Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Orgasmo posted:

haha no you guys came cheap and that was it.
Foot in the door. The question is whether they can now retain all those users who joined solely because it was cheap. Now playing games like that with financially savvy people is dangerous as they might all jump ship to the next cheapest offering even though they suffer a bit of convenience bite.

I know that I switched from INGdirect to Ally over less than a percentage point so they'd better hope they signed up enough non cheap asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

i am not zach posted:

I think whatever that $220 target was in reference to the pre-split price, at least I hope it was.

Even if it wasn't it was around 180 for the split and they were predicting 220...$40 up, so even at the split if it goes to 100, still getting the gain but at a lower price point that I can get into as a small investor.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Oxphocker posted:

Even if it wasn't it was around 180 for the split and they were predicting 220...$40 up, so even at the split if it goes to 100, still getting the gain but at a lower price point that I can get into as a small investor.

I dont understand your math there. Looking for a price of 220 before a 3:1 split would be 220/3 for a price of somewhere around 73 right? The pricing targets seem to match that. Not that you arent looking ok, you just need to fix the numbers a bit I think.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

owDAWG posted:

There has been a lot of excitement around offshore drilling this week, especially in the GoM. Rising oil prices, worries about the Middle East, the Louisiana courts, and a Republican House are putting a lot of pressure on BOEMRE to start issuing deep-water permits soon. Even BOEMRE itself issued a statement saying we should start seeing these permits in the next few weeks.

Yeah, it's crazy, HERO is about to become my biggest non-ETF holding :psyduck:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Fuschia tude posted:

Yeah, it's crazy, HERO is about to become my biggest non-ETF holding :psyduck:

Oh wow I didnt even look at that. MO and BIP were my largest positions until today.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

lightpole posted:

I dont understand your math there. Looking for a price of 220 before a 3:1 split would be 220/3 for a price of somewhere around 73 right? The pricing targets seem to match that. Not that you arent looking ok, you just need to fix the numbers a bit I think.

Fair enough...there was an assumption in there I didn't clarify. Yes I'm aware figuring in the price split would mean a low target as well...but the assumption I didn't state clearly is that I believe when those researchers re-target, there will still be considerable growth there taking it above the 73 price target factoring in the split. I think it has legs enough for 40 or more (then again, I'm also looking at long term, not short term).

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Oxphocker posted:

Fair enough...there was an assumption in there I didn't clarify. Yes I'm aware figuring in the price split would mean a low target as well...but the assumption I didn't state clearly is that I believe when those researchers re-target, there will still be considerable growth there taking it above the 73 price target factoring in the split. I think it has legs enough for 40 or more (then again, I'm also looking at long term, not short term).

In the short term I can see it dip another 5% if any good(bad) news on crops comes in.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
So is there any way a casual investor can put some money toward the idea that oil prices will shoot up over the next year? Thoughts/advice?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

cowofwar posted:

Foot in the door. The question is whether they can now retain all those users who joined solely because it was cheap. Now playing games like that with financially savvy people is dangerous as they might all jump ship to the next cheapest offering even though they suffer a bit of convenience bite.

I know that I switched from INGdirect to Ally over less than a percentage point so they'd better hope they signed up enough non cheap asses.

Is it reasonable to expect or ask that a trading company offer differentiated services for customers? They could have offered ultra-low transaction costs for self-service traders and a full, premium platform for those willing to pay for value-added services.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

VH4Ever posted:

So is there any way a casual investor can put some money toward the idea that oil prices will shoot up over the next year? Thoughts/advice?
For a casual investor, you could speculate on stocks of companies involved in offshore drilling hurt by the US drilling ban. If oil prices shoot up there will be pressure to allow business as usual. Larger oil companies will benefit from the spike, though most of them are already priced up. For example, Exxon is almost back up over $90.

BP has almost gotten back to $50 after recovering from a 52-week low of %26.75, though with BP's management history I would find an alternative company, since they will probably screw up something again.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

Look into MDR, they release earnings this Tuesday. Off shore jack of all traders company.

Note: I do not own them.

owDAWG
May 18, 2008

VH4Ever posted:

Look into the following stocks, quoting from a Goldman Sachs analyst. These are GoM type stocks.

"We expect the stocks levered to a recovery to anticipate a resumption of drilling activity once the initial permits are issued and we recommend buying a group of stocks that have the most leverage," the analyst added.

Boyd named Hornbeck, Diamond Offshore , Plains Exploration , Noble Corp , Transocean , Cobalt International Energy , Hess Corp , Apache Corp , ATP Oil & Gas as the likely beneficiaries.

I would look into companies that are big into deep-water offshore drilling or companies capitalizing on the oil sands of Canada as these areas have the best growth prospects coupled with high CapX costs in a geopolitically stable environment.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I've tightened up my stops on NOV a little - y'all see it breaking resistance at 80 any time soon? I thought the Libyan thing would have pushed it over but it's stagnant.

