Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Ziir posted:

Oh silly me, I thought it would update over wifi.

It would eventually, once Amazon has pressed the button, but it's still in "early preview" mode, which basically means "if you want it, come get it yourself"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

iwentdoodie posted:

wait, what?

My wife ordered my Kindle in December, and I'm running 3.0.2. It never says there's an update available....how can I fix that?

Well, you could download the version 4.0 preview, which should install. As I said, you're actually running 3.0.5 but it says 3.0.2 wrongly :v:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Emailed Amazon about my freezing/unlit case issue. Will update later. Maybe I can provide a another testimony for their customer service, it if interests anybody.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Emailed Amazon about my freezing/unlit case issue. Will update later. Maybe I can provide a another testimony for their customer service, it if interests anybody.

I think it's been pretty much proven at this point that Amazon are awesome at customer service (At least, regarding the Kindle? I don't know how they are with other stuff).

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Soul Glo posted:

The email response is just going to say to call. As far as I know they only do this in "person".

Centipeed posted:

I think it's been pretty much proven at this point that Amazon are awesome at customer service (At least, regarding the Kindle? I don't know how they are with other stuff).

No, it's with everything. Amazon has the best customer service. Which is why even if I see something for a few bucks less somewhere else, like newegg, I still buy from Amazon and I only buy Prime eligible things and never from 3rd party unless fulfilled by amazon..

Having the amazon credit card helps too :woop:

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Wait, the only way I can put an item on my Kindle into the archived section (and consequently away from my home screen) is if it was purchased through Amazon? So books I transfer from calibre can't go there? :wtc:

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Ziir posted:

Wait, the only way I can put an item on my Kindle into the archived section (and consequently away from my home screen) is if it was purchased through Amazon? So books I transfer from calibre can't go there? :wtc:

This is correct. Though you could just make a folder that is called Calibre Archived or something similar and store your old books there.

Not sure why you would want to archive books available through calibre anyways, but that's how I'd do it.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Ziir posted:

The archive is stored on Amazon's servers. How would they store and keep track of stuff that's on your computer?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I thought it was stored on the Kindle itself, like a place to put books I've finished reading.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Actually, I'm pretty sure I saw some old newspapers' feeds imported using Calibre in the archived section.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Ziir posted:

I thought it was stored on the Kindle itself, like a place to put books I've finished reading.

Nope, it's stuff that you own but isn't currently on your Kindle, so you can easily download if you decide you want to read it again.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Sorry, stupid question, but is the Kindle 3G good enough for simple browsing for UK-residents(south west london)? Is it also completely, without any exemptions, free for us?

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Ziir posted:

Further testament to how awful the Kindle home screen is.

Bet the next firmware beta will include book emoticons.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

FidgetyRat posted:

Yeah I don't know why they haven't made fixing this a priority. The Sony readers do a great job, since they let you browse by Author and Title in alphabetical order.

I can't imagine how awful the Kindle's screen looks if you've filled it up with a ton of books; the sorting methods it offers are really clumsy.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
If anyone is looking for a cheap Nook. 1saleaday has refurbed units for 80 bucks.

https://1saleaday.com/

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Well poo poo. I learned the hard way that Kindle books that are loanable can only ever be loaned once. That makes it a significantly less useful feature.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Solvency posted:

Well poo poo. I learned the hard way that Kindle books that are loanable can only ever be loaned once. That makes it a significantly less useful feature.

The nook feature (unfortunately) works the same way, just an issue with ebooks in general right now.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
how do you return Kindle books? does it only works if you buy them but never read them? because I just bought a couple and I went to my Manage Your Kindle page but there isn't a "return" option next to any of the books.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

El Hefe posted:

how do you return Kindle books? does it only works if you buy them but never read them? because I just bought a couple and I went to my Manage Your Kindle page but there isn't a "return" option next to any of the books.

You have to call them to get the refund but I don't know if you can return multiple books at one time.

I would think that would raise a red flag for them.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Either email or call to return kindle books. Must be within 7 days from purchase.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Solvency posted:

If you temporarily register a friend's Kindle to your Amazon account they can download a copy of all the books you currently own and keep them forever - though only 6 Kindles or Kindle apps on other devices can have a copy of a book from your account at once.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

OptimusMatrix posted:

If anyone is looking for a cheap Nook. 1saleaday has refurbed units for 80 bucks.

https://1saleaday.com/

Thanks, I've been on the fence for awhile between a Nook, a Kindle 3, or waiting and hoping for a Nook 2 with a Pearl screen in the next 3 months, this pushed me over and I ordered it!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FidgetyRat posted:

Bet the next firmware beta will include book emoticons.

The UI for the Kindle app on iPad is incredibly fast and easy. It really is a pain to organize stuff on the actual Kindle. It feels to me that Amazon spent more time on the iPad app, or maybe it's just the limitations of e-ink.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

The UI for the Kindle app on iPad is incredibly fast and easy. It really is a pain to organize stuff on the actual Kindle. It feels to me that Amazon spent more time on the iPad app, or maybe it's just the limitations of e-ink.

