Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Yannick_B posted:

Yeah, all being creative people, I was expecting them to get more into the nuts and bolts of why is something terrible.

Exactly. I know they're busy people and all (well, Paul is anyway), but it seems like two weeks is enough time to come up with more substantial material than "did you see that poo poo ain't that crazy" type stuff. Also, their conceit that they're not making GBS threads on someone's work for the sake of making GBS threads on it is stupid since they then spend an hour making GBS threads on something for the sake of making GBS threads on it.

I dunno, I don't want to bag on them or anything since I'm a fan of just about everyone who's been involved, but it doesn't seem like they do any kind of prep outside of agreeing to see the same movie, watching it, and gathering some emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Just the fact that they're watching the movie means they're doing an average of 89 more minutes of prep than is done for CDRR each week.

Battering Ham
Nov 22, 2007
OH SHIT! Get down you FUCKS! *KA-FUCKING-BOOM*

Haters for Hire (yes that's a rocket power chainsaw as my logo)
Website

iTunes

Haters for Hire is a weekly podcast produced and hosted by myself. Each week features a new guest and co-host. A majority of the time the guests are comics from the Pittsburgh area though many hail from all over country. This is a good podcast to listen to if you like drugs, fat people or swearing.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

King Lou posted:

Also, Reggie Watts is fun to listen to. I haven't seen him do stand up. Just listen to him on CDR, in which I find him to be a quick witted pun master. Thats probably why Aukerman likes him so much. His songs aren't always awesome but they are mostly off the cuff and he's pretty loving good at working that looping machine.

Though I disagree with your view on Jimmy Pardo, this is exactly the reason I love Reggie Watts. One of my favorite bits was when he did the opening and closing themes for Harris' Phone Corner. Drastically different from each other. The end theme sounded like it was from outer space or something.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
The enthusiasm is enough to keep me listening to How Did This Get Made - they seem like they're having fun. (All though The Last Airbender seemed to be tough on them.) And they're only a few episodes in. If in six months they haven't gotten a little more sophisticated, I may reconsider. But for now, I like it.

COMPUTER SECRETS
Oct 6, 2003

Pig Sooie

NecronSchmecron posted:

Though I disagree with your view on Jimmy Pardo, this is exactly the reason I love Reggie Watts. One of my favorite bits was when he did the opening and closing themes for Harris' Phone Corner. Drastically different from each other. The end theme sounded like it was from outer space or something.

I would kill for a 10 minute version of the opening theme for Phone/Foam Corner

SeventhSeven
Jun 28, 2009

King Lou posted:

I fully admit that I do not get Jimmy Pardo's popularity. Everything that guys says is really forced sounding to me. He is trying way too hard all the time and almost never even gets a smirk out of me. I was just listening to him on DLM and literally everything he says makes me groan. But I fully get that its just not for me. I'm just gripin'!

Listening to him (faux or not, I don't care) chew out Mike in Season 1 for not being "Family Oriented" with his humor really hardened my heart to Jimmy. I can find the specific episode but Mike was just being his classic perverted self and Jimmy was putting the kibash on it... for commercial reasons?

I guess I see why Mike split off after season 1.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Battering Ham posted:

Haters for Hire (yes that's a rocket power chainsaw as my logo)
Website

iTunes

Haters for Hire is a weekly podcast produced and hosted by myself. Each week features a new guest and co-host. A majority of the time the guests are comics from the Pittsburgh area though many hail from all over country. This is a good podcast to listen to if you like drugs, fat people or swearing.

Checking out one of your latest shows now.

Join us other goons that podcast in the Who Else Podcasts thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375988

We've also started a Gooncasts wiki page to put all the Goon podcasts in one place and do some cross-promotion stuff with each other, add your show in there (all other goons are welcome too). You have to sign in and get approved (I'm the site admin), which isn't ideal but I check the sign-ups every couple of days to see if anyone is waiting to make their page. This is just to prevent any griefing or someone screwing with the site.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

King Lou posted:

Yeah, thats not really a great reply, pal. Care to get meta on me about what his act is about? Besides being a jabber jaw. Is that it? That he's an annoying jabber jaw? Eh, to each his own. I just don't like it. I did hear he had an episode of NNF that was free recently so I'll check that out. See if that sways me. :colbert:

He's very quick and fast on his feet, busts balls with the best of them and is also very self-deprecating. He makes great jokes and then he makes terrible jokes and shits all over himself for making them, and also shits all over anyone else for making them. He's just a funny dude.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

infopimp posted:

Listening to him (faux or not, I don't care) chew out Mike in Season 1 for not being "Family Oriented" with his humor really hardened my heart to Jimmy. I can find the specific episode but Mike was just being his classic perverted self and Jimmy was putting the kibash on it... for commercial reasons?

