Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

So i'm attending an MBS/MBS/SOM draft tonight, and I don't even know how to approach drafting that :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!
It's kind of funny to see people hating on Training Drone when they were excited by Bloodshot Trainee. Although since you'll be drafting MBS' relatively rich +X/+Y equipment before SOM, maybe the trainee will live his dreams more often in the new format :allears:

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

It's kind of funny to see people hating on Training Drone when they were excited by Bloodshot Trainee.

Define excited, and if you meant folks hatin' in the thread here do post where!

Bloodshot Trainee is at worst 2/3 for 4, at best repeatable, big removal. Training Drone is at worst completely dead card, at best mana-efficient hitter with good abilities. There's quite a difference between the two, I wouldn't make too much comparisons.

Edit:
I think I would want two good 2+ power equipment at minimum to want to run the Trainee. I picked it accordingly in triple Scars - never over something solid, usually late or mid from weak pack.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 10, 2011

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

frameset posted:

So i'm attending an MBS/MBS/SOM draft tonight, and I don't even know how to approach drafting that :psyduck:
Yeah, I did a triple MBS draft last night, and it was weird. There's a lot less creature removal for the RW decks, since you don't have blast, arc trail, arrest, etc. Infect is biased largely towards the big dudes. White is playable as an infect color (although not a great one). There is a lot of artifact removal, so having all bomb artifacts may not be the best strategy.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

frameset posted:

If you open up an infect bomb, try to force it. Flesh-Eater Imp counts as a bomb. If you don't, see if you can stay in it within the first four picks. Infect is the best archetype in the pseudoformat, hands down. If you can't manage to pick up enough infect creatures, and to kind of tie together the two topics of discussion on this page, try drafting as many quality equipment/living weapons as possible- you'll be able to capitalize on the couple of Training Drones you pick up thirteenth/fourteenth.

Along those lines, I feel as if R/W heavy equipment is a viable draft strategy in MBS/SOM/SOM. With so many good equipment in Besieged, as well as living weapons serving as both bodies and equips, it's easier than ever to get maximum value out of cards such as Sunspear Shikari, Bloodshot Trainee, Goblin Gaveleer, and Kemba. You do need two packs of Scars to pick up as many of these guys as possible, though, and as mentioned earlier, there's a disproportionate amount of artifact removal with two packs of Besieged, so try at your own risk there.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Lunael posted:

Define excited, and if you meant folks hatin' in the thread here do post where!

Bloodshot Trainee is at worst 2/3 for 4, at best repeatable, big removal. Training Drone is at worst completely dead card, at best mana-efficient hitter with good abilities. There's quite a difference between the two, I wouldn't make too much comparisons.

Yeah, if you do draw your equipment, Training Drone is "2 mana discount on my generic fatty! :woop:", while Bloodshot Trainee is a retardedly powerful effect that can singlehandedly win most games.

And of course, if you don't draw your equipment, then Training Drone sits there looking stupid, while Trainee is still an acceptable, if weak, dude.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!
On the other hand, Training Drone can be activated by any equipment rather than a relatively narrow range of it, and helps your artifact count for metalcraft even if he never gets online.

They aren't entirely comparable cards, because the you're right when you say that the Trainee's dream scenario is a lot more powerful than the Drone's. What the Drone could be is 1-2 extra Chrome Steeds in a metalcraft deck with enough good equipment (4 maybe, more only with Living Weapons). Chrome Steeds are pretty good and MBS has a lot of good equipment, so I think it's worth testing whether Training Drone can be a viable part of a metalcraft deck.

It just seems to me that people are (or have been) a lot more optimistic about the Trainee's scenario in SOMx3 just because it's more powerful, even though it was also a lot harder to assemble and less likely to go off than the Drone is.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:
The Dream for trainee is better than The Dream for the training drone, but like was already pointed out if you whiff on that dream scenario, the trainee can still do some work. Training Drone will just dumbly sit there waiting for an equip and can't even chump block for you, while Bloodshot Trainee can still get some decent damage in or at the very least stall out a big angry attacker.

