Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

screenwritersblues posted:

I'm working on a mix of summery sounding stuff, mainly because of the fact that I'm freezing my rear end of here in New Jersey. What are some artists who have a summery feel or remind you of summer every time you hear them.

When I think of summer I think of hip-hop. Stuff like Binary Star, The Roots, De La, Tribe Called Quest, Souls of Mischief etc

If you want something different how about this from my very own country, New Zealand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9qrStMzZwo

Very nice summer video too. If you like that try out some Fat Freddy's Drop and Phoenix Foundation.

I also like to listen to a lot of chilled out electronic stuff in the summer too (it's summer right now in NZ :) ) so check out some of these.
Coyote - Too Hard (Aeroplane Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yRmRcn6xqY

Gypsy & The Cat - The Piper's Song (Aeroplane Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDh5pw_6K-k

Friendly Fires and Azari & III - Stay Here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hymGsXemBo4

The Glass - 4 4 Letter (Black Van Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeCp0zAbMrE

Hope some of this stuff is up your alley buddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

what sounds like The Red Planet collection?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
What are some rap artists that express musicality and/or emotion in their vocals? If you take away everything but the vocal track, you are still left with something that has a rhythm and isn't someone just mumbling or reciting lines.

I've never really listened to this genre before and am trying to get more into it (mainly via XM radio), but I can't stand Lil Wayne or 50 Cent's style. The Kanye song "All of the Lights" has pretty good background music, but I don't like Kanye's vocal style. I know he isn't the greatest, but Eminem's verse on the song he did with T.I. "All She Wrote" is close to what I'm looking for. It's something that can stand alone based on just the vocals. On the drive home yesterday, there was a Fu-Shnickens song playing on the 'classic' rap XM station. The main vocalist had a great sense of rhythm and timing, IMO. Or he may just be fast and nothing else. Only heard him once. :p

I don't care about the actual content of lyrics. I don't care about the background music. I hear the human voice as just another instrument and want a different sound than the ones I am used to from rock, metal, alt, folk, etc. But just hearing the spoken word doesn't do it for me.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 9, 2011

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

Kibner posted:

What are some rap artists that express musicality and/or emotion in their vocals? If you take away everything but the vocal track, you are still left with something that has a rhythm and isn't someone just mumbling or reciting lines.

I've never really listened to this genre before and am trying to get more into it (mainly via XM radio), but I can't stand Lil Wayne or 50 Cent's style. The Kanye song "All of the Lights" has pretty good background music, but I don't like Kanye's vocal style. I know he isn't the greatest, but Eminem's verse on the song he did with T.I. "All She Wrote" is close to what I'm looking for. It's something that can stand alone based on just the vocals. On the drive home yesterday, there was a Fu-Shnickens song playing on the 'classic' rap XM station. The main vocalist had a great sense of rhythm and timing, IMO.

I don't care about the actual content of lyrics. I don't care about the background music. I hear the human voice as just another instrument and want a different sound than the ones I am used to from rock, metal, alt, folk, etc. But just hearing the spoken word doesn't do it for me.

A. you have pointed out 3 songs that couldn't be more different
B. "the main vocalist"? got a line you can offer?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Threatis posted:

A. you have pointed out 3 songs that couldn't be more different
B. "the main vocalist"? got a line you can offer?

A. Yeah, I know they are all different, but I could listen to just the vocals without anything else. I don't mind just being given an artist name that is known for his vocal work. Then I can go look up a few songs and go from there. I just really don't have any idea where to start.

B. "True Fu-Schnick" was the song. I heard just the final 90 seconds or so of it on my way home yesterday. It was the one who went really fast. Only song I have heard from the group.

I listen to the three rap stations on XM because I can actually get the artist and song names from there. Unfortunately, the songs they play that I like are few and far between. The only album I own is The Chronic. I like most of the verses by Dre and a few by Snoop on there, though I would have to listen to it again to point out any specifics.

Thanks for the help, btw. e: I just realized that this line may be taken as sarcasm. It's not. I appreciate any suggestions anyone can give me.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 9, 2011

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Ewar Woowar posted:

I'd recommend Deaf Center
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdRUMqds5r8

Eluvium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_HG__6exOE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkD6O0K-kdg

If you want straight piano stuff then I recommend Gonzales' Solo Piano.

