Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Ashenai posted:

It's like I always say, it's not about what cards you open for your Sealed deck, it's all about how you build it, with suble decisions to be made about manabases and card synergies.

This is the proest way to do it. Take notes fellas.

As Phyrexia, I opened Bonehoard, Green's Sun's Zenith, Decimator Web, Tower of Calamities, Venser's Journal, and Kuldotha Forgemaster. It's like pulling teeth trying to win with uncommons when your opponents are dropping bomb rares

(I went 2-2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Bonehoard is pretty good though!

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs
Assuming you can handle hours of 'how big is your boner?' without having an aneurysm.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Lunael posted:

Bonehoard is pretty good though!

It's definitely a "pretty good" card

I played both it and the Zenith - of course they really couldn't save my pool

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Why the hell does people only play ME4 Swiss and not 8-4?
I hate the swiss queue, but it's the only one seeing action.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Buffis posted:

Because most people are bad and they want a payout they feel they can get.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Buffis posted:

Most of the good players (the ones who are up for 8-4 action) are less interested in formats that have no real-world tournament relevance.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Goddamn I'd like to play MBS limited now, but not gonna go for prerelease anymore or cough up money for the prerelease drafts.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I can't wait to get home from work because then MBS drafts will be up and running.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MBS sealed. I open the nuts Infect deck, with double Hand of the Praetor, Phyrexian Hydra, and Putrefax. Problem: I don't have any removal in B/G.

I ended up running the red package with double Iron Myr, Arc Trail, Galvanic Blast, and Burn the Impure. Should I have run the other five cards instead?

E: 3-1ed, lost to the finals against a great UW deck. Turns out I didn't have any way to deal with a 6/6 Phyrexian Horror token equipped with +1/+0 First Strike and +2/+4 Reach. Got to T4 Phyrexian Hydra, T5 Arc Trail in two separate games. That didn't seem fair.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 24, 2011

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Chajusong posted:

MBS sealed. I open the nuts Infect deck, with double Hand of the Praetor, Phyrexian Hydra, and Putrefax. Problem: I don't have any removal in B/G.

I ended up running the red package with double Iron Myr, Arc Trail, Galvanic Blast, and Burn the Impure. Should I have run the other five cards instead?

Most definitely the red splash package there, Rust Tick is really the only thing I'd really want to play out of the five other options (in this case).

Pretty nutty looking sealed deck!

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 23, 2011

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

Lunael posted:

Most definitely the red splash package there, Rust Tick is really the only thing I'd really want to play out of the five other options (in this case).

Pretty nutty looking sealed deck!

I agree, not much to think about here. Awesome pool.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I finally decide to play a bit of magic online and get handed this pool.

Click here for the full 1086x729 image.

Guess we'll see if Geth can pull off some wins. Not a very exciting pool though.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

MrBling posted:

I finally decide to play a bit of magic online and get handed this pool.

Click here for the full 1086x729 image.

Guess we'll see if Geth can pull off some wins. Not a very exciting pool though.

How did BUw option look to you? Splash for Venser, Arrest, Divine Offering.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Lunael posted:

How did BUw option look to you? Splash for Venser, Arrest, Divine Offering.

I thought about it, and it was probably the right choice but the red just tempted me.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
Gonna draft tonight. Is triple MBS going to be any fun or should I stick with MBS/SOM?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

DoctorJones posted:

Gonna draft tonight. Is triple MBS going to be any fun or should I stick with MBS/SOM?

Having just looked at one triple BSM draft cap my buddy posted, I'd really stick with MBS-SOM-SOM.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Triple mbs is horrible, so unless you desperately want to open MBS packs you should draft mbs/som/som.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!
I've only played one MBSx3, but it reminded me of M11 a lot.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

DoctorJones posted:

Has there ever even been a good triple small set draft format?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

Has there ever even been a good triple small set draft format?

Nope. Coldsnap was WotC's attempt at making one, and we all know how that turned out.

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2

Ashenai posted:

Nope. Coldsnap was WotC's attempt at making one, and we all know how that turned out.

Dark Depths is a cool land.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Why did RoE end up being a big set?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

mango sentinel posted:

Why did RoE end up being a big set?

Because WotC learned their lesson and understood that small sets suck for triple-set draft, which is what they wanted to do with RoE.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Not thrilled with my first release pool:

Click here for the full 1064x627 image.

Built UGb splashing Spread the Sickness. Another option I could see would be balls out aggro RW. Going 1-1, sweeeet first round win with 00:25 on the clock, second round 0-2 rout in ten minutes against BGw Infect.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

My personal thought would have been UGr splashing for Arc Trail and Blisterstick, but your method also seems pretty reasonable.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I'd be tempted to go UR Goodstuff Control. You have so many cards in those colors that give you card advantage, you just end up with inevitability if you survive long enough. Except, uh, no high-power removal, so I guess any bomb crushes you v:shobon:v

Yeah, it's not a great pool. It is quite an interesting one, though.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

For fucks sake! Second Sealed in a row where MTGO shits on me. I'm on the verge of winning round 3, match 3, pass priority to attack and opponent timer starts ticking down. I assume he's away or something, dick around for close to ten minutes, and then chat starts warning me I should log out and back just in case it's showing wrong on my end and I'm actually the one who's losing to inactivity in minute. I immediately close and relog, but the two minutes that takes is enough to timeout and drop me from the tournament.

Apparently pretty common thing for MTGO to do, at least according to those I asked, but personally haven't run into it once in close to two years of playing...

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Lunael posted:

For fucks sake! Second Sealed in a row where MTGO shits on me. I'm on the verge of winning round 3, match 3, pass priority to attack and opponent timer starts ticking down. I assume he's away or something, dick around for close to ten minutes, and then chat starts warning me I should log out and back just in case it's showing wrong on my end and I'm actually the one who's losing to inactivity in minute. I immediately close and relog, but the two minutes that takes is enough to timeout and drop me from the tournament.

