Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Sporadic posted:

I'm posting from my Kindle and I have to say, I am pretty amazed at how useable/readable the forums are when you tilt the screen over and set it to 150%.

I just use http://www.readingthenet.com/

made browsing a LOT easier for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

Because Apple doesn't have a near monopoly on the market. If iPhones ever start to make up 95% of the smart phone market, then they might start having legal problems.

Could they at least be prevented from screwing over Kindle on the iPad? The iPad has a 75% marketshare of tablets (down from 95% a few months ago) - is that too narrow a market for dominance like that to matter w/r/t antitrust laws? I basically never use the Kindle app on my phone but love it on my iPad.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

trdn89 posted:

Could they at least be prevented from screwing over Kindle on the iPad? The iPad has a 75% marketshare of tablets (down from 95% a few months ago) - is that too narrow a market for dominance like that to matter w/r/t antitrust laws? I basically never use the Kindle app on my phone but love it on my iPad.

Are tablets even a big enough market to be relevant to anything? I live in a really urban area and I've still only ever seen two iPads outside of store displays.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Ara posted:

Are tablets even a big enough market to be relevant to anything? I live in a really urban area and I've still only ever seen two iPads outside of store displays.

What urban area is that? I live in nyc and I see them everywhere.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
What's funny about the Apple/Store fiasco, is that buying books through these apps isn't the only means to obtain them. I own a kindle and have never once purchased a book on the kindle itself. I log onto amazon.com on my computer, shop comfortably, then buy and have it zapped over.

I'd be just as happy downloading a file and taking the 20 seconds to copy it over USB. If I know I'll be on a long trip, I'll just buy 2-3 books. Hell, even on the iPhone, just load up safari and buy the book.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

maxnmona posted:

What urban area is that? I live in nyc and I see them everywhere.

Tokyo. iPhone is everywhere but nobody ever has a tablet. I didn't know it was that popular in the US.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Ara posted:

Tokyo. iPhone is everywhere but nobody ever has a tablet. I didn't know it was that popular in the US.

I've seen quite a few in the Nagoya area, but to be fair I don't think they're as popular over here as they are in the States (and presumably elsewhere). Some dimwit was actually running on a treadmill next to me the other day while reading his ...

I've got a Kindle on the way over here, is there a consensus on what is the best cover/case? Didn't see anything in the OP about that. I'm not particularly inclined towards one over the other in terms of form; I'll probably just go with whatever comes recommended.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

petewhitley posted:

I've seen quite a few in the Nagoya area, but to be fair I don't think they're as popular over here as they are in the States (and presumably elsewhere). Some dimwit was actually running on a treadmill next to me the other day while reading his ...

I've got a Kindle on the way over here, is there a consensus on what is the best cover/case? Didn't see anything in the OP about that. I'm not particularly inclined towards one over the other in terms of form; I'll probably just go with whatever comes recommended.

The official case with the light. I don't know why anyone would get anything else.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

maxnmona posted:

The official case with the light. I don't know why anyone would get anything else.

Is there a reason why? There are dozens of covers/cases available.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

petewhitley posted:

Is there a reason why? There are dozens of covers/cases available.

It attaches without any straps and it has a really convenient light on it that doesn't ever require a battery charge. Even if you don't plan on reading in the dark, the kindle kinda sucks in low light so having the light is great.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

maxnmona posted:

It attaches without any straps and it has a really convenient light on it that doesn't ever require a battery charge. Even if you don't plan on reading in the dark, the kindle kinda sucks in low light so having the light is great.

That's sounds pretty drat good. Thanks!

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

maxnmona posted:

For me, it was a few reasons.

1) I no longer trust Amazon's case design after the unlit case fiasco.
2) Reports of cracking the kindle (though probably due to user error).
3) Increased weight
4) Battery pulls from kindle draining it faster then usual. I'd rather recharge a AAA battery then wear my kindle battery out faster.
5) Scattered reports of battery damage and/or draining even without the light being used.
6) Light stationary in the top right corner (I'm horribly picky and that would drive me nuts).

You asked :unsmith:

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

FidgetyRat posted:

For me, it was a few reasons.

1) I no longer trust Amazon's case design after the unlit case fiasco.
2) Reports of cracking the kindle (though probably due to user error).
3) Increased weight
4) Battery pulls from kindle draining it faster then usual. I'd rather recharge a AAA battery then wear my kindle battery out faster.
5) Scattered reports of battery damage and/or draining even without the light being used.
6) Light stationary in the top right corner (I'm horribly picky and that would drive me nuts).