A deactivated Drone is hardly better than an empty Necrogen Censer, while a stock Trainee is better yet. Sure, an equipped Drone is better than that, and there are plenty of decent ways of turning him on, but a Trainee is still the best scenario to actively engineer.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

frameset posted:

Any creature with 1 toughness is almost a dead card, there is a lot of removal that just blanks all those draws. The only 1 toughness creature I'm confident in taking early in the first pack is the infect mana-myr, because you'll almost always play it. (Also flayer husk, but that really isn't a 1/1 creature)

Blue bounce and aggro creatures such as the 2/1 that jumps and Serum Raker are fine dudes and drafting blue as an add-on to an aggressive strategy is just fine.

White infect is not open unless you see a mid-pack Priests of Norn. Green splashing white or black splashing white is much stronger. Infect in general is a "slower"/mid-range deck than would be thought of in triple SoM. Prioritize picking Seize the Initiative and other white combat tricks along with your white removal and power-boosting equipment.

A mid-pick Plaguemaw Beast for infect really forces you to pick up Mana-Myr because it is merely a dinosaur by itself without the dumb chumps to add counters with. Throne of Geth is a priority pick so set yourself up by getting the Ichor Wellsprings early and pray that you open one or two. Even without, it is a fine card to slot in for value.

Ogre Resistor is a fine dude for 4 mana, but otherwise your options for red creatures are not that great. Goblin Wardriver is a fine early pick, along with signal pest, because how slow the format works otherwise. "Kuldotha" Red is fine to work towards because other than very splashable kill-cards you're not getting much from MBS packs, and in SoM cards like Kuldotha Rebirth and Barrage Ogre and even Furnace Celebration will not be as valued.

Black is fairly shallow as well, don't be afraid to draft the non-infect creatures to slap a late-pick Phyresis on; even automatic 2-for-1 big infect creatures are pretty beastly.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I just won a SOM Swiss match with a flying 7/1 Vector Asp due to Painsmith and Flight Spellbomb. I'm in shock.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Pinwiz11 posted:

I just won a SOM Swiss match with a flying 7/1 Vector Asp due to Painsmith and Flight Spellbomb. I'm in shock.

I just used Liquimetal Coating, Shatter and Oxida Scrapmelter to kill a Skithryx that was going to swing for lethal the following turn :3:

This format is so full of weird interactions and blowouts from nowhere, I love it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'll repost this anecdote here since I posted it in the wrong thread:

So I just got back from doing a small, 4-3-1-1, all MBS draft with some friends. It was pretty hilarious. Basically none of them know how to draft very well which led to some hilarious stuff going on.

Pack 1 my rare was a Magnetic Mine, I ended up taking a Burn the Impure. It's okay that I had a garbage rare because two packs later, I got handed a Thopter Assembly. I opened all bad rares, but still ended up getting handed mid pick Contested War Zone, Blue Sun's Zenith, and Hellkite Igniter.

The whole thing was hilarious, I ended up with a red/white deck with 5 Leonin Skyhunters and 4 Blisterslick Shamans, tons of removal, and a bad curve.

Ended up losing once due to a preponderance of Glissa's Courier and second due to drawing nothing but Plains with an opening hand with Hellkite Igniter in it.

In my prize packs I got a Tezz and a Sword of Feast and Famine. :toot:

It was a good night.

However, I think I still built this wrong. I had a fuckton of double color cost stuff without any kind of fixing and two Kuldotha Flamefiends without enough artifacts to reliably sacrifice, and a couple other weird things. I skipped a bunch of okay artifacts picking okay red and white stuff, but I think I still had a decent pool. If I post my cards will you guys tell me how I should have built? We're going to doing triple MBS regularly for a while, are there any other good tips?

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread.

Imaduck fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 14, 2011

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

So I played a MBS/MBS/SoM draft, got a good amount of equipment (including the 2 cost 2 equip +1/+1 artifact maker dude) and dudes expecting to get some sunchasers in the next pack.

Zero. I saw Zero sunchasers in the draft. I've seen them at 13th pick before.

gently caress.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

You mean Sunspear Shikari, not Auriok Sunchaser, right?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Gerund posted:

So I played a MBS/MBS/SoM draft, got a good amount of equipment (including the 2 cost 2 equip +1/+1 artifact maker dude) and dudes expecting to get some sunchasers in the next pack.

Zero. I saw Zero sunchasers in the draft. I've seen them at 13th pick before.

gently caress.

The rest of the drafters were trying to save you from yourself so you don't play terrible cards.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty proud of the BG infect I drafted (MBS/MBS/SOM) last night. Peep this poo poo!

