Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Kerbtree posted:

Also, I think there was some sort of subtext, far, far too subtle for me to pick up that Paul Verhoven might not like religion.

Verhoven had nothing to do with this movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It pretty much is the more technical TV culture bits from Screenwipe, but it still is excellent.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

SeanBeansShako posted:

It pretty much is the more technical TV culture bits from Screenwipe, but it still is excellent.

The show has been great so far, this is what Brooker does best.

Still one thing I miss though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn-L21l9d0I

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Gram-O-Phone posted:

The show has been great so far, this is what Brooker does best.

Still one thing I miss though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn-L21l9d0I
full thing is good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-uI1TJxUbQ

Edit - Newswipe theme is also good.

wickles fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 9, 2011

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Actually the one he posted is AM180 by Grandaddy.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
oops - time for bed it seems.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
But it's only a quarter past eleven!

I hadn't heard the full Newswipe theme before, or knew what it was called so cheers for posting it.

For completion's sake, here's the full Screenwipe theme too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmCidY0rSek

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I remember the hilariously violent but oddly enjoyable Starship Troopers CGI animated series thing. Anyone else?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

SeanBeansShako posted:

I remember the hilariously violent but oddly enjoyable Starship Troopers CGI animated series thing. Anyone else?

Yeah I remember it, they used to show it on saturday mornings. You're right about violence, it really didn't seem like a kids show at the time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Neither was Robocop and Rambo but that didn't stop those hilarious cartoons from being made too.

I bet that animated series is much better and more true to the spirit than the sequals to Starship Troopers too.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oddly enough I've been watching that over the last couple of days. It's a hell of a lot better than the first film at least, I haven't seen the other two.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Space Butler posted:

Oddly enough I've been watching that over the last couple of days. It's a hell of a lot better than the first film at least, I haven't seen the other two.

Are you saying that the cartoon is amazing or that the first film is bad? Because both these things are wrong.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Space Butler posted:

wot? The first film was great as long as you're not one of those people who thinks it was meant to be taken entirely at face value absent all satire

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

marktheando posted:

Are you saying that the cartoon is amazing or that the first film is bad? Because both these things are wrong.
Admittedly it's been about 10 years since the cartoon was on, but I remember it being pretty good. Wasn't really anything to do with the series, tonally or thematically though.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
The amount of people who watch Starship Troopers and miss the point astounds me.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
I liked this summing up of Outcasts on the Guardian

quote:

So has Outcasts got going yet? Is there enough interest and potential to keep you hooked? It's a good-looking show, the world they've created seems interesting and there are some good performers here. But the writing seems a little flat and clumsy. In its favour, it does have moments when things come together, and it's a primetime serious science fiction drama, the kind of thing Britain doesn't do enough of.

Potential is there, they just need to have a better writer, some of it is just plain lazy. The hostage situation was so, by the numbers, it was painful and the rest of the show looks like it will be Generic Sci-Fi with absolutely no imagination.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
How TV Ruined Your Life was excellent last night. My favourite bit from Screenwipe maxed out to 30 minutes of awesome social commentary. Sadly lacking the brilliant "self es-steam engine" line, though. But yeah, easily the best so far.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

c0burn posted:

The amount of people who watch Starship Troopers and miss the point astounds me.

Hey man, we can enjoy both the digs at subtle commercial facism and gungho space yanks with guns shooting bugs to bits.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

thehustler posted:

How TV Ruined Your Life was excellent last night. My favourite bit from Screenwipe maxed out to 30 minutes of awesome social commentary. Sadly lacking the brilliant "self es-steam engine" line, though. But yeah, easily the best so far.

It made my girlfriend cry.

I've only just started her introduction to Brooker by way of this show and I think she's going through a little culture shock as she starts to think about television in ways she never did before.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

marktheando posted:

I didn't really like the film, though I admit it has been a while since I last sat and watched it. I suppose that gives me an excuse really. Not saying the cartoon is amazing, just quite good.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

thehustler posted:

Seems to get better every week. Hoping he's not commissioned to do one as a clip show like he was with Newswipe.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

c0burn posted:

It's tits, isn't it?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Metrication posted:

Seems to get better every week. Hoping he's not commissioned to do one as a clip show like he was with Newswipe.

His next show should be a more detailed version of Newswipe.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

SeanBeansShako posted:

His next show should be a more detailed version of Newswipe.

How Rupert Murdoch ruined your life

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Squalitude posted:

It's tits, isn't it?

Specifically, Denise Richards tits.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

c0burn posted:

Specifically, Denise Richards tits.

I don't remember them :confused: Dina Meyer, however...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This new nature documentry about Madagascar is really good, the tiny lizard they've got on at the moment is really awesome.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Last night's TV Ruined . .. was identical to Brooker's piece from 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59OJ17raqWw

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Fallon posted:

Last night's TV Ruined . .. was identical to Brooker's piece from 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59OJ17raqWw

I already said that, but you included a link I guess :)

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

This new nature documentry about Madagascar is really good, the tiny lizard they've got on at the moment is really awesome.

The lizards are so :3: and wee and precious. As are the lemurs. Heck, even the bugs of Madagascar are cute in a weird way.

And we should start thinking seriously about how to clone David Attenborough. Because he is getting old, and the world really still needs a nice, gentle-voiced British man to keep on telling it about all the amazing things it's got, and why it shouldn't kill them off.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

So apparently the first episode of Friday Night Dinner is on the 25th of February:
http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/friday_night_dinner/

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Irisi posted:

The lizards are so :3: and wee and precious. As are the lemurs. Heck, even the bugs of Madagascar are cute in a weird way.

And we should start thinking seriously about how to clone David Attenborough. Because he is getting old, and the world really still needs a nice, gentle-voiced British man to keep on telling it about all the amazing things it's got, and why it shouldn't kill them off.

I'm really enjoying John Hurt's narration on Human Planet. When I watched the first episode and didn't hear David Attenborough's voice I was initially disappointed, but while I would prefer Attenborough, Hurt is a nice alternative. 

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
But he's also about 70. We need someone who can carry the banner for the next 30 years.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

goatface posted:

But he's also about 70. We need someone who can carry the banner for the next 30 years.

Benedict Cumberbatch.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

goatface posted:

Unfortunately the current crop of television personalities mostly sound like Kelly from Misfits.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

cloudchamber posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch.

He's so dreamy :allears: And he does have a lovely voice and a wonderful name.

But I'd still rather have a David Attenclone, lovingly filmed in HD, forever bimbling about the jungles of Borneo in his lovely khaki trousers and blue shirt, gently pondering the mysterious mating rituals of some small endangered animal while the BBC Orchestra plays some delightfully whimsical music in the background.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

cloudchamber posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch.

Might not be an Attenborough yet, but he did do a pretty nice job on that Stephen hawking documentary series on a few months back.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Is human planet any good? I thought it would be a good direction for the nature documentary to go after planet earth and blue planet. Maybe a documentary about life in the higher atmosphere.

They had Tom Baker do the answer phones for BT a while ago. Maybe they can use the same technology to make the Attenborg.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I watched half of the ice episode and it had some amazing stuff in it. Definitely gonna try and catch up with the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

justcola posted:

Is human planet any good? I thought it would be a good direction for the nature documentary to go after planet earth and blue planet. Maybe a documentary about life in the higher atmosphere.

They had Tom Baker do the answer phones for BT a while ago. Maybe they can use the same technology to make the Attenborg.

It's breath taking.