These are good and I love me some Gonzales. I'm a big fan of Brad Mehldau's solo stuff too so is there anything else you might be able to think of that is pretty close to that? I've heard a lot of Bill Evans and Keith Jarrett, but sometimes Jazz piano just really sucks and I'm not sure where to look for more Meldau/Gonzalesque stuff.

Amazon Review
Mar 3, 2009

1F YOU B3LI3V3 H4RD 3NOUGH 1N 1M4G1N4RY TH1NGS, TH4T M4K3S TH3M SL1GHTLY L3SS F4K3!
Anyone know any good 90s rave or jungle comps?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Amazon Review posted:

Rumble In The Jungle is the big one for that jungle, imo. As far as single-artist, you want Remarc and Bizzy B.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
This specific track is very moving to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQAm32r002I

I would love to find more music just like that. The mood I am looking for is "This whole situation is incredibly ominous and depressing, but, for some reason, with you, I feel invincible" but in that same eastern arrangement/sound.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

The complete releases of In The Red records, specifically Thee Oh Sees and Cheap Time

I'm pretty familiar with a lot of Garage Rock stuff, but I'm not a big fan of a lot of the stuff coming out of ITR these days (except Thee Oh Sees, Cheap Time and The Dirtbombs). I was just wondering if there were any bands I may have glossed over. Thanks, though. And gay til death I'll definitely look into the bands that you named that I'm not familiar with. I know I'm a few years late to a lot of this stuff, but I don't care, the music is just so loving catchy and fun to listen to.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Kibner posted:

Give Dessa and cLOUDDEAD a shot.

My own req: does anyone have something similarly "darkly funky" as the outro to Red Hot Chili Peppers' Sir Psycho Sexy?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What are really good '60s / '70s jazz albums?

I've taken to listening to Madlib's Shades of Blue while working recently, and I want to listen to jazz like the kind he samples / makes. (I have all of Madlib's jazz albums).

Bear in mind I have very little jazz, so the big names are still on the table, Coltrane, Davis, Powell. All stuff I want to get in to, just looking for good starting points.

Edit: More modern, Madlib-esque turntable jazz is good too.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 10, 2011

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Amazon Review posted:

shy fx put out a cd of anthems from the 90s

for old sets and mixes check out goldenerajungle.com

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

What are really good '60s / '70s jazz albums?

I've taken to listening to Madlib's Shades of Blue while working recently, and I want to listen to jazz like the kind he samples / makes. (I have all of Madlib's jazz albums).

Bear in mind I have very little jazz, so the big names are still on the table, Coltrane, Davis, Powell. All stuff I want to get in to, just looking for good starting points.

Edit: More modern, Madlib-esque turntable jazz is good too.
That's a REALLY broad request. When you say you have all Madlib's jazz albums, do you mean all the jazz albums he samples on Shades of Blue? If not, start with this compilation:
http://www.amazon.com/Untinted-Madlibs-Sources-Various-Artists/dp/B0000E6XKR

Then get the albums your favorite tracks are drawn from. If any sideman's playing strikes you, get that too. Etc etc etc.

Also while Bud Powell was technically still active in the sixties, he's more accurately categorized as of an earlier era.

Just sticking to Blue Note Records and stuff NOT sampled by madlib, you should also check out Jackie McLean's 60s stuff ("Let Freedom Ring", Destination Out, Demon's Dance, etc), Joe Henderson (Inner Urge,Mode For Joe, Page One), Lee Morgan (Sidewinder, Rumproller, Cooker), Herbie Nichols (Complete Blue Notes). Actually I'll just stop here. Google "top 100 jazz recordings" or something similar, find a list that got voted on and just start working your way through. There's too much and too many styles to encapsulate, but what I wrote ought to at least get you started.

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer
I just found First Aid Kit, which is a folk group consisting of 2 Swedish sisters. They have covered Fleet Foxes and I think have a similar sound, so imagine FF as young Swedish girls with beautiful voices. Anyway I would love to find something similar if anyone has any suggestions.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

rangergirl posted:

I just found First Aid Kit, which is a folk group consisting of 2 Swedish sisters. They have covered Fleet Foxes and I think have a similar sound, so imagine FF as young Swedish girls with beautiful voices. Anyway I would love to find something similar if anyone has any suggestions.

Julie Doiron. one of their songs also made me think of Nikaido Kazumi, but she often strays far from traditional folk.

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

i'm so glad i'm better than you are.
What kind of music is this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxkJ-cJxqdM

Who else should I listen to?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Giudecca posted:

It's like a mathy Jethro Tull.

