Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

I don't remember registering an account, but apparently I did. Is there any way I can get my password? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Ludwig von Beefoven posted:

I don't remember registering an account, but apparently I did. Is there any way I can get my password? :ohdear:

Sadly no, since the passwords can't be decrypted and Jonnty was too lazy to write a 'forgot password?' system. I can delete your account (0 dongs added, 0 uploads) which should allow you to re-register. I'm not sure if it's been tried before, but nothing to lose. Gimme a shout if you want to do it.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Farquar posted:

It's because people don't remember to vote unless they really like or really hate the song. Those are the only times I remember to at least.

Lack of emoticons on the playlist. Nothing encourages people to vote like watching that little smiley dude reflect the score, going from :rock: -> :dance: -> :geno: -> :cry: -> :fuckoff:

Helldesk posted:

On v.1 there was a desktop application just for voting. V.2 has the API key support required by third party programs, but does anything other than socks the bot make use of it yet?

Early in development I had a Win Vista/7 desktop gadget that could play the stream and had some rudimentary support for voting. I've no idea if I still have the source for it, and to be honest it probably isn't worth looking for. HTML/Javascript aren't my thing and it most likely doesn't work with the current API.

I'm in the mood for learning something new. Adobe Air seems to be an option for cross-platform stuff; I don't really want to limit it to Windows-only but I haven't been a fan of any Air apps I've used so far. Anyone know a decent alternative?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Doctor Malaver posted:

Why would they since voting has no effect on anything?
I like voting :f5:

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
Voting is important because statistics

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Look what GWBBQ has done:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382250&pagenumber=33#post388140345

An all new angle on the "No you shut the gently caress up, Dad!" clip.... some muffled audio from an open mic enhanced that we've never heard before.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

MisterLizard posted:

Lack of emoticons on the playlist. Nothing encourages people to vote like watching that little smiley dude reflect the score, going from :rock: -> :dance: -> :geno: -> :cry: -> :fuckoff:

If i remember correctly, it was:
:rock: -> :dance: -> :geno: -> :gonk: -> :cry: -> :suicide:

However there may have been some special emotes for vote-locked songs.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mastersord posted:

If i remember correctly, it was:
:rock: -> :dance: -> :geno: -> :gonk: -> :cry: -> :suicide:

However there may have been some special emotes for vote-locked songs.

There were several different iterations of the voticon list, and a few different special icons for certain songs too.

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug

MisterLizard posted:

Sadly no, since the passwords can't be decrypted and Jonnty was too lazy to write a 'forgot password?' system. I can delete your account (0 dongs added, 0 uploads) which should allow you to re-register. I'm not sure if it's been tried before, but nothing to lose. Gimme a shout if you want to do it.

What? You can't recover a password, but you can easily change it if you're an admin

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes
I started listening tonight and wow. Pretty sweet operation you guys have going on. I am always up for listening to some new stuff. Thanks!

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

You have summoned me o master, what is your wish?
Funky emoticons for a visible effect.

Armageddon
May 20, 2001
whoa, I'm just signing up, about to upload Arcade Fire... just as an Arcade Fire song starts to play :cool:

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Armageddon posted:

whoa, I'm just signing up, about to upload Arcade Fire... just as an Arcade Fire song starts to play :cool:
And lo, the voice of God spoke from the heavens and said, "SEARCH BEFORE UPLOADING". Trust me, whatever you were planning on uploading, we probably have it.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
The GBS FM motto might as well be "Search first, SEARCH THE gently caress FIRST," to paraphrase PhoolCat.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Nihiliste posted:

The GBS FM motto might as well be "Search first, SEARCH THE gently caress FIRST," to paraphrase PhoolCat.

It isn't?

This can't be iterated enough. Whatever band you're into, someone on the station has most likely heard of it (and added some, but possibly not all interesting tracks).

So I heard you say, "ah! But what about my neighborhood band? They're totally awesome and played O'Malley's once and there was a dude from a label there and he said yeah you guys are cool and all".

No.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Incoherence posted:

And lo, the voice of God spoke from the heavens and said, "SEARCH BEFORE UPLOADING". Trust me, whatever you were planning on uploading, we probably have it.

We even have homemade Final Fantasy 7 operatics for gently caress's sake.

Donkey Darko
Aug 13, 2007

I do not lust for blood or death. I prepare for the warrior's call.
And if it's Arcade Fire, or any indie/hipster/alt music, chances are it's been covered. I've personally uploaded 800 tracks from various Pitchfork darlings.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Default Settings posted:

Funky emoticons for a visible effect.
You didn't summon me, but ok: :quagmire: :jiggled:

Kaiho posted:

So I heard you say, "ah! But what about my neighborhood band? They're totally awesome and played O'Malley's once and there was a dude from a label there and he said yeah you guys are cool and all".

No.
As long as the audio quality is good, I say go for it.

As long as it isn't a cover of "Don't Stop Believin'"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

You didn't summon me, but ok: :quagmire: :jiggled:

As long as the audio quality is good, I say go for it.

As long as it isn't a cover of "Don't Stop Believin'"

More covers of "Don't Stop Believin'", please. It's a great song.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do not summon the Great Beast.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Kaiho posted:

It isn't?

This can't be iterated enough. Whatever band you're into, someone on the station has most likely heard of it (and added some, but possibly not all interesting tracks).

