Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

A5H posted:

No flashes to put in anything like that atm and no $$$ to get a lighting setup.

Depending on the difference between the background and the subject, you could reflect enough light onto them with a foam core board from a craft shop or a car windshield sun guard, or a really big rear end mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

E: Old news.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 15, 2011

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Ignore them. It's not your responsibility to make them happy about it, especially for $20. I cant imagine that that person actually thinks the new ones are better, so she might just be stroking the other person's ego. If she hasn't actually said anything to you about how she doesn't like them, I wouldn't assume anything.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

nonanone posted:

Ignore them. It's not your responsibility to make them happy about it, especially for $20. I cant imagine that that person actually thinks the new ones are better, so she might just be stroking the other person's ego. If she hasn't actually said anything to you about how she doesn't like them, I wouldn't assume anything.

If it was just the photos I wouldn't assume anything, but she copied something I posted on one of my own photos to make fun of it, and so I can only assume she thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat for whatever reason. It probably has to do with a less than positive history with the person who took the new ones, and them becoming closer friends, but it still makes me feel like poo poo.

I had a friend take photos of a friend's wedding, and the bride ended up telling him that their other friend took better photos with her P&S (which she did not, at all, even a little).

I guess the lesson I have learned is don't take photos of friends, especially for money.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Yeah, gently caress 'em. It's not something that's even worth the worry.

Some people are just drama vampires. They can't live unless they're at the center of or causing some big shitstorm. You will gain nothing by going to war with them because you will be feeding them by doing that.

HPL fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 5, 2011

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mr. mephistopheles posted:

If it was just the photos I wouldn't assume anything, but she copied something I posted on one of my own photos to make fun of it, and so I can only assume she thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat for whatever reason. It probably has to do with a less than positive history with the person who took the new ones, and them becoming closer friends, but it still makes me feel like poo poo.

I had a friend take photos of a friend's wedding, and the bride ended up telling him that their other friend took better photos with her P&S (which she did not, at all, even a little).

I guess the lesson I have learned is don't take photos of friends, especially for money.

You're pictures aren't involved, they're just using them. Stay out of the drama.

Friends are tough customers.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Why do *you* feel bad? You've done nothing wrong, in fact it looks like you've done everything very right, and there's this other social dynamic happening that has nothing to do with you and that you want nothing to do with.

Also, "drama vampire" is now saved in my personal lexicon. Nice one.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've gotten a lot of support from real life friends saying the same thing, and I'm just going to block that poo poo and ignore it.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Just remember some people actually like terrible things such as over-used HDR. And how do you know that she isn't just pretending to be happy with the new shoot just like how she was satisfied with your one?

Also I think the shot you took was a bit bland and the skin tone was too yellow. And I can see how they'd like the new shoot in a more fancy setting even though it has a terrible shadow from the flash.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've gotten a lot of support from real life friends saying the same thing, and I'm just going to block that poo poo and ignore it.

You do good work and I'm inclined to agree with everything DaNzA said. It isn't an affront to your character, gently caress it and move on. Without holding it against other people in the future.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Nothing in that situation sounds like a business problem. They are not clients, just petty people with nothing better to do than complain. Stay positive man, you're work will speak for you louder than some trash being put out on Facebook.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I want to frame an A2 poster.* Does anyone know where I can buy an A2 sized poster frame in the US? All I can find are European web stores.

* This one:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
This popped up in a friend's blog for me:

Dominic Nahr for TIME

Guy Martin for Wall Street Journal

Ok, we know that photojournalists roam around in packs so I don't mind the similarities. However, the top left picture are identical. I'm interested what happened behind the scenes, did they share the same RAW file?

By the way, he retrieved it from Photojournalism Links

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I like all of Nahr's more. Except for the one that is identical.

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

I am flying on Thursday. So my question is: Is it ok to take pictures out of the windows during the flight with either a point and shoot and/or my dslr? I tried to look it up, however I could not find anything telling me if I could or not.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Big Floppy posted:

I am flying on Thursday. So my question is: Is it ok to take pictures out of the windows during the flight with either a point and shoot and/or my dslr? I tried to look it up, however I could not find anything telling me if I could or not.
It's fine except for take-off/landing

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Yea, and in my experience the worst that can happen is the flight attendant will remind you to put it away in those moments. They are more concerned with it flying loose and injuring someone than electronic interference.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I've never been asked to turn off my camera during takeoff and I've never been secretive about using it. I suppose it all depends on the flight attendants.

