Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
How long after enlisting can I get my ID card (Air Guard)?

I made the crossover from Army to AF last weekend and according to the recruiter "it will be a few weeks". Is there a way to find out when I can get it? Not having one makes base access a bitch and I made reservations at a Navy Lodge in April, so hopefully I can have it by then..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FooGoo posted:

How long after enlisting can I get my ID card (Air Guard)?

I made the crossover from Army to AF last weekend and according to the recruiter "it will be a few weeks". Is there a way to find out when I can get it? Not having one makes base access a bitch and I made reservations at a Navy Lodge in April, so hopefully I can have it by then..
They usually have a set day of the week they do ID cards. Personally I think everyone in MPF is a lazy rear end in a top hat, so I'd say just go in there whenever you feel like and start bothering people.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

About to get a B.S. in Physics and over the past two years I've been considering working with Intelligence collections, federal law enforcement, stuff like that. In looking at Intelligence jobs for various contractors, I noticed there was a list of MOS that were desirable. I looked up a few and they were all Warrant Officer positions, which if I read correctly requires prior enlistment. Now I'm not going to enlist, but I've actually played around with becoming an officer, except I'm not sure if there are any opportunities or anything for field work as an officer. I'd rather try to make my claim as a citizen than join the military only to "maybe" do what I want, but if I can do collections and field work as an officer I'd like that. Any thoughts? I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right questions.

Edit: Wasn't sure whether or not this went in quick questions or the stick'd ask about joining, but I figure one is as good as the other.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly

Crazyweasel posted:

About to get a B.S. in Physics and over the past two years I've been considering working with Intelligence collections, federal law enforcement, stuff like that. In looking at Intelligence jobs for various contractors, I noticed there was a list of MOS that were desirable. I looked up a few and they were all Warrant Officer positions, which if I read correctly requires prior enlistment. Now I'm not going to enlist, but I've actually played around with becoming an officer, except I'm not sure if there are any opportunities or anything for field work as an officer. I'd rather try to make my claim as a citizen than join the military only to "maybe" do what I want, but if I can do collections and field work as an officer I'd like that. Any thoughts? I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right questions.

Edit: Wasn't sure whether or not this went in quick questions or the stick'd ask about joining, but I figure one is as good as the other.

What were those MOSs you looked up? What branch? I'm sure if you tell us what they actually are people can shed some light on them.

Also, tell us what exactly you think "field work" is. What exactly do you want to do?

Edit: I read that again and it sounds like you are looking into joining the military to build your resume. That's generally a bad idea. People here are going to tell you to join the military only if you want to be in the military. Not to jump start your civilian career.

manic mike fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 13, 2011

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Crazyweasel posted:

You could always cut out the middle man and apply for the CIA's Directorate of Science and Technology. Your physics background won't hurt.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

manic mike posted:

What were those jobs you looked up? What branch, MOS, etc... I'm sure if you tell us what they actually are people can shed some light on them.

Also, tell us what exactly you think "field work" is. What exactly do you want to do?

Edit: I read that again and it sounds like you are looking into joining the military to build your resume. That's generally a bad idea. People here are going to tell you to join the military only if you want to be in the military. Not to jump start your civilian career.

35L/M, 351L/M, 180A, 18F, 35D/35E, 1N, 35F, 350F, 18F, 35A, 34A are what they listed. So like Intelligence collector/Analyst or Special Forces. I guess there is classified information there but if anyone has any insight it'd help.

I guess I expect field work to be actually doing the collection? I'm not sure how to explain it exactly, but it's why I listed federal law enforcement as an interest too. I'd like to actually be out in the field not stuck in an office compiling reports and presentations all the time. I'm not dumb enough to think I'm going to be some sort of super double covert operations and I know I'm gonna do desk work sometime, I just don't want it to be my job 24/7. God help me I'm referencing a Will Ferell movie, but it's kind of like the Other Guys. I don't know how accurate it is, but I'd rather be doing field work and reporting about it rather than doing code violations all day.

I'm not looking at the military to pad my resume. It's more that I know what I want to do and how to do that in a variety of ways in the private sector. I don't know anything about doing it in the military, especially as an officer. Chances are I'm going to like civilian life too much to give it up, but I figure I may as well explore all my options and I figure this is a good enough place as any to feel it out.

