Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
breaklaw
May 12, 2008
Let's not forget about Bahrain.

Huge numbers at the Pearl Roundabout and beyond:

Today:

So far no reports of violence thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Are the blackshirted guys police?

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

Brown Moses posted:

Best way to keep up to date is looking at the #Tripoli tag on twitter. If you type it into Google and search for realtime results you'll get them just streaming in constantly.

Yeah.

But this is the best site for monitoring twitter, for those who don't know.

http://twitterfall.com/

Just plug in #tripoli and watch the stream come through. You can do exclusions and all kinds of neat things. Twitter's search interface and the ajax-y update is not that good.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

quote:

maya2in1‎ RT @EnoughGaddafi: Mitiga barraks reported have joined people and now marching with people from Tajoura towards center of the #Tripoli #libya #feb17
Twitter - seconds ago

Sounds like the end is nigh. Said Gaddaffi said that his father won't destroy the oil wells in an interview with CNN, but who knows how much truth there is to that.

e: or if he's even capable of doing it at this point.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Apparently planes heading to Tripoli are turning back and returning to their original airports. I'm seeing on Twitter that the rebels have captured an airport in Tripoli, not sure they mean the commercial airport or the air base that was mentioned earlier.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Monkeytime posted:

Sounds like the end is nigh. Said Gaddaffi said that his father won't destroy the oil wells in an interview with CNN, but who knows how much truth there is to that.

e: or if he's even capable of doing it at this point.

The rebels control most of the oil wells already, so that's not going to be a problem.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Are the blackshirted guys police?

I think those are women in Abayas (on the right there). Bahraini police have tan matching uniforms.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

The rebels control most of the oil wells already, so that's not going to be a problem.

unless he's willing to use air strikes. I imagine the rebels doesn't have all that much AA present, or know how to use it in any case.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Apparently planes heading to Tripoli are turning back and returning to their original airports. I'm seeing on Twitter that the rebels have captured an airport in Tripoli, not sure they mean the commercial airport or the air base that was mentioned earlier.

Here's an interesting site that lets you monitor global air traffic:

http://www.flightradar24.com/

It looks like there's a Turkish Airlines 777 that's still on course for Tripoli. The others look like they've turned back.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Crowley posted:

unless he's willing to use air strikes. I imagine the rebels doesn't have all that much AA present, or know how to use it in any case.

Does he even have an air force left to carry out air strikes? It seems like whenever a Libyan gets in a plane they end up defecting or ejecting.

e: On a lighter note,

Click here for the full 634x720 image.

Osama in your Nescafe, huh?

Narmi fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 25, 2011

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Brown Moses posted:

The Tweets I've seen said that it was the 'military airport' - so I'm guessing the air base. Certainly, a few responses to it talked about bombing Gudaffi's compound.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Earlier we heard reports that the Mitiga airbase had defected to anti-Gaddafi supporters. Martin Chulov tweets to confirm:

quote:

@martinchulov The Mitiga air base is confirmed to have fallen in Tripoli. #Libya. #Ghaddafi. Planes that strafed citizens took off from here.

Ian Black, the Guardian's Middle East editor, gives some context as to how much of a blow this could be for Gaddafi and his supporters:

quote:

If Mitiga air base near Tripoli is confirmed as having gone over to the Libyan popular uprising it would be a serious blow for the regime close to the heart of the capital. The military base is adjacent to a civilian airport used for domestic and some short-haul international flights.

Mitiga has figured before at dramatic moments in Libyan history. It was a primary target of the US bombing in 1986 — retaliation for Libyan involvement in alleged terrorist attacks on US servicemen in Europe. Soviet personnel were based the during the cold war. Until shortly after Gaddafi's 1969 revolution June 1970, the US air force used the facility, then known as Wheelus air base.

Be interesting to see if the rebels have access to aircraft that could bomb Gaddafi's compound.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

cioxx posted:

Yeah.

But this is the best site for monitoring twitter, for those who don't know.

http://twitterfall.com/

Just plug in #tripoli and watch the stream come through.

That's pretty crazy. I've never liked twitter but I have to say for these purposes it's fascinating.

Also sounds like there's going to be a lot of reinforcement arriving in Tripoli today. It would be amazing if they take the city in one day.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's reports on Twitter of armed protesters shooting back at mercenaries, tens of thousands of people on the streets, and more pouring into the centre of Tripoli. The Tajoura protesters are about 10km from Green Square, and are apparently with the army.

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

There's a good saying in Middle East which goes: "Until you've seen the last, you won't remember the first."

It's hard to explain this but I'll put it in current context. Remember when Mubarak sent out his thugs to shoot and throw rocks at people in Tahrir Square? People thought it was one of the most evil things he could do. Now Gaddafi having upped the game it makes Mubarak look like George Washington who stepped down / was forced out. The situation in Egypt in #Jan25 looked like the Wisconin protests compared to this poo poo.

And it's getting worse and worse. Every time the revolution levels up to another nation the End Boss inflicts more damage on the people.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not big on suggesting the International Community get involved in any way militarily and I think the reaction thus far has been fairly well measured to keep their citizens safe until evacuation.

The only think that I've thought might have been called for is when the Libyan Air Force was used against their protesters, an international "no fly zone" would have kept that in check. Luckily, it seems that very few actually carried those orders out so the need for such was minimal. But if it had escalated even further, would this have been something that could have been feasible and called for? I don't know but air power is a very scary thing when it comes to mostly unarmed, peaceful protesters.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Libyan revolution is full of dark humour, like this for example:

quote:

While people like Ali Tweel (see previous entry) are saying that thousands of Libyans in Tripoli are joining Gaddafi opponents marching to Green Square, Libyan state TV is reporting that supporters of the Colonel, including ''men and women, youth and children'' are heading to Green Square to ''support and take pride in the leader of the revolution".

