Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
This has just appeared on the Guardian breaking news section:

quote:

Breaking news:
LATEST: David Cameron advises all Britons in Libya to leave immediately. More details soon ...

I thought most people were already trying to leave & a broken plane and soon-to-be-retired frigate had been sent?

Is Gadaffi about to blow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm guessing the EU or UN are planning to announce something that'll piss off Gaddafi, and possibly make him target foreigners.

Russell William Thorpe
Nov 18, 2004
According to Al Jazeera all the diplomats at the embassy in India have defected, which for some reason strikes me as being a critical sign that Khadafi is truly going to be gone soon- doesn't that seem like a sign of 'no going back'? . The battle of Tripoli is not going to be pretty though, and who knows how long he could hold a little Khadafi-stan there.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Yeah, the Mosques in Tripoli are surrounded by security forces, and the people have been receiving txts organising a massive protest in Tripoli after Friday prayers.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Biplane posted:

This is from a couple of pages ago, but this system seems like it would be incredibly easy to game and exploit. Am I missing something here?

You're not missing anything. Speculating in commodities is just as insane and gameable as it sounds.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
There seems to be a golden lining to every shadow:

quote:

1156: A Tripoli resident emails the BBC's Arabic Service, saying: "The situation is very tense. We don't know what will happen after prayers. We are fearful. There are queues for bread and fuel. Also my internet connection is faster than anything I have experienced before. I am suspicious. We were not attacked from the air, but the terror we lived through on Sunday and Monday was unimaginable."

I would assume that this is because many Tripolitans don't have internet connections at home, and as public places (offices, libraries, net cafes) are closed and many have fled anyway, those who can use internet have all the bandwidth for themselves.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Nenonen posted:

There seems to be a golden lining to every shadow:

I would assume that this is because many Tripolitans don't have internet connections at home, and as public places (offices, libraries, net cafes) are closed and many have fled anyway, those who can use internet have all the bandwidth for themselves.

..or some sysadmin said "screw this!" and removed bandwith caps.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

That could be it too, I guess. Or if they have a surveillance/censorship system in place (I don't know how interwebs work in dictatorships like these???) slowing things down, maybe it's turned off. Someone who knows how internet access is generally organized in despotic third world countries might explain.

Russell William Thorpe
Nov 18, 2004
"Those who call for chaos will not be forgiven on the Day of Judgment. Stay away from internal fighting. We have to stay away from any evil and wrong doing. Whoever disobeys the ruler is disobeying God. We have to stay away from incitement work for unity." -Bill O'Reilly, 2004

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Some updates from Reuters:

quote:

Reuters has just filed an interesting piece from Benghazi. Here are the key points:

• Zawiyah, a coastal town west of Tripoli, is under the control of protesters.

• Prosecutor-general Abdul-Rahman al-Abbar has become the latest senior official to resign and join the opposition.

• Navi Pillay, the UN high commissioner for human rights, said "thousands" may have been killed or injured and called for international intervention to protect civilians.

• Despite calls by text message (see 11.46am) and via Facebook for mass demonstrations in Tripoli today, it seems the capital is still firmly under the control of Gaddafi's troops. Residents say they are staying inside unless forced to search for supplies.

• In Adjabiya, in the east, the army and police have told al-Jazeera that they had withdrawn from their barracks and joined the opposition.

• The cities freed from Gaddafi's control are being ruled by committees of lawyers, doctors, tribal elders and army officers - with little sign of Islamist involvement. Benghazi, the country's second city, is being ruled by a group called the February 17 coalition. One member said the rebels controlled nearly all oil fields east of the key Ras Lanauf terminal, and another said oil deals with foreign firms that were "legal and to the benefit of the Libyan people" would be honoured. But Bank of America Merrill Lynch said crude production in Libya was likely to shut completely and could be lost for a long time.

Reuters also reported on WikiLeaks revelations that "Gaddafi's grip on power could depend in part on the performance around Tripoli of an elite military unit led by one of his younger sons". The news agency reports:

quote:

Libya's 32nd Brigade, led by Gaddafi's son Khamees, is the most elite of three last-ditch "regime protection units" totalling about 10,000 men. They are better equipped and more loyal to Gaddafi than the rest of the military, which has seen heavy desertion, officials said.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The saddest update:

quote:

Libya's state TV shows footage of what it says is Tripoli's "Green Square now". There are about 50 demonstrators at most in the shot, carrying pictures of Col Gaddafi. Someone is heard shouting pro-Gaddafi slogans and chanting "Popular revolution" and "We are Libyans".

