Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Taear posted:

The only geninue cunts in Skins series 1/2 are Tony and Chris's Mum.

To be fair Sid could be a bit of a twat and Chris wouldn't be that great to be friends with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Taear posted:

The only geninue cunts in Skins series 1/2 are Tony and Chris's Mum.
and even Tony realises he's a oval office and stops being a prick in series 2

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Fat Turkey posted:

I'm not a spoilt 16 year old girl, so I have never been in any position to understand this, but I don't get why they want to learn and perform dance routines flanked by professional dancers. Singing, I understand, but 'performing' a terrible routine being shown up by people who do it for a living just sounds like a recipe for embarrassment.

I'm guessing that having your every whim and desire catored for probably doesn't produce an enviroment conducive for learning your limitations and the desire to avoid looking like an incredible wanker that most normal people develop.

Calico Noose fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 13, 2011

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kin posted:

I just saw another one today on the same subject but with a different person and once again religion slipped into it. It wasn't as blatant as the one a few days ago but you could still tell that it was an ad for religion.
Like it or not, religion makes up a big part of many lives in the nation, and I'm pretty sure the idea of that segment every day is to reflect the viewpoint of a particular part of society. You and I aren't religious so we view those ones with natural derision, but I'm sure the opposite is true when an atheist or agnostic gives their view on something that often has a religious aspect for some people (like discipline, marriage, etc.)

Indeed, it has, in the past, devoted time to this very subject.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

and even Tony realises he's a oval office and stops being a prick in series 2

Wasn't it more that he was ran over by a bus and broke his brain? I din't actually watch it, but that's how it sounded.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Wasn't it more that he was ran over by a bus and broke his brain? I din't actually watch it, but that's how it sounded.

The finale to seaon one is his redemption moment as he apologises for his deeds over the phone to his girlfriend. Then a bus plows into him and a musical number begins.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

cloudchamber posted:

The finale to seaon one is his redemption moment as he apologises for his deeds over the phone to his girlfriend. Then a bus plows into him and a musical number begins.

The finale happened in 2007. How has it taken over three years for me to hear those sentences? I've just found it on youtube, it's fantastic. Especially when an unconscious Tony joins in the singing.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
There's a moment in Skins season 2 that has always stuck with me. It's when Sid comes out of shock in the club along to that track with the weirdly distorted vocals, then breaks down in Tony's arms. Nicely executed scene.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
That was when Skins had actual writers and not people plucked off the street.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Skeksis posted:

Mid Morning Matters with Alan Partridge is back, with quite possibly the best episode so far: http://www.youtube.com/user/fosters

This is one of those things I have to leave playing in another tab and half-listen to while I do something else because it is just too excruciating to look at directly.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
Rastamouse provokes complaints of racism and teaching bad language

'' posted:

The thing I'm most worried about is her saying the words like 'Rasta' and going up to a child and saying (these) things ... my child is white and I feel if she was to say this to another child who was not white that it would be seen as her insulting the other child.

The Rastafarian mouse, who leads a band called the Easy Crew and speaks in Jamaican Patois, uses phrases such as "me wan go" ("I want to go"), "irie" ("happy"), "wagwan" ("what's going on?"). His mission is to "make a bad ting good".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8320549/Rastamouse-provokes-complaints-of-racism-and-teaching-bad-language.html

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
These people are dangerous and must be stopped before they damage something beautiful.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

wickles posted:

Rastamouse provokes complaints of racism and teaching bad language

The Rastafarian mouse, who leads a band called the Easy Crew and speaks in Jamaican Patois, uses phrases such as "me wan go" ("I want to go"), "irie" ("happy"), "wagwan" ("what's going on?"). His mission is to "make a bad ting good".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8320549/Rastamouse-provokes-complaints-of-racism-and-teaching-bad-language.html

Do they realize that Rastafari is a spiritual thing? It's not like it's making fun of it, that's how they are. This is ridiculous, I love Rastas.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 13, 2011

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

"Any reference to any culture other than your own is racism." -mumset.com posters

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Dicky B posted:

"Any reference to any culture other than your own is racism." -mumset.com posters

Guess I'll have to tell my white, Catholic, Scottish nieces and nephews that they can't watch any more Rastamouse then.

Pity, because there is actually nothing weirder and cuter than a 5-year old Glaswegian attempting to imitate a Rastafarian accent. :3:

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Dicky B posted:

I read that as sarcasm. It is sarcasm, right?

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
Stewart Lee: What's Wrong With Blasphemy? from 2006 is on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKxTTWOIce8

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's got Alan Moore in it. Alan Moore is hilariously mental.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

DaWolfey posted:

I read that as sarcasm. It is sarcasm, right?

Have you never heard of mumsnet

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mumsnet is loving terrible, but the mass media seems to have latched onto it as the common voice of the modern home-making mother. This is considered a MASSIVE undecided voting group, so political parties will pay special attention to them.

In other words, expect several policies of the next few years to be based around whatever the forum-queens of a clusterfuck of bored housewives decide matters.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

wickles posted:

Stewart Lee: What's Wrong With Blasphemy? from 2006 is on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKxTTWOIce8

This is one of my favourite things. Even as a non religious person, I greatly admire the lovely clergy on there being chill and awesome.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

goatface posted:

Alan Moore is in Rastamouse?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately not, but I now have the urge to ask him to script an episode.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
This guy has series 2 of the Ricky Gervais/Stephen Merchant/Karl Pilkington, radio show podcast thing as a playlist without the music on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlackDollarBills#g/p

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

goatface posted:

Didnt someone out alan moore as being on the BNP lists that were leaked a year or two back. Could be completely wrong but i remember seeing him on there, could have easily been a different alan moore though.

