Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist
Can I ask? Where is Anon on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

wildmamboqueen posted:

No, he was crazy. I watched the whole thing on AJE, and quite frankly, he was nuts.

Yeah exactly. I thought it was the translator at first but after switching interpreter the individual sentences and grammar made a bit more sense but the overall points were still all over the place and just inane ramblings.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

wildmamboqueen posted:

Still in basements throughout the US and Europe?

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Ace Oliveira posted:

Carpet.

At least that's what his clothes look like to me.

That carpet is going to be worth a lot of money in like 6 weeks

e: Holy poo poo. The loving State TV showing like 38 people with floodlights on them. It looks like a "Dance till you Die" competition in hour 37. I laughed so hard.

Sivias fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 23, 2011

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

wildmamboqueen posted:

No, he was crazy. I watched the whole thing on AJE, and quite frankly, he was nuts.

I was honestly amazed how they could seriously discuss his speech after the fact. I think my commentary would have been "He is loving crazy" and nothing more. He was rambling about all sorts of stuff, and clearly desperate at this point.

BethelBAR
Apr 17, 2008

by Cowcaster

Cjones posted:

So if Ahmadinejad is "Dinner Jacket", what is this loving guy

The Style Council. Seriously he wears some cutting edge outfits, he's only second to Mugabe in deserving to have his lifeless head paraded around the entire country on a loving sharp stick amazing shirt designs.

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist

The Brown Menace posted:

I really want the basement dwellers to rise up and make a stand. Come on Anon!

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

wildmamboqueen posted:

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/africa/2011/02/22/live-blog-libya-feb-22

Check the entries for 3:07 and 3:32

http://feb17.info/media/anonymous/
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=215454646984933465708.00049c59184ae1136341a

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 23, 2011

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

wildmamboqueen posted:

I really want the basement dwellers to rise up and make a stand. Come on Anon!

They shall rise against the power but sit down 10 seconds later, breathing and wheezing heavily.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Bahrain just released famed Bahraini blogger Ali Abdulemam, arrested back in september.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

The Brown Menace posted:

I hope they stay there on this one. This isn't really their "thing".

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BethelBAR posted:

The Style Council. Seriously he wears some cutting edge outfits, he's only second to Mugabe in deserving to have his lifeless head paraded around the entire country on a loving sharp stick amazing shirt designs.

He's unique, but nobody could challenge the fashion sense of the late Zaire dictator Mobutu Sese Seko.

"What's up, hoes."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist

Thank you. Sharing this.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

BethelBAR posted:

Meh, I think Hamid Karzai has them both beat.

I've always gotten the impression that Karzai's the only one in Afghanistan that actually dresses like that.

BethelBAR
Apr 17, 2008

by Cowcaster
^^^Seriously, the guy in the suit with a drab hot dog hat thinks he can rival the best of Africa? He's a Mobutu wannabe without the access to exotic colourful wildlife.

Nenonen posted:

He's unique, but nobody could challenge the fashion sense of the late Zaire dictator Mobutu Sese Seko.

"What's up, hoes."

Seko definitely had it goin' on, but he never fully grasped coordination, I don't mean that he kept falling over, but that leopard hat just doesn't go with most of his shirts.

He really should have applied the Mugabe factor...

Silly question, but what happens to any remaining defecting pilots? They can't exactly radio their intent, nor take off without armaments without a flight plan? (referring to the no fly zone)

BethelBAR fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 23, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

BethelBAR posted:

They can't exactly radio their intent, nor take off without armaments without a flight plan? (referring to the no fly zone)

Why not?

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
Their own base may well shoot them down.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Xandu posted:

Why not?

If they have no problem burning soldiers alive in their barracks for refusing orders, they wont have much of a problem firing SAMs at their own aircraft.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I don't know if the Libyan military is that capable at this point, but fair point.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If the UN is going to institute a no fly zone, then what it's really doing is asking the US air force to shoot down Libyan planes. Because honestly, no other country has the capability to do it on such short notice.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

If the UN is going to institute a no fly zone, then what it's really doing is asking the US air force to shoot down Libyan planes. Because honestly, no other country has the capability to do it on such short notice.

:lol: What? The Italians are even closer.

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006

Vladimir Putin posted:

This is short sighted. Everyone in NATO can do this, especially France and Germany.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

One problem with a no-fly zone is that the Libyan AA network would immediately be involved. If you want total air superiority its gonna involve SEAD and that means attacking ground targets - missile launchers and the associated radar systems, as well as static and self-propelled AA guns.

Intervention from anyone would turn into a full-on air campaign REALLY quick.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

:lol: What? The Italians are even closer.

Can fighter jets from Italy loiter for extended periods of time over Libya? I was thinking that an aircraft carrier would need to be parked off the coast and jets scrambled when something is picked up by radar.

