gain a lot of confidence the first time you see some pt stud turn into a squalling infant under the weight of a rucksack. If they even ruck in the AF?

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nillerz posted:

Definitely. A huge amount of it was form as well.

Hippay posted:

If they even ruck in the AF?

They have golf carts for that.

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

I'm kind of wondering if I have any options here or to just let my morale be crushed until I move to another post.

My platoon sergeant is convinced that I'm faking my ligament damage in my ankle because he thinks it's a sprain. I've been in for a long time and I'm the kind of person that wouldn't even go to sick call unless it was horribly necessary. I'm always asking people if they need help with stuff and helping out wherever I can, and I never really gripe about stuff because I'm chill. Nowadays this poo poo is starting to bother me and I don't really care about anything anymore, I've tried talking to him about why he thinks I'm suddenly a shitbag because I'm hurt. His answer was basically oh I don't think you're faking, you were put on crutches, crutches makes everyone think you're hurt.

I'm on crutches because I had to hop into sick call and still can't really put weight on my ankle. Is there anything I can do to get this gently caress off my back? I'm getting really frustrated with it.

VVVV I do have proof, and my ankle is still swollen. He still has the ARGLE BLARGLE profiles are FAKE kind of thinking.

Carnival Rider fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 9, 2011

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Get proof? File an IG complaint if he keeps it up.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

No Butt Stuff posted:

Get proof? File an IG complaint if he keeps it up.

IG complaint would only work if there's something more tangible than a bad attitude from the PSG. Do your best to ignore the attitude and find ways to contribute until you're healed up. Make sure you have a copy of your profile w/ the commander's signature handy at all times, and if the PSG tries to force you to do things that you believe will further injure your ankle, or actually does something that will have a negative impact on you other than giving you the cold shoulder, ie; denigrating you in front of others because of your profile, holding up necessary paperwork, etc, then consider using your command team's open door policy prior to stampeding straight to the IG. In the meantime, do your best to avoid letting someone else's attitude destroy your own. Above all, don't blow up and go all insubordinate or otherwise do something that'll land you in actual trouble.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

That's better advice, honestly.

I've got the "hatemyunits" going on, so I wasn't thinking super straight about it. Going directly to the IG might not be the best bet. Just remember to document EVERYTHING, regardless of the route you decide to take.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Carnival Rider posted:

I'm kind of wondering if I have any options here or to just let my morale be crushed until I move to another post.

My platoon sergeant is convinced that I'm faking my ligament damage in my ankle because he thinks it's a sprain. I've been in for a long time and I'm the kind of person that wouldn't even go to sick call unless it was horribly necessary. I'm always asking people if they need help with stuff and helping out wherever I can, and I never really gripe about stuff because I'm chill. Nowadays this poo poo is starting to bother me and I don't really care about anything anymore, I've tried talking to him about why he thinks I'm suddenly a shitbag because I'm hurt. His answer was basically oh I don't think you're faking, you were put on crutches, crutches makes everyone think you're hurt.

I'm on crutches because I had to hop into sick call and still can't really put weight on my ankle. Is there anything I can do to get this gently caress off my back? I'm getting really frustrated with it.

VVVV I do have proof, and my ankle is still swollen. He still has the ARGLE BLARGLE profiles are FAKE kind of thinking.

The most important thing in the military is to always remember to handle stuff at the lowest possible level. I'm not saying sit back and let yourself be abused, but if you believe you can ride him being a dick out until you're healed go for it. But if he does start becoming more abusive and serious in what he's doing, follow green meats advice and go through your chain of command. Just remember that it will probably need to be more substantial before you actually complain. I'm not saying you're whining or anything but your command is going to hear "SFC So and so is being mean to me because I'm hurt :( " if you do it right now.

Talking to your PSG is a good idea, if he keeps doing it try talking to him again and bring up how good of a Soldier you've always been etc.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sneak into his base housing and poop in his toilet, don't flush it.

