Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Xandu posted:

I don't think it did.

Ok, "arguably". It was endorsed by the UN after the fact anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Furious Mittens posted:

To be fair, I'll be glad to bitch about the United States stepping all over business in the U.N. to fit their needs, just like Russia and China. It's a political body and that's to be expected.

I'm not sure what anyone would expect the UN to do, given it's authority. I'm just glad that there is at least some recognition of the situation and that some of the member states are acting in unison. I think that's a good thing to come out of this body.

I'm a liberal by the way, just to head off any accusation of being a conservative because of my "BUT RUSSIA AND CHINA!" comments.

*E* I would be interested in the NO FLY ZONE proposal. Have we heard of any more Air Force involvement in suppression of the revolution? If so, this might be something to seriously take into consideration.

No problems, I'm perfectly happy to admit that the SC is dysfunctional at the best of times, and that the UN has it's faults.
It's the Anti-UN attitude pandered around by those who don't understand its purpose, how it works, or what it's accomplished which irritate me, and there was a lot of them earlier.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

VikingSkull posted:

A no-fly zone isn't out of the realm of possibility, but it's going to take some time to get the political will behind it and then set it up. Peacekeepers are a ways off at best, and a coalition of the willing with a UN mandate behind it isn't going to happen at all.

It probably will happen, if the acts of violence and suppression from Air Power continue. It's probably the "easiest" action that could be taken without an extreme appearance of outside meddling in the countries affairs. Logistically, it's much easier to send a carrier group offshore than it is to mobilize peacekeepers and figure that mess out. There's probably already several carrier groups from various nations in the area that could get stationed fairly quickly, given authorization and orders.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

VikingSkull posted:

Let's try and focus on the realistic solutions the international community can engage in instead of cheerleading another rushed, ill-advised war, ok everyone?

Well I think many of things needed are excruciatingly obvious: as many medical personal and supplies as possible, as free and protected press as possible, and protection for peaceful protesters.

What this situation has really exposed is the international "community" doesn't exist to provide those things. The UN is a philosophy club that gets together to scold the bad things in the world, but its capacities to take action aren't real.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You would not need a carrier group I'd think. Libya is easily reachable from European and Asian air bases I wager.

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
I'm not going to say that

VikingSkull posted:

Can someone explain to me how a group of people can be victims of genocide while capturing vast swaths of territory at the same time?

Rwanda?

Unless you mean the rebel force itself and not the group as a whole?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

euphronius posted:

The UN SC authorized Bush's invasion.

I think it was UNSC R 1441.

No they didn't
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3661134.stm

Bush did his own thing.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

euphronius posted:

You could understand why the US would be hesitant to support such a precedent.

Ouch :(

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

euphronius posted:

You would not need a carrier group I'd think. Libya is easily reachable from European and Asian air bases I wager.

Yeah I was gonna post this. The US has bases all over there, from Italy outward. Any allies going in would have our tanker assets and their own.

If France is a dear this time around a carrier won't be used if a no-fly zone is set up. They might send one for extra fuckage but it doesn't matter either way.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

Probably not. I was mainly thinking about the United States (see even us liberals get a U.S. centric viewpoint from time to time!). I'm sure some European countries wouldn't mind their bases being used and the U.S. bases in Europe are hosted primarily in countries that would most likely already be on board.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
The US has put in place sanctions and the EU has drawn up a set of sanctions including travel bans, arms embargo and freezing of assets.

Speaking of the UN, and anyone else surprised that the top three contributers of troops to peacekeeping operations are India, Bangladesh and Pakistan?

Gadaffi posted:

If the people of Lybia don't love me then I don't deserve to live
Oops.

Jut fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 25, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
The ICC referral is really important as well.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Jut posted:

Speaking of the UN, and anyone else surprised that the top three contributers of troops to peacekeeping operations are India, Bangladesh and Pakistan?

When the US was in Somalia in the 1990s I saw a news piece about the involvement of Pakistan in the UN, it's pretty astounding.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

VikingSkull posted:

When the US was in Somalia in the 1990s I saw a news piece about the involvement of Pakistan in the UN, it's pretty astounding.