You asked :unsmith:

1. The problem was caused by not having the light. When you have the light, you don't have a problem, but you do have a light.
2. Never heard anything like that. Sounds like user's fault.
3. Eh, it's still easy to hold in one hand for hours.
4. It drains mildly faster. I still only have to charge my kindle every few weeks.
5. Again, never heard anything like that or experienced it.
6. Have you actually seen the light in person? It's a very slight difference between the top right and bottom left corners, but the entire page is completely readable even with no other light.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The official Kindle cover will only crack the case if you attempt to open it from the back instead of the front. I just stuck some velcro on the back of my Kindle and on the case to keep the back cover from flexing and to hold it more secure.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Judging from this video, the case does look a little bulky, and the lighting is uneven. This would irritate me too much as well. It does look like something you could toss into a bag, but I'd feel that too much of the sides of the Kindle are exposed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2sINv06Wss4#t=215s

I use a simple zipper pouch with a foamy interior that I bought from a nearby Asian import shop called Daiso. It cost a buck thirty. The lighted case is a stunning $60. I've fiddled with use-while-in-the-case designs on different electronics for years, they're all bulky, overpriced, and usually rob the device's design of any slimness. Slip-out cases are much cheaper and protect about the same. OTOH, if I commuted with my Kindle I might want something more protective, because I can see that thing clattering on the floor of a full train, out of its case.

Worth the gamble.

fake e: Here's a slip-in case that's under $10: http://www.amazon.com/AMAZON-KINDLE-Black-Carrying-Sleeve/dp/B002DV5ZDQ

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Judging from this video, the case does look a little bulky, and the lighting is uneven. This would irritate me too much as well. It does look like something you could toss into a bag, but I'd feel that too much of the sides of the Kindle are exposed.

Again, you really have to see it in person. It looks really uneven in photos and video, but it's barely noticeable when using it.

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding
You really need to see the lighed case in person to appreciate how nice it is. The lighting is absolutely perfect, only a slight gradient from top corner to bottom. The top corner isn't too bright, and the bottom corner isn't too dark. You can also see all the keys at the bottom perfectly with the light on.

I see no reason why you would want to move the light around, it is extremely non-obstrusive. The leather case itself is great quality and I actually like the added weight and slight bulk of it. It gives you a much more comfortable hold on the Kindle. I don't like reading with the bare unit.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I thought the reason Microsoft got sued was because Microsoft is/was a software provider (OS) whereas Apple is a hardware provider, so they can do anything they want since it's their own system.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Traxis posted:

The official Kindle cover will only crack the case if you attempt to open it from the back instead of the front. I just stuck some velcro on the back of my Kindle and on the case to keep the back cover from flexing and to hold it more secure.

People have actually done this? I always slip the elastic over the front cover, so if I ever picked it up facing the wrong way the elastic would be on the back and I'd immediately know what's up.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Centipeed posted:

People have actually done this? I always slip the elastic over the front cover, so if I ever picked it up facing the wrong way the elastic would be on the back and I'd immediately know what's up.

The problem was on the old Kindle 2 case, which didn't have any elastic.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Ziir posted:

I thought the reason Microsoft got sued was because Microsoft is/was a software provider (OS) whereas Apple is a hardware provider, so they can do anything they want since it's their own system.

Apple are a hardware and software provider, making the difference only one of market share. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the EU got uppity over Apple's latest bullshit since they seem to have issues with literally everybody else (regardless of market control).

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Ziir posted:

No it was because Microsoft had upwards of 95% market share in the PC market and was using that leverage to crowd out competitors in another (arguably unrelated) market.

If Apple had ~90% market share in the smartphone market and was using that to block all eReader apps except iBooks then it would be highly likely they'd be the subject of a DoJ probe for anti-trust activities. As it stands they have ~20% market share and they're not locking anyone out, just demanding a cut.

I posted this in one of the other iPhone threads I think but locking competitors out of your platform is not grounds for an anti-trust lawsuit unless you actually hold monopoly power over the market you're using to lock out competitors. If platform lockout alone was illegal any manufacturer of any product ever that had proprietary components (think Gillette razors or HP printers + ink cartridges) would be dragged into court.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Monkeyseesaw posted:

I posted this in one of the other iPhone threads I think but locking competitors out of your platform is not grounds for an anti-trust lawsuit unless you actually hold monopoly power over the market you're using to lock out competitors. If platform lockout alone was illegal any manufacturer of any product ever that had proprietary components (think Gillette razors or HP printers + ink cartridges) would be dragged into court.

Well, that's an interesting question. Is it legal to create razor blades that can fit on gillette razors or ink cartridges that work with HP printers? If you're not copying the design, I can't see how it wouldn't be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Some people are confusing some issues.

The problem would be for a company to use their competitive advantage in one area to lock out competition in the another area. In MS case, it was using their success in the OS market to corner the browser market.

So, if apple had the majority of the tablet market and they used that to lock out competition in the ebook market, then they would be under investigation.