In any event I can't envision Italy or any other European country for that matter getting involved without the US.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

Can fighter jets from Italy loiter for extended periods of time over Libya? I was thinking that an aircraft carrier would need to be parked off the coast and jets scrambled when something is picked up by radar.

In any event I can't envision Italy or any other European country for that matter getting involved without the US.

Umm, okay.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Vladimir Putin posted:

Yeah, all those Eurofighters and Mirages are just plastic toys and can't be moved to Malta, no sir.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BIG HORNY COW posted:

One problem with a no-fly zone is that the Libyan AA network would immediately be involved. If you want total air superiority its gonna involve SEAD and that means attacking ground targets - missile launchers and the associated radar systems, as well as static and self-propelled AA guns.

This is absolutely true. Whoever is enforcing the no fly zone needs to be willing to bomb ground targets when they get painted by radar or fired on from the ground.

Craiglen posted:

This is short sighted. Everyone in NATO can do this, especially France and Germany.

What is the over air time from Germany and France to Libya?

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Vladimir Putin posted:

This is absolutely true. Whoever is enforcing the no fly zone needs to be willing to bomb ground targets when they get painted by radar or fired on from the ground.

What is the over air time from Germany and France to Libya?

Three hours I'd guess

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

The Italians might be capable, but they'd never do it.

BIG HORNY COW posted:

That's absolutely true. It might still be worth it, hard to say, but the complete lack of even symbolic action is just appalling.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Xandu posted:

I don't know if the Libyan military is that capable at this point, but fair point.

It really is difficult to know what they can do. Not simply because of probably unrealistic paper strength, but because we don't know what individual units are doing or who they're tied to and what they're thinking.

The situation is simply incredibly messy. However, I would guess that someone who wanted to defect in an airplane probably has a pretty good chance of making it out.

Edit// The presumption that forces loyal to Gaddafi have full control over the air defense system seems highly premature.

farraday fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 23, 2011

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cjones posted:

Three hours I'd guess

In those three hours the Libyan aircraft would would have bombed a bunch of civilians and returned home. What you really need for an effective no fly zone is for aircraft to be stationed in theatre, preferably in a country next door, or an aircraft carrier. Someon did mention Malta though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BIG HORNY COW posted:

So, that would mean that those Libyan AA guns would 1) not be chopping up large numbers of protesters and 2) be blown the gently caress up, preventing them from chopping up large numbers of protesters.

I see no problem with this.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Swift emergency meeting leads to outraged UN Leader, and only an outraged UN Leader, and it will always only be that.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

farraday posted:

It really is difficult to know what they can do. Not simply because of probably unrealistic paper strength, but because we don't know what individual units are doing or who they're tied to and what they're thinking.

The situation is simply incredibly messy. However, I would guess that someone who wanted to defect in an airplane probably has a pretty good chance of making it out.

That's what I meant, along with which areas of the country the military is capable of projecting force, for instance the east seems to be out of its control from the ground. I've heard that Gaddafi is only engaging his most loyal troops and not the majority of the military because he doesn't want to risk them all defecting, but I can't seem to find the source anymore.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xandu posted:

I agree with this 100%.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Xandu posted:

Not if you tell them they can also use their navy to stop all those boats full of illegal immigrants sailing toward their coast.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

I wonder what kind of EW support something like Commando Solo could provide around Tripoli while still remaining out of Libyan airspace. Aside from jamming radar systems, is there a way for that kind of platform to serve as an ad hoc comm link to get around the internet blockage?

Young Freud posted:

So, that would mean that those Libyan AA guns would 1) not be chopping up large numbers of protesters and 2) be blown the gently caress up, preventing them from chopping up large numbers of protesters.

I see no problem with this.

The problem with this is that it goes from "providing support" to a major military operation involving hundreds of sorties and strikes against ground targets. The only group who can realistically pull this off is the US Military (and the Israelis but that is COMPLETELY out of the question).

Total air superiority over Libya would be great for the protesters but I think we've lost any kind of credibility to provide such a thing and it will get reduced to THE US IS loving US AGAIN no matter what the level of involvement.

BIG HORNY COW fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 23, 2011

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Toplowtech posted:

Not if you tell them they can also use their navy to stop all those boats full of illegal immigrants sailing toward their coast.

Also tell Silvio he can screw Qaddafi's virgin guard once he's gone.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Brown Menace posted:

Also tell Silvio he can screw Qaddafi's virgin guard once he's gone.
That would work too. Isn't Ruby Moroccan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobler Than Lettuce
Aug 17, 2010

I think I'm a grasshopper. I think I'm a grasshopper. I think I'm a grasssshopppper.

MJ_Turbo posted:

are you mocking me or what, i just think he looks a bit like him

No. I just thought you literally meant whenever you see Gaddafi you also see snoop dog.

The joke was that snoop dog has been all around TV recently, and fox and friends are choosing to ignore most of the detail of these riots, if they tell you at all.

• Locked thread