It's pretty awesome given that other members of the UN don't like paying their contributions (and I'm not just talking about the US).

Speaking of QC, does anyone think it's possible he actually thinks he's doing the best for Lybia's independence and believes these protests are due to outside forces? I don't mean to play devils advocate, but the longer a dictator is in power, the further from reality he is kept (Hitler ordering around non-existent troops, Ceausescu going to inspect wooden apples etc...).

Jut fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 25, 2011

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Jut posted:

It's pretty awesome given that other members of the UN don't like paying their contributions (and I'm not just talking about the US).

The US involvement with the UN is hilariously sad, but the troop involvement makes sense because it's a given that we're probably leading a UN force, yet want to retain sole command over our troops. That part is understandable, I guess, and we aren't the only nation that operates like that.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Jut posted:

Speaking of QC, does anyone think it's possible he actually thinks he's doing the best for Lybia's independence and believes these protests are due to outside forces? I don't mean to play devils advocate, but the longer a dictator is in power, the further from reality he is kept (Hitler ordering around non-existent troops, Ceausescu going to inspect wooden apples etc...).

I wonder if it's any of the above? It seems his disconnect from reality has direct impact on the events that are happening. I wonder if his advisors understand his disconnect and have been providing him false information in order to save their own lives cause he might flip out?

e: I mean that not that he's being kept from information from his government, but that he truly can't grasp the consequences and... I don't even know how describe it (see below.)

Mental instability and the idea of a connection to reality is a very interesting thing. But associate that with power and money creates a very caustic situation.

I'd like to do some research into how humans actually understand reality and how our brains connect to it.

Sivias fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 25, 2011

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Sivias posted:

I wonder if it's any of the above? It seems his disconnect from reality has direct impact on the events that are happening. I wonder if his advisors understand his disconnect and have been providing him false information in order to save their own lives cause he might flip out?

Mental instability and the idea of a connection to reality is a very interesting thing. But associate that with power and money creates a very cautious situation.

I'd like to do some research into how humans actually understand reality and how our brains connect to it.

Well what fascinates me about dictatorships is that they usually start out great and the people benefit. But they end in such lovely ways. I'm interested in how a dictator goes from sweeping reforms to benefit his subjects, to batshit insane mass murdering twat.

As for the advisors, towards the end, Hitlers advisors had turning into dribbling yes men, and Ceausescu was quite blatantly kept in a dream world by the people surrounding him, to the point where people would arrange for the leaves on trees to be painted green before his visits, supermarkets stocked with painted wooden fruit, mass pro-Ceausescu rallies and shows etc...He genuinely seemed surprised during his final address to the people. It's one of the reasons that these CQ turncoats disgust me, they were the people supporting and helping him rule the country.

I just don't buy that all dictators are mentally ill.

Edit: LOL at AJE cutting off boring, ranting London guy.

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:
Has Osama or anyone from Al-Qaeda even put out some sort of comment about any of this? In particular I would be interested in what Osama has to say about Gaddafi putting the blame on him and his group for providing drugs.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

rndm posted:

Has Osama or anyone from Al-Qaeda even put out some sort of comment about any of this? In particular I would be interested in what Osama has to say about Gaddafi putting the blame on him and his group for providing drugs.

Due to the way they're hiding, it usually takes weeks for their messages to get out. The only high level messages so far from Al Qaeda were from Zawahiri, an Egyptian and the first didn't come out until the 18th of February.

edit: oops, forgot to attach them, here you go

http://jihadology.net/2011/02/18/as...eople-in-egypt/
http://jihadology.net/2011/02/24/as...le-in-egypt%94/

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
I'm not going to say that

Jut posted:

The US has put in place sanctions and the EU has drawn up a set of sanctions including travel bans, arms embargo and freezing of assets.

Oops.

The UN pays them to send troops and they actually end up making a small amount on the missions.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Zawia, 40km west of Tripoli, is apparently being heavily attacked by Gaddafi, using mercenaries, artillery and anti-aircraft guns.