Apple already skirted with anti-trust issues in Europe over music sales in iTunes. THIS is the main reason why the vast majority of the music became DRM free as there was a growing concern that their success in music sales was preventing anyone else from competing in the PMP marketplace.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Some people are confusing some issues.

The problem would be for a company to use their competitive advantage in one area to lock out competition in the another area. In MS case, it was using their success in the OS market to corner the browser market.

So, if apple had the majority of the tablet market and they used that to lock out competition in the ebook market, then they would be under investigation.

Apple already skirted with anti-trust issues in Europe over music sales in iTunes. THIS is the main reason why the vast majority of the music became DRM free as there was a growing concern that their success in music sales was preventing anyone else from competing in the PMP marketplace.

So if they had a huge share of the tablet market and then made it so you could only buy ebooks through their app system, wouldn't that be the exact same thing?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Diabolik900 posted:

The problem was on the old Kindle 2 case, which didn't have any elastic.

I tried opening up my Kindle 3 the wrong way and it seems like you'd either have to be drunk or trying to fling it open to actually cause any damage. I mean, it just doesn't really want to open that way, period.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Vertigus posted:

I tried opening up my Kindle 3 the wrong way and it seems like you'd either have to be drunk or trying to fling it open to actually cause any damage. I mean, it just doesn't really want to open that way, period.

Yeah, I don't have a 3, but I'm sure after they had this issue with the 2 that they spent some time trying to prevent it from happening again. Even with the 2, I always thought you had to be pretty careless to have this problem. I've had mine for almost two years now without issue.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
I bought the Splash case for Kindle 3.

http://www.amazon.com/splash-SIGNATURE-Leather-Generation-Display/dp/B004FOEVFW/ref=sr_1_49?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1297453534&sr=1-49

I'm actually quite happy with it. I don't know if the material it's made of is actually leather (this is actually the only reason for the 2/35 negative reviews on the product's page), but it does a really good job of staying in your hands. The best part is how the kindle is held in place. Rather than the metal prongs or attaching to the corners, the whole kindle fits inside. If it were to slide out, it could only do so through the inner portion of the case (and the case would only have to be held completely flat.

My only complaints are how the case is fastened and the access to the right page turn buttons. The case has a small leather strip that tightly fits through another leather loop. Currently it works quite well, but I see this likely loosening over time. The screen/face buttons are not perfectly centered in the front opening (although it really doesn't get in the way of reading/using the buttons). The right page turn buttons are barely obstructed from the top (may be due to my sausage fingers), but I didn't even notice this after a few minutes of reading.

I bought this for about 19 bucks a few weeks ago, but the price has dropped to 15. I recommend it that needs a good case, but doesn't want to spend approaching half the price of the device to buy it.

thedouche fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 11, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

maxnmona posted:

So if they had a huge share of the tablet market and then made it so you could only buy ebooks through their app system, wouldn't that be the exact same thing?

They would have to have a monopoly share in the market. Also, using "tablet" is probably wrong in this context and we should use eReader instead. Compared to the number of Kindles, Nooks, Sony Readers, Android Phones, and Android Tablets; Apple doesn't have a monopoly so nothing would be actionable.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

maxnmona posted:

Well, that's an interesting question. Is it legal to create razor blades that can fit on gillette razors or ink cartridges that work with HP printers? If you're not copying the design, I can't see how it wouldn't be.

Ink/printer manufacturers throw a microchip in the cartridge and the printer says "Are you a Genuine HP ink cartridge" over the API to the chip, and the chip says "yes!" and then the ink works, or the printer says you're out of ink. The manufacturers then sued people who made chips like that with the DMCA as a circumvention of a content protection device. I can't recall if they won or lost though.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

maxnmona posted:

I doubt anyone here is a lawyer but my guess is no since the in-purchase app system is available to third-party devs. No one's "locked out" of the platform.

They could arguably have a case if Apple required third-parties to use their in-app purchase system *AND* paired it with a revenue sharing deal so prohibitive that realistically no one can leverage the platform except Apple.

Which if things keep going the way they're going might we might end up there but again since Apple hasn't cornered the smart phone market it's anti-competitive but not an actual monopolistic violation since venders can just use Android or Win Phone 7 or [insert other mobile platform here].

edit: or the Kindle device itself obviously.

edit2: this stuff is a really big gray area. On a technical level you could argue that forcing devs to use the in-app purchase API isn't any different then forcing devs to use Apple's OpenGL API for 3d-rendering. In either case Apple is dictating how to interact with the hardware and software ecosystem. The difference is in the details; obviously no one's business model hinges on programming the graphics chip of the iPhone directly.

