Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Frozen Horse posted:

I'm going to reverse my earlier optimism about Quaddafi's chances for pulling off a soft landing. I'm also going to predict that the army is going to react poorly to foreign mercenaries attacking their countrymen. Maybe I'm a soft westerner, but $30,000 wouldn't be enough for it to be worth it to get shot by the Libyan army.

As an American, it wouldn't cover the first two hours of my medical care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
A peaceful video from Libya, finally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqhCQri7CCw

This is the Green Book building on fire in Benghazi. The Green Book is Ghaddafi's book on political philosophy.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Slantedfloors posted:

$30,000 will start seeming like a lot less once the mercenaries start getting found sans heads.

It's nice the thug-for-hire business is undergoing such a boom, though. I mean, they went from $8/day to $30,000? The Mubs should have held out for more.

I really can't conceive of how somebody can willingly be paid to go and kill people. Then again, I could never join the army for those reasons too- but at least in the army you have actual good equipment and the idea of patriotism to brush away the fact you're killing people.

And can you imagine capturing one of these fuckers, especially without any real weapons? I can't, that's amazing.

These loving goons make me sick.
e: not you guys though

Spiderfist Island fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 20, 2011

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Spiderfist Island posted:

I really can't conceive of how somebody can willingly be paid to go and kill people. Then again, I could never join the army for those reasons too- but at least in the army you have actual good equipment and the idea of patriotism to brush away the fact you're killing people.

And can you imagine capturing one of these fuckers, especially without any real weapons? I can't, that's amazing.

These loving goons make me sick.
e: not you guys though

Terrible economic prospects that make any career path other than "thug for hire" a dead end, plus misanthropy born from growing up in a region where human lives are considered valueless. That, and they're told the people they are going after will be unarmed, so they figure its easy money.

In truth it'd probably be easier to capture this sort of merc than a career soldier, since at least the soldier could be said to be fighting for a cause. If they realize that their options are surrender or be killed, thoughts of their paycheck probably aren't going to sway their decision to give up. Not to take anything away from the badassery displayed by poorly armed civilians defeating and capturing armed and aggressive mercs, though.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Spiderfist Island posted:

I really can't conceive of how somebody can willingly be paid to go and kill people.

It's easy when you're a psychopath or have zero prospective job opportunities. The mercs in Libya aren't exactly the highest caliber either. They're just guns for hire.

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 20, 2011

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Joining this thread, thanks for all the good info guys.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Nenonen posted:

'minor protests' in Somalia? I guess that's one way to put it when the country has been in civil war for twenty years now.

That almost made me lol, Samolia is a poo poo hole of death and starvation..on the other hand Bahrain is beautiful as were all the people I met there, I hope they get what they want/deserve.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Okay I find this a little disturbing...Not as disturbing as doctors being murdered and protesters being shot with antiaircraft weapons, but still, a tad distressing all the same. From Ivory Coast:

quote:

A turning point?
Gbagbo’s administration nationalises foreign banks

Yesterday (17 Feb), Laurent Gbagbo's government announced on state TV the forced nationalisation of Societe Generale des Banques de Cote d'Ivoire (SGBCI, the local branch of Societe Generale) and Banque Internationale pour le Commerce et l'Industrie de Cote d'Ivoire (BICICI; a unit of French BNP Paribas), although it was not immediately clear whether Standard Chartered and Citigroup's domestic branches would be affected by this decision. As expected, the French government condemned this step and said it had no legal basis since France does not recognise Gbagbo as the Ivorian head of state. The pro-Gbagbo authorities intend to reopen SGBCI and BICICI on Monday, but it remains to be seen whether this can be implemented in practical terms given that financial institutions are short of cash and will still be unable to perform basic inter-bank transactions, as has been the case since the Central Bank of West African States (BCEAO) cut off the Ivorian branch from the head office based in Dakar, Senegal, in Jan 11.

http://myfeedme.com/lm/ivory_coast/15257332

So this would be like the Canadian Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, seizing all the branches of Bank of America within Canada, including all the cash inside the branches at the time of seizure. Add to the scenario that Canada would be having a bank run at the time, the Canadian economy would be collapsing, and Stephen Harper would have lost the last election back in November, and it would be exactly the same.

No wonder France is pissed.

