Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

I'm confused. Didn't the Warhammer suffer the two pilot hits (from the second Catapult LRM15 volley)? Not Firewalker?

Edit:

:doh: Right. Forgot about the life support crit. Thanks, all clear now!
VVVVVVV

Brandy Collins fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Brandy Collins posted:

I'm confused. Didn't the Warhammer suffer the two pilot hits (from the second Catapult LRM15 volley)? Not Firewalker?

Yes, it did. However, due to the lack of life support, Firewalker also suffered two more pilot hits due to its heat being above 25.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

PoptartsNinja posted:

TP Tech Platoon fire SRM (inferno) at D1 Warhammer! (5 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 6, hit with 15 missiles! Increases D1 Warhammer heat by 15!

Is this a new rule? I thought infernos did 6 heat, total, regardless of how many hit.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Carbolic posted:

Is this a new rule? I thought infernos did 6 heat, total, regardless of how many hit.

Infernos, in TW and BMR anyway, do 2 heat per missile.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Longinus00 posted:

Infernos, in TW and BMR anyway, do 2 heat per missile.

I don't have TW, and I don't have my original BMR handy, but in BMR:R they do 6 heat, regardless of how many missiles you were hit with. The effect lasts 3 turns for every missile that hit.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Carbolic posted:

Total Warfare. They do 1/1 damage/heat when fired by a 'Mech, so an Inferno SRM does 2 heat. Since I don't want to double the heat generation of a squad of infantry, I kept the 1/1 damage/heat the same.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So, how long will the infernoed mechs burn?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So what's it take to get a mech started up again in the tabletop version? Lose enough heat til you can make a startup roll or something? How bad is it with 27 heat? And why's heat measured as x/y. Does something bad happen when heat hits y?

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Tarquinn posted:

So, how long will the infernoed mechs burn?

Far as I know, these days infernos just apply heat the turn they hit and then go away.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SynthOrange posted:

So what's it take to get a mech started up again in the tabletop version? Lose enough heat til you can make a startup roll or something? How bad is it with 27 heat? And why's heat measured as x/y. Does something bad happen when heat hits y?

30/30 heat is automatic shutdown.

There's also a really, really stupid scale that goes above 30 heat, but I ignore it because it's retarded and uses the Stackpole rule. 50 heat is an automatic engine explosion, IIRC.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Spent the last two or three days catching up on this thread. I'm not sure why I ignored it for so long! I never really played much, but I used to read a lot of the novels, so while I have some idea of the lingo, trying to follow the battles is... still rough going.

Still, a very interesting and nostalgic read, you guys.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

Spent the last two or three days catching up on this thread. I'm not sure why I ignored it for so long! I never really played much, but I used to read a lot of the novels, so while I have some idea of the lingo, trying to follow the battles is... still rough going.

Still, a very interesting and nostalgic read, you guys.

As another guy whose exposure to the BT universe was mainly through the Mechwarrior/Mechcommander games and the novels, I find the fluff PTN adds to his updates a very big help in understanding the gravity or brevity of the situation.

Sure, they're not really needed, but that's what makes this LP even more awesome.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Of all the things to find while rummaging, I got a hold of a loaned out and then completely forgotten about Armageddon 2089 book.

To be fair, it's actually pretty fun. But trying to learn two different systems and universes at the same time is a bit too confusing for my tastes :/

Finally got Mek working properly again, so I might be doing a few trial matches in the future.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

There's also a really, really stupid scale that goes above 30 heat, but I ignore it because it's retarded and uses the Stackpole rule. 50 heat is an automatic engine explosion, IIRC.

Speaking of the Stackpole rule, are you going to use the optional "fusion reactors can blow up" rule?

Edit:
Great in-universe ad, as always.
And what makes it even better is that you showcased one of my favorite Battletech 'mechs ever!
Sure, there are other 'mech that rulewise are better, but fluff-wise the Raven rocks. And looks cool too! :D
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

radintorov fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 24, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I have a much more important question, and it's for EVERYONE.