Inkmoth Nexus
Viridan Corrupter
Lead the STampede
Corpse Cur
2x Rot Wolfs
3x Morbid Plunders (!!!)
Heavy Arbalest
Phyrexian Vatmother
Core Prowler
Flesh Eater Imp

and a whole bunch of other supplementary stuff like equips, Virulent and whatnot. No idea how I got 3 Morbid Plunders and a Corpse Cur, but I did. Man winning in drafts feels good :smug:

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
So weird. I just played in an M11 swiss on mtgo, drafted a red/white deck running:

Cyclops Gladiator
Day of Judgment
Act of Treason
Fling
Chandra's Spitfire
Fire Servant
Goblin Piker
Ember Hauler
Goblin Tunnelerx2
Goblin Chieftain
Lightning Bolt
Fireball
TRIPLE Vulshok Berserker
etc etc

So in the last round my opponent has me on the ropes. I'm tapped out, he's got a blinding mage in play with two White Knights, an Armored Cancrix, Phantom Beast, Stormfront Pegasus, taps down my enchanted 5/4 flying berserker, swings in with everything but Phantom Beast. If he'd swung with Phantom Beast I'd have died rather than survived with 2 life. I act of treasoned his phantom beast, swung in with gladiator to kill his pegasus, also swung with arc runner and my 5/4 vulshok berserker for exactly lethal.

I had no mana untapped, what exactly did he expect out of me for zero cost instant speed combat tricks? o.O

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Revitalized posted:

I'm pretty proud of the BG infect I drafted (MBS/MBS/SOM) last night. Peep this poo poo!

Inkmoth Nexus
Viridan Corrupter
Lead the STampede
Corpse Cur
2x Rot Wolfs
3x Morbid Plunders (!!!)
Heavy Arbalest
Phyrexian Vatmother
Core Prowler
Flesh Eater Imp

and a whole bunch of other supplementary stuff like equips, Virulent and whatnot. No idea how I got 3 Morbid Plunders and a Corpse Cur, but I did. Man winning in drafts feels good :smug:

It shouldn't be hard to get multiple Plunders because while it's good, playing 1 is very good, playing 2 isn't that good, and there's no reason to play 3. You have to have creatures in your graveyard to get value from it and if you draw it early it does nothing.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Ultima66 posted:

It shouldn't be hard to get multiple Plunders because while it's good, playing 1 is very good, playing 2 isn't that good, and there's no reason to play 3. You have to have creatures in your graveyard to get value from it and if you draw it early it does nothing.

It lets me freely trade creatures or wear down opposing creatures with my infect. They come straight back.

I've gotten to use Corpse Cur and two morbids in one game. The other guy ended up running of gas first.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Nur_Neerg posted:

So in the last round my opponent has me on the ropes. I'm tapped out, he's got a blinding mage in play with two White Knights, an Armored Cancrix, Phantom Beast, Stormfront Pegasus, taps down my enchanted 5/4 flying berserker, swings in with everything but Phantom Beast. If he'd swung with Phantom Beast I'd have died rather than survived with 2 life. I act of treasoned his phantom beast, swung in with gladiator to kill his pegasus, also swung with arc runner and my 5/4 vulshok berserker for exactly lethal.

I had no mana untapped, what exactly did he expect out of me for zero cost instant speed combat tricks? o.O

This is why there is such a thing as being too careful.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Nur_Neerg posted:

Yeah, I've done this before. Sometimes when you're playing a really defensive game, you miss the obvious alpha strike for lethal. Or he may have just miscalculated the damage. Or he was just overconfident with his board position, and didn't even think about it.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Lunael posted:

You mean Sunspear Shikari, not Auriok Sunchaser, right?

Sunchaser, I really needed the flyers to get in with Copper Carapace and such. Ah well, not the worst in the world.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Revitalized posted:

It lets me freely trade creatures or wear down opposing creatures with my infect. They come straight back.

I've gotten to use Corpse Cur and two morbids in one game. The other guy ended up running of gas first.

Yes but playing 2 Morbids does that too without having as many dead draws. The range you want is 1 Morbid for a 12-14 creature deck, and 2 for 15 or more, there's not really a reason to play 3. The same logic applies to equipment. Darksteel Axe is really good, but if your deck only has 12 creatures and you have 2 bomb rare equipment, you probably shouldn't play the Axe.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Imaduck posted:

Yeah, I've done this before. Sometimes when you're playing a really defensive game, you miss the obvious alpha strike for lethal. Or he may have just miscalculated the damage. Or he was just overconfident with his board position, and didn't even think about it.

