Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

GanjamonII posted:

Part of the reason I'm asking is cause I'm torn 50/50 between a VFR 800 or similar sports tourer (which is cheaper for full coverage than my SV???) and a CBR/GSXR/ninja 600 SS bike cause they just look so insanely fun. Problem is if I get full coverage on a 600 my insurance will go up 200+%, so tempted to just get liability on a ~4-5k bike but it just doesn't sit quite right with me for some reason..
No reason you can't have fun on a VFR :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

-Inu- posted:

No reason you can't have fun on a VFR :)

Which reminds me, I really want a loving VFR400.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Z3n posted:

Anything of the appropriate weight is fine for street use. Half of them don't actually have the viscosity they claim anyways.

http://www.mediaturbo.com/clients/marzocchi/forkoilviscosity.html

I've seen a comprehensive chart floating around with the measured viscosity of fork oils and you're right: a lot aren't anywhere near what they advertise.

Retsalb posted:

Anything that has the right viscosity, pressure and temperature requirements and is compatible with your forks materials (metals/seals/gaskets) will do.

However do not mix silicon based fluids with dino-liquids. Generally flush, tear down and clean your fork before changing to another fork fluid.

As a result of my perverted preference for French poo poo-cars, I have an uncountable stock of unopened LHM hydraulics cans around, and that's what my forks get after a tear-down. Works amazingly.

Edit: I hope you're not asking about this, because you need to "top up". A fork is a fill-and-forget system. Much like brakes: if you're loosing level, something is wrong. Glorious rebuild-time ahead.

I'm looking at changing the damping characteristics of the current forks. I've been told they are underdamped and am playing around with dialing them in. Plus I've got a few seasons on the current fluid and it's probably getting close to played out with the poo poo I put my bike through. No leaks here!

I believe the OEM Showa SS8 fluid I put back in them is dino based, as is the new stuff I bought over the weekend.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Which reminds me, I really want a loving VFR400.

The 400s are OK if you're with other 400s, but as I understand you're pretty quick, you'd probably get bored with being held up in the corners and constantly blitzed down the straights.

Even when you go right round the outside of a 1000 (or hell, a recent 120 crank hp 600), they'll still be back past you halfway down the straight. More usual is having someone's back wheel reversing towards you as you approach the apex, which is just a "fuuuuuuck youuuuuuuuuu" experience after the initial amusement wears off. You basically have to pass them in the first half of the corner or you won't have enough drive to make the pass stick. Stock-ish 400s unfortunately make an SV650 look like a cheater bike. The front end geometry of the i4 versions at least is also pretty 80s-tastic. They don't feel like your average modern sportsbike until you're on the throttle at full lean.

That said, the sheer plant-your-knee and go simplicity is pretty cool - it's like riding a minimoto in terms of lower limb to tarmac interface opportunities.

Knots
Feb 28, 2010
I am buying a motorcycle. Well, I’m taking a safety class and then another safety class and THEN if I don’t think I’m going to kill myself I’m buying a motorcycle.

The plan is to use it for road trips, starting with short 2-3 hour trips and working up to riding all day and camping out of my saddlebags.

Conventional wisdom is that you need a larger bike for long distances and carrying poo poo, but conventional wisdom is also that beginners need a smaller bike. I don’t particularly want to buy one and have to sell the drat thing in less than a year to “upgrade”.

Also I am not big. 5’7”/125lbs. Am I really stuck with a teeny bike? I know I can’t handle a 2000cc 800lb monster (as much as I think they are awesome), but is something in the 500cc range really going to kill me in five minutes even if I’m not stupid and keep it at moderate speeds? (I do not go fast. Fast SCARES THE PISS OUT OF ME. But just because the bike CAN go fast doesn’t mean I HAVE to go fast, does it?)

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Knots posted:

The plan is to use it for road trips, starting with short 2-3 hour trips and working up to riding all day and camping out of my saddlebags.

Conventional wisdom is that you need a larger bike for long distances and carrying poo poo, but conventional wisdom is also that beginners need a smaller bike. I don’t particularly want to buy one and have to sell the drat thing in less than a year to “upgrade”.

Also I am not big. 5’7”/125lbs. Am I really stuck with a teeny bike? I know I can’t handle a 2000cc 800lb monster (as much as I think they are awesome), but is something in the 500cc range really going to kill me in five minutes even if I’m not stupid and keep it at moderate speeds? (I do not go fast. Fast SCARES THE PISS OUT OF ME. But just because the bike CAN go fast doesn’t mean I HAVE to go fast, does it?)