That was obviously a joke because Pardo calls people faggots and wishes death on them every episode.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

bananasinpajamas posted:

He's very quick and fast on his feet, busts balls with the best of them and is also very self-deprecating. He makes great jokes and then he makes terrible jokes and shits all over himself for making them, and also shits all over anyone else for making them. He's just a funny dude.

Eh. See, I listened to his podcast and its too much like a morning zoo for me. Its even got the hyena characters who cackle at all his poo poo regardless of merit. I guess I prefer clever dialog and not a wall of jabbering with occasional worthwhile insights/jokes. I can't fathom why people pay for this, though. I accept my position in the minority on this position. Please forgive me.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

infopimp posted:

The fact that it was an obvious joke doesn't factor at all into your opinion? :confused:

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I didn't even listen to it and I can tell that was a joke.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I love that James Adomian's Paul Giamatti always refers to himself in the third person.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

King Lou posted:

Eh. See, I listened to his podcast and its too much like a morning zoo for me. Its even got the hyena characters who cackle at all his poo poo regardless of merit. I guess I prefer clever dialog and not a wall of jabbering with occasional worthwhile insights/jokes. I can't fathom why people pay for this, though. I accept my position in the minority on this position. Please forgive me.

We don't all have to like the same thing.
I like Jimmy because I will always find rapid 1920s-esq dialogue hilarious no matter what the source is. Also he once asked Reggie Watts if he kept tools in his hair.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
When I saw Reggie Watts open for Conan I had never heard of him before and I was sitting really far back in the theater. They announced his name and I thought they said "Reggie Wong" so for a really long time I thought he was a dark-skinned Chinese guy with the best Chinese afro ever

sambafish
Sep 24, 2008

If you havin' hull problems I feel bad for you son/
I got 99 problems, but a breach ain't one/

King Lou posted:

Eh. See, I listened to his podcast and its too much like a morning zoo for me.

I love Jimmy Pardo and I am a huge fan of NNF (Primo!), but I think this is a legitimate point. Eliot and Dan crowing at everything Jimmy or Matt says actually does give the show a morning zoo vibe.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Oh my god, the Paul Giamatti Repeater Explosion

Never in my life would I have expected to hear something like that.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Strange Matter posted:

Oh my god, the Paul Giamatti Repeater Explosion

Never in my life would I have expected to hear something like that.

It was like the Whole Lotta Love breakdown but 100x more insane, and with Paul Giamatti

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

sambafish posted:

I love Jimmy Pardo and I am a huge fan of NNF (Primo!), but I think this is a legitimate point. Eliot and Dan crowing at everything Jimmy or Matt says actually does give the show a morning zoo vibe.

I'm not a fan of Pardo but yea, if he didn't have two hyenas shrieking in his background every other sentence I could at least listen to it when I hear it's a good episode.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Pardo pretty much carried this week's episode with Will Forte. He had to. Forte was just oblivious to everything happening apparently.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?

shotgunbadger posted:

I'm not a fan of Pardo but yea, if he didn't have two hyenas shrieking in his background every other sentence I could at least listen to it when I hear it's a good episode.

Yea you do realize that T.E. and Elliot speak for about 90 seconds total each episode, right?

bananasinpajamas posted:

Pardo pretty much carried this week's episode with Will Forte. He had to. Forte was just oblivious to everything happening apparently.

Forte definitely seemed out of it. The second half was much funnier but it really just didn't feel like he was in the mood to be there.

SeventhSeven
Jun 28, 2009

bananasinpajamas posted:

The fact that it was an obvious joke doesn't factor at all into your opinion? :confused:

Joke or not, it stopped Mike's perverted idea from blooming at that moment... I'm sure it was all good natured... but... the chemistry wasn't perfect there, was it?

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Penis envy posted:

Reggie Watts, while not hilariously laugh out loud constantly funny, is very quick witted

I dunno, he seemed pretty slow to catch on to Scott's fake game. Speaking of which, is Harris Wittels the one who doesn't understand the popularity of Plugs? That cracks me up.

Penis envy
Jan 22, 2010

You can trust me, I'm a doctor.

dancehall posted:

I dunno, he seemed pretty slow to catch on to Scott's fake game. Speaking of which, is Harris Wittels the one who doesn't understand the popularity of Plugs? That cracks me up.