I felt kinda guilty after the time my camera caused the plane to crash during takeoff and everyone on the plane died except for myself... the pics were "ok" though, so it wasn't a total waste.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Reasonably built electronics won't do a thing to affect the plane's systems, just don't tell the attendants :ssh:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
They don't want you using electronic devices during take off and landing because that is when most planes crash (or suffer some sort of emergency). It's easier to tell people that it "interferes with the plane" than "I need you to pay attention to instructions in case we fall the hell out of the sky".

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I take pictures out the window every time I fly, if I have a window seat or am sitting next to somebody who will let me. I've never had a problem, except for the filthy and scratched-to-hell multipane plastic windows I end up shooting through.

As was said above, your camera will not interfere with the aircraft in any way at all, the flight attendants are worried about a) idiots, b) a sudden jolt causing the camera to fly out of your hands and smack into somebody else, and c) if the poo poo does hit the fan, you'll waste time dealing with your camera instead of getting the gently caress out. Remember, 90% of the people a flight attendant says more than "hello" and "would you like a drink?" to are blithering morons, so don't take it personally if they act like you're drooling on yourself when you're adjusting the white balance.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
What are the rules or general best-practices for taking a photo of a sculpture.

Its publicly displayed at a school of some sorts, I'm not sure who made it. But I want to get a picture of it, I just don't know if I could use the photo "for my own art".

I mean, I would cite the creator with credits and poo poo when I found out, but do I need permission? Can I get an answer for if I plan on selling prints and if I just throw it up on a website and never sell any prints?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Quick question: will using alien bees and triggering them via a pc sync cable ruin the camera or lights if I use an old 35mm? I remember that you can't use old hotshoe flashes on today's cameras but is there any danger in sync cable usage with old/new gear mixing?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Quick question: will using alien bees and triggering them via a pc sync cable ruin the camera or lights if I use an old 35mm? I remember that you can't use old hotshoe flashes on today's cameras but is there any danger in sync cable usage with old/new gear mixing?
It's fine. It's the other way around that you have to be careful (old lights with new cameras).

macx
Feb 3, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

It's fine. It's the other way around that you have to be careful (old lights with new cameras).

Really? Why is that?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

macx posted:

Really? Why is that?

Too much power through the contacts can fry things inside the body

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

macx posted:

Really? Why is that?

The flash unit provides its own power, and when the camera takes a picture, your camera completes the circuit between the flash batteries and the strobe. New cameras and flashes only pass a few volts through that triggering circuit, probably using that little charge to flip a relay. Oldschool flashes just passed the full charge straight through the camera's trigger, sometimes hundreds of volts through it. (I think)

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 10, 2011

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

The flash unit provides its own power, and when the camera takes a picture, your camera completes the circuit between the flash batteries and the strobe. New cameras and flashes only pass a few volts through that triggering circuit, probably using that little charge to flip a relay. Oldschool flashes just passed the full charge straight through the camera's trigger, sometimes hundreds of volts through it. (I think)
This is right and here's a big chart of trigger voltages and whether they're safe for Canon EOS cameras. Nikon should have similar tolerances but look it up.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I may be wrong but I think PC sync is safe since no voltage is sent through it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Dread Head posted:

I may be wrong but I think PC sync is safe since no voltage is sent through it.

It wouldn't be electrical if there weren't voltage! :science:

The issue is just that TTL hot-shoes have sensitive circuitry connected to them that can't handle higher voltages. The manual for the 5D2, at least, says its PC terminal can handle 250V. The PC sync circuit is no doubt much simpler and easier to make with components that can tolerate higher voltages.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

MrBlandAverage posted:

It wouldn't be electrical if there weren't voltage! :science:

The issue is just that TTL hot-shoes have sensitive circuitry connected to them that can't handle higher voltages. The manual for the 5D2, at least, says its PC terminal can handle 250V. The PC sync circuit is no doubt much simpler and easier to make with components that can tolerate higher voltages.

I know an electrical signal is sent through it but I did not think any large voltages where.

macx
Feb 3, 2005

Interesting. When, roughly speaking, did they start changing the loop to be a low voltage trigger instead of the full current?

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap
Does anyone have any advice for lining things up on top of some poster board?

