Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SantaBla
Aug 27, 2009

Son Ryo posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, GaoGaiGar was anything but generic. Watch your terms, there.
The 7 Yuusha shows that came before it prove otherwise.

SantaBla fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
The Kamen Rider shows are part of a series too. Are any of them generic? No. It just makes them part of a series.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Revolver Bunker posted:

Speaking of the Gaiking Movie is that still being made or is it stuck in Development Hell? I haven't heard anything about it since the teaser trailer.
Back in may one of the producers said the script would be done around august and that it should get a 2012/2013 release.

SantaBla
Aug 27, 2009

Son Ryo posted:

The Kamen Rider shows are part of a series too. Are any of them generic? No. It just makes them part of a series.
To each his opinion, but I think Kamen Rider as a whole (much like super sentai) is generic. GaoGaiGar is a generic show. It has your usual monster of the week, just like the previous braves. The robot designs look the same with a few changes here and there. The story is mostly good vs evil.

You know what, if it's so easy to call Gaiking out for being generic, then I see it's really easy to do it for GGG as well.

That shouldn't be a deterrent to watching those shows. If they weren't generic, we probably wouldn't watch them.

SantaBla fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 2, 2011

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Son Ryo posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, GaoGaiGar was anything but generic. Watch your terms, there.

That's right. GaoGaiGar wasn't generic, it was...

Genesic :smug:

SantaBla posted:

GaoGaiGar is a generic show. It has your usual monster of the week, just like the previous braves. The robot designs look the same with a few changes here and there. The story is mostly good vs evil.

How far did you watch GGG? Because that's like the first half and it is pretty generic, but from then on it's a hell of a ride ending with Final GGG. And it's not just about good vs evil, it's about being so drat good that your goodness takes on a physical form and you beat the bloody poo poo our the evil guys.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 2, 2011

SantaBla
Aug 27, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

How far did you watch GGG? Because that's like the first half and it is pretty generic, but from then on it's a hell of a ride ending with Final GGG. And it's not just about good vs evil, it's about being so drat good that your goodness takes on a physical form and you beat the bloody poo poo our the evil guys.
Everything, including FINAL. I even watched the entirety of Fighbird, bleeh Katori... What a goon he was.

Gaiking was more than just good vs evil too. The Darius people weren't actually bad, they just had a crazy loli and a helpless father at the command of the nation.

My point here is that for you, generic means anything you don't like. For me, generic means stuff that's common and quite general with a neutral viewpoint.

EDIT: In fact, I hated FINAL for not being generic enough. it was too much of a departure, and it didn't strike me as being darker or more serious in tone. the tv series imo was a lot better at what it did.

SantaBla fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 2, 2011

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Mic Sounders, ZE ZIRTEEN

better respect, son :colbert:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rejoice.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

The way Mazinger's rocket punch gets shown from different angles in SRW Z2 gives me hope that they'll bring in Tessho Genda as a narrator, even if only to have the SONO NA WO scene.

...And if they really want me to love them forever, they'll get Banjo Ginga to narrate some of the VOTOMS levels too.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Infinitum posted:

Rejoice.

I swear to god I responded to this.

Media Blasters has no plans to bring the BD over, just the DVD. :waycool:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So, what's good/bad about Shin Mazinger? Should I clear out the time to watch it?

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Pureauthor posted:

So, what's good/bad about Shin Mazinger? Should I clear out the time to watch it?

It's a very good, quite serious (although still with humour when needed) version of the Mazinger story with lots of added plot, intrigue and complexity, by the guy responsible for G Gundam, Giant Robo and Tetsujin 28 (2004). I'd like to think that's enough to sell it to someone interested in super robots.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Pureauthor posted:

Bad:

there's no sequel so it's half-finished

Good:

everything else

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
If anyone's interested, I compiled a very rough list of episodes to watch for Combattler V, similar to the list of episodes for Mazinger Z that cuts out all the filler.