You're correct in thinking that the conventional wisdom is incorrect here. I've seen trip reports of week+ long journeys undertaken on everything from a Honda CT110 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460631) to z3n's brilliant idea of going a thousand miles (I think?) on a DRZ400sm. It really comes down to what you want to ride. Short of a 50cc pocket-bike, most anything can be adapted and altered to fit a tourer's needs.

However, that's not to say that there aren't bikes that're better suited than others. It would be easier to make recommendations if you post up some bikes you were thinking about, as far as style, seating position, and capabilities go (can safely reach highway speeds, sporty enough for backroad thrashes, comfortable enough for superslabbing down the highway, etc.).

And as far as the last question goes, it's best to think in terms of horsepower and not displacement. An 1800cc cruiser can, and usually will be, much slower than a 600cc supersport. Weight and engine characteristics have a lot to do with power, not just displacement. 70hp is widely accepted as the upper limit of HP for newer riders, and only then if you're responsible and not prone to squiddy tendencies :v:

edit: For what it's worth, I started out on a Ninja 500, and while it had enough power for me to drive around like my pants were on fire, it definitely was not insanely overpowered or anything.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 22, 2011

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Knots posted:

These guys made it clear in 1994 that you don't need a big bike to do a big journey: http://www.tokyotolondon.com/ :). There is so much more to a big trip than the bike, so don't buy one on the basis that you're 'going to do a trip someday'.

that means we come back to beginner bikes and why the need for distinction, margin of error, versatility, etc.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I don't get you motorcycle camper types. The last thing I want to do after spending hours and hours in the saddle is sleep at a campsite. There are numerous cheap hotels out there. Do your back a favor and sleep on a bed.

You can tour on anything. I went from Detroit to Nashville on a Yamaha-R6.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
So when I have my BMW K75 running on the centerstand with the transmission in neutral, the rear wheel spins, it can be made to stop spinning with my hand relatively easily, is this normal?

infraboy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 22, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

infraboy posted:

So when I have my BMW K75 running on the centerstand with the transmission in neutral, the rear wheel spins, it can be made to stop spinning with my relatively easily, is this normal?

That's just drag on the clutch from the oil, it's perfectly normal.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

wilkenm posted:

I am now the happy owner of a new 2011 Triumph Street Triple R.

It was my first time buying a new bike, and I think I did all right. I more or less paid sticker price, but no freight or setup fees. Also picked up the extended warranty and a couple accessories at close to cost. I should be picking it up sometime this week (once the rain stops in Los Angeles).

Congrats, fellow LA triumph buddy. Mine is in shambles right now, but once the new one gets chosen, let's ride sometime.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Even if it's a dry clutch?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Crayvex posted:

I don't get you motorcycle camper types. The last thing I want to do after spending hours and hours in the saddle is sleep at a campsite. There are numerous cheap hotels out there. Do your back a favor and sleep on a bed.

It's cheaper, more adventurous and sleeping on a mat with a sleeping bag is comfortable enough since I don't have old rickety joints. So there. :colbert:

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Crayvex posted:

Or get a Hennessey hammock from Mountain Equipment Co-Op which is what real campers do. Might want a water filtration device if you're hardcore too.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Crayvex posted:

Also, my sleeping bag isn't covered in other people's semen. :colbert:

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

MotoMind posted:

Also, my sleeping bag isn't covered in other people's semen. :colbert:

I'd just like to point out he doesn't speak for all of us...

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Well that's also a kind of adventure I guess.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Knots posted:

I am buying a motorcycle. Well, I’m taking a safety class and then another safety class and THEN if I don’t think I’m going to kill myself I’m buying a motorcycle.

sv650!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I'd just like to point out he doesn't speak for all of us...

Tsaven alt account spotted

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Knots posted:

XT225, cheap as hell, capable of highway speeds, great little trail bike good stock racks for putting a bit of camping gear on it. Low seat height.

When you get up to doing multi-day trips or longer portions of interstate you may want to change to a higher displacement bike or just ride more in Mexico or other countries where people travel at a lower rate of speed.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Saga posted:

Tsaven alt account spotted

Haha, whoa there! That there is fighting words if I remember his story right.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I bought a '91 Bandit 400 last summer and rode it occasionally. I've had a blast with it, but I have a problem with how loud its muffler is.

I hope this isn't sacrilege to bring up, but is there a relatively cheap way to quiet it down? Its got an aftermarket muffler on it of course, pictured below:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

I emailed Yoshimura with pictures asking if they could I.D. it but they said it was old enough they didn't have any data on it.

