Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Hedrigall posted:

Music i loving love lately includes Midlake's latest album The Courage of Others, Yeasayer, Little Dragon, The Suburbs by Arcade Fire, all of Faunts' stuff, and the new Cut Copy album Zonoscope.

I'm on a new band bender at the moment, so does anyone have any good recommendations from the above? I'm trying to think of common elements that may be helpful. They all seem to have a sort of retro vibe about them, but they range from very organic/acoustic stuff that Midlake does to electronic stuff like Faunts and Cut Copy. They also are pretty much very harmonic and warm sounds. Ugh, I dunno how describe music. But all of the above has been very pleasing for me.

I totally recommended this to someone else in the thread, but here goes anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F0IjVvmnfY

I'd recommend you pick up The Walkmen's album Lisbon. I would describe it as harmonic, warm and retro. If you like those aspects of Arcade Fire, you will probably dig this album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Hedrigall posted:

Music i loving love lately includes Midlake's latest album The Courage of Others, Yeasayer, Little Dragon, The Suburbs by Arcade Fire, all of Faunts' stuff, and the new Cut Copy album Zonoscope.

I'm on a new band bender at the moment, so does anyone have any good recommendations from the above? I'm trying to think of common elements that may be helpful. They all seem to have a sort of retro vibe about them, but they range from very organic/acoustic stuff that Midlake does to electronic stuff like Faunts and Cut Copy. They also are pretty much very harmonic and warm sounds. Ugh, I dunno how describe music. But all of the above has been very pleasing for me.

you may like Tennis' new album Cape Dory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpNCfJDzDb4

also maybe The Morning Benders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeE82XyNkyM

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Hey there, I'm a dumb babby and I need help at getting into music.

I have never owned a full album or cd of music in my life. I would really love to have something to listen to; Problem is I have no idea what albums to get or what bands to listen to.

I like classical music, and music with a nice bassline or something. I think Barkley's "Crazy" is a pretty nice song, so maybe something more like that.

No this is not a troll, I am seriously helpless in my music tastes. Please help goons!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Hedrigall posted:

They all seem to have a sort of retro vibe about them, but they range from very organic/acoustic stuff that Midlake does to electronic stuff like Faunts and Cut Copy. They also are pretty much very harmonic and warm sounds.

ever try The Kingsbury Manx? everything up to The Fast Rise and Fall of the South is great.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Kikka posted:

I have never owned a full album or cd of music in my life. I would really love to have something to listen to; Problem is I have no idea what albums to get or what bands to listen to.

I like classical music, and music with a nice bassline or something. I think Barkley's "Crazy" is a pretty nice song, so maybe something more like that.

No this is not a troll, I am seriously helpless in my music tastes. Please help goons!

A good suggestion is probably Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Really good bassline great hip hop music bass lines and some classical riffs.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 16, 2011

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Kikka posted:

Honestly if I were you I would just spend a decent amount of time Googling 'best album' lists of certain decades or of all time. I'm not saying this because canon albums or albums that lots of people think are great are always the best, but they can give you a background to work outward from.

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

gay til death posted:

Also looking to get into electroacoustic improv, since its so huge maybe recommend me a "canon" release and a newer release that's very good.

I don't know anything about eai from the last few years because it all just flares up my tinnitus nowadays anyway, but some of the canonical recommendations are Rowe & Tilbury's "Duos for Doris", MIMEO & Tilbury's "The Hands of Caravaggio", Toshimaru Nakamura's "No-Input Mixing Board" and the early releases on Erstwhile and A Bruit Secret in general

Jelly!
Feb 15, 2007

pAPYruS mEMBeR
I've been looking for music similar to the sound of Little Boots, Miike Snow, and Lily Allen. I really love the high energy they have in most of their songs. Bonus if its a female artist.

here are some references, my fav for each artist:
little boots http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDay5TkaSsg
miike snow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVWeqAPQUXc
lily allen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL6DlOQIwaY

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Looking for more hip, contemporary jazz, the likes of Jason Lindner's Now vs Now. In the process of checking out anything else associated with him, or their fantastic drummer Mark Guiliana, but wouldn't mind some more recommendations. I say 'contemporary' but I'm not too bothered about timeframe as long as it sounds decently modern. Trying to break into jazz/fusion in general and I'm really fond of stuff that blurs the lines a bit like this. Besides that, I've been listening to some Avishai Cohen and Hiromi Uehara, both of which I'm quite fond of.

Oh, and thanks to whoever recommended One Shot's Ewaz Vader earlier on, it's wonderful. :)

Kikka posted:

The Beatles are basically essential listening, whether you end up loving them, hating them or proclaiming they don't "live up to the hype" (I never tire of people telling me this). Fortunately, you don't have to go pouring through their entire back catalog, as Love is a fantastic compilation of some of their best and weirdest, remastered and neatly edited together. McCartney's basslines were always a highlight of their music for me too, so that should have you covered.

Gosh, I really need to figure out how to recommend things without it sounding like blatant marketing speak.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Yeah I already tried the Beatles. Wasn't my thing.

