Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I think the Moto Droid's keyboard will make a software keyboard believer out of anyone (certainly worked for me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I'll hand it to Nokia on two points, though: Phone backup and Ovi Maps.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Maemo's multitasking and IM integration was phenomenal. Pretty much the only things I miss.

e: oh yeah, built in python interpreter was cool for my nerd cred.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

LiquidRain posted:

I'll hand it to Nokia on two points, though: Phone backup and Ovi Maps.

With a rooted Android phone, you have the most flexible backup system possible IMO, you can make a complete NAND backup (called a Nandroid) that is a perfect system image, or you can use titanium backup to backup individual apps and their data, including their links to the market, multiple versions of each app, etc. Very powerful. And Google Maps will reign supreme :colbert:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Call me when Google Maps stops downloading my map data in tiny chunks and has to re-download the data when I zoom in. Oh, and when I can tick a checkbox that says "North America" and then come back in 10 minutes and never have to worry about a data connection. Oh, and when I can also use turn-by-turn routing without having to be online either. :)

(and thanks for the heads up on Nandroid and Titanium, I do indeed have a rooted phone running Cyanogen 7 RC)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
Latest google maps added caching and vector-based maps so it mostly addresses your issues. Also The don't need a continuous connection when using turn by turn, just one at the start.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

That doesn't help me when I'm travelling. :) Having to stop at Starbucks stinks.

To boot - try zooming really fast in Google Maps 5. I'm using the vectored Google Maps and it has to load new data when you hit new zoom levels still. It's not as blatant and terrible as the old image based ones, but it's still there.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

big mean giraffe posted:

Latest google maps added caching and vector-based maps so it mostly addresses your issues. Also The don't need a continuous connection when using turn by turn, just one at the start.

What happens if you disobey the directions?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LiquidRain posted:

That doesn't help me when I'm travelling. :) Having to stop at Starbucks stinks.

To boot - try zooming really fast in Google Maps 5. I'm using the vectored Google Maps and it has to load new data when you hit new zoom levels still. It's not as blatant and terrible as the old image based ones, but it's still there.
Buy Navigon?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

LiquidRain posted:

It's possible it's just rendering the data at a closer level. I turned on airplane mode and zoomed all over my town and then over to Cleveland and was able to zoom in and out just fine.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Rastor posted:

Buy Navigon?
Last comment since this is not the Android App thread: No Canadian maps. Just the USA. Thanks for the suggestion though.

And you could be right, Giraffe. I'll have to tinker.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Win a trip to SXSW from Nokia
http://master.ideasproject.com/promotion.webui?id=5900

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

LiquidRain posted:

Oh, and when I can tick a checkbox that says "North America" and then come back in 10 minutes and never have to worry about a data connection.

How do I do that? Is it possible on any version for S60v5?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

eXXon posted:

The latest Ovi Maps supports downloading maps right on your phone. It's on the Ovi Store. If you can't get version 3.6, then I guess they've only released it for S^3 so far.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

eXXon posted:

If your device has ovi maps you need to install ovi suite. The current non-beta version of ovi maps (on the N8 at least) allows downloading maps directly without using ovi suite though.

e:f,b i guess

Septimus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 17, 2011

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

LiquidRain posted:

The latest Ovi Maps supports downloading maps right on your phone. It's on the Ovi Store. If you can't get version 3.6, then I guess they've only released it for S^3 so far.

3.06 is for older v5 touchscreens also. I just updated it on my 5800 which I only use as a navigator nowadays. It's pretty nifty. Dunno if it's in the store but you can download it straight from http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/ovi-maps-for-mobile-v3-06/download_and_installation

edit: After playing with the 5800 for a few moments I'm absolutely sure I'll never buy a phone without a hardware keyboard again. And not to buy a new phone before my N900 completely dies.

HUMAN FISH fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 18, 2011

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008

HUMAN FISH posted:

3.06 is for older v5 touchscreens also. I just updated it on my 5800 which I only use as a navigator nowadays. It's pretty nifty. Dunno if it's in the store but you can download it straight from http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/ovi-maps-for-mobile-v3-06/download_and_installation

edit: After playing with the 5800 for a few moments I'm absolutely sure I'll never buy a phone without a hardware keyboard again. And not to buy a new phone before my N900 completely dies.