Brave Citizen soldier, are you ready to defend the glory of the Capellan Confederation?

Click here for the full 1782x1442 image.

BattleMechs are Endorsed by the State.
Today's Episode: RVN-1X Raven

The CCAF is the bulwark with which we defend against Davion Imperialism and Marik Opportunism! Do you think they care about the Capellan people? No! The Mariks only intend to take our wealth for themselves. The Davions will press our people in to work in munitions plants, allowing all other infrastructure to crumble just as they did theirs. It is against this that the Chancellor protects us. And he has given us a new weapon to do it with: the experimental new Raven BattleMech.

A breakthrough new design, the Raven was manufactured by Hellespont Industries and showcases Capellan ingenuity, intelligence, and innovation. Weighing in at 35 tons, the Raven travels at nearly 100 kph, allowing it to quickly arrive anywhere it is needed to defense of the Capellan people. This goal, the goal of every Capellan citizen, is achieved with a pair of medium lasers, an SRM-6 and the Capellan Confederation's newest advance, an advanced electronic warfare suite more advanced than anything seen since the Star League fell. The Chancellor has spared no expense, getting this advanced piece of equipment down to just seven tons. On such a mobile platform, enemy communications can be scrambled at a moment's notice!

With its five tons of armor, the Raven can withstand whatever fire gets lucky enough to penetrate the electronic countermeasures. Combined with their high speed, the Raven is a machine not to be underestimated. Without their communications, the enemies of the Capellan People will soon be felled! Ravens shall march through the cities of Kittery, Zilang, and yes, even Chesterson!

The Capellan Confederation counts on all its citizens to protect it, but if you're not lucky enough to be piloting one of these new Ravens, remember: when the Davions invade your city, be ready to support our troops in their glorious liberation of your homes. When Ravens enter a city to disrupt enemy sensors, that is the perfect time for brave Citizens like you to rise up against the enemy and open fire on their troops. When you see a Raven on your street, know that victory is at hand!

(And also know that if you don't, and we win, you will be in some poo poo with the Maskirovka).

So remember, Citizen: the Chancellor works hard to provide for your community, so you must work hard to support him and the Confederation. With our Capellan spirit burning bright, we will take back what is ours!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I love Ravens.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I like the -1X cause it's so goddamn ridiculous. A slightly-worse version of a Guardian ECM that weighs five times as much? AWW YEAH. The -3L with 3050 tech is a real solid level 2 light, but the original -1X is funny as poo poo.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
its worse and weighs more??

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Affi posted:

You've got to remember, it was more or less the first inkling in the BattleTech universe that hey, ComStar didn't have a complete lockdown on all technological development.

Basically, they were reinventing the wheel; or in this case, reinventing the Beagle Active Probe and the Guardian ECM Suite in one unit. I'd wager that when the Star League first started to prototype those systems they were heavy, bulky and inefficient.

Of course, from the standpoint of a game and not a real war, it's a :downs: decision to take the original Raven because frankly, ECM doesn't do anything against Level 1 stuff! It doesn't impose a TH penalty on normal shots.

The earliest things you'll see an ECM suite doing anything to affect are Artemis IV fire-control systems, and really, they're not all that great shakes. Just a +2 on the cluster hits charts, big deal. The earliest unit that the ECM would do anything against would be the Dragoons, and certainly not worth it at 7.5 tons!

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

You've got to remember, it was more or less the first inkling in the BattleTech universe that hey, ComStar didn't have a complete lockdown on all technological development.

Basically, they were reinventing the wheel; or in this case, reinventing the Beagle Active Probe and the Guardian ECM Suite in one unit. I'd wager that when the Star League first started to prototype those systems they were heavy, bulky and inefficient.