No.

What do you mean "no"? I've uploaded a lot of good local music, which gets good generally good votes. I'd love to hear local music from other parts of the country too.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Farquar posted:

What do you mean "no"? I've uploaded a lot of good local music, which gets good generally good votes. I'd love to hear local music from other parts of the country too.

I think he meant "No, you still have to search."

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Fuschia tude posted:

I think he meant "No, you still have to search."

Pfft, you're probably right, but no question was asked that would make a negative response imply searching. It should have ended with a "Yes." :rant:

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Jerry Cotton posted:

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/troll/troll4.wav

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uhh... so it's a bad song that nobody can genuinely prefer over the utter poo poo (just my opinion) that most of the songs I've heard on GBS FM are, just because it's massively popular now? Is that what your saying? (No, I've never watched Glee.)

The only reason, by the way, that I listen to GBS FM at all is that every once in a while there's one or two great tracks that I've never heard before and probably never would have heard elsewhere.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Jerry Cotton posted:

Uhh... so it's a bad song that nobody can genuinely prefer over the utter poo poo (just my opinion) that most of the songs I've heard on GBS FM are, just because it's massively popular now? Is that what your saying? (No, I've never watched Glee.)
No man, I'm saying welcome, stay awhile, and add some Journey!

That soundbite is just from Troll, in the scene where the main troll welcomes the midget Lionel Richie elf to his kingdom.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Peachstapler posted:

No man, I'm saying welcome, stay awhile, and add some Journey!

That soundbite is just from Troll, in the scene where the main troll welcomes the midget Lionel Richie elf to his kingdom.

Oh, I thought you were implying I'm a troll. Sorry.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh, I thought you were implying I'm a troll. Sorry.
That's okay, after I posted that realized I should be cutting down on the times I drop quotes from obscure '80s horror flicks. :)

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Now look what you did.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Incoherence posted:

...unless it's a few days ago and you were looking for most of the Bowie/Eno "Berlin Trilogy." But NOW, yeah.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Jerry Cotton posted:

Uhh... so it's a bad song that nobody can genuinely prefer over the utter poo poo (just my opinion) that most of the songs I've heard on GBS FM are

Yes, pretty much.

quote:

just because it's massively popular now?

No. GBS-FM and DSB have a long history.

Also, it's an overplayed, insipid, terrible song that should be reserved only for singalongs in bars after everyone present has had at least six drinks. Most of what gets played on GBS-FM is terrible, but for other reasons.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Discount Viscount posted:

...unless it's a few days ago and you were looking for most of the Bowie/Eno "Berlin Trilogy." But NOW, yeah.

Or Pepe Deluxé. I see no Pepe Deluxé and especially no Salami Fever. And only one Opel Bastards track. What is this madness? (Or do I just suck at searching...) EDIT: Seems to me there's not much recent electronicky pop at all. I'm amazed that there's no Pluxus, for instance - don't real nerds upload stuff to GBS FM?

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 16, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Also, it's an overplayed, insipid, terrible song that should be reserved only for singalongs in bars after everyone present has had at least six drinks. Most of what gets played on GBS-FM is terrible, but for other reasons.

I'd say most of it's terrible for exactly the same reasons but that doesn't really bother me much. The only tracks that I wish (in vain, obviously) wouldn't play are the ones where it's just bläksatans growling, or droning noise, or Limp Bizkit. I listen to GBS FM at work and most terrible songs are useful in that they help keep me awake but stuff like that has an opposite effect.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'd say most of it's terrible for exactly the same reasons but that doesn't really bother me much. The only tracks that I wish (in vain, obviously) wouldn't play are the ones where it's just bläksatans growling, or droning noise, or Limp Bizkit. I listen to GBS FM at work and most terrible songs are useful in that they help keep me awake but stuff like that has an opposite effect.

Quoting this for when, a year from now, you post again saying how much [some music*] has really grown on you and you really like it now.

*obviously not Limp Bizkit

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
I want to make sure everyone has seen this. Our very own Peachstapler, a man of considerable artistic talent, has sculpted this baller assed bust of Lionel Ritchie. Makes you want to add some Lionel Ritchie to the playlist, no?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes
drat, well I know what I'm adding next. That would make a lovely centerpiece to a dinner table. How long did that take to do?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

Quoting this for when, a year from now, you post again saying how much [some music*] has really grown on you and you really like it now.
You can't post something like that without mentioning Y. Bhekhirst.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Mucho thanks for the mention, Beelz. :burger::hf::burger:

bushes posted:

drat, well I know what I'm adding next. That would make a lovely centerpiece to a dinner table. How long did that take to do?
Took about a week to get most of it done. The hair was the most difficult part and I got sick of fussing with it after awhile. The bust is life-size so it weighs roughly 80 pounds.

For inspiration, I put the "Hello" video on loop for several hours while I marathon-sculpted. I can now sing the song and act out the video on command (and probably will always be able to).

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Beelzebozo posted:

I want to make sure everyone has seen this. Our very own Peachstapler, a man of considerable artistic talent, has sculpted this baller assed bust of Lionel Ritchie. Makes you want to add some Lionel Ritchie to the playlist, no?

That hair reminded me of Chia pets.

You know what you need to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Jerry Cotton posted:

bläksatans
Now that is a great word for my dictionary!

• Locked thread