To be fair, the iPhone keyboard is fantastic and I can type faster on it than on any hardware phone keyboard I've ever used. WP7 is almost as good. The Symbian keyboard is... usable? After a fashion, of course.

I ended up buying a N8 for lack of a decent alternative. At $350 new, it wasn't a terrible price. I do get a bit disgusted every time I see that T9 keypad though. Didn't they have a portrait QWERTY in S60v5 when it was released? I can't wait for the web and portrait qwerty update though, and for a device I've had less than a week that's not a good thing.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I actually find myself missing T9. Moreso than Swype. I don't even need to look at the screen when tapping out in T9 and I'm pretty wicked fast with it. The problem I had was switching between T9 and QWERTY of any kind on the N8. Drove me absolutely bonkers. For that flexibility alone I prefer Swype.

And yes, they did have portrait QWERTY on S60v5, at least on the older firmwares. Some devices that have received updates no longer have portrait QWERTY. That's right: Nokia REMOVED it. The Nokia Swype versions even supported/support portrait QWERTY Swype. In a comment on Beta Labs, the Swype integrator at Nokia remarked that he could not (emphasis: COULD. NOT.) get anyone to tell him why they were removing it.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

HUMAN FISH posted:

A resistive touchscreen from 2008 on Symbian isn't exactly the gold standard for touch screen keyboards, you know. In fact, it's probably one of the worst out there... even the Blackberry Storm has a better keyboard, and that thing was a joke.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

sethsez posted:

A resistive touchscreen from 2008 on Symbian isn't exactly the gold standard for touch screen keyboards, you know. In fact, it's probably one of the worst out there... even the Blackberry Storm has a better keyboard, and that thing was a joke.

I have never tried out a capacitive touchscreen, so I really don't know. I should probably go to a shop and play around with one.

Also:

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

JSW2 posted:

I ended up buying a N8 for lack of a decent alternative. At $350 new, it wasn't a terrible price.
Where'd you find it for that? I see $400 on Amazon.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I literally can't give my N82 away. I'm going to start asking my friends if they want a free 5 megapixel camera that can also make phone calls.

ngage lol

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My E72 has slowed to an unusable speed. The first few seconds after it boots it runs fine but then it just stops working altogether and locks up even while reading a text. I've tried pulling the battery for an extended time period but nothing seems to work. Did anyone else have this problem?

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

Peven Stan posted:

My E72 has slowed to an unusable speed. The first few seconds after it boots it runs fine but then it just stops working altogether and locks up even while reading a text. I've tried pulling the battery for an extended time period but nothing seems to work. Did anyone else have this problem?

Have you tried backing up your personal stuff and refreshing the firmware? If that doesn't work, then your hardware might be on the way out.

I'm on my way to Nokia House on Friday - I won a competition, and am apparently getting some sort of prize beyond lunch with recruiters.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

So apparently 1.1 should have given me Ovi Store back with a full wipe/reformat. It didn't.

And on top of that Nokia Canada/Flextronics refuses to reflash my phone because it's "not Canadian." I bought it from Newegg.ca.

gently caress Nokia. I'm done. I want to throw this thing against a wall.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

LiquidRain posted:

So apparently 1.1 should have given me Ovi Store back with a full wipe/reformat. It didn't.

And on top of that Nokia Canada/Flextronics refuses to reflash my phone because it's "not Canadian." I bought it from Newegg.ca.

That's what happened to me when the PR 1.1 update bricked my N900 using Nokia's own update software. I got lucky that I was only a couple of days outside of my return period and Newegg is awesome so they replaced it. Neither Nokia Canada nor Nokia USA would touch it.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
They've always been that way, but you figure that maybe a company in the midst of a transition that not a lot of people are happy about might be a little more forgiving, especially since I know LiquidRain talked to tech support beforehand and they told him flat out it was a known issue and he'd have to send it in to be reflashed.

"Hey guys we're losing ground and marketshare fast what do we do I know PISS OFF WHAT'S LEFT OF OUR FANBASE EVEN MORE!"