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

The Turkish Airlines flight has turned around now too.

I suspect they all think once they land, there's no chance of taking off again.

e: holy poo poo just listening to Al Jazeera English, they had someone call in, he couldn't speak good English so he talked in Arabic while they got a translator on it..

The translator was translating the phone call..which was in Arabic..the guy talking abuot a march somewhere, to a cemetery, where they were fired upon .. then the translator mid-flow switched to "give me the phone give me the phone you cannot speak to Al Jazeera"

now the line has gone dead :frown:

gently caress

oversteer fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 25, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I read the a Canadian flight had to take off without passangers, it looks like the Turkish flight is circling at the moment, they probably don't know what's going on.

Also, I think we can safely use this : :fork:

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
OH gently caress!! The guy on AJE just got the phone taken away and people yelling " Give me the phone"

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
drat, I hope that guy is OK, holy poo poo.

edit: At first I thought, "Oh, his buddy or someone also wants to talk and they are arguing. Then I realized a different voice was speaking. That sucks.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
Guest just got their phone taken away while speaking live on AJE.

EDIT: As many other people noted above me!

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

oversteer posted:

The Turkish Airlines flight has turned around now too.

I suspect they all think once they land, there's no chance of taking off again.

It looks like no one's going in or out-- an Air Canada charter was forced to take off empty before it could pick up any fleeing foreigners.

Really chilling moment on AJE right now. A caller from Tripoli was describing the scene there when someone took his phone and said "give me your phone, you cannot talk to al-Jazeera" before cutting the transmission.

e: beaten on both counts

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

That sucks. I hope he's ok :ohdear:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The AJE Live blog's last entry is about how much Gaddafi looks like some celebrities, and this image, probably not the most accurate reflection of the current situation:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
Caller from tripoli on AJ livestream was speaking and was intercepted by security in the middle of call. Person yelling you cant speak to al jazeera. Then caller gone.

WTF

edit: beaten like CG

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Among reports of people being shot there's also an increasing number of reports of mercenaries retreating, and areas been declared held by the protesters. It's really starting to look like the day Gaddafi loses Tripoli, especially if friendly military units start moving into the city.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
The US embassy has a chartered plane leaving from Mitiga airfield, the one that was seized by anti-government forces just hours ago. Makes me wonder if there hasn't been more contact between the US and the Libyan protest movement than has been made public.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I think the fact it's secure enough for the US to use is very interesting as well.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Monkeytime posted:

The US embassy has a chartered plane leaving from Mitiga airfield, the one that was seized by anti-government forces just hours ago. Makes me wonder if there hasn't been more contact between the US and the Libyan protest movement than has been made public.

I would bet :10bux: the cia is shaping certain things to "cause" things like that.
The U.S. likely has all kinds of agents in a country like Libya.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Rkelly posted:

I would bet :10bux: the cia is shaping certain things to "cause" things like that.

I was going to say the same thing. It would be very naive to think otherwise.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

My old man is in the Beda oilfield and communications have been obviously erratic, but he reckons he has enough food and homebrew and is going to wait it out. I think he is hoping to fill the despot role that will shortly be hiring.

One thing I can't work out, though, is he still had a UK passport ( held ion Tripoli for the visa) but he is a Spanish citizen since he moved out there 6 years ago, got his redidencia etc. Is he the UK's problem or the EU, or is it open season on getting out? I think he is stupid staying there, but if there is one charateristic he holds dear, its being an obstinate oval office.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Rkelly posted:

Of course the CIA has agents in Libya. It is naive to assume that they would be helping the rebellion though.

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

DevNull posted:

Of course the CIA has agents in Libya. It is naive to assume that they would be helping the rebellion though.

What makes you say that? Why would CIA bet on a losing horse?

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Reading these Tweets...it sounds like the Battle of Berlin or something. You've got the crazy dictator and all of his cronies held up in a small city desperately trying to force a populace into sticking with them.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Trickjaw posted:

One thing I can't work out, though, is he still had a UK passport ( held ion Tripoli for the visa) but he is a Spanish citizen since he moved out there 6 years ago, got his redidencia etc. Is he the UK's problem or the EU, or is it open season on getting out? I think he is stupid staying there, but if there is one charateristic he holds dear, its being an obstinate oval office.

He is still a British Citizen. I don't think a Residencia entitles him to diplomatic protection from Spain.

If he needs a new passport then the British embassy staff at whichever port should be able to provide him one. If he ends up in Malta, etc then I'm sure they'll process it there.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

The thing is, western governments can certainly cooperate with these movements behind the scenes, because the main threat is public assistance leading to dictators saying the protests are western-backed. I wouldn't be surprised if several governments were doing all sorts of things to aid these movements.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Every day I check this thread and the BBC news site hoping to see something like "Gaddafi strung up from lamppost: violence ends". But it just seems that things are getting worse and worse as Gaddafi becomes more cornered.

What's really depressing is that what's happening in Libya will probably be nothing compared to what might happen if uprisings start in places like Myanmar or North Korea.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Very excited to see this may end today. Thanks Brown Moses for the updates, your helping alot!

I was thinking while reading those tweets I wondered how many may be exaggerated to get more support from the international community. PR campaigns work both ways right? I'm not saying the overwhelming majority aren't true, but it is anonymous right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

quote:

BREAKING: Reports of a split between members of the Khamis brigade, when confirmed this should signal the end of the tyrant #Libya #Feb17

What's the Khamis brigade?

• Locked thread