Of course, from the standpoint of a game and not a real war, it's a :downs: decision to take the original Raven because frankly, ECM doesn't do anything against Level 1 stuff! It doesn't impose a TH penalty on normal shots.

The earliest things you'll see an ECM suite doing anything to affect are Artemis IV fire-control systems, and really, they're not all that great shakes. Just a +2 on the cluster hits charts, big deal. The earliest unit that the ECM would do anything against would be the Dragoons, and certainly not worth it at 7.5 tons!

Pretty much what I was going to post: the system is supposed to be a prototype that combines both a Beagle Active Probe and Guardian ECM in one single system, at a time where the equipment it tried to emulate was considered Lostech.

And rulewise it's pretty much useless although, depending on the GM, it could have an effect when playing a combined Mechwarrior RPG / Battletech game.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Affi posted:

One of the things I love about Battletech is that it inverts the "Gundam Golden Rule", which states that for any given technology, one-off, cobbled-together prototypes are exponentially more powerful than mass-production models.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Doesn't ECM affect radar and such? So that you could power down your mech behind a building and if they didn't have line of sight they couldn't see you?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Affi posted:

Doesn't ECM affect radar and such? So that you could power down your mech behind a building and if they didn't have line of sight they couldn't see you?

Yes, but that only matters if you're using Double-Blind rules and TacOps sensor rules and stuff. And unless you're grognard enough to have a referee who's going to ref a game and all, or else have two identical maps in different rooms with a ref running back and forth placing sensor tokens and stuff, that's all loving irrelevant before the advent of MegaMek.

Besides, powered down works without ECM and stuff as well.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

The one thing it does do with L1 play is reveal hidden units, which makes it not a 100% waste.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nah, the expanded heat scale goes up to 50, but 50 is now automatic shutdown, not the reactor going kaboom. Other than getting worse and worse results from the standard scale (IE; more gunnery negatives and less movement plus increasingly high chances of your ammo going up and worse rolls to avoid shutdown), it introduces two new consequences: Rolling to avoid pilot damage (unless life support is out, in which case you're hosed) and a chance to suffer automatic critical hits as parts of th Mech start giving out under the heat. What it also invents is that pilots with a good piloting skill get a bonus when rolling to avoid shutdown. In fact, the last "Roll to avoid shutdown" part of the table forces you to roll a 14+, so you better have a good pilot if you wanna g up to 50. :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I can't seem to load the map for this turn right now.

EDIT: It loaded, my moves are in

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 24, 2011

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Yes, but that only matters if you're using Double-Blind rules and TacOps sensor rules and stuff. And unless you're grognard enough to have a referee who's going to ref a game and all, or else have two identical maps in different rooms with a ref running back and forth placing sensor tokens and stuff, that's all loving irrelevant before the advent of MegaMek.

Besides, powered down works without ECM and stuff as well.

That begs the question; Why aren't we playing with double-blind rules?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Affi posted:

Sorta are. We just haven't been in scenarios where they're all that relevant yet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

Because it would triple my bookkeeping, and then the updates would take 3-4 times as long.

radintorov posted:

Speaking of the Stackpole rule, are you going to use the optional "fusion reactors can blow up" rule?

No, I never will. Why? Because it follows my golden rule: If it's optional and annoying, I wont' do it. The Stackpole Rule is annoying.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I just meant that MegaMek could track all of that, but you aren't using Megamek?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

I just meant that MegaMek could track all of that, but you aren't using Megamek?

