Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
So uh, silly question. How durable are the buildings those hostages are in? What's to stop the Death Commandos from just unloading on them in their mechs and SRM carriers in spite? They are literally sitting right next to those buildings.

Edit: Hey, new page! Fantastic. Another silly question. Since the Goblin is effectively immobilized, wouldn't it be better to ignore it this turn and focus fire on the other tank etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Krumbsthumbs posted:

So uh, silly question. How durable are the buildings those hostages are in? What's to stop the Death Commandos from just unloading on them in their mechs and SRM carriers in spite? They are literally sitting right next to those buildings.

Oh, they can. The buildings aren't THAT durable. I fully expect that's what they're going to do shortly. Fortunately, they don't have enough firepower left right now to destroy a building in one turn, I believe. They can do it, but not fast enough for us to have no chance of stopping them.

Edit: Just checked back in the thread. Building at 0804 is heavy, 0706 and 1005 are medium. So even the weakest building needs to sustain ~40 damage before collapsing, and the heaviest needs ~90. Absolute worst case scenario, the Commando mechs can inflict 63 damage a turn - enough to destroy a building, so I stand corrected there. But it would mean completely focusing on the buildings instead of dealing with the attacking mechs, so I think it's somewhat unlikely.

quote:

Edit: Hey, new page! Fantastic. Another silly question. Since the Goblin is effectively immobilized, wouldn't it be better to ignore it this turn and focus fire on the other tank etc?

Yes and no. The Goblin isn't any sort of threat, but remember the objectives - destroy all Death Commando units. Infantry will surrender if all mechs and vehicles are destroyed. The Goblin counts for that. If we head north to engage the other targets, we'll be leaving the Goblin behind. To complete our objectives, we'll have to turn back around and march a turn or two to destroy the Goblin afterwards - meaning one or two more dead hostages. Taking it now is more about time efficiency than taking out a dangerous target.

Tempest_56 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 27, 2011

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Drat. I was hoping those buildings were made of "unobtanium" or something and couldn't burn.

While it might take forever, sign me up to be a pilot as well.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh No! Say it ain't so Engine Joe! :negative:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

David Corbett posted:

Well, ain't that a kick in the head? :haw:

So I guess that makes this the song for next round?

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

If the way was clear, could one or more of the protagonist infantry units make their way to the infantry-occupied hostage hex and engage/kill/capture that infantry unit directly without killing the hostages? If so, ignoring the Goblin may be the smarter move and save more hostages in the long run.

Along the same lines, is there any way (flavor-wise or not, I'm not really familiar with how the Death Commandos operate canonically) to draw that unit out other than having them surrender due to all their Tanks and 'Mechs being cinder?

Just thinking there has to be a reason for the "Hostages may only be killed if a unit of Capellan infantry occupies a 'Hostage' hex" rule.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Tempest_56 posted:

Oh, they can. The buildings aren't THAT durable. I fully expect that's what they're going to do shortly. Fortunately, they don't have enough firepower left right now to destroy a building in one turn, I believe. They can do it, but not fast enough for us to have no chance of stopping them.

Actually they can, at least under the BMR rules. A missile pack fired at a building in an adjacent hex automatically hits, and automatically hits with all missiles.

Thus an SRM carrier can dish out 120 points of damage without even rolling -- enough to take out a default Hardened building in a single round.

(This saved my bacon in one of the scenarios in the Tukayyid pack where, as the Com Guards, I got overconfident that I could drive the Ghost Bears away from my supply depot and needed to destroy it in a hurry when the battle went sour. Fortunately my surviving SRM carrier made short work of it.)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Magni posted:

RIP, Anonymous Young Warhammer-piloting Patriot. :smith:

Those Mexicans need to die.

Much better. :china:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Next target for the feet of Justice: Slaan.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This is the worry-time since every lost turn spent mopping up the enemy is another hostage probably killed. Might it be time to risk using the Mock and Berate skill to try and save one or two more hostages, but at the risk of a significant personage's life? At any rate, being strictly efficient about setting up kills for next turn while ensuring kills this turn is tense.

