Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doccers posted:

sadly, it's often the opposite. These things leave burning hot steel fragments everywhere. If you're not hit somewhere immediately fatal, you have a burning hot chunk of metal imbedded in you and it's ripped open your flesh like Pyramidhead or the chainsaw loving massacre guy.

Yeah, I realized that and edited in my comment about the survivors. I was really just referring to the absolute worst of the images where all that's left of someone is their head and bits of their legs. Those things look terrible but they had it quick and easy compared to the people who are getting mutilated but surviving. It's a really depressing situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nenonen posted:

AA guns are always dual purpose. Other posters have mentioned the use of heavy (German 88mm and 128mm) flak guns against tanks in WW2, but heavy AA is not used any more as missiles have replaced them. Rapid firing small calibre AA guns however are still very popular, and they are also very effective anti-infantry weapons due to their high rates of fire, especially as mounted versions such as the Soviet ZSU-23/4 Shilka (four barrels of 23mm caliber). With just one second burst, it can fire ~15 exploding shells whoops, I'm stupid, that's just for one barrel. With all four barrels it will fire 60 grenades per second. And it impacts a large area.

When used against demonstrators in a street, it's the same as putting people through a meatgrinder, and I don't understand how anyone would be able to pull the trigger against their own people?!? But I also don't understand how anyone can suicide bomb schools and poo poo, and it still happens. :(

In World War 2, the Americans used this Quad-gun .50 machinegun setup as a towed anti-aircraft gun or mounted in a half-track. They expected heavy German air presence inhibiting action on the ground so they made lots of them. However, after the Falaise pocket, German airpower was almost non-existent, so, they used the guns for clearing out snipers and enemy emplacements. One tactic was to find the tree a sniper was in, aim for the trunk, and cut the tree down with machinegun fire and have the sniper fall into it.

The Allies had a name for the Quad-.50s.

They called them "meat-choppers".

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Doccers posted:

it's still not our place to intervene, for very good reason.

gently caress you it would save lives. I don't give a gently caress if the protesters who happen to live through this inhumane massacre feel emasculated or put out that they needed someone else to come in and stop the wholesale slaughter of thousands of their country men women and children. The idea that political considerations should be taken into account when a vast mass murder is taking place is an abhorrent thought and the greatest example of cowardice I can think of.

Good thing we didn't help the 6 million Jews during the holocaust. They might have had their feelings hurt. gently caress You.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Billy the Mountain posted:

gently caress you it would save lives. I don't give a gently caress if the protesters who happen to live through this inhumane massacre feel emasculated or put out that they needed someone else to come in and stop the wholesale slaughter of thousands of their country men women and children. The idea that political considerations should be taken into account when a vast mass murder is taking place is an abhorrent thought and the greatest example of cowardice I can think of.

Good thing we didn't help the 6 million Jews during the holocaust. They might have had their feelings hurt. gently caress You.

Yes because I want people to get killed.

What the gently caress are you smoking you retarded hack?

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
What is going to happen when Gadaffi is gone? By whatever means will inevitably oust him - will the people trust the military to hold an interim government like we saw in Egypt?
Seems like the military isn't respected like Egypt's is.

McCaine
Feb 20, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT MAKING A SICK BURN ON MY
TWITTER ABOUT VILE RATS DEATH FOR SOMETHING THAT HAPPENED THREE YEARS AGO, PS CHECK MY RAP SHEET BECAUSE I AM MOST LIKELY STILL BUTT HURT THAT HE BANNED ME BECAUSE I POSTED PEDO ANIME BOYS

I don't think you understand politics very well. The whole difference between Iraq and the International Brigades is that in the latter case the people volunteers came to support actually invited them, and in the former case they didn't. That makes all the difference.

Paradoxus
Nov 22, 2007
BOCK?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Namarrgon posted:

I'm not talking about the US. I just used them as an example. I'm not American, I don't care.

No man i totally agree with you, I just think that's its funny that a lot of countries that are in the position to help, can't say anything with out looking like hypocrites.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Good thing we didn't help the 6 million Jews during the holocaust.

Yes because the Libyan situation is literally the WW2 Holocaust. People are being taken out of their homes and sent on trains to destruction camps.

Sivias posted:

At least anyone below the rank of a Colonel can say "we were just following orders"...