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Eyewitnesses in Tripoli say that security forces are now shooting at protesters in the capital's suburbs.

quote:

More on the shooting reported by eyewitnesses in Tripoli's suburbs. Privately-owned Libyapress website reports that worshippers went out to demonstrate peacefully after Friday prayers and were met by a large number of security forces who clashed with the protesters, using live rounds against them.

quote:

At least five protesters have been killed in Tripoli's Janzour district, a local resident tells Reuters.

quote:

ShababLibya tweets: "The situation in Tripoli is NOW***** critical, gun shots tear gas and arrests."

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 25, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Tweets from Tripoli:
Al Jazeera: Major airbase near #Tripoli declares mutiny and joins the people

Al Arabiya: Eyewitnesses: Demonstrators killed in random firing in the Friday Market of Tripoli

Al Arabiya: Demonstrators chant anti Gaddafi slogans in Fashloom district east of Tripoli.

Al Hurra: Security forces shoot at protesters in Tripoli & reports of mercenaries pulling bodies to side streets & from hospitals.

Al Jazeera: two deaths & others injured in protests in the Tripoli districts of Fashloom, Zawiya, Ben Ashour, Dahmani & Seyahiya.

Mass protests now breaking out in #Tripoli, heading towards Martyrs Square, including women. Gunfire.

Demonstrators taking live fire as they move towards Green Square

The violence is escalating in #Tripoli live ammo heard and armed men seen in a number of neighborhoods in city center

youths from Tajoura are headed towards central #Tripoli , eyewitness estimates 6000 youths

CONFIRMED: Gunshots and resistance all over #Tripoli #Libya. Victory is soon inshallah!

LPC EYEWITNESS: tens of thousands of protesters in the streets throughout #Tripoli.

bomb guys i heard bomb alot of gun shot please help

"a guy we know just died"

spirits are high as usual, government propaganda did not deter them, the numbers are increasing

Reinforcements from Misurata Zawya Zintan Benghazi have arrived at the outskirts of #Tripoli to support demonstrators

Gunfire shots and people screaming for their lives now in seea7ya

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Brown Moses posted:

bomb guys i heard bomb alot of gun shot please help

Oh dear :ohdear:

It's so different hearing the first hand stuff vs. hearing news reported

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More from Tripoli, wish I understood arabic:

URGENT: All Protesters in #Tripoli please head to Dahra and Mustashfat al Sukar on the coastal Road

fighting in six districts of #Tripoli, people have decided now they can bear this no longer,fight or die

journalist Nizar Kawan in #Tripoli #Libya confirms that #Gaddafi security forces are shooting at #feb17 demonstrators

Tripoli finally got the chance it needed to move together. Today is the end game for Gaddafi inshallah. God help us

Confirmed by AJA , #Tajoura army joins protesters

UNCONFIRMED: Gaddafi forces surrounding #Tripoli airport #feb17 #libya can anyone confirm?

my friend called me crying hysterically, there was a massacre in soug aljouma

ALL of #Tripoli is out Oh #Allah please stand with the people of #Libya and let this be their victorious battle

My friend say bomb and gun everywhere in several areas in #Tripoli

Protesters are gaining momentum....more and more.

Oh Allah spread the revolution to every corner of #Tripoli Oh Allah protect them save them and give them strength Ameen Ameen

LPC from #Tripoli: There is heavy gunfire.

where is the loving media in #tripoli? there is a massacre happening right now in soug aljoumaa NOW

Confirmed: a thousand protestors along with the army are coming from #tajoura to #tripoli #Libya LET'S DO THIS!!!

We will defeat him today #Tripoli we are stronger than #Gaddafi in numbers and in determination. #Libya will be free.

Libya State TV broadcasted clerics in #Tripoli Friday mosque saying sinful to protest against #Gaddafi regime, but that didn't work.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Some serious poo poo is going down today :(

About the protests in Iraq, is it even possible for anything to happen there? Let's be honest, we control that country :/

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It sounds like it's getting really crazy in Tripoli, really fast:

here is the update.. we were threatened not to go out with arms people one of them asked to burn the mosque while we were inside

Tweeting while I'm crying my people...and my heart almost can handel it... So here is wt happen.

heared lot of gunfire on Zaiwa Street while I am back home.