1-5, 18, 25-33 41, 43, 52-end

This contains episodes with plot and with monsters that were seen in SRW. However, I'm not sure about the first half of the series-- it may be missing some important episodes such as Hyouma's duel with Garuda and Hyouma's arms being injured; I just went with 1-5 since I don't remember the first half of the series very well. If anyone decides to watch this and sees that it needs more or fewer early episodes, please let me know and I'll change the list for the next time I post it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Shin Mazinger Episode 1:

What in the world did I just watch :psyduck:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Shin Mazinger Episode 1:

iirc, the first episode serves as a kind of preview of what you'll be seeing through the series. Episode 2 is the actual beginning.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Pureauthor posted:

Shin Mazinger Episode 1:

A taste of the best super robot show of the decade, that's what. :c00lbert:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Pureauthor posted:

Shin Mazinger Episode 1:

A clip show :haw:

SDShamshel
Jun 19, 2004

Picturing You Naked

Son Ryo posted:

If anyone's interested, I compiled a very rough list of episodes to watch for Combattler V, similar to the list of episodes for Mazinger Z that cuts out all the filler.

1-5, 18, 25-33 41, 43, 52-end

This contains episodes with plot and with monsters that were seen in SRW. However, I'm not sure about the first half of the series-- it may be missing some important episodes such as Hyouma's duel with Garuda and Hyouma's arms being injured; I just went with 1-5 since I don't remember the first half of the series very well. If anyone decides to watch this and sees that it needs more or fewer early episodes, please let me know and I'll change the list for the next time I post it.

I'm pretty sure this list misses the episodes you mentioned. So I would add the following episodes (and possibly even cut out some of the earlier ones):

6, 7, 11 Hyouma's arm injury
12 The Sword Fight
Maybe 13 Hyouma's would-be girlfriend, as it drives home the hatred Hyouma and Garuda have for each other
18 I'm not sure is necessary other than simply being SRW-relevant.
24 Chizuru's illness
And then the second half is whatever.

So that'd make it:
1-7, 11-13, 24-33, 41, 43, 52-end

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

SDShamshel posted:

I'm pretty sure this list misses the episodes you mentioned. So I would add the following episodes (and possibly even cut out some of the earlier ones):

6, 7, 11 Hyouma's arm injury
12 The Sword Fight
Maybe 13 Hyouma's would-be girlfriend, as it drives home the hatred Hyouma and Garuda have for each other
18 I'm not sure is necessary other than simply being SRW-relevant.
24 Chizuru's illness
And then the second half is whatever.

So that'd make it:
1-7, 11-13, 24-33, 41, 43, 52-end

Since the series is pretty much nothing but monster-of-the-week and I doubt anyone would be watching it for any reason other than being SRW-relevant, I'm gonna go ahead and leave 18 in there. But otherwise, these are great changes, thanks.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Son Ryo posted:

Since the series is pretty much nothing but monster-of-the-week and I doubt anyone would be watching it for any reason other than being SRW-relevant

I originally watched it because it was "SRW-relevant", but it's good enough to watch on its own. You know, if you can get past the "it's old anime hurr" hurdle. Though the second "season" isn't as good according to some people (it rules, Kerot rules).

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
You mean when they replace the somewhat interesting but now villains with awful, awful caricatures of them and it relies on the worst attempt at comedy that Japan has ever committed to celluloid? Yeah.

Anyway, I get that when you say Voltron everybody immediately thinks of the Golion guys, but I just finished Golion last night and started Dairugger XV today and I have to say, Dairugger is a better show. The animation is certainly more even and less derpy, and even when Dairugger Sword is a win button, it does more than fall from the sky and bisect the enemy with the outstretched sword and then call it a day. The greatest crime a robot show can commit, after all, is boring rear end robot action, and an awful lot of Golion episodes had fights that were clearly only inserted because it's a toy commercial so we have to have the robot do something.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If your the kind of person who reads internet threads about super robots then this is required watching:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=933NNS5A

The first episode of Chogattai Majutsu Ginguiser has been subbed!
The translation is kind of mediocre but it doesn't matter because it's GINGUISER and everyone needs to watch this poo poo right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I just watched this poo poo and it rules. Ginguiser's combination sequence is the best combination sequence ever. Why hasn't this ever appeared in a SRW game? They can hang out with Daiohja, and the amusement park scenes of Gaogaigar and Full Metal Panic could happen in their amusement park. So many possibilities for SRW integration :allears:

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm not sure what i'm looking at but I sure as hell will check it out!

Edit: Just watched....and i've been enchanted by all those colors.