Even the MS anti-trust lawsuit isn't black-and-white. How is bundling Internet Explorer any different from bundling, say, Wordpad? An OS with no built-in means for creating text files is ridiculous, it's crippled. MS arguably made a decision that an OS without a built-in means to reach the Internet is similarly crippled. While this wasn't necessarily true in 1996, history has shown them to be right and there isn't an OS in existence (of any non-trivial adoption) that doesn't come with some browser bundled with it. It's important to remember that MS never prohibited Netscape from installing their browser, they just made the bar for using IE so low that no one ever took the effort to seek an alternative, which obviously cut into Netscape's bottom line.

Anti-trust suits are usually more about how hard is party X making it for party Y and Z to make money in some market and whether the DoJ feels that's actually a detriment to the consumer. The technical details of what the actual anti-competitive practice is is largely immaterial. It's not like Apple's API goes from allowing X to prohibiting X and and suddenly a switch flips in some government office and they're now in violation of anti-trust laws. Someone has to have some monetary interest in the game.

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 11, 2011

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Wow, I like the look of this a lot and would probably buy one if I didn't already have the lighted cover. I'll keep it in mind if I ever get annoyed with the cover I have, but so far I've been perfectly happy with the one I have.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
I'd like to add my weight to praise for the official lighted Kindle 3 case.

Initially I was disappointed it cost so much. But as soon as I opened it up from the box I could see why it was so expensive. It's just pure quality. I would NEVER use my kindle without it. The smell, the feel, the sleekness it makes the Kindle feel like a book in my hands, something worth holding on to and reading. Completely screw any ideas of using the Kindle without this case. It would just feel wrong.

Each to his own though. Unless Amazon have a return policy on the thing it's a bit of a steep ask to buy it blindly to see if you like it. But trust me, it's definitely worth it.

Does anyone here have a book that lists that it supports page numbers on the website but in fact does not show the page numbers in Kindle for PC or the Kindle itself?

I purchased The Name of the Wind last night - http://www.amazon.com/Name-Wind-Kingkiller-Chronicle-ebook/dp/B0010SKUYM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1297484899&sr=8-3 - but it doesn't appear to be working. The only other purchased book I have doesn't list any ISBN page number source so I assume it doesn't have it.

Also while I'm here, I must say I am drat impressed with the improvement the Australian Kindle Store has made. Most books I look for are not only available now, but also mostly the same price or only a few dollars more. Some in fact were slightly cheaper than the US store (Terry Pratchett books).

Once I use up my gift card money on my US account I will most likely switch to my Australian account so I can enjoy my Kindle with Wifi turned on and not have to worry about proxies and what have you.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Ingram posted:

Does anyone here have a book that lists that it supports page numbers on the website but in fact does not show the page numbers in Kindle for PC or the Kindle itself?

I purchased The Name of the Wind last night - http://www.amazon.com/Name-Wind-Kingkiller-Chronicle-ebook/dp/B0010SKUYM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1297484899&sr=8-3 - but it doesn't appear to be working. The only other purchased book I have doesn't list any ISBN page number source so I assume it doesn't have it.

Turn on the WiFi, open the book, open the menu, and let it sit for a moment. I did this with a couple of books, and the page numbers magically appeared within a minute or so--I think the Kindle has to communicate with Amazon or compute something in the background for the page numbers to show up initially.

Oh, yeah, and make sure you actually have the 3.1 firmware.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I hate that the 3.1 firmware doesn't display the locations or pages, just the percentage and a big blank area. It looks like wasted space, it was nice when locations info was there, or if page info was there instead.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Ha, I thought my new Kindle lighted case was broken because it didn't turn on every time I pulled out the light but it turns out I wasn't pulling it out far enough :downs:

So far, I think it is worth the money. Nice leather, the light more than covers the whole screen and it doesn't add that much weight to the whole thing. Feels about the same as my Kindle 1 in the lovely default case.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Is there a way to delete certain default screen savers from my Kindle? Cause this Emily Dickinson one is freaking me the gently caress out.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Ziir posted:

Is there a way to delete certain default screen savers from my Kindle? Cause this Emily Dickinson one is freaking me the gently caress out.

In a roundabout sort of way, yes. First, DON'T UPGRADE TO 3.1 YET. Then, follow the instructions in the OP to install the screensaver hack, and then collect the default Kindle screensavers from a Google search or something. Install the screensavers as per the hack's instructions, minus Ms. Dickinson. After you install the hack, you can upgrade to 3.1, but you won't be able to install any additional hacks after that (I think).

If you've already installed 3.1, you're boned until someone comes up with a new jailbreaking method.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Already on 3.1. Guess I'll have to deal with waking up in the middle of the night without my glasses/contacts, groggy, and seeing some woman with no eyes staring into my soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Ziir posted:

Already on 3.1. Guess I'll have to deal with waking up in the middle of the night without my glasses/contacts, groggy, and seeing some woman with no eyes staring into my soul.

If you switch it off and she appears, just switch it on and off again and get a different wallpaper?