MML: Yeah, I'm currently feeling the "Apply to government agency, forget about it, maybe hear back maybe not" anxiety

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 13, 2011

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

In the army you have much more of an opportunity to collect intel as infantry than you do as intel.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
On the enlisted side, I'd say 35L is closest to what you want to do. Unfortunately, you can't enlist directly into that MOS. Your best bet would be to enlist as a 35M and then apply for 35L when you are promoted/qualified to be promoted to Sergeant. You'd end up with a background in interrogation and source operations, and then move into counterintelligence.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly

Crazyweasel posted:

I guess I expect field work to be actually doing the collection? I'm not sure how to explain it exactly, but it's why I listed federal law enforcement as an interest too. I'd like to actually be out in the field not stuck in an office compiling reports and presentations all the time. I'm not dumb enough to think I'm going to be some sort of super double covert operations and I know I'm gonna do desk work sometime, I just don't want it to be my job 24/7. God help me I'm referencing a Will Ferell movie, but it's kind of like the Other Guys. I don't know how accurate it is, but I'd rather be doing field work and reporting about it rather than doing code violations all day.

I think you really don't know what you want. You keep saying "in the field" and you reference a Will Ferrell movie. Dude really? This is the real world. Open your mind up a bit. Get all this office vs field crap out of your head. And for the love of god do not enlist. Be an officer if you decide to seriously look into the military.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

manic mike posted:

I think you really don't know what you want. You keep saying "in the field" and you reference a Will Ferrell movie. Dude really? This is the real world. Open your mind up a bit. Get all this office vs field crap out of your head. And for the love of god do not enlist. Be an officer if you decide to seriously look into the military.

Perhaps, but I'd like to think there's a bit more to it than that or I'm asking the wrong questions. I think I'm going to start doing some more research rather than ask more questions. I will just ask if anyone has any experience as an Intel officer if they could tell me what they do on a daily basis and how they like it, that would be a great help.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 13, 2011

Hippay
Nov 19, 2005
SOY BOMB

Crazyweasel posted:

Perhaps, but I'd like to think there's a bit more to it than that or I'm asking the wrong questions. I think I'm going to start doing some more research rather than ask more questions. I will just ask if anyone has any experience as an Intel officer if they could tell me what they do on a daily basis and how they like it, that would be a great help.

I don't have any experience as an intel officer but I worked closely with humint and counter-intel teams "in the field" while deployed. What both of them did a whole lot was A. Tag along with infantry patrols, having interpreters ask people along the way a set of questions that they had printed out on a laminated card and B. Type up the responses to those questions in their daily reports they sent to higher. If you're looking to develop a career, you will not be able to put "field work" done in the military on a resume without getting laughed at. I imagine what intel officers do is receive those reports, and type them up with data gathered from other people doing the same thing and send those reports even higher.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly

Crazyweasel posted:

It's fine to ask questions. In fact, you should do nothing but ask questions if you are unsure about something. Do it in this thread though:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3343448

GIP cares about your future!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Are there public data about completing enlistments? I remember hearing once upon a time that the percentage of those people arriving at boot camp completing their 4/5/6 year commitment was startlingly low. Can someone point me to data?

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Hey I have a quick question. On Army pcs orders, does "dependents: yes" mean that I specifically have dependents or is it just that the post I am going to allows dependents?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

TheUnhorse posted:

Hey I have a quick question. On Army pcs orders, does "dependents: yes" mean that I specifically have dependents or is it just that the post I am going to allows dependents?

...are you asking if you in fact have dependents?

I assume not but couldn't pass up the opportunity to ask

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Yeah I'm just wondering where they get issued from and if it goes on my clothing record.

Real talk though, the problem is my wife is still in the military, won't be going on terminal leave for about a month and a half, and so her and my son aren't specific listed on my orders because obviously they didn't pcs with me. My pcs orders say "Dependents: Yes" and I'm wondering if that means that dependents are authorized ie not an unaccompanied tour or if that is specifically saying TheUnhorse you have dependents coming. The reason I ask is I don't want to get hassled by my gaining unit about not being allowed to move off post.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ron Jeremy posted:

Are there public data about completing enlistments? I remember hearing once upon a time that the percentage of those people arriving at boot camp completing their 4/5/6 year commitment was startlingly low. Can someone point me to data?

Seems very doubtful. The vast majority of people that don't make it to the end wash out in basic training and AIT. Once you are past that point, you have to be a real fuckup to get removed. You could be med-boarded out but at 20ish years old people aren't often getting themselves permanently crippled beyond deployability.

Rrail fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 17, 2011

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

Transparency is not a DoD Value.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Rrail posted:

Seems very doubtful. The vast majority of people that don't make it to the end wash out in basic training and AIT. Once you are past that point, you have to be a real fuckup to get removed. You could be med-boarded out but at 20ish years old people aren't often getting themselves permanently crippled beyond deployability.

The few things I found on Google scholar point this way. The "startling" number turns out to be about 30%, and as you said the majority appear to be in basic training. There are some other fun little trends: women wash out at twice the rate of men, those with more education tend to wash out less, but those who are older (21 vs 18) tend to wash out more.