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Potrzebie posted:

Al Hurra is US Govt. funded propaganda TV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_hurra

So? It's information, it's not like it's false just because it happens to support U.S. policy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

and it's not like it's true just because it's on TV

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
This is apparently an eyewitness account of what's going on in Libya (it's audio with translation).

http://audioboo.fm/boos/282959-englishtrans-lpc-benghazi-man-muammar-s-special-forces-are-executing-doctors-libya-feb17

Lots of dead people, lots of foreigners shooting civilians. And Libya is basically using everything it can against its own people.

Edit: From Al-Jazeera

"9:23 am British foreign secretary William Hague had strong words yesterday for the "unacceptable violence" in Libya. In videotaped remarks, he noted reports that security forces there are using heavy weaponry and have deployed a sniper unit against protesters"

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 20, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Live blogs for today:
AJE
Guardian

quote:

Good morning. We'll be running live updates of events in the Middle East throughout the day. Here's a run down of the situation in some countries overnight.

Libya
The death toll in the Libyan city of Benghazi has risen to 104, according to Human Rights Watch, after at least 20 people were killed on Saturday. There are reports of dozens of anti-government protesters shot in the eastern city by army and security forces. The pro-government Al-zahf al-akhdar newspaper warned on Saturday that the government would "violently and thunderously response" to the protests, and siad those opposing the regime risked "suicide". One witness told Reuters, "Dozens were killed ... We are in the midst of a massacre here".

Bahrain
Thousands of anti-government protesters camped overnight at Pearl roundabout in the capital Manama. They had reclaimed the site yesterday after the security forces abruptly surrendered it. On orders from the crown prince, troops and armoured vehicles had withdrawn from the square, which they had taken over on Thursday after riot police staged a night-time attack on a sit-in by protesters, killing four people and wounding 231. Crown Prince Salman has been appointed by the king to lead a dialogue with opposition groups.

Yemen
Supporters of Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh tried to break up a demonstration by opponents of the government this morning and shots were fired as unrest in the country entered its ninth straight day. As many as 50 government supporters tried to disrupt the demonstration by more than 1,000 Saleh opponents gathered outside Sanaa University chanting "Leave, Ali". One Saleh supporter fired shots from an assault rifle, but there were no reported casualties. Both sides fired weapons on Saturday in protests outside the university - the first reported use of firearms by demonstrators.

Morocco
Thousands of Moroccans are expected to join nationwide protests on Sunday to demand that King Mohammed hand some of his powers to a newly elected government and make the justice system more independent. The street protests will also urge the king to dismiss the coalition government and dissolve parliament.

China
Jittery Chinese authorities staged a show of force Sunday to squelch a mysterious online call for a "Jasmine Revolution" apparently modeled after pro-democracy demonstrations sweeping the Middle East, according to AP.
Authorities detained activists, increased the number of police on the streets and censored online calls to stage protests in Beijing, Shanghai and 11 other major cities. Citizens were urged to shout "We want food, we want work, we want housing, we want fairness" a slogan that highlights common complaints among ordinary Chinese.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

The-Mole posted:

strong words

Now, you stop that gaddafi. Don't make us...well, you just stop all this nonsense!

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

coleman francis posted:

Now, you stop that gaddafi. Don't make us...well, you just stop all this nonsense!

We wouldn't want all this commotion stressing al-Megrahi

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

coleman francis posted:

"Tut Tut! if you don't manage to keep this out of the media knock this off, we might not sell you weapons and training anymore!"

Easty
Sep 25, 2008

I checked out the protests in Beijing today... it seemed mostly like curious onlookers and a couple of people standing together outside McDonalds. Police quickly dispersed them, I don't think I saw any violence (but I didn't stick around long.)
Don't think it's coming to China :smith:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12517327

quote:

More than 200 people are known to have died, doctors say, with 900 injured [in Libya].

The most bloody attacks were reported over the weekend, when a funeral procession is said to have come under machine-gun and heavy weapons fire.

One doctor, amid the sounds of fresh gunfire, told the BBC that what had happened was a "massacre".

The violence escalated on Saturday, when a funeral procession for victims of previous clashes made its way past a major security compound.

Witnesses said troops used machine-guns, mortars, large-calibre weapons, and even a missile, against the mourners

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Afternoon update from the Guardian:

quote:

Libya
It is very hard to get accurate information, but the death toll in the eastern city of Benghazi may have risen above 200 today. The government crack-down on the protests is continuing using foreign mercenaries.

Bahrain
The protest at Pearl Square has taken on something of a carnival feel today with demonstrators celebrating the pull back of the security forces. The ruling elite has made overtures to opposition groups to set up talks about the country's future.

