Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Being flexible provides you with options and allows you to get away with some things but you're better off if you learn how to not have to get away with them. On the other hand I do wish I could omoplata people who have me in side control.

Exactly this. I'm hell of flexible, but I really wish I had a way to turn it off and react to positions and learn techniques like a normal person once in a while, or maybe that I had to stretch my way to my flexibility so that I could have actually learned proper movement and positioning instead of just rubber legging it.
Right now I'm working on flexing my legs and keeping them strong when people try to pass my guard. It might seem like an obvious thing, but when you're used to just being able to.. magically shove a knee in people's way when they try to pass, these little details have a way of eluding you until you start rolling with purple belts and above.

And to reiterate what everyone who warns me against relying on flexibility says; It's the easiest way to get hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010

Rids! posted:

How does one compete as a purple belt one day then compete as a blue at the next competition? How is this not sandbagging?

He's actually still officially a blue belt. For the no-gi worlds, he just wanted to test himself so he moved up a division.

Here's a video of him at the IBJJF European Open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhWNv77LsiI&playnext=1&list=PL5E59B38651FDFF6A

His guard in this match is quite different from what he was pulling off in the Abu Dhabi trials though, regardless, it's still very weird.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

And to reiterate what everyone who warns me against relying on flexibility says; It's the easiest way to get hurt.
Supposedly GSP's claimed that BJ Penn's flexibility actually weakened his "thoracic cage," I guess something about his core, so GSP chose to just get in there and dig in/grind (in the clinch) during their second fight to help wear Penn out faster.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Chortles posted:

Supposedly GSP's claimed that BJ Penn's flexibility actually weakened his "thoracic cage," I guess something about his core, so GSP chose to just get in there and dig in/grind (in the clinch) during their second fight to help wear Penn out faster.

GSP always has some insane physiologic theory for fights. I honestly cannot tell how much of it is snake oil and how much is actually true. Either way, I'd love for him and Jackson to put out a "theory of MMA" thesis.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

The thoracic cage is better known as the rib cage and isn't weakened by flexible hips, GSP also has a man rub his chest a certain way to align energy or whatever. Mental composure plays a major role in performance under any high pressure situation and a lot of time is spent on making athletes confident in themselves, their training/gameplan, nutrition etc. This means a lot of weird hokey superstition cropping up (especially since coaches are often former athletes themselves) like wearing the same pair of shoes for 10 years, drinking your own pee and pseudoscientific theories about all kinds of bullshit (you see playing with this kind of sole in your shoe will negate the difference in playing on clay/running this track/jumping on this material and if you gently caress 3 weeks before a fight your legs will be gone)

Dante fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 1, 2011

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

so why is it that wrestlers are massive/muscular compared to bjj competitors who have very little size? I mean they both primairly just do grappling, yet wrestlers seem to look in tremendously better shape. I notice it in mma also that wrestlers just are a lot bigger/stronger then the bjj guys.

I've only been grappling for a bit but the bigger guys tend to throw me around much easier, so would think strength would help.

Is it just that the sport is new so you don't have better athletes in the sport yet? Or does that size/strength not help in same way that it does in wrestling?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

shizen posted:

so why is it that wrestlers are massive/muscular compared to bjj competitors who have very little size? I mean they both primairly just do grappling, yet wrestlers seem to look in tremendously better shape. I notice it in mma also that wrestlers just are a lot bigger/stronger then the bjj guys.

I've only been grappling for a bit but the bigger guys tend to throw me around much easier, so would think strength would help.

Is it just that the sport is new so you don't have better athletes in the sport yet? Or does that size/strength not help in same way that it does in wrestling?

Wrestlers are encouraged to lift weights in their collegiate athletic programs, and BJJ was founded by a family of anemic Brazilians who consume nothing but fruit.

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP
Wrestlers come from wrestling programs, wrestling programs emphasize strength. Also wrestlers are gonna cut weight.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

shizen posted:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

shizen posted:

I think you might be a tad overstating it. There are lots of incredible BJJ guys with outstanding physiques but I think I know what you're kind of getting at.

A lot of it just has to do with the status of Folk Style Wrestling in the U.S. as a serious sport. When I was in Highschool I was competing with guys who had been wrestling since they where 7. Weight cutting starts early too, middle school and Junior high when kids are barely teenagers. Being the biggest you could and at the lowest weight class possible is pounded into the mentality of young wrestlers.

The other side of the coin is that BJJ started out as a martial art more than a competitive sport. Like a lot of martial arts it focused a lot on technique and knowledge as opposed to strength and size. Royce Gracie was chosen to compete in UFC one, not because he was the best but because he was smaller and thinner and fit perfectly with the marketing approach of the time.