UNDER ATTACK!!! ALL AREAS! #MERCENARIES SHOOTING ON SIGHT! PRAY FOR THEM! WHERE'S THE MEDIA GONE? PRAY 4 THEM

Police and #Gaddafi Revolutionary Guards shooting at protesters in #Tripoli

LPC EYEWITNESS: The #Tripoli airport is surrounded by #Gaddafi forces

AjEnglish what the heck are you all doing? there's an out-an-out assault by #Gadaffi on protesters in #tripoli !! Pls update your broadcast

Lots of accounts that Qaddafi forces opened fire 30" ago on protesters in #Tripoli, #Libya. Toll uncertain.

Allah grant us strength!!

Heavy gunfire coming from Green Sq area #Tripoli where #Libya protesters had hoped to go.

Tripoli has figured it out...spontaneous protests everywhere. Security forces scramble to settle things down.

Tripoli contact reports if U stp nxt 2 mercenary jeep in traffic, U must shout "Al-Fatah" (support 4 #Gaddafi) or U get shot

Just spoke to my grandma in #Tripoli..says thousands are going to be slaughtered by tonight.The Final Battle.This is it. God help

Interview on AlJaz Guy says now a 70km ring of protest around central #Tripoli

Large demonstration now coming from Tajoura. arrived in Arada road. confirmed .. one of my friend now on 11 June Road.

Eyewitness tells BBC that troops loyal to #Gaddafi opened fire on worshippers during Friday prayers in #Tripoli

Clashes in Al Seyahia, Fashloom, Souq El Juma'a, Dahmani quarters in #tripoli

pro #gaddafi preventing protesters to reach the green square, they are everywhere

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

By the time the international community decides on what to do it'll be all over by the sounds of it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well, gently caress.

On the other hand, this was always going to happen based on how CQ was acting. I guess sooner is better than later.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Brown Moses posted:

By the time the international community decides on what to do it'll be all over by the sounds of it.

I doubt this comes as a surprise to anyone. It is always nice to know that when it really gets down to it you're all on your own.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Brown Moses posted:

More from Tripoli, wish I understood arabic:

From a quick glance at the #libya and #tripoli hashtags, it looks like actual information is largely in English. Most of the Arabic tweets were well-wishers and condemnations of Gaddafi and stuff.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I worry about what kind of desperate measures CQ might employ once he is cornered.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

Brown Moses posted:

Oh yeah, they should have done something about it a week ago. The world will be remembered for their strong words while Libya burned.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Loads of protesters marching from all over Tripolo and it's outskirts to the centre, some with soldiers. This seems like the beginning of the end.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Brown Moses posted:

Don't do drugs
Keep away from guns
Respect your parents

Gaddifi's just listing off Mr T's Ten Commandments.

I pity the fool

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Don't expect the UN to do much of anything, as if that is a surprise, because it seems Russia and China are doing everything they can to prop up Gaddafi in every discussion that they have about Libya and the current situation.

Russia has a hell of a lot at stake in keeping Gadaffi in power, because they are single biggest investor in the oil & gas sectors in Libya.

Still, it does seem as if the U.N. is trying to take a stronger position to the current crisis, but it will probably be too little, too late.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More from Twitter:
a friend died now, his father answered crying. i'm trying to control myself

Eyewitnesse in #Tripoli: imams have been imposed the Friday preach, calling protesters to "go back to stability".

Mitiga barraks reported have joined people and now marching with people from Tajoura towards center of the #Tripoli...

BREAKING: #Tripoli is chaotic and this could be the end, we are so proud of our capital from all over

Reports that security in Souq al Juma, #Tripoli are retreating due to the sheer number of protesters

Numbers of wounded and dead in #Tripoli escalating

Tajura protestors have arrived to #Tripoli God is Great May Allah grant them victory Ameen Ameen Ameen!

now reinforcements from at least 5 cities, numbering tens of thousands, including army, now marching to #Tripoli

Heavy gun fire every where in #Tripoli #Gadafi Militia are moving toward Martyrs SQ right now passing through eye wittness

Tripoli is boiling in many areas protesters determined to finish #Ghaddafi today

"Heavy Gunfire" heard in Ben Ashour area (East of down Tripoli) 15 minutes ago.