Lepecard fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 17, 2011

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Shin Mazinger Arc 1:

Juzo Kabuto and Baron Ashura are both awesome. Kouji appears a bit on the slow side, however.

If an enemy's attacking you and you don't know what does what, just press random buttons or something! It can't be any worse than what's already happening to you.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Shin Mazinger Arc 1:

Juzo Kabuto and Baron Ashura are both awesome. Kouji appears a bit on the slow side, however.

If an enemy's attacking you and you don't know what does what, just press random buttons or something! It can't be any worse than what's already happening to you.

Yes, press random buttons and kill more innocent people in the process, this is a good idea.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
What? No, I'm sure that stuff he saw and was explicitly spelled out by the narrator was just Atami's ketchup factory being smashed up a bit. Isn't that what the subs said?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

You guys aren't remembering the sequence properly.

First, Kouji gets his poo poo beat in by the Mechabeast for a period of approximately five minutes without making any attempt to fight back beyond pulling on the chain of light. This is the part I was talking about and at that point innocent civilian deaths was the last thing on Kouji's mind. This is also the point at which Kouji complains that he doesn't have any idea what to do.

Then he tries the Rocket Punch at close range, which doesn't work. (It does provide an awesome ride for Gramps, though, so I'm not complaining.)

Then he tries melee, which is more effective, until Kouji notices the bloodketchup. Only then does he lock up.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 18, 2011

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Episode 40 of Xabungle up, 10 remaining, gettin' pumped!

As I mentioned in the Simulcast thread, my youngest brother (17) is as pumped as I am about Z2, so he had quite a few shows to marathon in order to get up to speed. He pretty much marathoned Change! Getter Robo, Shin Mazinger, Gurren Lagann, and the first quarter of VOTOMS. His general opinion on each was basically "Getter Robo rules so much, original Getter Team rules", "Shin Mazinger really needs a Great chapter", "loved Gurren Lagann more than Diebuster but less than Gunbuster, also Ideon and Getter Robo are still better", and "Chirico is badass".

He didn't care much for the team of Go, Kei, and Gai in Getter Robo, but he's now a bigger Ryouma and Hayato fan than he was when watching New Getter Robo (which was good since he already thought they were super badass in New). Out of all the stuff showing up in Z2, he's probably most excited about using the newer-ish Getter Team.

Out of all the other shows, he marathoned Shin Mazinger the quickest, as he wanted to know what would happen next right away. He's watched the few episodes of the original Mazinger Z anime, that translated manga, and the first couple of episodes of Great Mazinger, so he had a good idea of what to expect, but I guess it was more than he thought it'd be and got hooked fast. By the time he got to the end, and the Mycenae showed up after Dr. Hell's defeat, he was pretty anxious to see what would happen next, and I had to tell him that the Great chapter may or may not happen, which brought his high on the show down a bit. He sure does love Kanjite Knight and fighting-on-foot Baron Ashura, though.

I pretty much withheld Gurren Lagann from him for a while until he watched a bunch of other shows (the first couple of episodes of older shows, all of Zambot 3, Ideon, etc.), so by the time he got to Gurren Lagann, he could form a more balanced opinion on it. He liked the entirity of the first half more than the second, of which he only really liked the latter part of the second. And as much as he liked the last few episodes of the show, he still told me "the second Ideon movie felt more epic".

Still going through VOTOMS, but he likes how Chirico differs (is badass) from most other real robot protagonists (he's seen all three 0079 Gundam movies, Macross DYRL, and Macross Plus among others).

After it was all said and done, he said he wants to see a SRW game with Ideon, Change! Getter Robo, Gaogaigar FINAL, Gunbuster, Zeorymer, and Gurren Lagann's second half, and maybe Diebuster. He's becoming a proper Super Robot fan alright :c00lbert:

(Ginguiser gave him a headache, however :( )

EDIT: itt talk about how you successfully got a friend or family member hooked on mecha shows

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 22, 2011

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mercury Crusader posted:

EDIT: itt talk about how you successfully got a friend or family member hooked on mecha shows

I've been trying to get my sister into mecha for a while, since she does have a large manga collection that is largely full of drivel.

Early attempts with Voltes V proved rather unsuccessful, but a later attempt with Giant Robo went well.