I'm trying to take this photo for an ongoing project I've been working on:

I can get everything mostly lined up with a ruler, but nothing really looks aligned overall, and it is a pain in the rear end because everything is so close together and the ruler knocks stuff around. I guess I should use some tape to lock stuff down when it looks right. I can get things pretty close, but I was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

robertdx posted:

I can get everything mostly lined up with a ruler, but nothing really looks aligned overall, and it is a pain in the rear end because everything is so close together and the ruler knocks stuff around. I guess I should use some tape to lock stuff down when it looks right. I can get things pretty close, but I was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions.

I'd fix it in Photoshop because gently caress having patience.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For work like that, you really want graph paper. And rubber cement if you can glue the stuff you're working on down.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

robertdx posted:

I don't know the exact details of your project but if I was doing it, given what I see, I'd photograph them individually and lay them out in Photoshop like Sensy suggested. I would also read some articles on framing pictures to get some layout tips, particularly focusing on horizon lines.

Then I would experiment with background colors because anchoring differing shades of white on a single hue of white isn't going to anchor them at all. If you don't need to use the originals, monochrome the photos and color correct them to uniformity and print them at Kinko's on the cheap.

For final assembly I'd use a lightboard if you go with a light background. Otherwise graph paper and a measuring mat.

Not using the originals and printing it on a single 20x30 so that it is all flattened is going to look the best I think. You could also try a custom matte that covers up the spaces between might work.

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm guessing graph paper is going to be the best way to go. I'd prefer to use the originals, and I'd prefer to capture it in a single shot (although it does seem like composting everything together would be easier). Going to go to the office supply store today to look at different colored background or matte paper, but I'd also prefer to keep the main background white to match with other shots in the series. White on white, this is a pain in the rear end but at least I am trying to push myself. If I could get tiny squares of off color paper to put behind each card that might help isolate them from the background, but then I'd worry about individually cutting each to be the same size. My other thought was to place a small coin or something under each card, so that they come up off the background a little bit and cause more of a shadow to drop behind them. I dunno, I'll keep you updated.

This is part of a series for the 25th anniversary of my diagnosis with diabetes. It's not really great but some stuff is turning out better than others.

http://gallery.rjbphoto.com/photos/1186523811_zbWeU-M.jpg
http://gallery.rjbphoto.com/photos/1186962094_JbZbR-M.jpg
http://gallery.rjbphoto.com/photos/1187487339_8GsuT-M.jpg

Keep in mind I don't really know what I'm doing and it's still a work in progress, I have about half a month to finish before the actual anniversary date. I know the deadpan shots of stuff on white background is probably overdone, but gently caress it I like the way it looks.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

robertdx posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm guessing graph paper is going to be the best way to go. I'd prefer to use the originals, and I'd prefer to capture it in a single shot (although it does seem like composting everything together would be easier). Going to go to the office supply store today to look at different colored background or matte paper, but I'd also prefer to keep the main background white to match with other shots in the series. White on white, this is a pain in the rear end but at least I am trying to push myself. If I could get tiny squares of off color paper to put behind each card that might help isolate them from the background, but then I'd worry about individually cutting each to be the same size. My other thought was to place a small coin or something under each card, so that they come up off the background a little bit and cause more of a shadow to drop behind them. I dunno, I'll keep you updated.

This is part of a series for the 25th anniversary of my diagnosis with diabetes. It's not really great but some stuff is turning out better than others.

http://gallery.rjbphoto.com/photos/1186523811_zbWeU-M.jpg
http://gallery.rjbphoto.com/photos/1186962094_JbZbR-M.jpg
http://gallery.rjbphoto.com/photos/1187487339_8GsuT-M.jpg

Keep in mind I don't really know what I'm doing and it's still a work in progress, I have about half a month to finish before the actual anniversary date. I know the deadpan shots of stuff on white background is probably overdone, but gently caress it I like the way it looks.

You should start a project thread, pretty interesting idea and some of the shots look pretty cool.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I'm trying to remember a photographer who did compositions of urban scenes. As in he'd stand in an urban environment for several hours, have a certain figure in mind and take pictures. Afterwards he'd put them all in one image. Kind of vague, I do remember that he had businessmen and a pigeon in one image, or married couples in another.

Robertdx, I'd love to see the finished project as well, I really like that deadpan stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Are you talking about Peter Funch? http://www.peterfunch.com/index.php?/ongoing/babel-tales/