As BJJ establishes itself more as a competitive sport and a martial art, in the way for example Judo has, you're going to see a lot of practitioners cutting more weight and spending more time on strength training.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Please note how Arona and Jacare became very successful by being the only Brazilians ever to work out.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
It should also be added that BJJ itself -- as a discipline separate from Kodokan judo -- began with Helio Gracie adapting the techniques of judo ("Kano Jiu-Jitsu") as taught by Mitsuyo Maeda to his brother Carlos, to fit his "scrawnier" self.

The "strength disparity" may or may not explain why some people have Roger Gracie lower on their p4p BJJ players' list than Marcelo Garcia (because of Gracie's physical advantages even for his weight class), as well as why Jacare once back suplexed Roger Gracie (ADCC 2005 absolute final).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Can somebody knowledgeable in BJJ give me the rundown on Xande Ribeiro? I have an opportunity to do some photo/video shoots with him very soon, but my knowledge of high level BJJ is very sparse.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

There's not really a lack of ripped BJJ guys at the top level.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

1st AD posted:

Can somebody knowledgeable in BJJ give me the rundown on Xande Ribeiro? I have an opportunity to do some photo/video shoots with him very soon, but my knowledge of high level BJJ is very sparse.

http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/xande-ribeiro-fighter-wiki

He's on the really short list of guys who have won the absolute world title multiple times. He's super well rounded(excellent on top and bottom) and is one of the best guys in BJJ at takedowns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZCuM34A07A

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

1st AD posted:

In addition to dokomoy's link, he is one of the only two men (the other being Jacare) to hold more than one win over Roger Gracie in gi competition at black belt (and Jon Olav Einemo being the only one with a recorded no-gi win over Roger), albeit in every case it was on points.

Here's Roger vs. Xande at ADCC 2005 (no-gi). Technique note: There's a triangle escape by Roger at 2:38 that's similar to Chael Sonnen's escape attempt against Anderson Silva's triangle in the UFC 117 main event, but Roger didn't leave his arm (or rather his elbow) in for an armbar like Sonnen did. The "Gracie Breakdown" for that UFC bout discussed this escape in more detail.

Here's Xande taking out Gabriel "head kicked Cro Cop" Gonzaga in less than a minute.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
he's also supernice and one of my biggest heroes so i am insanely jealous of you

if you're allowed to i'd really like to see the results when you're done!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Chortles posted:

It should also be added that BJJ itself -- as a discipline separate from Kodokan judo -- began with Helio Gracie adapting the techniques of judo ("Kano Jiu-Jitsu") as taught by Mitsuyo Maeda to his brother Carlos, to fit his "scrawnier" self.

This is the popular myth, but it's basically bullshit from Helio's side. BJJ as a separate discipline was a product of all the brothers, and Helio's version didn't differ significantly from Carlos'.

If anything the major sea-change in BJJ came from Carlos' son Rolles, who was basically acknowledged by everyone (including Rickson) as being the best in the family, and was the one that started training in wrestling and Sambo to complement his BJJ.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Bjj also has a ton more people who do it as a hobbie, and therefore aren't early twenties D1 athletes. There are not many wrestling clubs or people who wrestle as a side activity once you get out of school. So, you see a more varied type of body because there are people who train three times a week all the way up to professional athletes.

If you take a bjj sample limited to black/brown belts at a major competition, they would probably look fairly similar to wrestlers.

Also, guys that aren't black holes of muscle can do fairly well in Bjj, more often than they do in wrestling where the rules favor more compact builds. Often, these guys are actually deceptively strong, they just don't look like body builders. Roger Gracie tore the sleeve off of Robert Drysdale's new gi, which is ridiculous.

J Wiggle
Jun 16, 2006

5th spare on the W&W Powerlifting Team
I just started taking BJJ, I go to my 4th class tonight. Some questions:

Any tips on not getting triangled or armbarred when in a guy's guard? Anytime I try to grab him and push him down to start a guard pass I get my arm taken, I'm bigger and stronger than most of these guys so I can fight it a bit but eventually I get triangled or armbarred. I'm trying to posture up but my long arms are such an easy target.

Is it worth my time to fight close submissions? I am able to get out triangles and guillotines if I try but this expends alot of energy, am I better off tapping early and moving on?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

J Wiggle posted:

Any tips on not getting triangled or armbarred when in a guy's guard? Anytime I try to grab him and push him down to start a guard pass I get my arm taken, I'm bigger and stronger than most of these guys so I can fight it a bit but eventually I get triangled or armbarred. I'm trying to posture up but my long arms are such an easy target.

Is it worth my time to fight close submissions? I am able to get out triangles and guillotines if I try but this expends alot of energy, am I better off tapping early and moving on?

1) Pay attention in class, and ask this question in a year. This isn't a gently caress off answer, it's just that there is nothing anyone here can tell you that will matter.