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008
Is there a regulation on putting the poly pro tops with the hole for the thumb on your thumb? Or is it up to the commands discretion?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

protip: wear loving gloves if it's cold.

If it's cold and you have to use your fingers just cut the fingertips off of them.

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008

LonsomeSon posted:

protip: wear loving gloves if it's cold.

If it's cold and you have to use your fingers just cut the fingertips off of them.

I was messing around with them in the shop and my NCOIC asked me to find out for him, then he made a joke "in black and white!" and to show him his awesome new PFC sense of humor I'm gonna write a paper about it... but I gotta know if there is a regulation. Otherwise I'm just gonna use goon quotes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I sent a memorandum request to my buddy's supervisor requesting permission for him to him to go to lunch one day. It was a slow morning.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Godholio posted:

I sent a memorandum request to my buddy's supervisor requesting permission for him to him to go to lunch one day. It was a slow morning.
I cornered the person in charge of naval messaging and beat them with a teletype machine until, smashed to a bloody pulp, they agreed to ditch the loving all-caps poo poo.

It'll take about 2 years, but you can thank me later.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

grover posted:

I cornered the person in charge of naval messaging and beat them with a teletype machine until, smashed to a bloody pulp, they agreed to ditch the loving all-caps poo poo.

ALARACTs need more paragraphs and line breaks. That poo poo hurts my eyes to read.

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet

grover posted:

Civilian of the Year.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

grover posted:

Did they say whey they kept it so long? I've always wondered.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Slippery posted:

Did they say whey they kept it so long? I've always wondered.
The new messaging systems support normal typesets; there is no longer any technical reasons we still need to format messages like they're going through some 1950s AUTODIN switch. The entire holdup is apparently some "because we've always done it this way" DoD instruction that needs revision. Blame bureaucracy.

I can imagine there's a price tag attached with the change for updating software and many other things that aren't entirely obvious, which is most likely the real source of the delay. I don't think anybody likes the old messaging system. Maybe if enough people bitch up their chain of command it will change sooner rather than later. Hey, maybe if you offer up some of your budget as an offset, it could happen this year?

grover fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 12, 2011

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

grover posted:

AMHS, NREMS and the other new systems have always supported normal typesets; there is no longer any technical reasons we still need to format messages like they're going through some 1950s AUTODIN switch. The entire holdup is some "because we've always done it this way" DoD instruction that needs revision. Blame bureaucracy. Maybe if enough people bitch up their chain of command it will change sooner rather than later.

I can imagine there's a price tag attached with the change for updating software and many other things that aren't entirely obvious, which is most likely the real source of the delay. I don't think anybody likes the old messaging system.

The AF does (did?) it too, although I think we might have lower case now, I can't remember. That's funny to hear...you'd think lower case wouldn't be such a big thing anymore. I mean I'm as old school as the next guy but still.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've seen most documents using lower case, but I think my most recent TDY orders were still caps.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Godholio posted:

I've seen most documents using lower case, but I think my most recent TDY orders were still caps.
Yeah, instructions, MIL-HDBKS, etc, are all lower case but messaging is still apparently limited via DoD instruction to a very specific format with a limited character set.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Has anyone ever had a VA rep gently caress something up and send the wrong information in. The one at my school is refusing to send the information on two of my classes that are clearly on the transfer degree planner to the VA, and when I pointed out the mistake she was a real bitch about it, and is refusing to fix it.
Apparently because I had a really long tech school I've managed to eat up all my available elective credits. Unfortunately most of the military credit does me no good because it's all electronics and I'm not in an electronics or engineering program. The VA lady is still an unhelpful bitch though, I had to go to my advisor to find this out instead of getting a nice straight answer right off the bat from the person who is supposed to be there to provide them.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Regicide posted:

PFC sense of humor I'm gonna write a paper about it

This is probably the single most retarded statement I've ever read on these forums.

loving Ironic Essay Turn-In? Are you serious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
That's what happens when fucks are given.

• Locked thread