More on it from the BBC

quote:

Zawiya, referred to in the tweet below, is where heavy fighting was reported yesterday. A short while ago, Col Gaddafi's son Saif al-Islam said "terrorists" were in the town and that the army had held back in order to give negotiations a chance.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Aww crap, time to empty my Unicredit bank account, they were on the ropes last year, and AJE has just mentioned Lybia is one of their biggest shareholders:(

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

Zawia, 40km west of Tripoli, is apparently being heavily attacked by Gaddafi, using mercenaries, artillery and anti-aircraft guns.

More on it from the BBC

I actually feel a bit better about this knowing that a lot of the protestors (ie:rebels) are military and now well enough armed to fight back.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Brown Moses posted:

More on it from the BBC

loving douchebags

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
AJE just had a before/after of Gaddafi. He wasn't a bad looking guy when he was younger. Now he looks like a wax model that's been melting in the sun. I'm at work so I can't really GIS it. Anyone have any resources?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

From the Guardian

quote:

The Guardian's Patrick Wintour and Julian Borger have news of British moves:

quote:

British officials are contacting senior Libyan figures directly to persuade them to desert Muammar Gaddafi or face trial alongside him for crimes against humanity, the Guardian has learned.

With SAS troops and paratroopers on standby to rescue an estimated 150 Britons trapped at workplaces in the Libyan desert, contingency measures were being drawn up to close the British embassy in Tripoli to pre-empt possible reprisals.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A long and detailed article about Libya:

quote:

News World News World General The deep-seated anger that gave Libyan people courage
The deep-seated anger that gave Libyan people courage
26 Feb, 2011 03:00 AM
EMAN SALEH BENGUISH is beside herself with rage. An anaesthetist at the Freedom Hospital in Baida, a city of 250,000 people in eastern Libya, she pulls out a phone to explain why.

''This is Ruquia Fauzi al-Mabrook,'' Ms Benguish says, pressing play on a video file. ''She was eight years old.'' In the video, which Ms Benguish says she took when the child's body was brought to the hospital last Sunday, the girl's skull above the eyes has been removed by a bullet.

''This was an anti-aircraft gun that they used, not a normal soldier's gun,'' she says. According to Ms Benguish, the girl was standing on a fourth-floor balcony watching the street below. ''This is a crime, a big crime that happened here. And there are so many. I made this film because otherwise I am afraid the world would not believe me.''

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/n..._medium=twitter

This is well worth reading.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If any country tables a no fly zone to the security council, China would vote against it immediately. They don't want to set the precedent because they one day may be shooting their own protesters again.

As for compelling the UN to act, it doesn't matter. All you need is a group of countries with strong leadership acting in concert, i.e. France, UK, US, to push forward resolutions and create coalitions and voting blocs that will get poo poo passed. The security council will forever be cockblocked though.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Brown Moses posted:

From the Guardian

I guess it isn't an election year in the UK. That's awesome.

I really wish our government would do something to show they come down on the side of the people in this scenario.

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Jut posted:

Aww crap, time to empty my Unicredit bank account, they were on the ropes last year, and AJE has just mentioned Lybia is one of their biggest shareholders:(

It's Libya. Libya.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Brown Moses posted:

From the Guardian

oh heck yes :haw:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

So uh, what all happened in Tripoli? It's 1 a.m. there right now.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Loads of protesters got shot, some parts of the city are pretty hostile environments for mercenaries and pro-Gaddafi supporters at the moment.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Meanwhile in Sunny Bahrain. Per The Guardian

quote:

10.42pm GMT: Catching up on today's protests in Bahrain, where the king sacked three cabinet members, including the ministers of health and housing. But that wasn't enough to satisfy protesters.

Ibrahim Mattar, a member of parliament for the Shia opposition group Wefaq, said: "All these changes are minor ... we call for the resignation of the prime minister, the defence minister, all those faces responsible for the bloodshed."

Earlier, thousands of Bahrainis rallied in the centre of Manama, in one of the biggest anti-government protests since unrest first erupted there 10 days ago. A crowd marched on the Pearl roundabout, the scene of attacks by security forces last week.

