Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

s0beit posted:

Probably already said but i have no idea in what time frame it occurred but does anyone know what happened to "Republic: The Revolution"?

I was going to try it then next i looked it was removed from GOG..
"Rebellion Studios has contacted us and asked that we temporarily take Republic: The Revolution down from GOG. If you have already purchased this title, you will still be able to download the game from your bookshelf while it's unlisted from our catalog. We’ve been told the situation should be resolved shortly. Sorry for anyone if this was going to be what you blew your next paycheck on. We'll keep you informed as we know more."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Thompsons posted:

Believe me, nothing of value was lost when they took it down.

That's not true. There's some gem game ideas in there. It's a ramshackle experience but it's unique and worth playing. I have no idea if it still holds up, however.

Did they yank Hostile Waters the other week, too? Quite a few things disappear without notice, it seems.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Looks like it. Pity, that's a good game.

They should at least announce it when it happens, I think. Cuts down on confusion and gives people impetus to mail the publishers asking "what the hell?"

Edit: from the GOG forums:

quote:

Let me assuage your ill-omened feeling. Interplay is involved in a kerfluffle over the rights, so they have asked every digital distributor--which includes GOG--to delist the game. Once things have settled down, we'll look into offering Hostile Waters for sale again.

Everyone who's purchased Hostile Waters will still have it on his or her shelf and will continue to be able to download it as desired. We're sorry if this has ruined your plans for a Hostile Waters-themed LAN holiday party or whatnot, but we don't know yet whether the title will be removed from GOG or not in the end, so we haven't made a formal announcement.

We'll keep you updated as we know more.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 14, 2011

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like how they're sarcastic about it. "Video game X has been removed because business sucks and is ruining everyone's fun. I'm sorry if you wanted to throw your daughter's college fund at this game but we'll tell you when it's up again."

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

I like how they're sarcastic about it. "Video game X has been removed because business sucks and is ruining everyone's fun. I'm sorry if you wanted to throw your daughter's college fund at this game but we'll tell you when it's up again."

They are some cheeky bastards, which I like. That is until they pull a game I own!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

synertia posted:

They are some cheeky bastards, which I like. That is until they pull a game I own!

If you already own it, what difference will it make? They're not pulling games from the download list, only from the purchase catalog. If you have already bought something you'll still be able to download it.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Tropico Reloaded 60% off!
http://www.gog.com/en/news/one_day_promo_tropico_reloaded_60_off/0

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

(That's $4.) Worth it for the soundtrack alone.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Aye, but what about the games themselves. How does what's on sale currently compare to Tropico 3? Any drastic changes or so? (not factoring price that is, I just wanna know what I'm getting into)

Edit: VVV It's not on sale. I was just inquiring to how different it is than Tropico 3. i.e. is it basically the same game just on an older engine or somesuch? I like what I see about Tropico 3, I just don't care for the current none sale price of it, and I figure if I'm going to take a stab at a Tropico game, $3 isn't bad, but if it's different from the experience I'm anticipating then it'd be a waste of a few bux.

Reworded my sentence for more sense! My bad.

Bats fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 16, 2011

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bats posted:

Aye, but what about the games themselves. How does it compare Tropico 3 that's on sale currently? Any drastic changes or so? (not factoring price that is, I just wanna know what I'm getting into)

Where is Tropico 3 on sale?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Dark Reign 2 is now on GOG for $5.99.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
I would not recommend buying it over the original, which is still $9.99 + expansion, unfortunately. In its era it did the early 3D RTS thing well enough, but there's not really anything else notable about it, and it's now predictably dated.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 17, 2011

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Blodskur posted:

Dark Reign 2 is now on GOG for $5.99.

Surely there's a reason it's almost half the price of the first game.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Surely there's a reason it's almost half the price of the first game.

I never played either personally, but I do recall my buddies who loved DR1 being quite let down by DR2.

Dunno specifically why, but the fans seemed to give up on it fast.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

I never played either personally, but I do recall my buddies who loved DR1 being quite let down by DR2.

Dunno specifically why, but the fans seemed to give up on it fast.

DR2 is nothing like DR1 except for some of the storyline.

I kind of liked it, but I usually enjoy every RTS that's not terrible.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
They didn't release the soundtrack to DR2? WHAT. Blasphemy!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

http://www.gog.com/en/news/select_strategy_first_games_50_off/0

Select Strategy First games 50% off:

Disciples: Sacred Lands Gold
Jagged Alliance
Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
Port Royale 2

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Jagged Alliance
Port Royale 2

Nice! Finally a sale that doesn't require you to buy everything to get something better than 30%. I hope they start to do that more on games I actually want.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Jagged Alliance
Port Royale 2

Never played Disciples but the rest of those are drat good games. Definitely worth snapping up if you haven't already.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
1.) The Strategy First sale prices are now permanent. Yay, prices!
2.) The Pinball Gold Pack (Pinball Dreams 1 and 2, Pinball Illusions, Pinball Fantasies and Pinball Mania) is now out for :10bux:.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Ahh, those early PC pinball games take me back! I remember playing the old Dreams series and beyond back in the day, along with classics like Epic Pinball, Extreme Pinball, Absolute Pinball, and countless others!