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Oh man, this is Iraqi propaganda minister time all over again:

quote:

RawyaRageh #Libya's Deputy FM on AJArabic: I called in to tell you about ur dismal coverage & tell u, you do not own the airwaves alone #Feb17
39 seconds ago · reply

RawyaRageh #Libya's DeputyFM calls in, asks to be on air on AJArabic. Presenter says: 'If u don't trust our coverage, why are you on air with us now?"
about 1 minute ago · reply

RawyaRageh AJA Presenter now on air trying to corner Deputy Libyan FM to allow Al Jazeera entry to cover #Libya events #Feb17 #Benghazi
2 minutes ago · reply

RawyaRageh Deputy Libyan FM AlGeaim to AJA - haven't heard of resignation of Justice Minister #Libya #Feb17 #Benghazi
3 minutes ago · reply

RawyaRageh Deputy Libyan FM Al Geaim denies presence of any African mercenaries in #Libya #Feb17 #Benghazi
4 minutes ago · reply

RawyaRageh Deputy Libyan Foreign Min. #AlJazeera inciting strife in #Libya. 'What do you gain from ur coverage? More employees?' #Feb17
5 minutes ago · reply

RawyaRageh Deputy Libyan Foreign Min. to AJArabic 'No massacres in #Benghazi' #Feb17 #Libya

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Sivias posted:

What is going to happen when Gadaffi is gone? By whatever means will inevitably oust him - will the people trust the military to hold an interim government like we saw in Egypt?

No, it's really just an instrument of Gadaffi.
I suspect when he's gone, one of the military commanders high up (but not TOO high up) will try and take charge.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007

Uglycat posted:

You significantly limit yourself, your nation and the world by believing the future cannot differ from the past.

It's reasonable to claim that Egyptians will move towards democracy despite them "never having it" because there's a conceivable reason for them to want to. The same does not exist for capital and allowing client states to slip away.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Intervening in this ends any chance of the middle eastern revolutions staying viable, confirms everything every dictator has said about foreign influence being the real cause of the demonstrations, engenders even worse crackdowns in the surviving dictatorships, mires the United States in another Imperialist adventure and overall is the wrong thing to do.

It loving sucks that people are getting killed. I'd love to see my country intervene in something just for once. The West can't play that card because of hundreds of years of meddling, though. It is, honestly, better to let the opposition fight for their freedom and win than intervene on the grounds we get another client state.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Sivias posted:

It's not clear. The political situation isn't as developed as in Tunisia or Egypt, where they had elections (sham elections, but it matters) and political parties. There's no constitution in Libya, there's no elections, political parties aren't really allowed. As far as I can tell, civil society is heavily repressed.

Libya unfortunately is a very understudied area, mostly because it's very opaque and hard to get access to, so there's not much information available. I'll do some research though.

edit: there is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Front_for_the_Salvation_of_Libya , but I'm not sure how popular it is.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 21, 2011

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

This is amazing

quote:

RawyaRageh #Libya's deputy FM to AJArabic presenter: 'No, no. You are not allowed to mock me!" #Feb17 #Benghazi
53 seconds ago · reply

RawyaRageh AJArabic presenter to #Libya's deputy FM: 'How do we pass your test of professionalism, sir?" #Feb17 #Benghazi
about 1 minute ago · reply

RawyaRageh Khaled AlGaeim, #Libya's deputy FM, to AJArabic - if u change ur ways, u're welcome to come in to cover events in #Libya #Feb17 #Benghazi
2 minutes ago · reply

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Sivias posted:

That's really one of the fundamental differences between the two. In Egypt, Mubarak was the frontman for the corrupt oligarchy that had been ruling the country since before he got there. Removing Mubarak is a great move, but it doesn't destroy the fundamental structure of Egypt (and allows a transition to be peaceful). In Libya, Qadaffi IS the regime. Remove him and there's nothing, Libya will need to build a new order from scratch.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Greyhawk posted:

Oh man, this is Iraqi propaganda minister time all over again:
Clearly those dead bodies were stolen from the morgue by Al Jazeera and mutilated to enrage the world! There are no massacres in Tunisia!
*In the background, tanks smash through a wall and crush cars, guns blazing*

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

If I was in Wisconsin and the government was shooting me with tanks and AA vehicles, I would cheer Satan himself if he came to defend me. There is no enemy greater than the one that is shooting your unarmed neighbors with a tank.

This is true and it's why a lot of countries were very friendly towards the Americans directly following WW2. In Belgium they LOVE Canadians because it was the Canadian forces that kicked the Nazis out. The difference is that in that case it was a foreign invader that occupied the country so when they were gone, there wasn't a need to rebuild the government because one already existed. It's a lot touchier in a case of a dictator declaring war on his own people, because the only way to really win that war is to completely wipe out the government and military (or at least, wipe them out to the point that the remainder defects/surrenders).