Yes, clearly this was all the fault of ministers not directly involved in the crackdown.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

Jut posted:

Well what fascinates me about dictatorships is that they usually start out great and the people benefit. But they end in such lovely ways. I'm interested in how a dictator goes from sweeping reforms to benefit his subjects, to batshit insane mass murdering twat.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

CNN is interviewing Ali Suleiman Aujali, Libya's ambassador to the US who has joined the opposition like so many of his diplomatic colleagues. He thinks Gaddafi's regime is close to destruction:

quote:

I hope it is very, very soon ... dead or alive it doesn't matter, we want him out of our life in Libya.

Aujali also says he has no doubt that Gaddafi ordered the Lockerbie bombing, possibly for revenge against the US.

That's the third person saying Gaddafi order the Lockerbie bombing, one of the generals who defected said the same thing when he was interviewed by John Simpson on the BBC.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Put this in the "unconfirmed" pile, but this is pretty interesting, and so far this particular reporter has been pretty accurate:

quote:

@Raafatology
Raafat- نيويورك
Army is not allowing journalist and reporters! does this sound familiar???????? #Mubarak thugs are still in control #jan25

Edit:

Wow, there's a really detailed cable regarding the whole argument that Gaddahfi has with the Swiss, and how things were working regarding the now-defunct-succession in Libya:

quote:

Summary: A series of events since last summer suggest that tension between various children of Muammar al-Qadhafi has increased, XXXXXXXXXXXX. Much of the tension appears to stem from resentment of Saif al-Islam's high-profile as the public face of the regime; however, deeper tension about contradictions between Saif al-Islam's proposed political-economic reforms, XXXXXXXXXXXX and XXXXXXXXXXXX also play an important role. The arrest and intimidation of a number of Saif al-Islam allies since last summer, on the one hand, and moves to circumscribe Muatassim's role in military equipment procurement, on the other, suggest that the current level of discord among al-Qadhafi's children is acute. While internecine strife is nothing new for the famously fractious al-Qadhafi family, the recent escalation of tension comes during a particularly momentous period. Amid turmoil related to the 40th anniversary of the revolution, Muammar al-Qadhafi's recent election as African Union chairman, proposed political-economic reforms and persistent rumors about al-Qadhafi's health and the absence of a viable mechanism to orchestrate a succession, the sharp rivalry between the al-Qadhafi children could play an important, if not determinative role, in whether the family is able to hold on to power after the author of the revolution exits the political scene. End summary.

XXXXXXXXXXXX

¶3. (C) XXXXXXXXXXXX the arrest of Hannibal al-Qadhafi, a son of Muammar al-Qadhafi, in Geneva in mid-July (ref B subsequent) and a visit to Rome by Saadi al-Qadhafi, a son of Muammar al-Qadhafi, against his father's express wishes in early August. Hannibal and Saadi both have checkered histories of unseemly behavior and public scuffles with authorities in Europe and elsewhere. Although Muammar al-Qadhafi was reportedly fed a carefully vetted version of the events attendant to Hannibal's arrest to help minimize the perception that Hannibal was to blame, the elder al-Qadhafi was reportedly vexed that Libya, for reasons of protecting the first family's pride, had to engage in a bilateral spat with Switzerland at a time when it was trying to move ahead with negotiations for a framework agreement with the European Union. XXXXXXXXXXXX

... PROMPT AN AL-QADHAFI FAMILY MEETING

¶4. (C) The upshot of Muatassim's solicitation of funds, Hannibal's arrest and Saadi's jaunt was an al-Qadhafi family meeting in mid-August. Al-Qadhafi reportedly decided to reduce Sanussi's role as a minder for the most troublesome children (he is still a key adviser to Saif al-Islam al-Qadhafi) and to