I guess you're getting 5 games for $10, but I think 6 would have been an easier sell.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Psychonauts is $2.50 today only.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Psychonauts is $2.50 today only.

I have heard one thing about Psychonauts, and that's "It's really good" I also know it involves a Meat Circus (Is that like a sausage festival?) that everyone hates.

What is it?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The General posted:

I have heard one thing about Psychonauts, and that's "It's really good" I also know it involves a Meat Circus (Is that like a sausage festival?) that everyone hates.

What is it?

Essentially it's a Legend of Zelda-lite style platformer with really great writing that takes place in a summer camp for psychics. The meat circus is the last level which has a sudden HUGE difficulty spike which is why people hate it.

It's an absolute steal for $2.50; worth it just for the characters alone.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The General posted:

What is it?

Honestly it's slightly above average as a platformer but the humor, writing, setting, and cast of quirky characters keep it interesting from start to finish. If you're a mega collector who had to get every single drat thing in Rare's platformers you might want to stay away because it's impossible to get 100% without losing your mind (it's not necessary at all but the game does track it). I feel like they added the dancing, disappearing, and quickly moving collectibles as a troll move against obsessive players.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I feel the platforming is really solid. The abilities you unlock over time are great; I love rolling everywhere on my psychic ball. As mentioned, humor, writing setting and cast all make it interesting, but another area where it's just spectacular is level design. There's one or two misses depending on your tastes, but the creativity and trope-busting is astounding. No fire, water and ice levels here.

I'm going to rebuy it for the GOG.com bonuses :3:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's awfully tempting but I need to start actually playing the games I buy. I'll probably give in and buy it tonight anyway.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

C-Euro posted:

It's awfully tempting but I need to start actually playing the games I buy. I'll probably give in and buy it tonight anyway.

It isn't an "oh this is cheap, might get a few hours of fun out of this" game. Psychonauts is probably one of the best games released this past decade, and though there are other good 3D platformers, there's nothing that matches its setting and style of humor.

Also it's got probably the single best level in video game history that also happens to be populated almost entirely by character voiced by Steven Jay Blum :swoon:

If you don't have the money, don't buy it. But it doesn't go on sale often, so even if you've got a huge backlog, I'd say jump on it. You'll get around to it eventually and you'll be very pleased when you do.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Also it's got probably the single best level in video game history that also happens to be populated almost entirely by character voiced by Steven Jay Blum :swoon:

Which best level ever do you mean? I can think of at least three that could be called that.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Also you've got Richard Horvitz doing the voice of your player character. In one of the only "serious" roles I've ever heard him do, his voice is still ear candy to me.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Dr Snofeld posted:

Which best level ever do you mean? I can think of at least three that could be called that.

The godzilla one? Or the Milkman? the games as whole is awesome.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
The only reason I could imagine not getting Psychonauts is if you already have a console copy.
It doesn't work very well with keyboard + mouse. At least in my experience.

Still worth it.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I bought Psychonauts not too long after it came out on discs, lost the discs, and have been looking for an excuse to buy it on GOG. Once I actually made Visa let the charge through, this is the excuse I was looking for.

It's seriously a great game - like all Double Fine games, it has a few niggling little flaws, but the world, characters, and art make it so very worth it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

zachol posted:

The only reason I could imagine not getting Psychonauts is if you already have a console copy.

Still worth it.

I had it on PS2 and still bought it again on GOG. The PS2 port is atrocious. Playable, yes, but buggy as hell.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
See and I still loved it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dr Snofeld posted:

I had it on PS2 and still bought it again on GOG. The PS2 port is atrocious. Playable, yes, but buggy as hell.

That explains the issues I had with the rental, how is it on PC with a controller ?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Dr Snofeld posted:

Milkman. Godzilla and Napoleon are close seconds, though.

zachol posted:

I thought it was fine, though I'm retarded with controllers and every time I put one in my hand end up playing like I have Parkinson's, so there's not much to compare it to.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

mllaneza posted:

That explains the issues I had with the rental, how is it on PC with a controller ?

Actually, I'm wondering the same thing. Does the X360 pad work here?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Essentially it's a Legend of Zelda-lite style platformer with really great writing that takes place in a summer camp for psychics. The meat circus is the last level which has a sudden HUGE difficulty spike which is why people hate it.

It's an absolute steal for $2.50; worth it just for the characters alone.

Meat Circus isn't really hard it just has one incredibly bullshit jump that will make you restart the segment over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dr Snofeld posted:

The Milkman Conspiracy of course.