I know I could try to find a stock exhaust and then get it re-jetted, but is there a simpler (cheaper) way? I've seen inserts available for some of Yoshi's off-road mufflers to get them street legal, but is it possible something like that exists for mine?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
You can certainly use a generic insert, secured by drilling the tip for a little bolt. Try searching for "DB killer".

Honestly, the steel Yosh USA cans, at least of that generation, tended to be heavier than the stockers and produce an inferior power curve. You would be losing precisely nothing putting any road legal used e-bay can on that bike, including an original Suzook item if you can find one.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I bought a '91 Bandit 400 last summer and rode it occasionally. I've had a blast with it, but I have a problem with how loud its muffler is.

I hope this isn't sacrilege to bring up, but is there a relatively cheap way to quiet it down? Its got an aftermarket muffler on it of course, pictured below:

I emailed Yoshimura with pictures asking if they could I.D. it but they said it was old enough they didn't have any data on it.

I know I could try to find a stock exhaust and then get it re-jetted, but is there a simpler (cheaper) way? I've seen inserts available for some of Yoshi's off-road mufflers to get them street legal, but is it possible something like that exists for mine?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Have you more pics of that bandit? i think i recognise it from the old Banditalley forums.

Id advise you to repack the exhaust, all you have to do is drill out those rivets on the ends and take off the end caps. I did on my SV and it made a big difference.

If thats not enough then get a dB killer insert. I really cant stress enough that if this bike is running ok (apart from being loud) then leave the carbs the gently caress alone.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Quick query in case we have anyone with recent Honda knowledge.

My C-ABS Hornet (07) has been laid up for a couple of weeks while I was in France snowboarding. Riding it to work the ABS warning light on the speedo (the one which comes on under 5mph) is coming on apparently at random for a few seconds and then going off again. The bike stops fine, although the front pads are nearly done.

Anyone know if this is a feature or a bug? It seems "random", so I assumed it was an electrical issue. But not sure if it's a recognised issue with Honda ABS (this will be the C-ABS as used on the Blackbird, VFR etc. and maybe the last us-model "599"(?)), or an indication of a specific problem (i.e. does it suggest a particular failure mode).

Don Music
Jun 20, 2008
Some questions from a soon-to-be bike rider.

How well do leather jackets cope in the situations where you have to ride in rain wearing one?

And how well do bikes themselves cope with rain? When I get a bike I'll have to be leaving it out in the open.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
A bike is fine sitting out in the rain, but for your peace of mind you probably want to buy a cover. They're not very expensive.

As for the jacket I don't know, it depends on the leather. If it's a real riding jacket e.g. not Wilson leathers it should do fine. If it's going to be a habit you should get something that is waterproof. Otherwise the occasional shower is going to be a nuisance, but the jacket isn't going to fall apart or anything.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Don Music posted:

Some questions from a soon-to-be bike rider.

How well do leather jackets cope in the situations where you have to ride in rain wearing one?

And how well do bikes themselves cope with rain? When I get a bike I'll have to be leaving it out in the open.

Yeah, if you're stopped under a tropical downpour for an hour or touring on a highway/motorway at 80mph for an entire day, get out the paddles (metaphorically and not the up poo poo creek kind) for any non-rainproof leathers.

If you're riding through drizzle at 60mph for half an hour, no effect at all. Hang it up somewhere dry and it's fine. I have a half-and-half jacket but usually use my leather trousery bits for all but the very heaviest and shittiest rainy commutes.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have a leather jacket and pants (from Halvarssons) that are advertised as waterproof and have a membrane inside. I can ride through the monsoon, the leather gets soaked and heavy but I'm dry on the inside. Mostly. Some drops some through the neck, some parts of the arm is wearing and the fly also leaks leaving me with a rather embarrassing wet spot.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Leather loses some of its strength when it gets wet and re-dries. I would recommend owning a waterproof outer layer if you don't like textiles. A proper rainsuit will have no leaks.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

echomadman posted:

Have you more pics of that bandit? i think i recognise it from the old Banditalley forums.

Id advise you to repack the exhaust, all you have to do is drill out those rivets on the ends and take off the end caps. I did on my SV and it made a big difference.

If thats not enough then get a dB killer insert. I really cant stress enough that if this bike is running ok (apart from being loud) then leave the carbs the gently caress alone.

Sadly I don't have any pictures of it other than that. I'm in Washington State if that helps, and the rest of the bike is painted that same color.

I'll see what I can do about repacking the exhaust and getting an insert.