The people of Zaywa, who are armed (primarily AK-47s) have announced that they are moving on to #Tripoli.

Dahra, Mizran, protesters being shot at, heading to Martyrs Square

CNN reporting snipers shooting artillery fire upon #Tripoli protesters, women & children among the wounded

AJArabic: Information suggests Gaddafi only has true control of BabAl3azizya compund in #Tripoli! God let the regime end today!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Ziir posted:

About the protests in Iraq, is it even possible for anything to happen there? Let's be honest, we control that country :/

You don't control Iraq to the extent where a popular uprising would be doomed to fail. Most of US forces have been pulled out or sent to A-stan, and the remainder's main purpose is to help in training Iraqi army and police. They wouldn't be able to control whole cities revolting, and at this stage USA wouldn't be willing to send reinforcements unless Iran invaded or something.

Also, the Iraqi government itself is too fragile and divided to really stand up against large protests - eg. the Sunnis and Kurds might barely be able to support the government if the Shias took it to the streets, but if the whole nation was like that then the government just would have nothing to base its power on. Personally, I think Iraq is a failed state and will end just like Yugoslavia.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If Gaddafi isn't on a plane/boat/something right now he's even more insane than I thought he was previously.

Settepotet
Jul 10, 2009
Holy gently caress. Got chills while reading the tweets.

This is bad, bad, bad. I truly admire the courage the protesting libyans show. I hope the army supports them, and end this poo poo right now.

Go libyans!

the floor is baklava
May 4, 2003

SHAME
I'm not feeling too caught up in the issue of what the rest of the world should do, other than try to head off a humanitarian crisis. It is not up to the "international community" to affect the ongoing clashes decisively, as long as the anti-Gaddafi forces don't dilly-dally—and it appears they understand that. I think how events have panned out since Tunisia first flared up should give us a hint that the world is no longer in our hands so much. That was a major purpose for their taking place, after all.

Anyway, if any outside country got too heavily involved, it could jeopardize the safety of their citizens in Libya.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The best thing the international community can do now is provide aid to ensure post Gaddafi Libya isn't destablised by shortages of basic stuff like food and water. As the oil fields are untouched I'm sure the international community will want to get on the good side of the Libyans as soon as possible.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

fap fap SPLOOGE posted:

I'm not feeling too caught up in the issue of what the rest of the world should do, other than try to head off a humanitarian crisis. It is not up to the "international community" to affect the ongoing clashes decisively, as long as the anti-Gaddafi forces don't dilly-dally—and it appears they understand that. I think how events have panned out since Tunisia first flared up should give us a hint that the world is no longer in our hands so much. That was a major purpose for their taking place, after all.

Anyway, if any outside country got too heavily involved, it could jeopardize the safety of their citizens in Libya.

My problem with the reaction of the international community is that it's just been vague empty words. It's just "strong words" or "we reject the violence used in Libya" instead of "Gaddafi has proven himself unfit to lead and must step down and face his punishment" because everyone is so loving scared that if they did that and the protesters fail (they won't) they'll lose out on all their precious Libyan oil that they're so dependent on.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Man. I hope they're at least using self-defense against the mercenaries, preferably with bullets.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Spiky Ooze posted:

Man. I hope they're at least using self-defense against the mercenaries, preferably with bullets.

They're unarmed.
That's a bit of a problem.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Holy gently caress. I just picture these guys in the thick of this poo poo writing tweets as fast as they can while bullets go whizzing overhead.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Man I've got a really bad case of the eff-fives right now.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sounds like soldiers and armed protesters are joining them from the outskirts of Tripoli, and the pro-Gaddafi security forces are struggling to keep things under control because protesters are all over Tripoli.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Best way to keep up to date is looking at the #Tripoli tag on twitter. If you type it into Google and search for realtime results you'll get them just streaming in constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

quote:

@almosbea: 10000 from Tajoura protesters march towards #TRIPOLI

That is awesome.

quote:

RT @Thanku4theanger: AJA: Protesters headed to ambulances to put wounded then Mercs came out of ambulances and started shooting! #libya #feb17

This not so much :(

• Locked thread