Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

SauceNinja posted:

They're definitely part of the equation. Unfortunately people die all the time without being killed by the Libyan armed forces. I'm not saying they're innocent, but I'm not going to assume every picture of a severed foot, exploded head, or bloody brownish person is in Libya and shot by their government. For me, a picture of them attempting to shoot people is more damning than a person who has been shot.

I'll have a quick word with the protesters and ask them to get some pictures of people attempting to shoot them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Jesus christ I wish I didn't watch that video.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Owlkill posted:

I'm not calling for boots on the ground or anything like that but gently caress, you've got Italy, France and Spain (off the top of my head) all within striking distance, all with modern air forces. Surely a no-fly zone wouldn't be too controversial an idea.
Ideally, you'd want to steer clear of any major European (especially Italian) intervention just to avoid the possibility that Ghaddafi can bullshit about the protests being some neo-colonialist plot to reconquer Libya.

The absolute best solution (that is still pretty lovely) would be for any intervention to come from Egypt or Tunisia. It avoids any of the usual talking points for the regime and reminds the Libyan people that their neighbours are with them.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 21, 2011

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Pipski posted:

I'll have a quick word with the protesters and ask them to get some pictures of people attempting to shoot them.

In general pictures of the actual shooting attempts taking place are a major tide-turner in support and awareness. It's one thing to get still photographs. It's another to actually see the perpetrators of the brutality as it's taking place.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Libyan deputy ambassador to the UN, do you have a message for Muammar al-Qaddafi? Libyan deputy ambassador: :frogout:.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Yeah, about that intervention thingy, this just popped up on BBCnews

quote:

2047: One of the most active anti-Gaddafi tweeters, Libyan Dude, tweets: "Ok, more important than ever to say this I guess: We don't want foreign (and western) intervention, only condemnation and humanit. aid".

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've only been glancing at this thread and the news from time to time, but I can't understand why these governments aren't saying "but....but Israel!" to try and regain order. Isn't that what they normally do when faced with hard domestic problems? Would it not work somehow, or do they have some other plan?

Give brown people some credit.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Yusuf al Qaradawi on Aljazeera saying that by every religious definition Qaddafi and everyone who helps him at this point forward is damned to hell forever. and he spent a long time praying to god to strike down Qaddafi and all who help them to the fires of hell and protect the Libyan people from their evil and free them from that evil.

Truly a man who speaks the right stuff.

* News*

Aljazeera Reports several military aircraft sent to bomb Benghazi have instead landed their planes and the pilots defected there.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 21, 2011

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

This makes me physically ill. It's just disgusting.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Times posted:

I fear very strongly for your friend. It does not look good. He is in the middle of nothing short of a massacre by a government of its own people. They don't care about who they kill - they are killing everyone, punishing all the citizens for daring to speak out against a criminal regime.

I literally won't hold it against the Libyan people if they shoot back and kill soldiers who are trying to kill them.

Why would you ever hold proportional self-defense against someone?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Greyhawk posted:

Well military intervention is a horrible idea, but UN sanctions and ceasing to buy oil would be a great step.

Al-Saqr posted:

Yusuf al Qaradawi on Aljazeera saying that by every religious definition Qaddafi and everyone who helps him at this point forward is damned to hell forever. and he spent a long time praying to god to strike down Qaddafi and all who help them to the fires of hell and protect the Libyan people from their evil and free them from that evil.

Truly a man who speaks the right stuff.

Qaradawi holds some pretty terrible opinions, but he's right about dictators.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

Owlkill posted:

Too loving right Qatari prime minister. Bout time the EU and NATO (or the Arab League or anyone else for that matter) stepped up to the plate and actually intervened in a genocide for once rather than sitting back tutting and then saying 'never again' once it's all over. I'm not calling for boots on the ground or anything like that but gently caress, you've got Italy, France and Spain (off the top of my head) all within striking distance, all with modern air forces. Surely a no-fly zone wouldn't be too controversial an idea.

The United States 6th Fleet is based in Italy, there is at least one aircraft carrier within range to run air cover over Tripoli and Banghazi which are on the coast.

The Orgasm Sanction fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 21, 2011

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Intel5 posted:

The United States 6th Fleet is based in Italy, there is at least one aircraft carrier within range.
Any foreign intervention is a bad idea, but American intervention would be the absolute worst thing ever by a large margin.