TRIPOLI 00000208 002 OF 005

instead assign his daughter, Aisha al-Qadhafi, the task of monitoring the activities of ne'er-do-wells Saadi, Hannibal and Saif al-Arab. (Note: The latter is the least publicly know of al-Qadhafi's children; he lives in Munich, where he pursues ill-defined business interests and spends much time partying. At the meeting, Saadi reportedly criticized his father for having ignored him, and specifically cited the fact that his (Saadi's) efforts to establish an Export Free Trade Zone near the western Libyan town of Zuwara had not enjoyed the kind of support that Muatassim's activities as National Security Adviser or Saif al-Islam's high-profile efforts under the Qadhafi Development Foundation and Libya Youth Forum. As reported ref C, Muammar al-Qadhafi subsequently made an unusual visit to Zuwara last September and significant work on the development project began within a few days of his visit. Although the Zuwara Free Trade Zone is an ambitious and expensive project, XXXXXXXXXXXX

¶5. XXXXXXXXXXXX have told us that Aisha played a strong role in urging a hardline Libyan position with respect to the Swiss-Libyan contretemps over Hannibal's arrest. Separately, the Swiss Ambassador told us that Aisha's less than accurate rendering to her father of the events surrounding Hannibal's arrest and treatment by Swiss authorities helped stoke Muammar al-Qadhafi's anger, limiting the extent to which Libyan and Swiss officials could maneuver to find an acceptable compromise. The Swiss have told us that in the most recent effort between the two sides to resolve the issue in Davos, Saif had approved an agreement that had the Swiss literally bending over backwards to assuage Libyan demands. After making a phone call (to either Aisha or the leader), Saif returned somewhat chastened after several minutes to rescind the aproval. The Swiss crisis, together with other points of intra-family tension, has reportedly brought Aisha, who enjoys closer relations with Hannibal than with her other brothers, together with Hannibal, Saadi and, to a lesser extent, Saif al-Arab. Muatassim reportedly agreed with the hardline approach vis a vis the Swiss and has been closer to Aisha's end of the spectrum than to that of Saif al-Islam, who urged a more moderate approach. Muhammad al-Qadhafi (the eldest son, but by al-Qadhafis' first wife) and Khamis al-Qadhafi (fifth son by al-Qadhafi's second wife and the well-respected commander of a special forces unit that effectively serves as a regime protection unit) have remained neutral. XXXXXXXXXXXX expressed frustration XXXXXXXXXXXX that Saif al-Islam had persisted in his hard-partying, womanizing ways, a source of concern in a socially conservative country like Libya.

INCREASED TENSION BETWEEN SAIF AL-ISLAM AND MUATASSIM

¶6. (C) Against that backdrop of tension, competition between Saif al-Islam, whom most still regard as the heir-apparent, and Muatassim, whose viability as a potential alternative successor has risen since his appointment as National Security Adviser, has increased since last fall. XXXXXXXXXXXX Saif reportedly bridled at the fact that Muatassim accompanied Muammar al-Qadhafi on the latter's visit to Moscow, Minsk and Kiev last year (ref D), and played a key role in negotiating potential weapons contracts. Muatassim (who flew back early) and his older brother Muhammad greeted Muammar al-Qadhafi at the airport upon the latter's return to Tripoli; Saif, who was in town, was pointedly absent. XXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX It was further determined that Khamis al-Qadhafi would play a larger role in military procurement, since his Khamis Regiment (the 32nd Brigade) had demonstrated some success in procurement. Muatassim, whom the Serbian Ambassador described as "a bloody man" and "not terribly bright", XXXXXXXXXXXX

¶7. (C) Saif al-Islam's highly-publicized visit to the U.S. last November-December exacerbated tension with his siblings, particularly Muatassim, who viewed it as grandstanding. Saif al-Islam's high-profile role as the public face of the regime to the West has been a mixed blessing for him. While it has bolstered his image (he is probably the most publicly-recognized figure in Libya other than Muammar al-Qadhafi), many Libyans view him as self-aggrandizing and too eager to please foreigners at the expense of Libyans' interest. His role in the denouement of the Bulgarian nurses' case, in which he acknowledged in media interviews that the nurses had been tortured and the investigation into their alleged injection of the AIDS virus into Libyan children bungled, badly damaged his reputation. The fact that his recent visit to the U.S. came not long after his August 2008 Youth Forum address - in which he strongly criticized the existing Jamahiriya system of governance, XXXXXXXXXXXX said that most of his proposed reforms had already been achieved, and declared his intention to withdraw from political life to focus solely on civil society issues (ref E) - reportedly irritated his siblings. XXXXXXXXXXXX have suggested to us that Muatassim's desire to visit Washington this spring and his seemingly overweaning focus on having meetings with senior USG officials and signing a number of agreements are driven at least in part by a strong sense of competition with Saif al-Islam.