I doubt it.. Most of the issues stem from sorting which is screen independent. Plus when you shop the kindle store from the kindle itself, they have it sorted nice, with book covers. If that could do it, so could the home screen.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Soul Glo posted:

The email was automated. It said to call.

The first one was to some guy who listened to my problem and rerouted to another guy who I suspect solely deals with the case thing. He was awesome. He put a $60 credit on my account that I could use towards the lighted case. I bought a red one. He also said I could pick any shipping I wanted and they would refund it. I was going to just go with standard, but I figure with the storm coming, one day shipping would at least give me a shot of getting it before next week.

All told-- about $80 credit from Amazon. The weird thing was that he didn't even need to verify that I owned the case at all. It was bought on my mom's account. When I brought that up and offered to give them her email, he waved it off. They don't even want my unlit case to be shipped back to them; he said they have plenty that the engineers are working on to find a solution.

I love Amazon.

:toot:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

El Hefe posted:

A couple of months ago I bought a book (QI Book of General Ignorance) and read half of it before I noticed that there was two Kindle editions of the same book, one was the 'stouter' edition which was updated and had a bit of extra content for almost the same price. I emailed Amazon saying I bought the pocket edition by mistake and they refunded me the price and I went ahead and bought the stouter edition.

This was 10 days after buying it, so just outside of their 7 days book returns for whatever reason thing they got going.

In summary, Amazon are pretty loving amazing.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I wish the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary was available for the Kindle. I wouldn't have to carry around that monstrosity. :smith:

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

fishmech posted:

If you temporarily register a friend's Kindle to your Amazon account they can download a copy of all the books you currently own and keep them forever - though only 6 Kindles or Kindle apps on other devices can have a copy of a book from your account at once.

Awesome, Kindle books for free :filez:!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Internaut! posted:

Awesome, Kindle books for free :filez:!

It's not "files" nor is it free. It's explicitly allowed in the purchase rules.

Nice attempt to backseat mod though.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

josh04 posted:

Academic texts sometimes have standard pagination. My copy of Plato's Symposium is numbered like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephanus_pagination

Oh, huh. I guess that makes sense, then. I wasn't really thinking of reading assignments since 99% of the courses I took assigned reading by chapters (computer engineering), but I could see that being important there. It still seems to me that doing citations by location would be more precise, though.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

fishmech posted:

It's not "files" nor is it free. It's explicitly allowed in the purchase rules.

Nice attempt to backseat mod though.

B&N works the same deal with the Nook stuff. I have my android phone, computer, my nook, and my wife's nook all on my account and we both get new purchases on all devices. I think the limit is like 5 or 6?

Mononymous
Mar 28, 2009
Does anyone have an idea what the problem is with the PRS-650 supply? I'm in the UK and everywhere has said out of stock since before Christmas. My local Waterstones basically shrugged their shoulders and said that they just had to wait until one came in since Sony won't take orders.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

The Kindle app for iPad and iPhone may also get pulled if Apple continues to be a dick about sales through the app store (or with not selling with in app payment). Absolutely absurd if that happens.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Duckman2008 posted:

The Kindle app for iPad and iPhone may also get pulled if Apple continues to be a dick about sales through the app store (or with not selling with in app payment). Absolutely absurd if that happens.

Are you really shocked about Apple making dick moves?

Also, I still cannot get over how much I love my Kindle. I spend most of my day sitting in front of an x-ray machine, waiting on my shots to get done. Having my Kindle means that while I'm sitting there for roughly 4 hours a day, I'm not pondering suicide while just watching the timer tick down. Best electronic device I've ever had.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

They did this to Sony, but I really don't see this happening to the Kindle app--it's too much of a draw to potential/current iOS users to have access to their Kindle books to pull the app.

I may be surprised at some point, but I don't see them pulling this.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

maduin posted:

They did this to Sony, but I really don't see this happening to the Kindle app--it's too much of a draw to potential/current iOS users to have access to their Kindle books to pull the app.

I may be surprised at some point, but I don't see them pulling this.

The difference is that Sony tried to sell books in the app, without using Apple's official in-app purchase system. Amazon doesn't do this. The Kindle app just sends you to Safari to buy books.

Now, according to Apple, Amazon's system apparently breaks the rules too, but my point is that there is a difference between the Kindle app and the Sony app when it comes to purchases. Amazon doesn't do the same thing that Sony had their app pulled for.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if microsoft got in trouble for bundling Explorer in with Windows, how in the world is Apple getting away with disallowing apps that sell through webpages rather than their system?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm posting from my Kindle and I have to say, I am pretty amazed at how useable/readable the forums are when you tilt the screen over and set it to 150%. A little slow and the text is a tad bit on the small side but still the same forum experience as on my PC.

- edit But it is slightly annoying that you have to set it to 150% every time you go to a new page.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 11, 2011

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

maxnmona posted:

if microsoft got in trouble for bundling Explorer in with Windows, how in the world is Apple getting away with disallowing apps that sell through webpages rather than their system?

Microsoft only really faced all of that stuff because of their huge market share, but the iPhone isn't as ubiquitous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

maxnmona posted:

Because Apple doesn't have a near monopoly on the market. If iPhones ever start to make up 95% of the smart phone market, then they might start having legal problems.