Apparently pretty common thing for MTGO to do, at least according to those I asked, but personally haven't run into it once in close to two years of playing...

That happened to me once too. It definitely sucks, but in my case at least customer service immediately refunded my entry fee with no hassle when I reported it.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Lunael posted:

Yeah, everyone gets caught by this once. Ask for compensation, you'll get it, no trouble.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I've had to put in several compensation requests and they go through automatically, no questions asked. Wizards is really great about that.

Largely because they know they're going to get all your dollars eventually, anyways :)

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Drafted MBS-SOM-SOM:
http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2np88

I'm really unsure how the white Infect cards in MBS actually play out in this format. Haven't been that keen on jumping on them, and I'm not sure is that correct. It might be that we'll have to wait until the third set to make them shine a bit more, then it would be just one pack of Scars, which doesn't provide much else than removal for the Wx Infect decks.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
P1P5: I think if you're gonna do GW infect, which I think COULD be a thing, Tine Shrike is definitely better than Priests of Norn
P1P11: I don't see whats wrong with phyrexian rager at all? Solid body, and doesn't cost you a card.
P1P13: Probably would've taken Horrifying Revelation just for signalling purposes.
P2P1: Wow this pack woulda been sweet if you were in red. Anyways, I disagree with you here, I think Moriok Replica will end up being better in your deck. I mean on-color myr is always good but running out of steam can definitely be a problem in your deck and Moriok Replica helps that nicely.
P2P6: I see that you were raredrafting but Strider Harness is perfectly fine
P2P13: Again probably woulda taken Relic Putrescence just for signalling purposes. If people really want to play Auriok Sunchaser thats fine by me.
P3P1: Wow another really strong red pack. I actually don't see Grasp as being clearly better than ichorclaw myr here, since I'd definitely be worried about your infect count right now since I feel like you don't necessarily have enough infect guys. I probably would take the grasp anyways since you do have two scourge servants and can probably just win off that.
P3P5: Wow what a loving gift.
P3P9: And another gift jeez.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

p1p5 I'm not actually sure how I would rank those two. I think they're two very different, nicely different cards I would even say. One is fragile, expensive, but easily the more offensive one, another plays dual by being solid defensive body and being on a good cc (4cc generally has felt crowded in Infect decks).

p1p11 Nothing wrong with it, that's why I said I'm not unhappy to pick it. :)

p2p6 Strider Harness was my pick until I decided to take the rare.

p2p13 I don't think it makes any difference anymore at this point, our upstream is passing to us for the rest of the draft, there's nothing to signal. I'd rather just hate the marginally playable card left in the pack.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I mean, I think basically that Priests of Norn is fine in any white deck whereas Tine Shrike is clearly designed for a deck that wants to poison out your opponent. Of course, having Priests of Norn in a white infect deck is perfectly fine since it has a big butt and always blocks, but a 2/1 flyer is pretty hard to argue with.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Click here for the full 1047x557 image.

Cards I considered for the maindeck are at the far right of the sideboard.
Played Flayer Husk instead of the second Axe because my deck wants to be aggressive, and I wanted a higher creature count.
Don't really like the Chrome Steed with the low artifact count, but I couldn't justify Wall of Tanglecord or Abuna Acolyte over it. (e: Just noticed the Vulshok Heartstoker - I switched out the Steed for it.)
Not too sure about Ratchet Bomb. Sealed is slow, but I have a lot of removal already.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Hmmmm I would actually probably put steed in over Vulshok Heartstoker I'm not a big fan of that card.

I also wouldn't maindeck Crush... although maindeck Crush might be fine in sealed since you'll probably always have a good target for it. Its a great sideboard card, though.

I would put in the second darksteel axe, though.

I would say...

-1 Crush
-1 Loxodon Parisian
+1 Darksteel Axe
+1 Ogre Resister

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!
Hah, just lost to Grindclock + Contagion Engine + Thrummingbird. Had only seen the Engine so I didn't side in Crush (he wasn't poison otherwise). First time I've ever been milled in this format, and I usually took Grindclocks on the opposing side of the table as a good sign...

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I was pretty alright when my opponent played Myr Reservoir to go with his Perilous Myrs. I was fine when he played Myr Turbine to make a bunch of chumpers. I wasn't quite so happy when he EOT tutored a Myr Battlesphere, used his last card (Concussive Bolt) and swung for well over 30. This isn't even sealed-- all this in a draft! gently caress me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

ChewyLSB posted:

Hmmmm I would actually probably put steed in over Vulshok Heartstoker I'm not a big fan of that card.

I also wouldn't maindeck Crush... although maindeck Crush might be fine in sealed since you'll probably always have a good target for it. Its a great sideboard card, though.

I would put in the second darksteel axe, though.

I would say...

-1 Crush
-1 Loxodon Parisian
+1 Darksteel Axe
+1 Ogre Resister

I think Crush and Partisan are both quite good to start in a Sealed deck. I would probably cut the Clone Shell, which I am never impressed by, and a land for another Ogre and another Axe. I've found that Sealed often comes down to who topdecks better and you don't want to be hitting land when the opponent is hitting gas (especially with a Sealed pool like that which is decent with ok removal but not bomby.)

On another note, last night I did a paper draft of MBS-MBS-SOM. I played B/G Infect with 3x Blightwidows and Septic Rats. More importantly, I opened a foil Koth in pack 3, then a regular Tezzeret in prize packs. I would feel bad about being so lucky except that when SOM was out I opened total poo poo for like 4 months straight.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 25, 2011