Believe me, I know all too well not to mess with the carbs...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

infraboy posted:

Even if it's a dry clutch?

"Drag on the clutch" is wrong. In neutral, the clutch is engaged. It's drag of the fluid in the transmission on the gears as they spin near each other.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

GanjamonII posted:

What do you all think of full coverage vs liability for bikes? I have an SV and it costs me 80$ a month for full coverage with uninsured motorist etc, but the deductible is $1000 and honestly Im starting to wonder about the worth. I've already dropped it once and done < 1000$ damage to it, so unless I completely write the thing off I'm not going to really ever claim it (the bike is worth about 3k) and if I write it off completely then I figure I wont really care about the bike cause chances are I'll be hospitalized for a while anyway..

Part of the reason I'm asking is cause I'm torn 50/50 between a VFR 800 or similar sports tourer (which is cheaper for full coverage than my SV???) and a CBR/GSXR/ninja 600 SS bike cause they just look so insanely fun. Problem is if I get full coverage on a 600 my insurance will go up 200+%, so tempted to just get liability on a ~4-5k bike but it just doesn't sit quite right with me for some reason..

I think it depends on A: the bike in question, B: how much parts likely to be damaged in a tip over/drop/minor hit and run accident will cost, and C: how much your insurance costs are. For me, it's worth carrying full coverage on my ST1300.

While I have tip over bars, there is still the possibility of damaging a sidebag. In addition, since I commute on the bike (sport tourers make great daily commuters, btw) and park in lots and garages, there's always a chance that someone could hit the bike, knock it over, or both. Oh yeah, and I might drop it again.

Replacement sidebag covers (the part that's paint matched to the bike) run $350+ from various online dealers, and that's not including things like locks or hinges, or anything else that could potentially be damaged. God forbid the back half of the bag is damaged, that's another $350+. Adding full coverage with a $250 deductible was not much more than just basic coverage, so for me it made sense.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
I want a rear rack for my Versys to strap stuff to. I want to be able to ride 2 up but still carry camping stuff. The only racks I've found are small racks designed for boxes, but I don't want to drop a few hundred on a rack mount and box (and I'm not sure I need it). I just need a simple, wider-than-average rack that will hold some gear. I've searched all over. Am I basically SOL, or is there something stupid I'm missing?

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
How crappy are twenty-five dollar handlebars compared to hundred dollar handlebars for the average road rider? I imagine if you go to race tracks, or do crazy stunts on your bike, you probably want to be confident your handlebars are up to snuff, but is it necessary for someone whose most likely encounter is a pothole?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
What, specifically, are you looking at? Are they name brand?

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
A cheap bar will bend and break more in a crash, what could result in more damage to the bike...

But it's one of those things that you can't really know until it happens. I've always used cheap bars on my bikes, but my bike is slow and light. Now that i've put the YZ front end in the Serow and it has fatbar clamps I decided to go with a medium priced fatbar, mainly because there are no cheap fatbars... :p

What bike you have ?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

PestiferousTrollop posted:

How crappy are twenty-five dollar handlebars compared to hundred dollar handlebars for the average road rider? I imagine if you go to race tracks, or do crazy stunts on your bike, you probably want to be confident your handlebars are up to snuff, but is it necessary for someone whose most likely encounter is a pothole?

They're going to be fine. Bars only really matter on MX/sumo/race bikes.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Primo Itch posted:

A cheap bar will bend and break more in a crash, what could result in more damage to the bike...

But it's one of those things that you can't really know until it happens. I've always used cheap bars on my bikes, but my bike is slow and light. Now that i've put the YZ front end in the Serow and it has fatbar clamps I decided to go with a medium priced fatbar, mainly because there are no cheap fatbars... :p

What bike you have ?

82 GS 450. Which is to say I'm looking to transition from goofy 80's UJM bars to something with less rise, less pull back, and 30 or so inches wide. Everyone has something close to what I am looking for from bikemaster at 25 bucks, renthal at 60, and flanders at about 100.

Flanders seem pretty silly unless I am missing something, but is their going to be a noticable difference in quality and comfort between bikemaster cheapos and renthal price area stuff. I don't really know many of the brands either, is renthal decent or lovely, who compares to them, etc?

And I might as well ask, since the seat on this thing is goofy and torn up, how difficult is making a seat, or fabricating safe mounts for another seat? Would rather have a very different style of seat, and I'm not sure how to go about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I'd buy renthal but I was a loyal fan of their dirtbike bars. Bikemaster stuff can be a little sketchy. It probably won't matter that much, Renthals might be a little flashier than bikemaster.