Yeah, this just happens, quite often really. Both sides of table.

In one MTGO Alara-Conflux-Reborn draft we'd had tight battle for the control of the board in the game so far. I was currently clocking for win in a couple of turns, until opponent produces some threat I can't remember name of, which will kill me next turn unless I draw answer. I untap, draw Banefire, and proceed to remove the threat, giving me the edge again.

Only, opponent was, effectively tapped out or with empty hand, and at five life or so. I had plenty of mana available. Realizing what the gently caress I was doing kinda was good lesson in tunnel vision. Draw, THINK, then act, even if you make the God topdeck.

Nowadays, I mostly have the mind set where the default is "attack with everything" every turn. Not attacking with a creature is something that requires me to think a reason for it. And every bit counts - especially with a board with 1 power creatures, when starting magic again I was not properly thinking what goes to the red zone and what stays behind. Now I really try to think the absolute minimum I need to leave up to counter whatever opponent plays and cards I'm thinking I need to play around.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Apparently you will be able to enter the new MTGO MBS-SOM-SOM drafts without needing MBS product during the release events. Stock up while the SOM boosters are still cheap!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
The ultimate terrible defensive play. I was playing against a pyromancer deck with a jace at 13 on the board and I manage to run him out of steam and resolve a baneslayer with enough mana to equip sword of vengenace, swing at jace for 7. I go to write down my 7 life gain all smug thinking I've prevented myself from losing next turn, and I look at his life total and realize he was at 7. Round goes to time instead of me winning...I was sad.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

So, Mirrodin Besieged prerelease events starting tomorrow in MTGO. Did not enjoy paper prelease too much, and the prize booster payout is as lovely as ever, but probably doing Phyrexian prerelease at least as I tried out Mirran in the paper one.

Release events starting after next week's downtime, and those sealed events I'm waiting more keenly.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Wow, I just checked out the prize payouts. I'd heard people complaining about terrible prerelease rewards, but this is pretty ridiculous. 16-player Swiss with a 10-pack 1st place and then massive losses for everyone else? Sign me up!

That's really sad, I'd been looking forward to doing a big sealed thing.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

TheGame posted:

Wow, I just checked out the prize payouts. I'd heard people complaining about terrible prerelease rewards, but this is pretty ridiculous. 16-player Swiss with a 10-pack 1st place and then massive losses for everyone else? Sign me up!

That's really sad, I'd been looking forward to doing a big sealed thing.

Prerelease prizes are always this insanely bad. If you wanna play in them, you'll have to accept that each one will cost you a healthy chunk of tix that you have little to no chance of winning back.

Hold out for Release events, if you can; weirdly, Release events actually have a better payout than even regular events of the same type. Release weeks are the correct time to get your Limited on :dance:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Ashenai posted:

Release weeks are the correct time to get your Limited on :dance:

Yes. Plus now that they're allowing us to use three SOM to do a release draft you don't have to crack those MBS packs until absolutely necessary! $12 release drafts here I come!

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
20 Tickets for prerelease draft and it's swiss only? That sounds like hot garbage. I was pretty excited to play some MBS this weekend but I'm definitely going to hold off til next week.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Pool didn't make for easy deckbuilding I think:

http://i52.tinypic.com/14v2owo.jpg

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 17, 2011

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Did you end up going U/W? It seems like your quality cards are either U, W, or Artifact, and your objective is to stall till 5-6 mana and then start dropping Corrupted Consciences and Phyrexian Juggernauts.

I think I'd end up with something like the following. It's somewhat creature-light and you're depending on stuff like Steel Sabotage to be early disruption. I really wish I could run Ichor Wellsprings somehow, but there's no sacrifice outlet and we're not trying to get metalcraft.

Land: 18
2xInkmoth Nexus
9 Island
7 Plains

1cc: 2
1xFlayer Husk
Steel Sabotage

2cc: 5
Myr Sire
Perilous Myr
Wall of Tanglecord
Disperse
Oculus

3cc: 5
Arrest
Gore Vassal
2xPriests of Norn
Heavy Arbalest

4cc: 3
Core Prowler
Tine Shrike
Dross Ripper

5cc: 2
2x Corrupted Conscience

6cc: 4
3xPhyrexian Juggernaut
Mindslaver

Xcc: 1
Chimeric Mass

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

wodin posted:

Did you end up going U/W? It seems like your quality cards are either U, W, or Artifact, and your objective is to stall till 5-6 mana and then start dropping Corrupted Consciences and Phyrexian Juggernauts.

