Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
:golfclap:

This is what gets me about riding. Despite how lovely the majority of that experience sounded, I was still jealous that I didn't do it.

It doesn't even make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Wait, so were the vocals traditional black where the screaming was incomprehensible, or were there melody breaks like Windir and like ~10% of In Flames?

Because I want to find some loving black metal that involves singing.

poo poo. What thread is this?

I... want to paint Icarus on my Triumph.
(whew. On topic)

http://www.myspace.com/sinstorm

It's alright, apparently his side project is more like Windir. If you like black metal with singing that's not pussy-rear end poo poo for girls go check out Ulver "Bergtatt." Track 1.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 22, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MotoMind posted:

I rode from San Francisco to San Diego on Friday and it rained the whole way as a winter storm unloaded on the West Coast. I don't think I've ever been that wet and cold in my life, outside of bodyboarding without a wetsuit in the Pacific Ocean in winter.

gently caress riding in that poo poo, I was driving and it was complete shite.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Yeah, it was probably the worst weather I have ever seen on the road. On the Grapevine cars and trucks were disappearing into the mist only a couple lengths ahead of me. I wouldn't do it again, even if I could stay perfectly dry, or at least not in a 500-600 mile day. That whole day I saw only one rider on the interstate, in the middle of the LA commute.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Tip of the day: adjust your levers to comfort. I feel stupid for not ding this half a year ago. :/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KARMA! posted:

Tip of the day: adjust your levers to comfort. I feel stupid for not ding this half a year ago. :/

Also rotate them on the bars for comfort. You'd be surprised how many people are reaching way too high or low for their levers just because they dont know or dont think to adjust them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Pro tip: When they say the M4 GP slip on is loud... well, it's loving loud.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 23, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MotoMind posted:

I wouldn't do it again, even if I could stay perfectly dry, or at least not in a 500-600 mile day.

Totally, it wasn't about not getting wet, we could hardly see a drat thing with the wipers at full speed.

BlackMK4 posted:

Pro tip: When they say the M4 GP slip on is loud... well, it's loving loud.

gently caress yes they are. I love mine.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Pro tip: don't screw your levers on bomb rear end tight, that way when you drop your bike there's a chance the levers will just rotate on the bars instead of breaking.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

2ndclasscitizen posted:

gently caress yes they are. I love mine.
I had a cut canister on my F4i and it was pretty loud... now I've put like 7k miles on my ZX6R with the stock exhaust that is really quiet. Stuffed on the M4 and I think my neighbors are going to murder me eventually. Least I'm moving soon :v:

edit: It kinda sounds awesome, pops loud as poo poo when blipping/rolling back in.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 23, 2011

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

niethan posted:

Pro tip: don't screw your levers on bomb rear end tight, that way when you drop your bike there's a chance the levers will just rotate on the bars instead of breaking.

There's also less chance of the clamp fracturing, like when the local KTM dealer over-tightened mine :mad:

Ever here of a loving torque wrench, fucktards?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

There's also less chance of the clamp fracturing, like when the local KTM dealer over-tightened mine :mad:

Ever here of a loving torque wrench, fucktards?

that's just metal fatigue from all the vibration.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KARMA! posted:

Also adjust your rear brake and shift levers/pedals. Amazing how much more comfortable it is to ride and shift when they are in the right spot...also makes it really easy to slam on the read brakes and slide.

I'm planning a trip to Florida sometime end of April or Early May, going to be about 700 miles one way. Right now I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth riding the SV down over driving down. If I ride down I'll stick to state highways and take around 14 hours (2 days), driving I think I could do it in one 12 hour day. Is it worth riding down for easy parking even though I know the roads suck?

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 23, 2011

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Linedance posted:

that's just metal fatigue from all the vibration.

Its a possibility, but it went the day after they had it in to take that lever off. Between that and all the other things they have hosed up on I'm more than willing to put it down to a ham-fisting on their part.

EDIT: That was the day (before the end of my warranty) they claimed that an intermittent sticking brake switch was killing my battery and that's why it was starting hard. My brake light is LED, the brake light isn't on when the bike is off. I found out by myself (after the end of my warranty) that my bike wasn't starting properly because of a leaking injector emptying the fuel rail into the throttle body while the bike sat.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 23, 2011

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Here in San Diego, gas prices are exceeding $4/gallon in some places, so I'm planning on buying one (or a few) cheap scooter(s) to fix up and make shiny now to get ready for the summer and $5/gas.

I'm checking out an 85 Honda Elite 150 today... it's in good shape with new tires and brakes for $850, which isn't bad for SoCal. Apparently he has over 10 people on his callback list, but I was first since I set up an alert for inexpensive good quality scooters. I bet it'd be easy to ride it around for a while, maybe keep it for a year, and then flip it... maybe making money but certainly not losing it either.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Ack.. Moved to picture thread.

Tindjin fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 23, 2011

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

robotsinmyhead posted:

Rode for the first time in 16 years yesterday. I'm 30, and so is my 1980 Honda CB650 Custom :)

I don't know why I went so long without riding, it was great.

I said the exact same thing after being off two wheels for about the length of time. Welcome back.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I noticed some oil seeping out of my KTM's countershaft sprocket seal (hurr KTM), which in turn got on my chain and resulted in a very crappy automatic chain oiler. I ordered the seals I'd need to replace and everything, and then noticed that the goddamn sprocket nut was loose! I've never had that happen before, is it normal for sprocket nuts to loosen over time?