Roving Reporter posted:

Transparency is not a DoD Value.

There appear to be public studies of the numbers I'm looking for, but behind paywalls in journals I don't have access to. To the library!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Saw this ad on facebook today. So, Second Life, home to internet shut-ins and furry sex roleplayers everywhere, is trying to push itself as a PTSD treatement tool?

poo poo, seeing some of the crazy dicknipple loving would probably CAUSE PTSD in some people.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

overdesigned posted:

Saw this ad on facebook today. So, Second Life, home to internet shut-ins and furry sex roleplayers everywhere, is trying to push itself as a PTSD treatement tool?

poo poo, seeing some of the crazy dicknipple loving would probably CAUSE PTSD in some people.

This isn't entirely out in left field. Virtual reality has been a legitimate treatment for PTSD for a few years now. It's not surprising that Second Life would try to shoulder into that market.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
Does anyone have a sample packing list for a 35lb ruck? I've been wanting do to some ruck training lately and need a place to start.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

One (1) 35lb weight from the gym.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

No Butt Stuff posted:

One (1) 35lb weight from the gym.

You can do this, but put pillows or something in first and put the weight on top in order to spare your lower back. Always put the heaviest stuff on top whenever you can.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Large ziplock bags filled with sand wrapped in 100mph tape. Put them in the radio pouch so they will be up pretty high on your back along with your camelback. Adjust weight accordingly.

A little more work but it'll save your back from getting thrashed.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

ifire posted:

Does anyone have a sample packing list for a 35lb ruck? I've been wanting do to some ruck training lately and need a place to start.

Extra uniform, wet-weather gear, both your 2-quarts full, both your 1 quarts full, extra boots, flashlight, both your ponchos, extra pair of socks and a T-Shirt. Honestly just dump your pile of TA-50 on the ground and grab everything you might need in the event that you find yourself caught over night or stumble across a hosed up stranger. You'll more than likely never use it, but in the event something does happen that 35lb weight isn't going to do much for you.

Roving Reporter posted:

Large ziplock bags filled with sand wrapped in 100mph tape. Put them in the radio pouch so they will be up pretty high on your back along with your camelback. Adjust weight accordingly.

A little more work but it'll save your back from getting thrashed.

This is what I use. I made a few 10s and a few 5s so I can adjust everything to whatever we need for the day. I try to get them on my mid-back, and as close to the frame/my back as possible. Also realize when you put heavy poo poo on top of fluffy poo poo its going to "settle" as you ruck. Try to compensate for that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ifire posted:

That's how much my backpack weighed in high school because I couldn't be assed to use my locker.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Put your sleeping bag at the bottom on the ruck and you will have something relatively light and cushy that will keep heavier stuff on top. In fact what is what the bottom part of the molle ruck is for specifically.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

Put your sleeping bag at the bottom on the ruck and you will have something relatively light and cushy that will keep heavier stuff on top. In fact what is what the bottom part of the molle ruck is for specifically.

Or zip the the bottom pouch off and don't be bothered using it. I always have a hard time getting everything locked down tight and balanced with that huge puffy piece of poo poo in the bottom. Usually I'll zip the bottom pouch off, place my spare boots in first, fill the gaps with uniforms, lay on more poo poo, fill gaps with ponchos ect. It'll make a ruck you can run with that doesn't sap your energy with bounce every time you strike the ground.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Buy 3 10lb weights, 2 in the side pouches, 3rd wrapped in woobie or something in the bag. It's awful but it's simple when you can't be bothered to pack a ruck nice.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So, Generation Kill is just being aired on TV here in Australia and after seeing an episode I've gotten the whole series and I'm watching it.

From you guys that have really been there in it, how close is this to the truth? The incompetence is mind boggling and seemingly criminal. The focus on gaining favor with superiors and advancing your career over making good decisions that benefit all involved.

To the point where I almost don't want to finish watching it. It's not 'Band of Brothers' style awesome, watching manly feats of battle and steely eyed professionals getting poo poo done. It's a bunch of immature and crazed idiots, drawing all the wrong conclusions. It's the movie 'Jarhead' but worse.

Is the the reality of it? In the absence of an organized and formidable opponent like the Nazis the US Armed Forces are .. this? Or was it the same in the 40s, we've just idealized the characters and events to the extent all we have now are rosy-colored legends?

iceslice
May 20, 2005
I'm in the Army and the stupidity is pretty comparable. I don't see as much officer-rear end-kissing, but I'm joe nobody so I wouldn't. Most of the stuff that is hilarious in that series is pretty relevant to every day life..