Also went long MCD and KO in my retirement fund. Looks solid enough, p/e not hideous, dividends good, and both look to be near the bottom of a retracement.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005

I sort of feel terrible that I made money off people dying in the Middle East. Like, forget goon sarcasm... it sort of sucks that I'm in the green because people in Libya are getting bombed by jets.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Orgasmo posted:

Ahhhh Zecco gently caress you in the ocular cavity

It's not like $8.99 a trade or anything but still.

haha no you guys came cheap and that was it.

Does Zecco allow DRIP? Tradeking does, but only if the stock has a 50K/day average trade volume.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Mr.Brinks posted:

I sort of feel terrible that I made money off people dying in the Middle East. Like, forget goon sarcasm... it sort of sucks that I'm in the green because people in Libya are getting bombed by jets.

You mean being shot in the face and facerolled by tanks?

This is why I'm holding apple, at least I know how and why people are dieing.

edit: am I the only one who feels weird when Kayla Tauchen comes on CNBC? like her face looks skewed.

Dr. Jackal fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 28, 2011

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Mr.Brinks posted:

As Americans we've made so much money off killing/exploiting poor people it's pretty much your destiny. If it makes you feel any better, the money you've made is a drop in the largest bucket in the world.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Or if it makes you feel better, just a few years ago some guys made tons of money on a bubble that is so massive and convoluted, that it will take years to sort out exactly what is what, except for the massive unemployment it caused; and then you probably made money on the subsequent bubble caused by Ben Bernanke that will more than likely make things incredibly worse in 5 years or less.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Jackal posted:

edit: am I the only one who feels weird when Kayla Tauchen comes on CNBC? like her face looks skewed.
Who are you talking about?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Who are you talking about?

http://www.linkedin.com/in/kaylatausche

Tausche, not Tauschen...

She comes on to comment on Fed reports recently and her eyes makes a slow uptrend line.

2 Week options on aapl paid off so well last week :)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Jackal posted:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/kaylatausche

Tausche, not Tauschen...

She comes on to comment on Fed reports recently and her eyes makes a slow uptrend line.

2 Week options on aapl paid off so well last week :)
Oh, she's the new Courtney Reagan.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
What a great time to not have much money for bearish bets. :(

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.
I have an extremely stupid question which I can't easily an answer for. A 'tick' is the minimum amount something can move. What's the proper name for the amount something moves during a discrete period of time? It's a time series, yes, but is there a name for e.g. what a single candle describes?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Plastic Jesus posted:

I have an extremely stupid question which I can't easily an answer for. A 'tick' is the minimum amount something can move. What's the proper name for the amount something moves during a discrete period of time? It's a time series, yes, but is there a name for e.g. what a single candle describes?

interval?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

greasyhands posted:

interval?

Yah, but that only covers the time period. I'm wondering if there's a term that describes the price action and volume during a given period of time.

I have to assume that someone here as set up a database of stock movements, what did you name your table containing open/close/high/low/volume/open_time/close_time?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Plastic Jesus posted:

Yah, but that only covers the time period. I'm wondering if there's a term that describes the price action and volume during a given period of time.

I have to assume that someone here as set up a database of stock movements, what did you name your table containing open/close/high/low/volume/open_time/close_time?
I don't think there's a canonical term, but the usual is price action/movement, or if you want to be old school, tape. As for your table, it would probably be named stock data.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Plastic Jesus posted:

When I look at charts I use 5 prices around the day (pre,open,midday,close,after) and I add in the high/low/mid if they are significantly different...

I usually don't look at the volume unless it is significantly different.

but then... all I am doing is watching 1st,2nd moments of the prices.

call the table "price data"? mine is... "lulfundstrat"

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Hello, I've got some newbie questions here.

How did all of you basically get into stock picking? How much of a percentage of stock picks do you do in the context of your overall portfolio?

I've just gotten started on the whole general investment thing with the basics: loading up a retirement account with a 40/60 mixture of a bond index and a few generic country-wide indexes. Many places say that it's all the average person will ever need; but I do have the time and the interest in learning more active investing/trading if it might get me better growth.

I'm just not sure how people start doing this. Do you keep a portfolio of mostly indexes, and allot something like 5-10% for speculation? Should you wait until you have X amount of money first? Is this something that, if you are doing good, you might make into a major chunk of your portfolio; or will it always be a relatively small part that you allot for basically gambling?

I figure there'll be more than one type of answer for this, I'm just looking for the... not-blatantly-retarded ones.

Lastly, I'm planning to get started on the books in the OP; how relevant are they for a Canadian? Are there any serious discrepancies in the markets/laws that I should be aware of? Any books perhaps more appropriate for this country?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I keep about 60% in mutual stock funds, 10% in mutual bond funds. Fidelity Contrafund is my single largest holding I think. I pick stocks myself for about 30%, mostly blue chip long-hold type stuff, but I shuffle things a bit if I think I see something coming, and I have stops set for that so I don't get bent over the loving barrel like I did in 2008; where everything was in mutual funds and dropped 50% over the course of a few months.