I assume with the SRM carrier on this side of the cliff now as well it'll become a priority target for every long range weapon left in the Caballero's arsenal as soon as those southern tanks are dead, right?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Dolash posted:

This is the worry-time since every lost turn spent mopping up the enemy is another hostage probably killed. Might it be time to risk using the Mock and Berate skill to try and save one or two more hostages, but at the risk of a significant personage's life? At any rate, being strictly efficient about setting up kills for next turn while ensuring kills this turn is tense.

I assume with the SRM carrier on this side of the cliff now as well it'll become a priority target for every long range weapon left in the Caballero's arsenal as soon as those southern tanks are dead, right?

Agreed.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Engine Joe is off to the big siesta in the sky. :mexico:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Someone else can finish off the Goblin, I'm going to take up a forward position. And if I may say so, I apparently have the most awesome infantry on the board.

Music of the Round, in Engine Joe's honor: Knights of Cydonia (also featuring what may be the most masculine music video ever)

Poptarts, if I might ask, how come D1 didn't get a penalty for splitting his shots?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Someone else can finish off the Goblin, I'm going to take up a forward position.

I just double-checked the Goblin's status - it's down to 2 internal on the left side, which I'll be shooting at this next turn. Considering it's immobilized I've got like a 99% chance of a kill. So yeah - everybody else can bugger off after more important targets, I've got this one handled.

Unless the single machine gun TAC crits my ammo and I whiff everything on (I believe) 3s.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

I just double-checked the Goblin's status - it's down to 2 internal on the left side, which I'll be shooting at this next turn. Considering it's immobilized I've got like a 99% chance of a kill. So yeah - everybody else can bugger off after more important targets, I've got this one handled.

Unless the single machine gun TAC crits my ammo and I whiff everything on (I believe) 3s.

Can't you guys just step on it as you move and crush it? Or at least walk up to it and kick it upside-down?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Follow my lead! USE YOUR FEET OF DOOM!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Gothsheep posted:

Can't you guys just step on it as you move and crush it? Or at least walk up to it and kick it upside-down?

No - only the left side is weak enough to guarantee a kill. Every other side requires at least 15 damage to kill; the left side only needs 2. Since it's immobilized and the left side is facing south, you have to be standing south of it to have a solid chance of getting that kill.

Also, physical attacks come last in the turn order, after you move. I (or Skinwalker) couldn't advance and retroactively kick the Goblin afterwards.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Kenlon posted:

. . .

I like your timeline. Go go CCAF! I do kinda have to take exception with your characterization of Capellan conventional forces as low morale, though - our militia is terrible, but line units aren't used for human wave attacks. . .

When I speak of 'low morale', I mean planetary defense forces which generally consist of criminals of all types who're given .22 rifles and told to go stand in front of the enemy tank battalions.

Brandy Collins posted:

If the way was clear, could one or more of the protagonist infantry units make their way to the infantry-occupied hostage hex and engage/kill/capture that infantry unit directly without killing the hostages?

Yes.

Brandy Collins posted:

Just thinking there has to be a reason for the "Hostages may only be killed if a unit of Capellan infantry occupies a 'Hostage' hex" rule.

5 hostages per medium building, 10 in the heavy building. They can theoretically exhaust a building's worth of hostages and have to spend a turn or two moving into the next building.

Alternatively, the sapper could've lured the infantry out in the open then re-hid in the woods; although that would've been pretty risky.

Poptarts, if I might ask, how come D1 didn't get a penalty for splitting his shots?

'cause both of his shots were at Firewalker. That was an editing mistake.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Alas, poor Engine Joe. Still, I guess having Sir gently caress You kick the Warhammer's head off was worth it... Maybe. Probably. Most likely...

I dunno, I want to root for the Space Chinese, but after this round, I don't know if I can...

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Brandy Collins posted:

A Warhammer knocked out of a fight by a kick to the head is a beautiful thing. I guess that's how Camacho's Caballeros get the job done! :ese:

This thread has made me wish that I knew anyone remotely close by who owned some BattleTech books. MegaMek solo play is just not sating my thirst for giant weapons platform vs giant weapons platform combat, though that might have something to do with the fact that the RNG seems heavily biased toward bots and against humans.