Priapist
Aug 10, 2002

Heeeere's Herbie!

Owlkill posted:

Too loving right Qatari prime minister. Bout time the EU and NATO (or the Arab League or anyone else for that matter) stepped up to the plate and actually intervened in a genocide for once rather than sitting back tutting and then saying 'never again' once it's all over. I'm not calling for boots on the ground or anything like that but gently caress, you've got Italy, France and Spain (off the top of my head) all within striking distance, all with modern air forces. Surely a no-fly zone wouldn't be too controversial an idea.

None of those countries, or even the EU as a whole, will take action unilaterally. Even if they wanted to, they aren't within distance to enforce a no-fly zone without U.S. aerial refueling, AWACS, and Naval support. The EU isn't heavy on power-projection military capabilities. The U.S. will have to take the lead under a NATO umbrella, and that likely won't happen without a Security Council directive. Considering China's relationship with Libya, Russia's ties, and the overall skepticism of U.S. intentions in that part of the world, I don't see a U.N. mandate happening, either.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The-Mole posted:

Why would you ever hold proportional self-defense against someone?
People were crying in the Egypt thread about how horrors, the protestors defended themselves against the thugs, it's not a peaceful protest any more :qq:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've only been glancing at this thread and the news from time to time, but I can't understand why these governments aren't saying "but....but Israel!" to try and regain order. Isn't that what they normally do when faced with hard domestic problems? Would it not work somehow, or do they have some other plan?

"The boy that cried :jewish:." Over the past half-century, the people of the Middle East have discovered that their regimes have no interest in actually helping the Palestinians, and are using the plight of the Palestinians for their own benefit. The Arabs are sick of "but Israel!" They want a government that actually worries about their interests and maybe cares about the Palestinians enough to treat the Palestinians' suffering as more than a PR campaign.

Lasagna
Jun 20, 2001
I wish my country (Italy) would finally show some balls, and after asking consent of NATO and EU, step up and send a fat task force to kick those mercs in the balls and hang them high.
First to protect Lybians, tben to protect italians living and working there (which are many), and finally to protect our interests there and keep oil prices from jumping high

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Patter Song posted:

"The boy that cried :jewish:." Over the past half-century, the people of the Middle East have discovered that their regimes have no interest in actually helping the Palestinians, and are using the plight of the Palestinians for their own benefit. The Arabs are sick of "but Israel!" They want a government that actually worries about their interests and maybe cares about the Palestinians enough to treat the Palestinians' suffering as more than a PR campaign.
Thanks, that's really, really good to know.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Aljazeera just got through to someone in one of the towns under attack, he says that the town is in full war mode with the citizens actively fighting mercenary forces, he reports that 40 mercenaries have been captured by the Libyan people so far.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

Slantedfloors posted:

Any foreign intervention is a bad idea, but American intervention would be the absolute worst thing ever by a large margin.

I don't think there would be much fallout from preventing Libyan military aircraft from taking off, since they are bombing their own people.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Lasagna posted:

I wish my country (Italy) would finally show some balls, and after asking consent of NATO and EU, step up and send a fat task force to kick those mercs in the balls and hang them high.
First to protect Lybians, tben to protect italians living and working there (which are many), and finally to protect our interests there and keep oil prices from jumping high

Shouldn't your skies be filled with Italian fighter planes? I've read that Italia has put its air bases on full alert and sending its planes south earlier today.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
While it sounds like a good idea to send task forces and such, these uprisings have to be uprisings of the people, for the people, and by the people, otherwise they risk not being able to really take ownership of their revolution.

No, it's best as horrifying as it is for these things to play out by themselves.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Intel5 posted:

I don't think there would be much fallout from preventing Libyan military aircraft from taking off, since they are bombing their own people.

I couldn't believe the story I just saw on AJE about two Libyan Air Force Colonels that said "gently caress it" to bombing civilians, and just flew to Malta. Clearly not all their military is just following orders blindly.

Also this youtube user http://www.youtube.com/user/MsKimo80 is the one that all the mass media was getting their videos from last night and earlier. There's some pretty brutal stuff on there :\

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Greyhawk posted:

Shouldn't your skies be filled with Italian fighter planes? I've read that Italia has put its air bases on full alert and sending its planes south earlier today.