Tightened that poo poo back up to 60nm, cleaned off the chain and rear wheel, and will verify results of my "fix" tomorrow. Hopefully the right side of my rear tire will no longer be getting an oil bath while riding.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Throwing this out here because I've been reading it non-stop for days:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?board=103.0

Tons of awesome restoration projects on old Honda UJMs.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^ I no longer own a SOHC4, but I still enjoy the project forum. Just wish they would scale back a bit on the cafe builds, it's been done to death.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

True, but to be fair restoring them back to original condition is only interesting so many times. I can't wait until I get a garage so I can do my own. It's pretty hard to find ones that aren't already fully restored and $6000 or terrible piles of crap for $100, though. I plan on doing a regular restoration, but with entirely new gauges, controls, wheels, and a 99-02 R6 front end.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 25, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bucephalus posted:

it's been done to death.

So true. There so much stuff you can do. Electric conversion, modernization, comfy tourer, scrambler... I suppose people with the time, money and imagination for a great custom project don't bother with old UJMs.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

hayden. posted:

True, but to be fair restoring them back to original condition is only interesting so many times. I can't wait until I get a garage so I can do my own. It's pretty hard to find ones that aren't already fully restored and $6000 or terrible piles of crap for $100, though. I plan on doing a regular restoration, but with entirely new gauges, controls, wheels, and a 99-02 R6 front end.

Do people typically make money off of UJM Restos? Or just break even? It seems like a lot of those finished bikes from the inspiration thread could be worth a high asking price to the right person.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Only the "exactly perfect down to the nuts, bolts, and OEM tires" restorations bring serious money. The ones where someone just cleans up an old bike, or restores them with non OEM parts dont usually bring much.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Do people typically make money off of UJM Restos? Or just break even? It seems like a lot of those finished bikes from the inspiration thread could be worth a high asking price to the right person.

A lot of those guys probably spend upwards of $10k (edit: including the original bike) getting their builds completed, and I seriously doubt they'd resell for close to that. $10k is going to include lots of professional powder coating and other services, new OEM items, big bore kits, new custom exhausts, etc.

I saw two nearly perfect, 100% stock CB750s on eBay go for about $4.5k and $6.5k last week. I think it'd be pretty hard to get a custom version to go for much more than that (edit: professional jobs (Carpy) excluded).

hayden. fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 25, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"Big name" customs dont sell that well either, really. One look at craigslist and you'll see no end of custom 300mm choppas going for $15,000 "Witch is a stael because i baut it for 30K two years ago".

There are also no end to the ~`\/\/CCUUUUSSSSSTTTOOOOOMMMMM\/\/`~ XS650 bobbers, CB Choppers and other poo poo that people want $4K for. None of it sells.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Ah well there go my fantasies of turning my living room into an old school resto shop.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Gnaghi posted:

I think it's entirely possible to flip certain UJM restos for a profit if you're willing to completely ignore your labor component.

Customs based on UJMs are another matter--builders like Carpy seem to be making a go of it. Then again, he can probably dismantle a SOHC rack o' carbs and polish the cases in the time it takes me to find my valve caps.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

You can apparently make a drat good profit on custom bikes if you get a reality TV show and throw poo poo at your family.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SlightlyMadman posted:

You can apparently make a drat good profit on custom bikes if you get a reality TV show and throw poo poo at your family.

And also only sell to corporations who buy the bike as an advertising piece to get their name, logo and faces on a popular show on the discovery channel for an hour without paying for the advertising, which would undoubtedly cost more than the bike.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Nuh-uh, POW MIA man.

Then the secret to success after that is to stop paying your bills and sue your family into oblivion.

Also, lots of roids'

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

And here I thought the success stemmed from the walrus mustache...eh who am I kidding, I couldn't grow one of those anyway.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gnaghi posted:

And here I thought the success stemmed from the walrus mustache...eh who am I kidding, I couldn't grow one of those anyway.

Paul Senior's mustache is the best thing about that show.

That pretty much says it all.

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
I got chased for the first time by a do while motorcycling today. I need to invest in a sidecar so I can stop and catch that dog that was cool enough to chase me.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

KozmoNaut posted:

Paul Senior's mustache is the best thing about that show.

That pretty much says it all.

The constant drilling-into-new-tyres-when-mounting-rear-fender is by far the best thing. Someone needs to montage that poo poo.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I noticed some oil seeping out of my KTM's countershaft sprocket seal (hurr KTM), which in turn got on my chain and resulted in a very crappy automatic chain oiler. I ordered the seals I'd need to replace and everything, and then noticed that the goddamn sprocket nut was loose! I've never had that happen before, is it normal for sprocket nuts to loosen over time?

Tightened that poo poo back up to 60nm, cleaned off the chain and rear wheel, and will verify results of my "fix" tomorrow. Hopefully the right side of my rear tire will no longer be getting an oil bath while riding.

My 450 exc-r has had the auto-oiler for like 2 years.

I really need to fix that...

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/jV5TPo5xfPvdEIbjae6gow?select=mE8a_kBJYTqyhqPSMIQ3kg

Just saw this guy in my neighborhood the other day. The truck has an extending conveyor belt-type loading ramp, pretty cool. I'm surprised something like this isn't more common, actually.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

That's awesome, when my Bonnie got totaled the cops called a tow truck to have it removed from the scene, and it was a real bitch to get it up and stable on a standard flatbed.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I've been towed a couple times and I've never had issues with getting the bike on the flatbed. Simply roll the bike up on the inclined flatbed, hold the front brake, and the flatbed can rise to its level position, where you can proceed to tie it down. I'm guessing a totaled bike may be more challenging depending on the damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I've been towed a couple times and I've never had issues with getting the bike on the flatbed. Simply roll the bike up on the inclined flatbed, hold the front brake, and the flatbed can rise to its level position, where you can proceed to tie it down. I'm guessing a totaled bike may be more challenging depending on the damage.

Yeah, it was in gear and had no clutch lever, so that was the biggest problem.