I also downloaded all of Mozart piano concertos. Like all of them.
Holy poo poo do I have to listen to all of them to stop being a plebian or is there a list of essentials somewhere?

Oh, I also remembered that I like jazz and blues a lot! Any tips for that?

Kikka fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 17, 2011

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Kikka posted:

Holy poo poo do I have to listen to all of them to stop being a plebian or is there a list of essentials somewhere?

Jazz and Blues you say?

Wes Montgomery - Full House
Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life
Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Self Titled
Weather Report - Heavy Weather

As for blues, check out Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour album. For just pure blues rock, it's loving beastly. Also just look for compilations of Gary Moore (RIP), B.B. King, Eric Clapton etc.

I'm sure someone can give you some better tips but frankly I just wanted to plug Rory Gallagher because I love that man.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Kikka posted:

Like someone else suggested, the best way for you to go about this is probably to start looking up "best of"/"essential"/whatever genre and decade lists. You'll find these everywhere, some are good, some are bad, don't worry about it. Just use the lists as a jumping-off point and start browsing around, don't take any of them too seriously.

Here are some examples:
Blues
Jazz
1970s
These are album lists. You can also find lists of artists and songs.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Jelly! posted:

I've been looking for music similar to the sound of Little Boots, Miike Snow, and Lily Allen. I really love the high energy they have in most of their songs. Bonus if its a female artist.

here are some references, my fav for each artist:
little boots http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDay5TkaSsg
miike snow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVWeqAPQUXc
lily allen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL6DlOQIwaY

Ladyhawke, Florence & the Machine, La Roux, Eliza Doolittle, Ellie Goulding?

Jelly!
Feb 15, 2007

pAPYruS mEMBeR

Ras Het posted:

Ladyhawke, Florence & the Machine, La Roux, Eliza Doolittle, Ellie Goulding?

gunna get ladyahwke and eliza doolittle. I already have the rest.

I'm still looking for more, maybe more in the techno/trance genre w/ the high energy.

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play

Jelly! posted:

gunna get ladyahwke and eliza doolittle. I already have the rest.

I'm still looking for more, maybe more in the techno/trance genre w/ the high energy.

In addition to what Ras Het said, try Robyn, Marina & the Diamonds and Goldfrapp.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
I'm looking for something weird, but with a sense of humor. Some of the stuff that I already listen to that falls into this category are Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Primus, Ween, Pere Ubu, the Residents, Estradasphere, and any of the Mike Patton projects and I guess to a lesser extent Devo and Buckethead. I'm having a hard time finding similarly strange bands these days without just heading into all-out avantgarde territory (which can be up its own rear end at times, and most I find completely humorless).

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

HateTheInternet posted:

I'm looking for something weird, but with a sense of humor. Some of the stuff that I already listen to that falls into this category are Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Primus, Ween, Pere Ubu, the Residents, Estradasphere, and any of the Mike Patton projects and I guess to a lesser extent Devo and Buckethead. I'm having a hard time finding similarly strange bands these days without just heading into all-out avantgarde territory (which can be up its own rear end at times, and most I find completely humorless).

Parliament-Funkadelic and all the related off shoots
uh Crass has a weird sense of humor every once in a while, but I get the feeling you might not like that

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

HateTheInternet posted:

HORSE the band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne9XYfE1x44

Diablo Swing Orchestra http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsmAF9cVPm4

IWRESTLEDABEARONCE- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrFTR9fucr8

Xiu Xiu- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhsIcUf36c4

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
Xiu Xiu and (especially) Diablo Swing Orchestra pretty much nailed it. Thanks!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

HateTheInternet posted:

Kid606

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frFtCDpWl5g

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

HateTheInternet posted:

The Frogs and Black Randy & The Metrosquad.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

HateTheInternet posted:

Any Daevid Allen/Gilli Smyth-era Gong.

Of Montreal—mainly their pre-Satanic Panic stuff, and especially Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies.

The Dukes of Stratosphear is a neat XTC side project, in which they did pastiches/parodies of '60s psychedelic rock. Somewhat Ween-like. Actually XTC as a whole would probably fit your criteria.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 18, 2011

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

HateTheInternet posted:

The Dead Milkmen

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Sophomoric, but Crotchduster's silliness is pretty entertaining:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJVrWqY4G9I#t=1m05s

kadjule
Sep 4, 2004

I tell you, ponies have no preoccupation more nagging than to find friends to whom those unhappy creatures may surrender the gift of freedom.

HateTheInternet posted:

Angizia might be cutting it close on the avant-garde thing but I recommend giving them a shot.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

HateTheInternet posted:

This may not be as weird as some of the other suggestions, but try The Soft Boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWHn6bXHMjE

Count Harper
Dec 29, 2008

Oh my god, you know the world is great.
So, I've had a strange inclination to get into metal for a long time, and have tried many different sub-genres and artists. I liked Opeth a little bit, but honestly, the only artist I have really enjoyed is Devin Townsend (especially Terria and Addicted!). Basically, is there any musician/band that I would like, in this case? Doesn't have to be straight-up metal or nothing. Thanks!

supercow
Aug 11, 2009
I'm more into lyrical content than things that sound similar so it's been hard finding music. I've been getting into music with themes of social justice/equality. Some bands/rappers I really dig are some Street Sweeper Social Club, Flobots, Thrice, Talib Kweli and Lupe Fiasco. I know there's like this whole "socially conscious" hip hop genre but I've checked some of it out and most of it doesn't appeal to me very much (not a huge fan of Common). Any suggestions?