I don't suppose there's room for another MechWarrior for the thread? I don't have PM, so email = relatedtobarnabas @ gmail . com

For the record, we've got an IRC channel going on for megamekkery (#megamek on synirc)

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Kicks are always better then punches I've found out, the hard way.
And on that note! Boot to the head

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Brandy Collins posted:

If the way was clear, could one or more of the protagonist infantry units make their way to the infantry-occupied hostage hex and engage/kill/capture that infantry unit directly without killing the hostages?

That's what I'm thinking, S2 should just head north. They've got the range to open fire from the woods, and the infantry to their east is easy pickings for S3 already. It would be a waste for them to shoot over there.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

At this point, rooting for the Space Chinese is even more unconscionable than it already was! Rest in Peace, Engine Joe. But at least Red_Mage has... the Techies? :shobon:

(As a very, very old and outdated aside: Robot Jox predates G Gundam. Just felt the need to point that out.)

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Can someone explain the details of how Engine Joe died? I'm not familiar with PnP or Battletech stuff at all. I'm guessing it was the flaming hit to the head, but I thought the head still had like 2 structure left or something. I was thinking that he was alive until I read pilot killed in the log, and I was like where did that come from? I guess I was expecting some big notification when the damage was dealt or something.

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 27, 2011

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
The infantry who fired on Firewalker with their SRMs killed him. One of the missiles hit the head and did 2 damage, just enough to kill him.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

enigma74 posted:

Can someone explain the details of how Engine Joe died? I'm not familiar with PnP or Battletech stuff at all. I'm guessing it was the flaming hit to the head, but I thought the head still had like 2 structure left or something. I was thinking that he was alive until I read pilot killed in the long, and I was like where did that come from? I guess I was expecting some big notification when the damage was dealt or something.

The DC SRM infantry fired conventional missiles at the Cat last round. One scored a headshot, taking out the last 2 points of internal structure.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
^^^^ Thanks!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So I suppose this means a headshot to the cockpit means no auto-eject? Poor engine joe... :smith:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Artificer posted:

So I suppose this means a headshot to the cockpit means no auto-eject? Poor engine joe... :smith:

Speaking of ejecting, how are we going to handle them in this thread?
Is it possible for a player to say "gently caress it, I'm ejecting" if he so chooses, and what happens after he bails out (irregardless if it was auto-ejection or not)?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've noticed that the Zhukov has no right armour remaining. So, good chance I can either shoot it to death, or the justice foot will finish it off.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

bunnyofdoom posted:

I've noticed that the Zhukov has no right armour remaining. So, good chance I can either shoot it to death, or the justice foot will finish it off.

Oh no you don't. That tank has been dogging me all game.

I will end it. :black101:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

You can't kick it - you're standing a level higher than it. Since tanks are only 1 level high, you'd be kicking at the air over it rather than the tank. You would have to step down into it's hex to do so, but then you could hit any one of the faces rather than hitting the right for sure.

Also, you would be standing still on top of a hill range 7 from the Vindicator and Blackjack AND range 1 from the Zhukov that still has two functional AC10s. They will shoot you full of many many holes.

Edit: ^^^ Yes, the Hunchback running up and ending it is a much better idea. You can get into the right arc AND not be a blatant stationary target.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

awww. I wanted to use my justice foot. Maybe the MG APC?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I have hands.

I will beat it to death with the remains of the Warhammer! :black101:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

If I move to 1409 or 1410, I can fire on the SRM carrier too if I read that right.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

If I move to 1409 or 1410, I can fire on the SRM carrier too if I read that right.

Nope. LOS is always decided in favor of the defender.

Go on and crush that APC, though. We gotta take it out anyway sooner or later... Just be careful about making yourself a target to those mechs! Remember that you're fragile!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, if nothing else we took out one Space Mexican and a few women and children.

Rock on, Death Commandos. You may live up to your reputation yet. :china:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Zaodai posted:

Well, if nothing else we took out one Space Mexican and a few women and children.

Rock on, Death Commandos. You may live up to your reputation yet. :china:

Bunnyofdoom Justice Kick list:
Slaan
Zaodai

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Just so you guys know, I'll be making full use of S3's "double damage if in the same hex" rule next turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Just so you guys know, I'll be making full use of S3's "double damage if in the same hex" rule next turn.

Then I'll provide cover by punting the APC. Also, will laser it too.

• Locked thread