Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Holy hell.

AJ English:

quote:

RawyaRageh #Gaddafi says a few words - I'm in #Tripoli, not in Venezuela #Libya
30 seconds ago · reply

RawyaRageh Guest on AJArabic calls #Gaddafi's 10 second appearance a 'sham' #Libya
about 1 minute ago · reply

RawyaRageh #Gaddafi's appearance lasted JUST SECONDS -- appears as an attempt to display he is in #Tripoli
about 1 minute ago · reply

RawyaRageh #Gaddafi appears on state TV now holding umbrella standing outside car.. says inaudible stuff about Venezuela #Libya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

berserker posted:

This picture is much funnier if you imagine that instead of them going in for a handshake, they are in the process of a much more elaborate handshake, and are currently about to do the "backhand slap".

That was the first image that popped in my head - the "Fresh Prince & Jazz" hand slap.

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
I'm not going to say that

farraday posted:

Don't be obtuse. Mubarak wouldn't have done half the things that have happened so far in Egypt. Claiming it is all a power shuffle with nothing changes is just paranoid conspiracy theorizing.

Just because a few concessions have been made doesn't mean the same power brokers aren't running things hth.

Cacatua
Jan 17, 2006

Xandu posted:

I think it was just that short clip saying "hey guys I"m still here, not in Venezuela"

Right, looks like he was on briefly and then the image disappeared.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Mr.Showtime posted:

You lost me here cause you don't know what you're talking about.

You know Mubarak's family's assets are being seized right now and that many of his old corrupted cronies are being tried soon, right?

Mohamad Al Tantawi is definitely a Mubarak man but their relationship wasn't the best over the past few years and Tantawi never really got into politics so he couldn't be counted among his "cronies".

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Mr.Showtime posted:

Just because a few concessions have been made doesn't mean the same power brokers aren't running things hth.

Yes, nothing's changed, you're absolutely right. Well done you spotted the secret conspiracy.

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
I'm not going to say that

farraday posted:

Yes, nothing's changed, you're absolutely right. Well done you spotted the secret conspiracy.

Secret conspiracy?

Tantawi was a Mubarak man and furthermore a military man. The military has been completely entwined with Mubarak and his regime and while certain cronies have been gone after that doesn't mean that some of the original power base is not still running things and looking to protect their interests.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ham posted:

There are about 500,000 Egyptians living and working in Libya who are now being specifically targeted along with Tunisians by Qaddafi's people after his son's speech last night, so that's a pretty serious cause but I don't see the military intervering other than in humanitarian ways. Also 15,000 Egyptians have crossed the border into Egypt today, so far.

Half a million Egyptians in Libya? That's a tremendous amount for a country of six million people!! What is this figure based on, and where are they locationed?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Rock that umbrella.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Nenonen posted:

Half a million Egyptians in Libya? That's a tremendous amount for a country of six million people!! What is this figure based on, and where are they locationed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_diaspora

quote:

An estimated 2.7 million Egyptians abroad contribute actively to the development of their country through remittances (US$ 7.8 in 2009), circulation of human and social capital, as well as investment. Approximately 70% of Egyptian migrants live in Arab countries (923,600 in Saudi Arabia, about 500,000 in Jordan, 332,600 in Libya, and 190,550 in Kuwait with the rest elsewhere in the region) and the remaining 30% are living mostly in Europe and North America (318,000 in the US, 110,000 in Canada and 90,000 in Italy).[1]

based on this: http://www.egypt.iom.int/Doc/IOM%20Migration%20and%20Development%20in%20Egypt%20Facts%20and%20Figures%20(English).pdf

also

http://twitter.com/bencnn/status/39840275790569472

quote:

Egyptian border officials say 15,000 Egyptians crossed Monday from #Libya to #Egypt.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
From @bencnn, inside Libya.