Amazon Review
Mar 3, 2009

1F YOU B3LI3V3 H4RD 3NOUGH 1N 1M4G1N4RY TH1NGS, TH4T M4K3S TH3M SL1GHTLY L3SS F4K3!

kingcobweb posted:

Rumble In The Jungle is the big one for that jungle, imo. As far as single-artist, you want Remarc and Bizzy B.

Holy poo poo, this owns. Thanks man

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

Amazon Review posted:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Strictly-Underground-Compilation-II/release/185941

And everything in the related and on this label. Rave AND proto-jungle for ya.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Giudecca posted:

Not gonna attempt a genre label on that, but give Maps and Atlases a shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP7lenDpZ00

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

dailydares posted:

Looking for more stuff like The Exploding Hearts, Gentleman Jesse & His Men, Clorox Girls, The Marked Men, Carbonas, Beat Beat Beat, Customers, Mean Jeans, White Wires, The Wax Museums, The Hex Dispensers...

I'm gonna assume you've scoured the Dirtnap Records catalog considering you listed a bunch of their roster, but if you haven't.. you should.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

dailydares posted:

I'm pretty familiar with a lot of Garage Rock stuff, but I'm not a big fan of a lot of the stuff coming out of ITR these days (except Thee Oh Sees, Cheap Time and The Dirtbombs). I was just wondering if there were any bands I may have glossed over. Thanks, though. And gay til death I'll definitely look into the bands that you named that I'm not familiar with. I know I'm a few years late to a lot of this stuff, but I don't care, the music is just so loving catchy and fun to listen to.

The Hunches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-eryuzOP1Q

Mind Spiders
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbemrtJPSto

breaks
May 12, 2001

I am looking for more stuff like Found Out by Caribou or I Can't Feel by Matthew Dear or One Touch by LCD Soundsystem. What I like about these songs is the sort of dark, decently tempoed, slightly wonky, not too dense, techy popmusic.

I know that's awfully specific but I'd appreciate any bands, artists, or single tracks along these lines.

breaks fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 12, 2011

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

THE HUNCHES! That was the band I was trying to think of, yeah if you are still looking for recs, listen to them

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
anyone got bands that sound like
Deerhoof
Grouper
The Blow
?

Does anyone have a good guide into getting into old singers in the vein of Edith Piaf?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

snucks posted:

Deerhoof?

Good loving luck. These guys are like my favorite band, but I've never found anyone quite like them. So I guess I'll second this request :)

on second thought, I suppose 31knots and UUVVWWZ are the closest bands I can think of to (newer) Deerhoof but really they're not THAT much alike.

crashnburn254
Jul 14, 2009

:ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat:

snucks posted:

The Blow
?

Well there is YACHT, although you probably already know of them if you know The Blow.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Someone a while back recommended me the song "To France" by Mike Oldfield, and I love it a lot. I also like his other hit Moonlight Shadow (which I had heard before)

Both of those songs have sort of a melodic "folksy" feel to them. I have listened to some of his other songs just by going through his singles discography on wikipedia and they don't really all have that feel. I was wondering if anyone familiar with his discography could give me a list of more songs he did in that style... I figure he probably didn't just do the two.

Also, if there are any other songs in that style by any other bands, I would appreciate it. I really like the melody of both of them, so I'm craving more.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
You know that feeling, when you're madly, insanely in love with someone? They're all you want to think about, and every time you do, your stomach turns into a seaman and knots itself irreversibly.

Recommend me some music that evoke this feeling.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

gay til death posted:

THE HUNCHES! That was the band I was trying to think of, yeah if you are still looking for recs, listen to them

one of the best loud guitar bands I've heard in the last year thanks to this interview: http://terminal-boredom.com/larsvshunches.html

Nice to know someone else here likes them. I'm checking out some of the newer bands you mentioned + Dirtnap records (haven't listened to anything on that label for 5 years at least! used to love the Briefs)

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I have to write a lot of lab reports, and I want some chill electronic music to listen to whilst doing so. I have the following on rotation currently:
Benga - Diary of an Afro Warrior
Soul Jazz Records - The Box of Dub
Bassnectar - Mesmerizing the Ultra & Diverse Systems of Throb

I like Infected Mushroom, too, but most of it is too distracting and I don't write well if the music is too obtrusive. I've been getting into dubstep lately but I'm open to all types of your crazy electronic genres.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Eight Is Legend posted:

You know that feeling, when you're madly, insanely in love with someone? They're all you want to think about, and every time you do, your stomach turns into a seaman and knots itself irreversibly.