The sound she made during Alberto's big reveal in the last episode was something between a school girl giggle and the way Hayato laughs when he's elbow deep in a dinosaurs stomach.

There's hope for her.

In other news, X Nebula, who recently subbed all of Dougram, has just released the first 12 episodes of Galient. It's not quite a super robot, but I thought people would be interested despite that.

http://xnebula.blogspot.com/

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Schwarzwald posted:

I've been trying to get my sister into mecha for a while, since she does have a large manga collection that is largely full of drivel.

Early attempts with Voltes V proved rather unsuccessful, but a later attempt with Giant Robo went well.

The sound she made during Alberto's big reveal in the last episode was something between a school girl giggle and the way Hayato laughs when he's elbow deep in a dinosaurs stomach.

There's hope for her.

In other news, X Nebula, who recently subbed all of Dougram, has just released the first 12 episodes of Galient. It's not quite a super robot, but I thought people would be interested despite that.

http://xnebula.blogspot.com/

I got a buddy to get into Eureka SeveN, but he only watches it when he hangs out over here and still isn't very interested in mecha as a whole. Probably because he's one of those guys who hates "old-looking animation." Hard to really show the classics to someone like that.

On the Galient note, so far so good. I'm up to episode 10, and it's been pretty solid so far. Directed by Ryosuke Takahashi of VOTOMS and Dougram fame, the first few episodes definitely give you a high-fantasy medieval but with robots feel, similar to Dunbine I suppose, but by episode 7-8, it definitely picks up a science fiction feel similar to that of the last arc of VOTOMS. I'm interested to see how well it can balance those two genres, if it can at all. I went in not knowing what to expect and have been pleasantly surprised so far. Dougram was pretty solid save for a couple missteps, and VOTOMS is a masterpiece. I've even been keeping up with another great Takahashi series, SPT Layzner, so I expect good things from Galient as well.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

I got my younger cousin hooked on SRW games, rather than mecha shows. I let him borrow my SRW OGs and Fire Emblem games, and he particularly took a shining to the robots.

After that, I exposed him to Gundam Unicorn (Would have done 0079 and Zeta, but he lives with his slightly crazy and religious parents), though he didn't care as much for that, since it wasn't super robot enough for his tastes.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Mercury Crusader posted:

I convinced a friend who previously thought the be all and end all of anime was Death Note, Berserk and Dragonball that there was more by showing him Macross Plus and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. He went on to watch almost all of UC Gundam, the rest of the Macross franchise, New Getter Robo, Shin Mazinger, Rahxephon, GaoGaiGar and Dougram so that was pretty awesome.

Also mecha seems to be one of the few types of anime my parents like watching, the shows they enjoyed the most were 0080, Macross Plus, Do You Remember Love and Crest of the Stars. My mom has also said that Ideon and Baldios sound interesting while my dad has said he'd like to watch Giant Robo and Tetsujin 28.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

SR GUADALUPE and I were dormmates last year, and I think I may have gotten him hooked onto mecha (and probably anime in general) with Gurren Lagann. After that he started watching every Gundam series and even got me to watch shows I hadn't before.

Now we get together and watch stuff all the time, it's been a great, if exceptionally nerdy college experience thus far.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

My method has always been the same. Most of my friends like RPGs, often strategy RPGs, so I just get them to play some of the SRW games. Then later, they will inevitably come to me demanding to know where to watch all these awesome shows, and I know I have a new convert.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you're a Mazinger fan, Crunchyroll has the Super Robot Chogokin figure of him for 33% off for premium members, a bit less for regular folks.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/deals/super-robot-chogokin-mazinger-z-357/?src=woot_email

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I didn't realize they sold toys on Crunchyroll.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Schwarzwald posted:

I didn't realize they sold toys on Crunchyroll.

It's a weird daily deal thing they do, some times it's DVDs, merch etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Since Gray Phantom's blog hasn't updated in a while, this went unnoticed by myself and several others I'm guessing, but The Skaro Hunting Society blog made mention that Gray Phantom has subbed UP TO EPISODE 7 OF DAIMOS! There's a bunch of MegaUpload links on that post. I'd link the page with the torrents on them here, but the list of stuff they have includes a couple of things that are currently licensed and being sold in the US.

• Locked thread