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

LiquidRain posted:

All the tutorials on how to restore it don't work?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Installing QT SDK/etc? Yup, all failed. As did reinstalling 1.1 using Ovi Suite or Software Updater to do a total reflash, resetting the phone.

I talked to Newegg. They said that I should have a 1 year manufacturer's warranty, and that's how it was sold. They're going to be arguing with Nokia about my phone. At this point I honestly hope Nokia still says "no" and Newegg will offer me a refund. I am now happy playing with my Desire Z.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 14, 2011

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
So Nokia House actually looked like a really great place to work. Sure, they're not at the top of the smartphone game any more, but it's still a big company with lots of interesting projects going on within it.

Oh, and they're sending me one of their new X3 touchscreen/keypad hybrids for my trouble. It's only an s40 device, but I supposed it's a good backup to have about.

By the way, you guys have lovely luck with Nokia over there. Here in Europe I think they have a 24 month warranty as standard and they're pretty liberal about it - when my n95 died they would have fixed it for free had it not been water-damaged, and that's without any sort of receipt as the phone hadn't been available for more than 24 months.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

LiquidRain posted:

Installing QT SDK/etc? Yup, all failed. As did reinstalling 1.1 using Ovi Suite or Software Updater to do a total reflash, resetting the phone.

I talked to Newegg. They said that I should have a 1 year manufacturer's warranty, and that's how it was sold. They're going to be arguing with Nokia about my phone. At this point I honestly hope Nokia still says "no" and Newegg will offer me a refund. I am now happy playing with my Desire Z.

Yup, it needs to go back to Nokia for repair. A friend in the USA will need to help you with this one. Before you do that though call 1-866-596-6542 (Nokia USA) and have the rep verify your warranty and send a UPS label to your contact in the USA.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Haha, the height of Irony: After waiting months to get the latest firmware update for my E72, it comes out now of all times.

052.005 is out for the north american E72, I'll run the update and post a trip report of how it killed my phone.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

HUMAN FISH posted:

I make a fair number of typing mistakes on my 5800 but I don't recall having a much better time with the hardware keyboards on similarly sized/priced phones, since most had buttons that were at most half the size and my thumb is already half of the width of the screen.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I bought a Rogers C3 because I wanted a cheap phone with a qwerty and after about an hour of searching I haven't been able to find a way to sync my google contacts to the phone. Am I hosed, or is there an awesome symbian app out there that will do this for me? I guess I could install outlook, sync google to outlook, then sync outlook to ovi?

As well, this doesn't work for me, I get the error message "data transfer not possible. check data connection." even when I'm connected to WLAN.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

cougar cub posted:

I bought a Rogers C3 because I wanted a cheap phone with a qwerty and after about an hour of searching I haven't been able to find a way to sync my google contacts to the phone. Am I hosed, or is there an awesome symbian app out there that will do this for me? I guess I could install outlook, sync google to outlook, then sync outlook to ovi?

As well, this doesn't work for me, I get the error message "data transfer not possible. check data connection." even when I'm connected to WLAN.

Does this help? I've not used s40 yet, but I will when my X3 gets here.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I guess you could sync google to outlook or whatever e-mail program you use then use Ovi Suite to sync your phone to the e-mail address book.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Thanks for the help guys. My preferred access point was already correct and I couldn't get Ovi to take my windows contacts for some reason. I'll just return the phone and spend a bit more money on an android device that I can WIFI sync out of the box.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

cougar cub posted:

Thanks for the help guys. My preferred access point was already correct and I couldn't get Ovi to take my windows contacts for some reason. I'll just return the phone and spend a bit more money on an android device that I can WIFI sync out of the box.
And if there was anyone left wondering why Nokia's turned to Windows Phone 7: There you go. :)

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

LiquidRain posted:

And if there was anyone left wondering why Nokia's turned to Windows Phone 7: There you go. :)

But that phone is S40, and Nokia are keeping S40. S40 != Symbian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Otik posted:

But that phone is S40, and Nokia are keeping S40. S40 != Symbian.

Yeah. There's stuff like GooSync that works fine in Symbian, or at least did when I tried it, but they don't seem to make a version for dumbphones.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 21, 2011

• Locked thread