Eels are great for this, pretty much everything on Hombre Lobo is a good choice (it IS subtitled "12 songs of desire" for a good reason). In particular, "All the Beautiful Things", "The Look You Gave That Guy" and "Ordinary Man"

I've always been partial to of Montreal's Bedside Drama too, and oft overlooked album of theirs, but fits that bill pretty well, especially "The Hollow Room" and "Sing You A Love Song".

Although I don't know if you're going for songs about being in love or songs about wanting love, but these fit the latter.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

Ben Folds- The Luckiest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz7R5y8CQRE

I don't know if it is the type of music you were talking about but in my opinion it's probably the song that was the epitome of that very feeling for me at one time.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Looking for something similar to Vibracathedral Orchestra, either their influences (checked out Third Ear Band) or contemporaries. Improvisational raga or whatever that sort of thing is called.

Also looking to get into electroacoustic improv, since its so huge maybe recommend me a "canon" release and a newer release that's very good.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

disporak posted:

one of the best loud guitar bands I've heard in the last year thanks to this interview: http://terminal-boredom.com/larsvshunches.html

Nice to know someone else here likes them. I'm checking out some of the newer bands you mentioned + Dirtnap records (haven't listened to anything on that label for 5 years at least! used to love the Briefs)
Hunches are great. Can I throw in Brimstone Howl? They're doing the echoey thing that a lot of so-called garage bands are doing now but the attitude is just right

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
I've really taken a liking to this song lately: Don't Be Afraid. It's from the Metal Gear Solid 3 soundtrack, it's the tune that plays near the end of the game when Snake and Eva are by the fireplace. :pervert:

Anyways, I'm finding that I really, really like the style of music and singing on this track, and I want to hear more stuff like this. I'm pretty sure it's jazz, specifically cool jazz, but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend something similar in sound to this song. Thanks!

A Soothing Lacuna
Aug 12, 2010

by Fistgrrl

gay til death posted:

Looking for something similar to Vibracathedral Orchestra, either their influences (checked out Third Ear Band) or contemporaries. Improvisational raga or whatever that sort of thing is called.

lot of people lump Sunroof! into the same catagory; matthew bower (who is Sunroof!) has played with VCO. from there, it's a short walk into his other projects, which include Total and Skullflower. you might also dig Pelt, which was jack rose's band. bower also has a band called Hototogisu with marcia bassett from double leopards.

you've got a long road ahead of you. there's a pool of maybe 50 people, and each one has a project with another one. each one has a different name for each album. each album has come out in a run of 17 copies. EACH ONE IS COMPLETELY NECESSARY AND NO-ONE WILL TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY IF YOU DON'T HAVE EACH ONE.

A Soothing Lacuna fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 15, 2011

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

A Soothing Lacuna posted:

lot of people lump Sunroof! into the same catagory; matthew bower (who is Sunroof!) has played with VCO. from there, it's a short walk into his other projects, which include Total and Skullflower. you might also dig Pelt, which was jack rose's band. bower also has a band called Hototogisu with marcia bassett from double leopards.

you've got a long road ahead of you. there's a pool of maybe 50 people, and each one has a project with another one. each one has a different name for each album. each album has come out in a run of 17 copies. EACH ONE IS COMPLETELY NECESSARY AND NO-ONE WILL TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY IF YOU DON'T HAVE EACH ONE.

Yeah I got to Vibracathedral Orchestra from Total, I think at least. I get that whole mess of mid to late 80s industrial tape culture bands all mixed up. Might as well explore around that group of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Music i loving love lately includes Midlake's latest album The Courage of Others, Yeasayer, Little Dragon, The Suburbs by Arcade Fire, all of Faunts' stuff, and the new Cut Copy album Zonoscope.

I'm on a new band bender at the moment, so does anyone have any good recommendations from the above? I'm trying to think of common elements that may be helpful. They all seem to have a sort of retro vibe about them, but they range from very organic/acoustic stuff that Midlake does to electronic stuff like Faunts and Cut Copy. They also are pretty much very harmonic and warm sounds. Ugh, I dunno how describe music. But all of the above has been very pleasing for me.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 16, 2011