I think the best thing they could do is provide supplies to the protesters; food and medical supplies of course, but even weapons and training if they request it. The problem right now is you have the Libyan military attacked the unarmed populace, so although the people vastly outnumber the military, they don't have the means to defend themselves. If those means are provided, you won't really need to have a foreign military presence to help them remove their dictator, and allowing them to win the war for themselves also helps avoid the "nation building" problem that the US has in Iraq and Afghanistan.

It's a complicated problem, really. When a nation gets to the point that Libya is at, it becomes very difficult to figure out what to do. Of course Qadafi is the bad guy here, and he needs to be gone pronto. But if you hand out weapons to the civilians, and the guy who ends up replacing Qadafi with the weapons you gave him turns out to be just as bad, the whole thing starts over again. I can understand why other nations are hesitant to take a stance that strong.

They should at least send them medicine and food though. There is no way that could turn bad and the people really need the aid.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

MrQwerty posted:

Intervening in this ends any chance of the middle eastern revolutions staying viable, confirms everything every dictator has said about foreign influence being the real cause of the demonstrations, engenders even worse crackdowns in the surviving dictatorships, mires the United States in another Imperialist adventure and overall is the wrong thing to do.

It loving sucks that people are getting killed. I'd love to see my country intervene in something just for once. The West can't play that card because of hundreds of years of meddling, though.

This. We've lost utterly the ability to meddle or get involved in affairs, without causing even MORE problems.

Yes the killing sucks, Yes if I was god I'd rain down the fires of judgement, Yes if I had one of those gun crews within 600 yards of me right now this very second I'd take a shot at them gently caress the consequences, But I'm none of these things, and I'm not a Libyan, and THEY HAVE ASKED US TO STAY THE gently caress OUT OF IT. They are DYING and BLEEDING and STILL TELLING US TO STAY THE gently caress OUT WHAT ABOUT THIS DO YOU NOT COMPREHEND JESUS gently caress AARGH

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

What if a less hated country like Canada or Denmark intervened?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Doccers posted:

This. We've lost utterly the ability to meddle or get involved in affairs, without causing even MORE problems.
Wait, when did we HAVE this ability?

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

back when the vogue thing for white european countries/america was to meddle and get involved in affairs, which is exactly what landed us in this mess. :(

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Doccers posted:

Yes the killing sucks, Yes if I was god I'd rain down the fires of judgement, Yes if I had one of those gun crews within 600 yards of me right now this very second I'd take a shot at them gently caress the consequences, But I'm none of these things, and I'm not a Libyan, and THEY HAVE ASKED US TO STAY THE gently caress OUT OF IT. They are DYING and BLEEDING and STILL TELLING US TO STAY THE gently caress OUT WHAT ABOUT THIS DO YOU NOT COMPREHEND JESUS gently caress AARGH

Who is asking us to stay out? That one Libya Dude tweet? Who is he?

As a human being I find it horrific that we (and MANY other countries) have the power to stop the killing of civilians within 48 hours give or take, but won't, because of politics. If you disagree with me, fine. It's just how I feel.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

You're right for the wrong reasons. It's not our place to adopt a strong paternalistic stance;
But we can 'justify' paternalism if and only if the following 3 circumstances are met:
1) It's (exclusively) to avoid great harm (and not to achieve some 'greater good')
2) The people are unable to express their will themselves (they are being repressed; there is no dispute that their government no longer represents them)
3) It's reasonable to assume that, at a later time, the people would ratify the decision.

You can't justify intervention because you can't stomach a youtube video. And you can't justify intervention if you can't satisfy those three conditions.

And these criteria are really just a bunch of ideas some utilitarian philosophers came up with for doctors, they're not divine law of Objective Morality (as determined a priori with absolute confidence). There are subjective and cultural value judgments even in these criteria. But I think it'd be the strongest sell any international body could make for intervening in the current situation.

Your argument, however, would be an embarrassment to any military that attempted to intervene on those grounds.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

As a human being I find it horrific that we (and MANY other countries) have the power to stop the killing of civilians within 48 hours give or take, but won't, because of politics. If you disagree with me, fine. It's just how I feel.