"Leader of anti-Qaddafi movement told me Libyan army in the east has sided with revolt, in consultations with anti-Qaddafi forces. #Libya"

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Nenonen posted:

Well if you have enough time for this PDF...

quote:

Approximately 70% of Egyptian migrants live in Arab countries (923,600 in Saudi Arabia, about 500,000 in Jordan, 332,600 in Libya, and 190,550 in Kuwait with the rest elsewhere in the region) and the remaining 30% are living mostly in Europe and North America (318,000 in the US, 110,000 in Canada and 90,000 in Italy).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptians

The Egyptians in Libya figure is from the 90s and government released statistics show it's increased.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007

Uglycat posted:

That's certainly a direction the western leadership could pursue.

I believe it would be unwise.

But there's no a priori reason they couldn't pursue a different path. Say, one where they respect a population's right to self-determination, but refuse to sit idly by while a military force is slaughtering innocent civilians for daring to speak and peaceably assemble.

There's no reason they couldn't no. Nobody has ever said that. Capital can do a lot of things. They wouldn't, however, because there's no point. It introduces a chance for things to not go your way. Why risk it for the sake of moral obligations that have no hold on you? An election might provide someone friendly to your interests, but that's a lot less likely and a lot less durable than a puppet.

Seriously why are you going into this thinking anything other than "HOW CAN I MAKE THE MOST MONEY. I'VE BEEN MAKING TOP DOLLAR WITH THIS poo poo LET'S KEEP DOING THAT"

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Xandu posted:

Rock that umbrella.

You guys are silly. That there is Carlos Santana. :colbert:

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Xandu posted:

From @bencnn, inside Libya.

"Leader of anti-Qaddafi movement told me Libyan army in the east has sided with revolt, in consultations with anti-Qaddafi forces. #Libya"

oooh poo poo, here we go...

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
That umbrella video is....so bizarre.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I hope this won't mean a full fledged civil war will erupt. That would tremendously suck.

On a less sensitive not, it does create a nice Tom Clancy novel if Libya's WMDs still existed, if they were ever manufactured that is.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Fragrag posted:

I hope this won't mean a full fledged civil war will erupt. That would tremendously suck.

On a less sensitive not, it does create a nice Tom Clancy novel if Libya's WMDs still existed, if they were ever manufactured that is.

A civil war actually requires two sides.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
"I went to talk to the young people in Green Square. I wanted to spend the night with them, but it started raining. I want you to know that I am in Tripoli, not in Venezuela. Do not believe the imperialist media."

-A soon-to-be-dead man

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

Fragrag posted:

Dismantled by the US/UK and IAEA in 2003, I believe. Lucky thing to, or Qaddafi would be nuking crowds of unarmed protesters to maintain his hold on power.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Suntory BOSS posted:

Dismantled by the US/UK and IAEA in 2003, I believe. Lucky thing to, or Qaddafi would be nuking crowds of unarmed protesters to maintain his hold on power.

His WMDs only consisted of chemical weapons. Your point still holds: he'd have gladly gassed all of Tripoli to hold on to power.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Syphilicious! posted:

There's no reason they couldn't no. Nobody has ever said that. Capital can do a lot of things. They wouldn't, however, because there's no point. It introduces a chance for things to not go your way. Why risk it for the sake of moral obligations that have no hold on you? An election might provide someone friendly to your interests, but that's a lot less likely and a lot less durable than a puppet.

Seriously why are you going into this thinking anything other than "HOW CAN I MAKE THE MOST MONEY. I'VE BEEN MAKING TOP DOLLAR WITH THIS poo poo LET'S KEEP DOING THAT"

Right. They've not gotten involved (thus far) because 1) it's all happening so fast, and they need time to react, and 2) because there's no real advantage in intervening.

But that doesn't mean that IF they intervene, they are doing so for purely and naively selfish reasons. IF they intervene, they've clearly decided it is in their self-interest to do so. Not disputing that.

But the assertion that the only thing they would possibly view as being 'worth it' is to seize control of resources and dominate the people is absurd. There are plenty of other (self-interested) motivations that nations could pursue that would lead to intervention in /loving war crimes/.

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?

Suntory BOSS posted:

if by nukes you mean mustard gas then yeah

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

The Brown Menace posted:

A civil war actually requires two sides.