I'd have to alternate movements if I was playing Megamek, which would require save-states which Megamek doesn't appear to support. I.E. It doesn't let me do things quite the way I want.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Having an interesting game against the computer that I started for practice. Mixed group of mechs, fair amount of them. But my valiant little Jenner manages to crit and destroy the engine and gyro of a Highlander in one volley. I wanted to pat it on the head. :3:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Trast posted:

Having an interesting game against the computer that I started for practice. Mixed group of mechs, fair amount of them. But my valiant little Jenner manages to crit and destroy the engine and gyro of a Highlander in one volley. I wanted to pat it on the head. :3:

Don't do that. It might break. :v:

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

Trast posted:

I finished up a game last night playing a Timber Wolf Prime against my friend's 4 Inner Sphere 3025 heavies/mediums. I got 3(!) large laser headshots on three consecutive turns. Three 'Mechs just dropped from decapitation. I was sure my friend was going to come over and punch me.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, it's that time of the week again. Time for me to work another back-to-back shift. I'm working on the update now, but I doubt I'll be done tonite. Sorry, everyone. :C

So, to start a new discussion: How would you personally rate the 5 successor states (Draconis Combine, Federated Suns, Lyran Commonwealth, Capellan Confederation, Free Worlds League) in order of power, and why (3025-3028 era)?

I have a writeup for this comparison in the game's timeline that I'll probably be showing soon.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 25, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, it's that time of the week again. Time for me to work another back-to-back shift. I'm working on the update now, but I doubt I'll be done tonite. Sorry, everyone. :C

So, to start a new discussion: How would you personally rate the 5 successor states (Draconis Combine, Federated Suns, Lyran Commonwealth, Capellan Confederation, Free Worlds League) in order of power, and why (3025-3028 era)?

I have a writeup for the game's timeline that I'll probably be showing soon.

Lord Macaulay completes his epic history:
'The MOST POWERFUL Successor States in the Galaxy'
1. The Glorious State of the Federated Suns
2. The Great State of the Lyran Commonwealth
3. The Fine State of the Free Worlds League
4. The Mediocre State of the Draconis Combine
5. The Pathetic State of the Capellan Confederation

1. Protagonist faction
2. Married to the protagonist faction
3. The other white faction
4. Didn't lose as much as the Capellan Confederation in the 4th succession war
5. Capellan Confederation

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Longinus00 posted:

Lord Macaulay completes his epic history:
'The MOST POWERFUL Successor States in the Galaxy'
1. The Glorious State of the Federated Suns
2. The Great State of the Lyran Commonwealth
3. The Fine State of the Free Worlds League
4. The Mediocre State of the Draconis Combine
5. The Pathetic State of the Capellan Confederation

1. Protagonist faction
2. Married to the protagonist faction
3. The other white faction
4. Didn't lose as much as the Capellan Confederation in the 4th succession war
5. Capellan Confederation

I don't know enough BT lore to comment more than this: I think that Marik is way, way too high on this list. Better than Kurita? I doubt it.

I'd say, perhaps:

Davion is more powerful than Steiner and Kurita, and those two are more powerful than Marik or Liao. Can't really put good reasons behind it, though.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1. Federated Suns - Plot Armour

2. Draconis Combine - Great leaders, great warriors. Stupid evil and stupid honour makes them #2

3. Lyran Commonwealth - Not great, not bad

4. Free Worlds League - The OTHER white meat

5. Capellan Confederation - Capellans

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

David Corbett posted:

I don't know enough BT lore to comment more than this: I think that Marik is way, way too high on this list. Better than Kurita? I doubt it.

I'd say, perhaps:

Davion is more powerful than Steiner and Kurita, and those two are more powerful than Marik or Liao. Can't really put good reasons behind it, though.

Way, way too high? They can't really get much lower...

I took the liberty of including the 4th succession war in my rankings since it started in 3028. LC went 53:2 vs. DC in the 4th succession war.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Slaan posted:

1. Federated Suns - Plot Armour

2. Draconis Combine - Great leaders, great warriors. Stupid evil and stupid honour makes them #2

3. Lyran Commonwealth - Not great, not bad

4. Free Worlds League - The OTHER white meat

5. Capellan Confederation - Capellans

I pretty much agree with this ranking. Also:

quote:

I have a writeup for the game's timeline that I'll probably be showing soon.

eeeeee :allears:

• Locked thread