Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Also lets be honest Iraq has never been about or ever will be about freedom for the Iraqi people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Lareous posted:

I agree. The Egypt thing was sort-of-but-not-really-surprising, but the ripple effect has been goddamned amazing. I'd never have thought people would have stood up to Muammar al-Gaddafi.
It would be funny if a far-away non-muslim country would revolt just after al-Gaddafi is removed from power. A country like Cuba.

nice mattimer
Mar 3, 2008

the wind that shakes the buttcheeks

Toplowtech posted:

It would be funny if a far-away non-muslim country would revolt just after al-Gaddafi is removed from power. A country like Cuba.
I think you've been roped in by American propaganda re: Cuba

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Suntory BOSS posted:

It just occurred to me that these protests would certainly have taken down Saddam Hussein by now, had the US not invaded.

It makes the loss of trillions of dollars and several hundred lives that much more appalling, knowing that with a little historical foresight we could have let the Iraqi people pursue their own freedom (likely with far less bloodshed and probably a more stable, less corrupt end result).

I honestly doubt that Saddam would've gone down that easily, for the same reason that Syria hasn't risen up in any real way. Saddam would've responded in a manner that makes Qaddafi look like a kitten, and would've had the advantage of the ability to stir up sectarian strife that the King of Bahrain is doing (telling the mostly-Sunni government/military that they will lose all their privileges and power if the mostly-Shia protestors take over). Saddam clearly proved over the years that he had no compunction to resort to truly ghastly tactics (Halajba is a pretty good analogy to what Qaddafi's doing now, and having helicopters mow down protestors was pretty much patented by his response to the post-Gulf War uprisings).

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Toplowtech posted:

Of all places, why Cuba? I could see a place in Central America maybe. It's more likely to spread to Bumfuck Sub-Sahara Africa.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Mattimer posted:

From like 10 years ago. Cuba's actually doing well on it's own last I heard.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Suntory BOSS posted:

It just occurred to me that these protests would certainly have taken down Saddam Hussein by now, had the US not invaded.

It makes the loss of trillions of dollars and several hundred lives that much more appalling, knowing that with a little historical foresight we could have let the Iraqi people pursue their own freedom (likely with far less bloodshed and probably a more stable, less corrupt end result).

Yes, if you can neatly shoehorn that situation into this one, that would be correct. You have to consider what started these waves of protests. Then the cable leaks before that? What started those? The cables would have definitely been different if there were no invasions. What if the US never to the mideast in such an intrusive manner? Then what?

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Suntory BOSS posted:

That isn't necessarily true at all. Just because Iraq is an Arab country doesn't mean Hussein's Iraq was anything like Egypt or Tunisia.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
At this point I really really really want the united nations to intervene. Please stop this massacre. Please!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mattimer posted:

No, i just want the American anti-Cuban propaganda, the embargo and the Cuba-related politic in Florida to stop.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Suntory BOSS posted:

You're assuming that everything would have happened the same way over the last decade had those wars not taken place. You can't look at past events, remove them, but still have all the effects they caused take place. We have no way of knowing what would have occurred if those wars had not taken place. Everything could have happened exactly the same, minus the wars, or it could be completely different. The only way to stop the wars would be to have Gore be president, and we have no way of knowing how he would have helped or impeded the causes of the protests. The US would probably have a republican president right now had the economic crisis occurred while Gore was president, and we have no way of knowing what stupid poo poo they would have done to "help" the protesters.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

Even if Saddam mowed people down by the thousands, the death toll would still pale in comparison to that of the invasion. Worse case scenario would be if he stirred up sectarian strife and led the country towards a civil war, but that actually happened with the invasion anyway.

I don't want to start a derail for a passing "it would have been nice" observation though, especially since there's no way to accurately assess what might have been.

tere
Oct 26, 2010
I love how the markets all go. Hey there is unrest in the mid-east. Time to jack up the price of oil!!!

Frackmire
Jan 26, 2010

WHY DO THEY
HATE US WHEN
WE'RE SO GOOD?

Times posted:

At this point I really really really want the united nations to intervene. Please stop this massacre. Please!

Absolutely, but I think that it should be NATO that goes in. They are far more effective at military action, then after things calm down the UN can send in the Peace troopers.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

tere posted:

I love how the markets all go. Hey there is unrest in the mid-east. Time to jack up the price of oil!!!

The price movement is actually rather rational in this case because Libya and Algeria are rather large oil suppliers and I would not be surprised if Gadaffi begins lighting his wells on fire in a final desperate gamble.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

MJB posted:

You're right. And as for The Colonel himself, even he's been inconsistent in spelling it when he's occasionally signed things in English.

Yeah, not only can transliteration be tricky, but it doesn't help that his name is pronounced several different ways in Arabic.

Patter Song posted:

"I went to talk to the young people in Green Square. I wanted to spend the night with them, but it started raining. I want you to know that I am in Tripoli, not in Venezuela. Do not believe the imperialist media."

-A soon-to-be-dead man

I think he actually referred to them as the "dog" media. :iceburn:

Anyone have a clue why those fighters went to Malta rather than Tunisia or Egypt?

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
I really doubt that UN intervention is coming.

Where are my local idiots getting the whole "this is step one of establishing a global Islamic caliphate" thing from?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Giant Squid posted:

Where are my local idiots getting the whole "this is step one of establishing a global Islamic caliphate" thing from?

Glenn Beck probably. Seriously.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Scorchy posted:

I'm pretty sure Iran was announcing the protests/revolt in Egypt was an "Islamic" movement/revolt/uprising. These two entities together in this endeavor makes me curious in a way I've not thought about previously.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

SauceNinja posted:

I'm pretty sure Iran was announcing the protests/revolt in Egypt was an "Islamic" movement/revolt/uprising. These two entities together in this endeavor makes me curious in a way I've not thought about previously.