Morocco
Protests are taking place across the country today calling for an end to corruption and more political freedoms. So far there are no reports of serious violence.

Tunisia
There have been clashes between security forces and protesters calling for the replacement of the interim government that was put in place after President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali fled the country last month.

Gaddafi is a monster.

[edit] Oh, and they've opened fire on another funeral today:

quote:

AP is reporting that Libyan security forces have again opened fire on mourners at a funeral for anti-government protesters killed in Benghazi yesterday. A man who was shot in leg says marchers were carrying coffins past a military compound when they came under fire. One person was killed, and 14 were injured, AP says. The report also seems to corroborate our earlier source in Benghazi (see 1.29pm), who claimed foreign mercenaries, apparently from Chad and Sudan, were taking part in the crackdown.

quote:

Libyan security forces opened fired on mourners at a funeral for anti-government protesters in the eastern city of Benghazi again Sunday, a day after commandos and foreign mercenaries loyal to longtime leader Moammar Gadhafi pummeled demonstrators with assault rifles and other heavy weaponry as well as knives. A doctor at one city hospital said he counted 200 dead in his morgue alone since unrest began six days ago.

The latest violence in the flashpoint city of Benghazi followed the same pattern as the crackdown on Saturday, when witnesses said forces loyal to Gadhafi attacked mourners at a funeral for anti-government protesters. The doctor at a Benghazi hospital said at least one person was killed by gunshots during the funeral march, and 14 were injured, including five in serious condition. He spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisal.

A man shot in the leg Sunday said marchers were carrying coffins to a cemetery when they passed a military compound in Libya's second-largest city. The man said security forces fired in the air and then opened up on the crowd.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that this could be the beginning of a Fourth Wave of Democracy and that the United States should put strategic and political considerations momentarily aside in order to aggressively promote and support nonviolent people's movements against autocratic regimes. What's Bahrain going to do, kick out the 5th Fleet and stare down Iran themselves? What will Yemen do, turn away our counter-terrorism aid and training?

Great decline or not, America is still the indispensable nation and Obama needs to seize this opportunity to promote democracy the right way (IE not at gunpoint) as quickly as possible. gently caress, at the VERY least he needs to give one of his patented 'Grand Speeches' on the topic, poo poo.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Bahrain's actions are bizarre. Surely sending out indications that you're willing to hold reform discussions would go down better before you used lethal force against the protesters?

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
If full scale conventional warfare against an unarmed civilian populace doesn't unify the Libyan people, I don't think anything will.

I have a feeling it's gone past the point of no return.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
Libya is out of control, flat out massacres...

I thought the Libyan military was not very loyal to Gaddafi. Why is a Egypt type scenario not playing out with the Army preventing a slaughter?

Summertime in the States is going to interesting...

ganglysumbia fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 20, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

He's using mercenaries apparently. From what I've read theres a big split between the cities in the East and the area around Tripoli. Reports from Tripoli I've read says a lot of people there think the people in the East are at best troublemakers, and at worst zionist spies from Egypt and Tunisia trying to overthrow their great leader.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

ganglysumbia posted:

I thought the Libyan military was not very loyal to Gaddafi. Why is a Egypt type scenario not playing out with the Army preventing a slaughter?

He's flown in mercenaries. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/babylonbeyond/2011/02/libya-protests-2.html

I don't know how the protesters are going to keep dealing with that... it's a really bad scenario to say the least.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Pureauthor posted:

Bahrain's actions are bizarre. Surely sending out indications that you're willing to hold reform discussions would go down better before you used lethal force against the protesters?

You'll get more with a kind word and a gun, than you would with just a kind word.
-Spock

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Christ. I was listening to the BBC World Service last night. The host was speaking live to someone on the ground in Libya - Until he gets cut off by mortars striking the crowds a few dozen meters from him.

I don't think I've ever been as genuinely distressed by any media, ever.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ganglysumbia posted:

Summertime in the States is going to interesting...

I heard rumours about that happening yesterday, I don't think anything came of it though.

as for Tripoli, there are reports on twitter of protests there too, but I don't know if those can actually be trusted.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ganglysumbia posted:

Libyan army is a under-motivated joke despised by the people, and half the generals call Gaddafi "dad" or are just his lickspittle toadies. And mercenaries.