So that kind of answers your second question as well. I got assraped in 2008 and started taking an interest in protecting my poo poo.

e: NOV appears to be bouncing off 20MA if anyone looking to add to a position.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 2, 2011

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

MrBigglesworth posted:

Does Zecco allow DRIP? Tradeking does, but only if the stock has a 50K/day average trade volume.

Not sure, to be honest. I sent a note to their customer care to be sure, but a short search of the site only turned up forum discussions on DRIPs.

I'll definitely look into Tradeking, thanks.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005

Holy poo poo OIL.

Really awesome article - http://seekingalpha.com/article/255980-history-lesson-oil-price-spikes-and-their-aftermath?source=yahoo

Details how the price of oil adjusts following significant spikes.

Mr.Brinks fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 2, 2011

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

pr0k posted:

I keep about 60% in mutual stock funds, 10% in mutual bond funds. Fidelity Contrafund is my single largest holding I think. I pick stocks myself for about 30%, mostly blue chip long-hold type stuff, but I shuffle things a bit if I think I see something coming, and I have stops set for that so I don't get bent over the loving barrel like I did in 2008; where everything was in mutual funds and dropped 50% over the course of a few months.

So that kind of answers your second question as well. I got assraped in 2008 and started taking an interest in protecting my poo poo.

e: NOV appears to be bouncing off 20MA if anyone looking to add to a position.

Speaking of the Contrafund, is that one you bought directly or are you using that in your company 401k?

I ask because where I work we use Fidelity and Contra and Magellan are both used, they are phasing down our participation in Magellan and will move 100% of funds sometime this march over to Contra. Is anything similar happening to you?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I keep my IRA at fidelity. My 401k is elsewhere. Funds get broken down and rolled into other funds fairly often it seems. Happened a lot when I had a Waddell & Reed 401k. Not so much with my fidelity funds.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Speaking of which, Fidelity Magellan has been sucking for quite some time now huh. Its like a loving anchor on my IRA. I guess I should sell it, this manager in charge has been there for awhile, and it doesn't look like bad luck, he apparently just flat out sucks.

Any suggestions for replacement? Just put all the money into SPY is what I'm thinking.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Contrafund doesn't suck, but did take it in the rear end on the crash, same as everything else.

Also, hope anyone looking to add to a NOV position did so this morning.

NOV 79.43 +2.40 +3.12%

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

pr0k posted:

Contrafund doesn't suck, but did take it in the rear end on the crash, same as everything else.

Also, hope anyone looking to add to a NOV position did so this morning.

NOV 79.43 +2.40 +3.12%

RIG 85.47 +2.96 (3.59%) After Hours: 85.30 -0.17 (-0.20%)
MDR 24.49 +2.10 (9.38%) After Hours: 24.80 +0.31 (1.27%)

so did many of the oilers.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Mr.Brinks posted:

Look into MDR, they release earnings this Tuesday. Off shore jack of all traders company.

Note: I do not own them.
Holy crap! Good call, as MDR was up 9% today. I was going to buy MDR two days ago and got distracted right before the close :suicide:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Goddamn posted:

I'm just not sure how people start doing this. Do you keep a portfolio of mostly indexes, and allot something like 5-10% for speculation? Should you wait until you have X amount of money first? Is this something that, if you are doing good, you might make into a major chunk of your portfolio; or will it always be a relatively small part that you allot for basically gambling?

I figure there'll be more than one type of answer for this, I'm just looking for the... not-blatantly-retarded ones.

Historically, if you have more than 12-15 in your portfolio, you will get the same return as the market. Of course, if you are investing in index funds, they will do largely the same (at least over here they do)

The way I handle accounts here is that I dont touch anything too speculative till the account is in profit, and after that, I have strict limits on how much I can put into the spec stocks, which I sort out with the clients first. Of course, our definitions of speculative will differ, but its anything under 10c for me. Generally trade in lots of $10k, or thereabouts, rounded off by volume.

It all depends on how much risk you are willing to accept. The most expensive stock in my super fund right now is worth $0.36c, and its up 58% this year. There will also never ever be an index fund in there. I have clients who think that a $7.50 stock in a company worth a billion is too speculative.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Sold 59 IRM @ 25.56 this morning. Not sure where to put my money looking more long term. Maybe more JNJ or more BND. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Do you have a specific goal or target for the long term play? Are you weak or not-invested in any sectors? Are you interested in income stocks or prefer a company that reinvests its dividends?

I read an article on Seeking Alpha recently that had some compelling arguments on MSFT, IBM, TXN, INTC, and ADP becoming new darlings of the income crowd.