Yeah, it is loving horrific. It's also entirely 100% our fault.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

If you disagree with me, fine. It's just how I feel.
Stop personally attacking people you disagree with.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Between the start of WWII and the start of the Korean war. So a little over a decade in total.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

[edit] Apology accepted.

Doccers fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 21, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

MrQwerty posted:

With the West out, there's two major military powers left in the world that could conceivably intervene, and neither Israel nor Russia is loved around those parts of the world. I don't see how anyone can do anything without it turning into an even worse mess. Even if UN had any military power (and it doesn't), security council is an instrument designed to prevent massacres, not stop them.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Who is asking us to stay out? That one Libya Dude tweet? Who is he?

The former Libyan diplomat who resigned said "We don't want the west to interfere. We just want them to tell the world that what is happening there is terrible."

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Doccers posted:

Libyan officials and diplomats want a no-fly zone, not an occupation. It has been requested at the UN. There are crimes being committed against unarmed people by their air force.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Stop personally attacking people you disagree with.

Your right, I apologize, and won't do it again. I watched both of the videos going around and got worked up and posted from a very emotional place. For some reason the detachment I usually feel when looking at news of terrible things going on around the world left me, and with it my better judgment. Again, I'm sorry.

Priapist
Aug 10, 2002

Heeeere's Herbie!

ChaosSamusX posted:

What if a less hated country like Canada or Denmark intervened?

They couldn't. They just don't have the military capability to project power on short notice that far from home. Nor do the EU powers on their own - even nearby countries like Italy. Only the U.S. has the ability to maintain sustained operations required to take and retain control of Libyan airspace should the U.N. call for a no-fly zone. That would involve carrier air, aerial refueling, and AWACS.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

PlantRobot posted:

Libyan officials and diplomats want a no-fly zone, not an occupation. It has been requested at the UN. There are crimes being committed against unarmed people by their air force.

Last I heard the Libyan diplomats were saying "Stay Out".

If Libya changes it's mind and wants a no fly zone, we are Very Very Very good at denying the sky to anybody we don't like and I pray to god we vaporize any gently caress who takes to the air in the hopes to bomb an unarmed crowd of people.

But the last I've heard was "stay out".

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Sivias posted:

The former Libyan diplomat who resigned said "We don't want the west to interfere. We just want them to tell the world that what is happening there is terrible."

In the interview I watched he asked for an enforced no fly zone over Libyan cities, safe passage for medical supplies into and out of egypt/tunisia and an ICC trial set up for Gadaffi

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
One thing that could be done would be to sieze assets in western countries and deny entry to that rear end in a top hat and his croonies. Why has that not already been done?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Patter Song posted:

In Libya, Qadaffi IS the regime. Remove him and there's nothing, Libya will need to build a new order from scratch.

Gaddafi really is batshit crazy. There was a news some time ago of him deciding to dismantle the Libyan central government completely, leaving only regional governments. Gaddafi should be a tea party idol.

Also, there is an Al-Gaddafi International Prize for Human Rights. :psyduck:

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Doccers posted:

Last I heard the Libyan diplomats were saying "Stay Out".

If Libya changes it's mind and wants a no fly zone, we are Very Very Very good at denying the sky to anybody we don't like and I pray to god we vaporize any gently caress who takes to the air in the hopes to bomb an unarmed crowd of people.

But the last I've heard was "stay out".

Then you haven't been keeping up. There was a report 5 minutes ago on AJE and 4 hours ago on google news.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
This precise situation, where no one country has the mandate to interfere in the internal affairs of another, but the international community as a whole does, is what the UN Security Council is supposed to be for. Good thing they haven't even met about Libya yet.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Potrzebie posted:

One thing that could be done would be to sieze assets in western countries and deny entry to that rear end in a top hat and his croonies. Why has that not already been done?

I didn't think he *HAD* any assets in western countries, didn't we already seize them back under Reagon when we blew his airforce apart the first time?

PlantRobot posted:

Then you haven't been keeping up. There was a report 5 minutes ago on AJE and 4 hours ago on google news.

Quite likely, it's a lot to keep up on when I'm already busy.

If they're asking for a no-fly zone, get a UN resolution passed like right the gently caress now and get it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Doccers posted:

I didn't think he *HAD* any assets in western countries, didn't we already seize them back under Reagon when we blew his airforce apart the first time?

Quite likely, it's a lot to keep up on when I'm already busy.

If they're asking for a no-fly zone, get a UN resolution passed like right the gently caress now and get it done.

It's a lot of arguing about rapidly developing events for a busy person.

• Locked thread