Django
Dec 22, 2004

Django Grimehart
I asked in the UK thread in LAN but this has a bit of a bigger audience: I'm going to be on placement in Macclesfield for a couple of months as of next Monday. What's it like? Is there a nightlife? Nice place? General questions really.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
Episode 3 of Outcasts last night. Seemed to me to be an improvement, stuff happened, someone died and there was general panic. It is still fairly slow but I kinda like that.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Anyone been watching Marchlands? It's been pretty good so far, no exactly the Wire, but better than the usual ITV crap.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

LE0N posted:

Didnt someone out alan moore as being on the BNP lists that were leaked a year or two back. Could be completely wrong but i remember seeing him on there, could have easily been a different alan moore though.

I wouldn't think so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKfF-nxjDi0&

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
I am officially enjoying Outcasts. It is fun to shout at the television to try and warn characters that Daniel Meade is a poo poo. I am a man of simple pleasures.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs

Brown Moses posted:

Anyone been watching Marchlands? It's been pretty good so far, no exactly the Wire, but better than the usual ITV crap.

Yeah, I've been enjoying it so far but they'd better not screw the end up like so many other ITV dramas.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Padje posted:

I wouldn't think so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKfF-nxjDi0&

Also that magazine he published with the two butterfly dudes kissing on the cover.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

BizarroAzrael posted:

Also that magazine he published with the two butterfly dudes kissing on the cover.

Those gay butterfly men were both white though, so not much can really be learned.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Integrated press, the worst press;

quote:

The launch of Richard Desmond's OK! TV show, a spin-off from his weekly celebrity magazine, on Channel 5 last night was heralded by a promotional extravaganza. Unsurprisingly, today's Daily Express and Daily Star – also owned by Desmond, lest we forget – continue the theme. Indeed, both feature pictures of the man himself alongside presenters Kate Walsh and Matt Johnson. However, their claim that the show "got off to a flying start" seems slightly out of step with the rest of the press – "colossally vapid" is the Guardian's conclusion.

quote:

OK! TV. It's neither: Channel 5's new show aims low and misses
The TV spin-off from Richard Desmond's celebrity magazine is colossally vapid

There are launches, soft launches and deliberately comprehensive exercises in expectation-lowering. Tonight's launch of Channel 5's OK! TV fell into the last category. The show it replaced, the justifiably maligned Live From Studio Five, was an inept mishmash that seemed to prove conclusively Channel 5 could not be trusted with another daily light entertainment show.

To make matters worse, the original host chose to extract herself from the show last week: Denise van Outen – narrator of The Only Way Is Essex and star of the forgotten 1999 Abba tribute album ABBAmania – apparently decided that OK! TV would be an unconscionable blot on her CV. There may have been worse portents of quality than this, but not many.

The show itself exists to answer a question that nobody has ever asked: what would OK! magazine be like if it was a Channel 5 television programme scheduled against One Man and His Campervan?

It turns out that the answer is a remedial-level One Show or, to be more precise, Live From Studio Five. Yes, there are a few differences between the old show and the new – the set is a different colour, for one. But it even has the same host as its predecessor, Kate Walsh.

Walsh got the job only three days ago, but she did the best with what she was given. This is either because she's a consummate professional, or because she's basically hosting the exact same show as she was a fortnight ago. It's hard to tell.

OK! TV technically counts towards Channel 5's news quota, so episode one was loaded with plenty of current affairs. This included the news that Helena Bonham Carter wore matching shoes to the Baftas and that Kate Middleton apparently might want to buy a new dress quite soon. Elsewhere Louis Walsh got to talk about his holiday (Miami, he read lots of books) and Jenson Button presented a report about Valentine's Day while doing a fairly convincing impression of a man awaiting the sweet release of death.

Obviously a teatime television show based on a celebrity magazine will never be Newsnight, but even judged against its peers, OK! TV is colossally vapid.

It is hard to know who it is aimed at. Actual people do not seem quite lowest common denominator enough. Animals? Sock puppets? Piles of dust? Either way, it doesn't bode well for Richard Desmond's next attempt to synergise his properties.

Things might improve with time. If they don't, Channel 5 should consider a name change for the show. It might be called OK! TV, but right now it barely qualifies as either.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

SeanBeansShako posted:

Caught Mad Dogs last night, It is going to be interesting to see how desperate things get for these unlucky middle aged men.

Well they're already in a Sky One original programme, so...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mickolution posted:

Well they're already in a Sky One original programme, so...

It got well over a million viewers, our highest rated show, apparently.
That may not sound like much but it's a lot on Pay TV.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Taear posted:

It got well over a million viewers, our highest rated show, apparently.
That may not sound like much but it's a lot on Pay TV.

I should hope so, the amount it was being advertised. My point was more that Sky have a fairly poor track record of making their own shows.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Take was a pretty good Sky One drama, helped by Tom Hardy's performance, his character is terrifying.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I quite enjoying it, despite the odd amount of man bum in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I still have the BNP membership list saved on this computer, so I had a look. There is an Alan Moore on it, but he lives somewhere different from the comic book guy Alan Moore. And also it's obvious from his work and things he's said that he's no BNP supporter.