The tweet specifies the military forces in the east, which I assume isn't the whole Libyan military.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Fragrag posted:

The tweet specifies the military forces in the east, which I assume isn't the whole Libyan military.

It's also not his personal force or hired mercenaries.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Toplowtech posted:

If you speak french, you can watch the current French ambassador in Tunisia (yeah the one who insulted the Tunisian people) here, defending Gaddafi on french Television a few years ago, it's quite disgusting ("Gaddafi has changed!"). Apparently, he was quite proud that Gaddafi was calling him "my son".

Don't forget

I have a feeling there's going to be some hilarious back-peddeling in the next few weeks

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 22, 2011

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007

Uglycat posted:

Right. They've not gotten involved (thus far) because 1) it's all happening so fast, and they need time to react, and 2) because there's no real advantage in intervening.

But that doesn't mean that IF they intervene, they are doing so for purely and naively selfish reasons. IF they intervene, they've clearly decided it is in their self-interest to do so. Not disputing that.

But the assertion that the only thing they would possibly view as being 'worth it' is to seize control of resources and dominate the people is absurd. There are plenty of other (self-interested) motivations that nations could pursue that would lead to intervention in /loving war crimes/.

If there was U.S. military intervention then Libyan atrocities would probably stop but it's fairly likely that we would simply replace them with our own troops randomly shooting civilians and it's a safe bet that we would also ensure a pro-Western government developed.

What the hell else motivations are going to prompt intervention? 9/11 wasn't even enough to get full support for the invasion of Iraq, public perception of that war was comparatively negative. What could possibly make the U.S. think it should get involved besides the same old motivations that have always driven its actions?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

I have a feeling there's going to be some hilarious back-peddeling in the next few weeks

I think in most cases, it's just that most people had no idea he was capable of this. It's like you have an annoying kid that you babysit, and you expect him to annoy you and create tedious problems, but you never expect him to go outside for five minutes and return with the neighbour's disembodied head.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Syphilicious! posted:

If there was U.S. military intervention then Libyan atrocities would probably stop but it's fairly likely that we would simply replace them with our own troops randomly shooting civilians and it's a safe bet that we would also ensure a pro-Western government developed.

What the hell else motivations are going to prompt intervention? 9/11 wasn't even enough to get full support for the invasion of Iraq, public perception of that war was comparatively negative. What could possibly make the U.S. think it should get involved besides the same old motivations that have always driven its actions?

Well, bombing the poo poo out of Libya is sort of a national pastime. Our parents did it, our grandparents did it, our great-great grandparents did it...

Mr. Safe
Apr 18, 2009
"I just wanted to tell everyone that I'm not in Venezuela anymore - I mean! Uhhhh... THIS INTERVIEW'S OVER!"

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

ChaosSamusX posted:

I think in most cases, it's just that most people had no idea he was capable of this. It's like you have an annoying kid that you babysit, and you expect him to annoy you and create tedious problems, but you never expect him to go outside for five minutes and return with the neighbour's disembodied head.

I suppose that might be true.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Well, bombing the poo poo out of Libya is sort of a national pastime. Our parents did it, our grandparents did it, our great-great grandparents did it...

*ring ring* Yeah hey Lizzie. Guess what. It's time for round three

Shandy
Aug 15, 2007

by angerbot
a

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I'll never look at Mugabe and Chavez the same again.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I'll never look at Mugabe and Chavez the same again.

Umm the goatman is white not black or latin american. That isn't either dictator that's just a random dude.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

VikingSkull posted:

From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of... remind me, where again?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
Is that Gaddafi recently? This looks to be stressing him out.

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

"...by any means necessary."

Shandy posted:

[Image of what anti-aircraft ammo can do to an rear end in a top hat]

Simply BRUTAL. :(

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

betaraywil posted:

From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of... remind me, where again?

probably Benghazi this time

with gold rings on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Shandy posted:

Terribleness

I agree, that is an excellent summation of the Gaddafi administration.

• Locked thread