POLICE THAT MUOOOOSTACHEE! I love that poo poo.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Literally the most accurate military movie ever made.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

iceslice posted:

I'm in the Army and the stupidity is pretty comparable. I don't see as much officer-rear end-kissing, but I'm joe nobody so I wouldn't. Most of the stuff that is hilarious in that series is pretty relevant to every day life..

POLICE THAT MUOOOOSTACHEE! I love that poo poo.

Grampybone posted:

Literally the most accurate military movie ever made.

In that thread invision created (is GiP a shitpost forum?) a few people say this too.

That is more frightening that all your ICBMs combined.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly

Tony Montana posted:

In that thread invision created (is GiP a shitpost forum?) a few people say this too.

Yep, that show you saw on HBO depicting a single battalion of marines pretty much sums up the entire US military and its foreign policy. And this can be verified by reading what some strangers said on the internet.

Here's a tip to help you stop being so frightened. Get away from the TV, put down the internet, and go read a book.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I read plenty of books.

Jarhead and Generation Kill are saying the same thing. As are these strangers on the Internet who are the closest I can get to serving US soliders. It seems to be a common theme and I wanted to know if it's all bullshit.

Doesn't sound like it.

Want to recommend me the book that'll set it all straight?

p.s. you arrogant fuckwit

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Tony Montana posted:

Have you tried Generation Kill by Evan Wright?

Serious answer: check out the book thread in this forum somewhere. TV and movies will always dramatize for maximum effect; books can get away with being boringly accurate.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly

Tony Montana posted:

I read plenty of books.

Jarhead and Generation Kill are saying the same thing. As are these strangers on the Internet who are the closest I can get to serving US soliders. It seems to be a common theme and I wanted to know if it's all bullshit.

Doesn't sound like it.

p.s. you arrogant fuckwit

My last post was pretty rude and full of sarcastic ridicule. My apologies.

You should definitely read the books Jarhead and Generation Kill if you've taken an interest in the movie and show. Just remember they are primarily entertainment. They are meant to be outrageous and might have been developed by people with some kind of preexisting bias.

Generation Kill is all about the characters and depicting life for your average soldier. It was an account of that unit's experience. Soldiers like it because they can identify with those characters. Does it display some negative aspects of the great big military machine? Sure it does. But is it representative of the entire military population? Not at all. If you really want to know the "truth" you would have to read hundreds of books written by experts. Evan Wright is a reporter and wrote articles for Hustler.

I never read Jarhead so I won't say anything about it.

Tony Montana posted:

So, Generation Kill is just being aired on TV here in Australia and after seeing an episode I've gotten the whole series and I'm watching it.

From you guys that have really been there in it, how close is this to the truth? The incompetence is mind boggling and seemingly criminal. The focus on gaining favor with superiors and advancing your career over making good decisions that benefit all involved.

To the point where I almost don't want to finish watching it. It's not 'Band of Brothers' style awesome, watching manly feats of battle and steely eyed professionals getting poo poo done. It's a bunch of immature and crazed idiots, drawing all the wrong conclusions. It's the movie 'Jarhead' but worse.

Is the the reality of it? In the absence of an organized and formidable opponent like the Nazis the US Armed Forces are .. this? Or was it the same in the 40s, we've just idealized the characters and events to the extent all we have now are rosy-colored legends?

I jumped on you because it sounds like you came here from LF to hate on the military... All this talk about incompetence, crimes, and "the truth". They are TV shows. Don't use them to profile the entire military.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

Honestly the most truthful parts of Generation Kill are when Doc calls the Captain incompetent, and he responds by saying "I'm doing the best I can" to which the Doc says "Its not good enough sir." Also when Pearons (I think says) "In the opinion of this marine its all the rap music and violent video games that are desensitizing the youth of today." in regards to how hosed up Trombly is, and all the crazy hosed up marines nod in agreement.

The Army is hosed up kids being forced to do poo poo they don't want to at an attempt to better their lives, and the grown up version of those hosed up kids given the responsibility to train the new ones. They're honestly doing the best they can, and in (most of the time) tough situations its not always good enough.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
My favorite line from Generation Kill goes something like: "We do really stupid poo poo, and by some miracle nobody gets killed, and so we continue to do really stupid poo poo."

It's kind of amazing how one show can be so similar and dissimilar at the same time. They really got the idle chat and minutiae down, even to some of the stereotypes (prettyboy, loudmouth, badass NCO, sergeant major, good officer, bad officer). However, I"m not even close to being a force recon marine, so as for all that shooty stuff they did I have no idea how close that is to being true, or if it is in any way an accurate depiction.

• Locked thread