Now that I think about it, it's likely standard operation procedure so the Italian air force can prevent Libyan planes from bombing merchant ships or even Italian soil. I know, it's not likely but the situation is so unstable now that anything is possible.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Greyhawk posted:

But will that still be the attitude if cities start getting carpet-bombed? It would largely depend on how far intervention went, of course. I can't see the US/EU wanting to pour ground troops in, and putting the kibosh on the Libyan air force wouldn't be the sort of thing that makes the general populace feel occupied.

Word that some pilots have defected rather than do bombings gives one hope that it won't be necessary. If the Libyan air force ignores their orders, there's no need for intervention and the regime would be gone in a matter of days.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

AJE twitter:

quote:

AJELive Airstrikes now hitting Misratah, east of #Tripoli, as #Libyan tanks open fire in the Libyan city, says #AJArabic

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More attacks reported
Libyan city of Misratah, east of Tripoli, is latest to be attacked by airstrikes. Heavy artillery fire devastates buildings as tanks roll into the city, witnesses tell Al Jazeera.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

roundmidnight posted:

While it sounds like a good idea to send task forces and such, these uprisings have to be uprisings of the people, for the people, and by the people, otherwise they risk not being able to really take ownership of their revolution.

No, it's best as horrifying as it is for these things to play out by themselves.
Pretty much.

As horrific and disgusting as the Libyan/Bahraini governments reaction to the protests and the number of people killed are, any revolutions have to be entirely internal if they're going to be perceived as legitimate. The point isn't just that they get a new government, it needs to be that the people were able to overthrow their rulers and demand their rights.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Slantedfloors posted:

Oh no, Israeli intervention would be far worse than that.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Wow, guy on AJE right now is talking about the Libyan forces using high-caliber rounds on civilians, saying there is nothing they can do to treat these wounds and the hospitals are just getting mutilated corpses dropped off :gonk: This is Awful.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
Guy on AJE just said they're using anti-aircraft weapons on protesters :psyduck:

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Pipski posted:

I think it would go a long way toward supporting their cause. You can start with that guys friend in Libya.

schadenfraud posted:

A friend of mine just posted this on his Facebook

"Criminal 30 mins ago he sent his mercenaries to our town which is just 20 min east tripoli they killed anyone in streets they shot a women in the head because she was in her balcony please it’s literal massacre etc..."

:cry:

My flags for viral propaganda marketing went up when I read that message. That being said, I hope the citizens kick much rear end.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

korranus posted:

Oh no, Israeli intervention would be far worse than that.
Well yeah, that would be worse. But that's going into a realm of horror so deep that next logical step would be something like "Satan, Sauron and Darth Vader announce their support of the Protests"

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Cjones posted:

Guy on AJE just said they're using anti-aircraft weapons on protesters :psyduck:

Thats just... Oh god. :smith:
This is bad, really bad.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

roundmidnight posted:

Yeah man I'm sure the family of the future thousands killed will rest happily knowing that a possible foreign intervention could have gotten the same results without their husband/wife/child brutally murdered ending in more or less the same conclusion.

Would it really matter if say, US forces came in, captured Gadaffi and the general oligarchy, ended the carnage and handed it to the people? Does anyone really think the rest of the world will just say "nuh-uh, that doesn't count, give the good colonel his weapons back!"

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
No one is saying we should co-opt their revolution, and I don't see how stopping the Libyan air force from dropping bombs on civilians would do that.

Priapist
Aug 10, 2002

Heeeere's Herbie!

Cjones posted:

This would explain the injuries shown in the video posted earlier.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Slantedfloors posted:

Well yeah, that would be worse. But that's going into a realm of horror so deep that next logical step would be something like "Satan, Sauron and Darth Vader announce their support of the Protests"

What if Israel offered some sort of large humanitarian aid assistance? That would be seen as a sign of good faith and a step towards unity?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cjones posted:

I didn't even know that you could point anti-aircraft guns at targets on the ground. Or can the protesters fly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Let's not slander Lord Vader here; from the sound of it he's killed fewer children than Gaddafi.

• Locked thread