I mean poo poo, they lost a war to Chad. Chad.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

ganglysumbia posted:

In Egypt the army was involved in so many businesses that the people were literally their customers, and opening fire on them would have been bad for business.

e:
Also conscription in Egypt made it so the army had more loyalty to the people than the government.

e2:
Looking on wiki apparently the army has 18 months conscription, which makes my above point kind of moot. Not sure why they'd let this happen, unless their commanders told them to just let it go.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 20, 2011

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
Aljazeera just reported protesters have captured tanks and are driving them through the city....

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Toplowtech posted:

It's getting far worse with Sarkozy. There is a current diplomatic row between Mexico and France because Sarkozy decided to dedicate the "Year of Mexico in France" (it's a yearly joint cultural celebration event in France with a new country each year and this year, it's Mexico's turn) to a French woman who is currently serving a 60 years sentence on kidnapping charges in Mexico. The Mexican government decided to withdraw. Sarkozy is the smoothest diplomat since Kaiser Wilhelm II.

A bit of a derail, but I'm hoping Mexico goes back and puts those festivals on, instead the Mexicans dedicate their side of the deal to the crushing defeat of French forces at the Battle of Puebla. It'll be like Cinco De Mayo every day for that year.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

200 civilians killed, attacked with bullets, mortars and a loving missile. What does the President of the United States have to say?

quote:

"I am deeply concerned by reports of violence in Bahrain, Libya and Yemen. The United States condemns the use of violence by governments against peaceful protesters in those countries, and wherever else it may occur," the president said in a statement read to reporters by White House press secretary Jay Carney.

"The United States urges the governments of Bahrain, Libya and Yemen to show restraint in responding to peaceful protests and to respect the rights of their people," Obama said.

I am deeply concerned when I find out my local gamestore is out of Nintendo 3DS preorders. The massacre of peaceful civilians warrants something of a stronger statement, I would imagine. Note that Obama didn't even say this himself, but had some lackey read it to the press for him.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Lybian troops were the last ones to defend Idi Amin and now African mercenaries are the last to defend Gadaffi. You could could not make this stuff up.

If it's actually true. Some of the reports, especially the ones that has women and children jumping off a bridge to escape the Africans have a very racist tone to them.

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006

ganglysumbia posted:

Aljazeera just reported protesters have captured tanks and are driving them through the city....

What? Where?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

BIG HORNY COW posted:

If full scale conventional warfare against an unarmed civilian populace doesn't unify the Libyan people, I don't think anything will.

I have a feeling it's gone past the point of no return.

I'll give it more one country to topple before we go that far. But Saudi Arabia getting involved in everybody's affair is going to be very interesting. If anything, capitalism as a concept is getting a good beating here: these protests are basically going against the corruption inherent in the system that a lot of people globally can relate to.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005

Craiglen posted:

What? Where?

Bengazi

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I'll give it more one country to topple before we go that far. But Saudi Arabia getting involved in everybody's affair is going to be very interesting. If anything, capitalism as a concept is getting a good beating here: these protests are basically going against the corruption inherent in the system that a lot of people globally can relate to.
Should clarify - I think its past the point of no return in LIBYA.

As for a wider middle-eastern scope its anybody's guess.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Should clarify - I think its past the point of no return in LIBYA.

As for a wider middle-eastern scope its anybody's guess.

Oh, I'll back you there. Libya will probably topple or become incredibly unstable.

Frackmire
Jan 26, 2010

WHY DO THEY
HATE US WHEN
WE'RE SO GOOD?

CeeJee posted:

Lybian troops were the last ones to defend Idi Amin and now African mercenaries are the last to defend Gadaffi. You could could not make this stuff up.

If it's actually true. Some of the reports, especially the ones that has women and children jumping off a bridge to escape the Africans have a very racist tone to them.

It would only be racist if African mercenaries were known for their humanitarianism at some previous point of time. But they are not even soldiers anymore, they're criminals at best and animals at worst, created by deplorable living and political conditions in that part of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Suntory BOSS posted:

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that this could be the beginning of a Fourth Wave of Democracy and that the United States should put strategic and political considerations momentarily aside in order to aggressively promote and support nonviolent people's movements against autocratic regimes. What's Bahrain going to do, kick out the 5th Fleet and stare down Iran themselves? What will Yemen do, turn away our counter-terrorism aid and training?

And make it look like USA organized the rebellions in the first place. That would only give the armed forces a legitimate reason to fire at protestors - they'd not be fighting against their people's will, they'd be defending their country against a foreign intervention. gently caress, even the protestors would take arms to fight against a US military expedition. It'd be just another quagmire of civil war like Iraq.

Besides, if Obama really wanted to support democracy, he'd already have had Karzai removed.

• Locked thread