I think I'd end up with something like the following. It's somewhat creature-light and you're depending on stuff like Steel Sabotage to be early disruption. I really wish I could run Ichor Wellsprings somehow, but there's no sacrifice outlet and we're not trying to get metalcraft.

Land: 18
2xInkmoth Nexus
9 Island
7 Plains

1cc: 2
1xFlayer Husk
Steel Sabotage

2cc: 5
Myr Sire
Perilous Myr
Wall of Tanglecord
Disperse
Oculus

3cc: 5
Arrest
Gore Vassal
2xPriests of Norn
Heavy Arbalest

4cc: 3
Core Prowler
Tine Shrike
Dross Ripper

5cc: 2
2x Corrupted Conscience

6cc: 4
3xPhyrexian Juggernaut
Mindslaver

Xcc: 1
Chimeric Mass
This was my thinking too. Seems like a pretty interesting build. I wouldn't run Dross Ripper though; he's terrible.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Imaduck posted:

This was my thinking too. Seems like a pretty interesting build. I wouldn't run Dross Ripper though; he's terrible.

Yeah, my main concern was that when we're so bomb-dependent running Serum Rakers is just a recipe for disaster because we run it out and are then forced to trade it off or whatever and lose our awesome card, and Dross Ripper can at least stop the bleeding on the ground a little?

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

I'd certainly run the Dross Ripper over the Mindslaver or probably the 3rd Phyrexian Juggernaut. That curve is insanely high for not playing any myr, and I've found Mindslaver to be a pretty dead card in limited (probably because I always force Wx 2-drop fliers, but it still doesn't seem great).

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

What a loving disappointment of a tournament. R1 2-0 without trouble, R2 tight 1-2 loss, then both MTGO and my net connection decide to poo poo themselves during next round. I run into massive lag spike, restart MTGO and reboot my ADSL box (which took about minute), only the game takes fifteen minutes to initialize and once I'm back, I'm dropped and out.

Well, at least the Inkmoth Nexuses sold for 10 tix a pop.

Click here for the full 1054x580 image.

Was a hell of a lot harder building process than I'd have anticipated from MBS prerelease. Only red was straight out, I think I had all colour combinations from the rest on the drawing board, except for BW.

Blue was the powerhouse colour. Double Corrupted Conscience, Vedalken Anatomist and Steel Sabotage was what I would definitely be playing from it should I go blue, that's pretty insance power (well at least the three first cards are). Artifact pile had the obviously pretty sick triple Juggernaut which I think would all end up in the deck, given this was sealed. I could comfortably play 17 lands plus the manamyr with this setup.

The secondary colour was the hard one. Black had the double Morbid Plunder, but otherwise extremely disappointing with double Flensermites not exactly the powerhouse Infect creatures. Green I think was solid and I almost went UG, the three Infect creatures plus couple of combat tricks would've come from there. White would give me one grade A removal and three good, less colour intensive Infect bodies.

Ran into last minute on the deckbuilding and definitely didn't submit the best possible deck. This would probably be the build after the two and half round MTGO gave me today:

Click here for the full 1351x523 image.

Jesus Mortarpod was hard during round 2. Opponent drops it in every game he won, and he seemed to have infinite Oculus.dec to go with it which make using my Inkmoths pretty hard.

Edit:

Imaduck posted:

I wouldn't run Dross Ripper though; he's terrible.

I wouldn't call it terrible. Hilly is generally unexciting, but rarely flat out bad, and this has (expensive) pump too!

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 17, 2011

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
It's like I always say, it's not about what cards you open for your Sealed deck, it's all about how you build it, with suble decisions to be made about manabases and card synergies.

This is the proest way to do it. Take notes fellas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Lunael posted:

I wouldn't call [Dross Hopper] terrible. Hilly is generally unexciting, but rarely flat out bad, and this has (expensive) pump too!
Hm, actually you're right. For some reason I thought it cost 5 instead of 4. It's still not great, but when you need filler in the form of a colorless hill giant, that's not too bad.