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Violent J Mascis posted:

This may not be as weird as some of the other suggestions, but try The Soft Boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWHn6bXHMjE

and there's also Robyn Hitchcock's solo stuff which is pretty wacky / surreal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaGXwyWhAVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7BH02OQM-I

Squeezy Farm fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 20, 2011

Bellabel
Jan 5, 2010

Dead finks don't talk too well; they've got a shaky sense of diction
Can someone recommend some music for me? I gravitate toward the 70s and 80s. I really like Talking Heads (especially Remain in Light and More Songs), early Roxy Music, Bowie's Berlin trilogy... so yeah. I'm obviously a big Brian Eno fan :)

But I want to branch out a little. What I like about the bands I listed above is this kind of funky neurotic vibe I get. so what is relatively new that I might enjoy?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

supercow posted:

I'm more into lyrical content than things that sound similar so it's been hard finding music. I've been getting into music with themes of social justice/equality. Some bands/rappers I really dig are some Street Sweeper Social Club, Flobots, Thrice, Talib Kweli and Lupe Fiasco. I know there's like this whole "socially conscious" hip hop genre but I've checked some of it out and most of it doesn't appeal to me very much (not a huge fan of Common). Any suggestions?

The Last Poets. depending on who you ask, they pretty much created the blueprint for rap music, and the often confrontational/controversial lyrics deal with political and social issues (civil rights, the black power movement, religion). they were around for a long time (in as many configurations as King Crimson) and the music goes from minimal, repetitive tribal drumming and chanting (The Last Poets) to drat funky (Delights of the Garden, my personal favorite), so there's a little something for almost everyone. i don't necessarily agree with all of their views, but it's powerful stuff nonetheless.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Count Harper posted:

So, I've had a strange inclination to get into metal for a long time, and have tried many different sub-genres and artists. I liked Opeth a little bit, but honestly, the only artist I have really enjoyed is Devin Townsend (especially Terria and Addicted!). Basically, is there any musician/band that I would like, in this case? Doesn't have to be straight-up metal or nothing. Thanks!

Try Protest the Hero and Between the Buried of Me!

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Mark Guiliana

Get Avishai Cohen - Continuo, he drums on it and it's one of my favorite albums of all time. Really brilliant jazz/funk/classical fusion, the songs are just incredible.

A Soothing Lacuna
Aug 12, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Bellabel posted:

Can someone recommend some music for me? I gravitate toward the 70s and 80s. I really like Talking Heads (especially Remain in Light and More Songs), early Roxy Music, Bowie's Berlin trilogy... so yeah. I'm obviously a big Brian Eno fan :)

Try Manishevitz, starting with 'City Life' and 'East to East.' after that, go for Adam Busch's next band, called Sonoi. Then go back and listen to the rest of Manishevitz.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Bellabel posted:

But I want to branch out a little. What I like about the bands I listed above is this kind of funky neurotic vibe I get. so what is relatively new that I might enjoy?

Stereolab maybe? The albums Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements and Peng are my favorites, they are almost 20 years old though so maybe not new enough.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Count Harper posted:

I assume you've already looked into Devin Townsend's various side projects, but on the off chance you haven't: do that. I really like Strapping Young Lad.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Count Harper posted:

Try OSI, especially their first album. The two principal members of the band have very different influences, and their music is an odd mesh of heavy metal, ambient electronica, and progressive rock, with introspective lyrics and throaty vocals that would probably sound more at home in folk music. The closest comparison I can make to their overall sound is probably parts of Devin Townsend's album Ki.

Alternatively, quit poking around and listen to some straight-up Iron Maiden. I'm not a metalhead, but I really love a lot of Number of the Beast—if there's something you really like about metal, you'll almost certainly find it in the bands who defined the genre. You might even want to start with Maiden's first two albums, as their original vocalist, while not as good as Bruce Dickinson, has more of an abrasive punkish style that's interesting to hear in the context of theatrical '80s metal.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

wlokos posted:

Get Avishai Cohen - Continuo, he drums on it and it's one of my favorite albums of all time. Really brilliant jazz/funk/classical fusion, the songs are just incredible.

I have Continuo and Gently Disturbed and love both of them. Thanks though. :)

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Bellabel posted:

Check out the new Cut Copy album if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am looking for light, somewhat jazzy, crisply produced music along these lines

White Shoes & The Couples Company - Senandung Maaf
Tom & Joyce - Un Regard, un Sourire
Orange Pekoe - Honeysuckle

Bonus points if it's not in English!

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 22, 2011