That's only because Iran's trying to deflect attention away from the suppression of their own protesters.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Giant Squid posted:

Scorchy posted:

Glenn Beck's official position is that these riots are caused by an alliance of the savage Caliphate-seeking Musselman horde, the Shadowy (totally not Jewish) Cabal of International Bankers led by George Soros (Nazi Jew), and the ever-present Neo-Soviet Communists in an attempt to overthrow friendly dictatorships and DESTROY AMERICA!!!!!!@!

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 22, 2011

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Frackmire posted:

Absolutely, but I think that it should be NATO that goes in. They are far more effective at military action, then after things calm down the UN can send in the Peace troopers.

While NATO is better at military actions, I don't think it would take NATO levels of coordination/ability to drive out the mercenaries and loyalist scum that are causing the trouble. Even if it was united (and it thankfully is not), Libya's army is not even close to a probable threat to any UN peacekeeping force.

Regardless, I can't help but feel that inaction on the part of the West is inexcusable. When a military begins air strikes on its own people... :mad:

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Times posted:

Oh to be young and full of such youthful idealism.
:angel:

Alex Otextin
Jan 24, 2010

Big Time Hockey Coach!

de_dust posted:

You win this thread! Spot on.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Slantedfloors posted:

Glenn Beck's official position is that these riots are caused by an alliance of the savage Caliphate-seeking Musselman horde, the Shadowy (totally not Jewish) Cabal of International Bankers led by George Soros (Nazi Jew), and the ever-present Neo-Soviet Communists in an attempt to overthrow friendly dictatorships and DESTROY AMERICA!!!!!!@!

I hope your serious because this is loving awesome. You or whomever wrote that should write speeches used to confuse people. It a fun word puzzle!

SauceNinja fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 22, 2011

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

SauceNinja posted:

I hope your serious because this is loving awesome. You or whomever wrote that should write speeches used to confuse people. It a fun word puzzle!
To be fair, I left out some of the more nebulous conspiracy connections. Did you know that Code Pink, a San Francisco women's pacifist group is secretly working TO BRING ABOUT THE NEXT CALIPHATE? READ YOUR BIBLE, PEOPLE! IT'S IN REVELATIONS!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Jesus loving christ, I knew Gaddafi was a nutjob but loving BOMBING PEOPLE INDISCRIMINATELY? gently caress man, talk about ratcheting up the crazy.

I hope that, when the Libyans have ousted this prick, that they capture him and let him rot in a lovely cell for the rest of his miserable life. Killing him would be far too kind.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Gonkish posted:

Jesus loving christ, I knew Gaddafi was a nutjob but loving BOMBING PEOPLE INDISCRIMINATELY? gently caress man, talk about ratcheting up the crazy.

I hope that, when the Libyans have ousted this prick, that they capture him and let him rot in a lovely cell for the rest of his miserable life. Killing him would be far too kind.

Tear off all his toenails, cut his flesh and force him to bathe in a tub of hydrogen peroxide till his skin sloughs off. Then dry and salt him like jerky. What other horrible tortures can we imagine for the worst of our planet?

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

"...by any means necessary."

Sivias posted:

Tear off all his toenails, cut his flesh and force him to bathe in a tub of hydrogen peroxide till his skin sloughs off. Then dry and salt him like jerky. What other horrible tortures can we imagine for the worst of our planet?

00:00 to 00:54.

Edit: But then again, he's probably ordered a few of these in his day. He'd see them coming.

MJB fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 22, 2011

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

de_dust posted:

Edit: why the gently caress is his finger on the trigger?

Alex Otextin
Jan 24, 2010

Big Time Hockey Coach!

The-Mole posted:

It's Africa

tere
Oct 26, 2010

Giant Squid posted:

I really doubt that UN intervention is coming.

The UN is useless. How long did they allow the massacre of the tutsi at the hands of the hutus.

Alex Otextin
Jan 24, 2010

Big Time Hockey Coach!

tere posted:

The UN is useless. How long did they allow the massacre of the tutsi at the hands of the hutus.

They did nothing.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Yaos posted:

You're assuming that everything would have happened the same way over the last decade had those wars not taken place. You can't look at past events, remove them, but still have all the effects they caused take place. We have no way of knowing what would have occurred if those wars had not taken place. Everything could have happened exactly the same, minus the wars, or it could be completely different. The only way to stop the wars would be to have Gore be president, and we have no way of knowing how he would have helped or impeded the causes of the protests. The US would probably have a republican president right now had the economic crisis occurred while Gore was president, and we have no way of knowing what stupid poo poo they would have done to "help" the protesters.

I'm glad someone made this point so I didn't have to. Positing any counterfactual as some sort of cautionary tale is really bad history.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Sivias posted:

gently caress torture, there's no reason to debase ourselves. Just throw him in a cell with Never Going to Give You Up on infinite loop at a low volume.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

The-Mole posted:

gently caress torture, there's no reason to debase ourselves. Just throw him in a cell with Never Going to Give You Up on infinite loop at a low volume.

There's always this
NWS
http://www.toxicjunction.com/get.asp?i=V3860
NWS

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I highly doubt Gaddafi will be in UN custody.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

tere posted:

Maybe France will set up a safe zone for the Gadaffi loyalists once they start to really lose like in Rwanda.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

tere posted:

As mentioned, expected since some of these countries like Libya are big oil exporters. It's things like this that might make events spiral into more protests once the increased oil cost seeps into added transportation costs for goods. Food supply and cost has been one of the major problems in many of these protested regions it seems, and increased food prices can't help anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal

The-Mole posted:

I think it may be on the trigger guard.

• Locked thread