THE KNIVES COME OUT

¶8. (C) Recent events have fueled speculation that inter-sibling rivalries, and those of the more conservative regime elements they represent, have been increasing. XXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

TRIPOLI 00000208 004 OF 005

¶9. (C) XXXXXXXXXXXX

1 XXXXXXXXXXXX

¶11. (C) Comment: While internecine strife is nothing new for the famously fractious al-Qadhafi family, the recent escalation of tension between Saif al-Islam and Muatassim, Aisha, Hannibal and Saadi, comes during a particularly momentous period in the Jamahiriya's history. The 40th anniversary of the revolution on September 1, 2009, together with Muammar al-Qadhafi's recent election as Chairman of the AU (ref H), proposed political-economic reforms, consideration of a constitution, and rumored elections, have contributed to a sense that Libya is in the midst of a period of particular political turbulence. XXXXXXXXXXXX told XXXXXXXXXXXX that a draft constitution had been finished and submitted to the General People's Committee (cabinet-equivalent) for approval, and that it could be submitted to the General People's Congress for ratification sometime this year. The UN Resident Representative recently told the Ambassador that Saif al-Islam had established a super-committee under the auspices of the Economic and Development Board to draw up plans to implement wealth distribution and privatization/government restructuring advocated by Muammar al-Qadhafi last March (ref I). XXXXXXXXXXXX Saif al-Islam's recent announcement of a regional organization that would publicly identify specific individuals who perpetrate human rights abuses and target them for sanctions has been interpreted by some local observers as a manifestation of his frustration with the slow pace of reforms

TRIPOLI 00000208 005 OF 005

and as a threat to conservative regime elements, many of whom personally played a part in the most serious transgressions of the late 1970's and 1980's.

¶12. (C) Comment (continued): Persistent rumors about Muammar al-Qadhafi's declining health have lent particular urgency to questions about succession scenarios, throwing into stark relief the fact that, absent a constitution, there is no legal mechanism by which to orchestrate such an endeavor and seemingly increasing the stakes for the sibling rivalry. XXXXXXXXXXXX As Libya lurches forward with the effort to balance badly needed economic reform with the appearance of some political re-structuring - all against the backdrop of looming succession issues - the sharp rivalry between the al-Qadhafi children could play an important, if not determinative role, in whether the al-Qadhafi family is able to hold on to power after Muammar al-Qadhafi exits (one way or another) the political scene. End comment. CRETZ

I really wish I could read the X'ed-out Paragraph 9

Apology fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 26, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Video of mercenaries hiding the evidence of their murders:
http://www.libyafeb17.com/?p=2576

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Finlander posted:

wh-
Hold on, let me reread that.
what

This is from a while back, but Switzerland (I believe) briefly detained one of Ghaddafi's kids for wrecking his hotel room and assualting a maid. Then ensued a diplomatic shitstorm where Ghaddafi came pretty close to declaring war on the Swiss. Those diabolical swiss.

And here's an article talking about why Libya is going so differently than Tunisia and Egypt.

quote:

Libya is not Egypt or Tunisia. Muammar Qaddafi has no centralized government, has no institutions, and has few rivals inside his own government or military. This is why were are seeing a very different pattern in Libya. The protesters are physically taking control of the country, not just a single square, and they are sometimes doing so by force. Each man employed by the Libyan state is being forced to pick sides. Many are joining the protests, but there is no other way for this to play out than violent revolution. There is no government, to speak of, to hold a gun to the back of the dictator's head.

EDIT: Now with link! http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2011/2/24/from-tunisiaegypt-to-libyairan-notes-of-caution-on-sudden-ch-1.html

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Apparently things are getting rowdy again in Tahrir Square.

• Locked thread