Did he ever even catch on? About half way through I wasn't sure if he had figured it out and was playing along or if he still thought everything was true. Harris is pretty reliable for believing everything also, I think he's asked about plugs three times now.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

dancehall posted:

I'm fairly certain that Wittels is merely calling out the artifice of the plugs bit, which is in keeping with his CDR persona.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Man this week's Who Charted? with Zach Galifinakis is fantastic. Anyone on the fence about the show should try and listen to this one first.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Bro Dad posted:

Man this week's Who Charted? with Zach Galifinakis is fantastic. Anyone on the fence about the show should try and listen to this one first.

Absolutely. Haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Zacharius Knight Galifianakis was also pretty drat good on a recent Nerdist.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

dancehall posted:

It seemed like Reggie was playing along with the bit, and loving around as much as scott was.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Really good choice of the shitheads on the latest DLM.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

jyrka posted:

Forgot the first one... There's no WAY I would forget the second one though. :golfclap:

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Over in the Red State thread, I pointed out that I really would have no interest in going to a Kevin Smith Q&A, since he's podcasting for hours every week and constantly tweeting and otherwise transmitting his thoughts. What on earth could I possibly ask the guy? I also wondered if maybe it would be a good idea to dial back the online presence to build demand for the Red State tour.

Smith has decided to go in the opposite direction, adding FOUR MORE HOURS EVERY DAY of his rants. There's parts of this S.I.R. plan that sound interesting, but dear God...

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Does he even do anything anymore? I know he bought his own movie and poo poo but like, is podcasting now his job, and cashing in royalties and all?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

shotgunbadger posted:

Does he even do anything anymore? I know he bought his own movie and poo poo but like, is podcasting now his job, and cashing in royalties and all?

Apparently he's making decent money off all the appearances, and has announced his plans to retire from making movies. But again: 26 hours of Kevin Smith ranting per week? Anyone that wants to listen to it all is basically taking on a part-time job.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

benito posted:

Over in the Red State thread, I pointed out that I really would have no interest in going to a Kevin Smith Q&A, since he's podcasting for hours every week and constantly tweeting and otherwise transmitting his thoughts. What on earth could I possibly ask the guy? I also wondered if maybe it would be a good idea to dial back the online presence to build demand for the Red State tour.

Smith has decided to go in the opposite direction, adding FOUR MORE HOURS EVERY DAY of his rants. There's parts of this S.I.R. plan that sound interesting, but dear God...

That's loving insane. Holy poo poo, Kevin Smith loves hearing himself talk.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
I'd just like to thank this thread for expanding my pod related horizons. I was doing all the Smod for the longest time and looking for other stuff (because believe it or not even a fangirl can have only so much Smith), WTF, The Nerdist and Doug loves movies are the best poo poo ever. I've actually got more podcasts than music on my pod these days and i'm in heaven. Makes life at work so much more bearable. Though some of my customers think i'm insane now because they can hear me giggling in my baking room from the counter. Thanks again guys, for making life a little funnier.

Nadine Hauklund
May 17, 2002

A boy's best friend is his mother.
Walking With Michelle got a great write-up from podcast review site MaximumFun. If you are curious about Michelle Biloon and her podcast, go here, read about it, and then download the latest episode.

"So she and Jimmy Pardo drive around with a Map of the Stars’ Homes [MP3], she and Samm Levine go to the Getty Villa [MP3], she and Dave Holmes go to Universal Studios [MP3], and so on. All the while, they talk about life, they talk about careers, they talk about the crappiness of the Simpsons ride, and they talk about their compulsive peoplewatching — i.e., whether they should play a round of “retarded or ugly.” The ever-shifting geographical territories give rise to ever-shifting conversational territories, from Biloon and a reflective Tom Scharpling having an insightful lunch discussion about coming up in the comedy game to Biloon and Doug Benson, stoned (if you can believe it), gawping at a cluster of skimpily dressed seven-year-olds singing “Bad Girls” for Scientology."

http://www.maximumfun.org/2011/02/13/podthoughts-colin-marshall-walking-michelle

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

jyrka posted:

It was an allround excellent episode of Doug Loves Movies this week. If you are not a regular listener, I can recommend downloading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

benito posted:

Apparently he's making decent money off all the appearances, and has announced his plans to retire from making movies. But again: 26 hours of Kevin Smith ranting per week? Anyone that wants to listen to it all is basically taking on a part-time job.

That's a typical radio show week, maybe somewhat longer.

Something tells me though that Kevin Smith fans will enjoy that.

• Locked thread