2) Yes, for now you should try to escape, but don't be "that guy" and try to slam or toss people around, or do dirty things out of desperation. However, if your gas tank isn't up to par and spending 10 minutes fighting a choke means you have to sit out 2 rounds to recover, you are better off just tapping after a few escape attempts.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

J Wiggle posted:

The answer to this and 95% of "What do I do in xx situation?" is, you are going to be destroyed by guys for a long time, so don't sweat it. There are a lot of answers to that specific question and it's hard to explain it here. Listen to the guys at your gym and just train more. Also, tap as soon as you feel uncomfortable. Tap often. There is absolutely no shame in doing so. When I was a white belt I used to joke that I had tapping calluses on my hand. :)

AZCollins fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 1, 2011

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
You'll get the hang of it as you go on, everyone gets triangled and armbarred like crazy when they start. I'm only a few months in and am still pretty much in that stage, but I've learned a few things that might be helpful.

Always keep your elbows inside and tight to your chest. This makes it harder for your opponent to isolate an arm. This is even more true when you're on your back in side control for example.

Never leave one arm inside the guard; either have both outside the legs or both inside.

If you're rolling with a gi, don't just leave your arms on the person's chest when you're in their guard. Make notches and think of better positions to grab like the collar, wrist, or (especially) hips.

edit: Better yet, ignore what a loving white belt is saying and listen to the blue belts at your gym instead.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

J Wiggle posted:

There is no easy answer but in my school we have these positions when in someone's guard called Base 1 and Base 2. Base 1 in when you're sitting almost straight up and leaning just a little bit back. Don't spend a lot of time here because they could chest sweep you pretty easily, but you're too far back that they'd have to try and pull you back down to submit you (unless they're built like Stefan Struve). Use Base 1 to start passing guard.

Base 2 is when you're pressing into them. You're head is next to theirs, your shoulder is in their throat, you probably have underhooks, and you're on your feet to add more pressure. They can't submit you easily, and with all the pressure it's hard to sweep you. You go to this when they start to break you down from Base 1.

The area inbetween these 2 Bases is the DANGER ZONE, because they can easily triangle or armbar you there. Never be in the DANGER ZONE for more than like 1 second while moving between Base 1 and Base 2.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

J Wiggle posted:

The only advice really worth giving over the internet is to either have both arms inside the guard or both arms outside the guard. Other than that, the best way to learn defense is to keep getting caught in those submissions until you start to identify why you ended up getting submitted and what you could do to prevent it. Also, ask the guys who are submitting you what you're doing wrong or how they are setting up their submissions so you can better understand what exactly is going on. Its more of a time thing than anything else.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
As others have said, there isn't a whole lot we can offer over the internet other than "keep going to class and pay attention." The basic advice I like to give to beginners for when you're in guard is to pay attention to where your elbows and hands are. If your hands are any higher on their chest than the bottom of the ribcage, you're going to get armbarred. If your elbows are inside their knees, you're going to get triangled. Try to keep your grips a bit lower and your elbows on top of their knees (this also lets you feel where their legs are and when they're trying something).

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
Just pretend you are T-Rex, do nothing in guard, and once they get tired pass.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Xguard86 posted:

2) Yes, for now you should try to escape, but don't be "that guy" and try to slam or toss people around, or do dirty things out of desperation. However, if your gas tank isn't up to par and spending 10 minutes fighting a choke means you have to sit out 2 rounds to recover, you are better off just tapping after a few escape attempts.

to add to this, if it's painfully obvious that you aren't going to get out except by breaking free by literally brute strength i honestly think you should just tap and move on until you have technical ways of escaping and instead try to make sure not to end up there in the first place.

this early in your training career you aren't learning anything by using superior strength and you're only going to piss off your sparring partners.

HOWEVER with that said later on if you are consistently stronger than your sparring partners you should and are going to learn how to control them using your strength because it still is an asset that you should use, and your sparring partners will at the same time learn how to deal with somebody stronger than them, which benefits both. but - and this is just my opinion - technique should come first.

let me also reiterate the advice to keep your arms close to you, especially your elbows. the placement we learned was to keep one hand slightly on the side of their stomach and the other on the floating ribs, and both elbows tucked against the inside of their thighs.
from there you adjust depending on what they're going for and this is the hard part and what we can't teach you, you're going to have to learn to "feel" what they're going for and this only comes after a lot of mat time.

Opal fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 1, 2011

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
These are all really good answers.

What I've done in the past is look up videos of how to PERFORM a certain move and take notes on what I have to do to AVOID that move.

For example, an instructional may say that to PERFORM an armbar from guard the person on the bottom must bring my arm to the centre of his chest.

I know that to AVOIID it I must keep both of my arms on their respective sides of his body.

That sort of thing.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

westcoaster posted:

Also, I have long spindly arms, and the one nice thing is you can do a one armed RNC. Just grab the guys shoulder and inch your arm up to your own neck until you are effectively collar tieing yourself. I tapped some guy with that at my last tourney.

Yeah this is much easier for me to do than actually sinking an RNC with both arms. I get more one armed guillotines than regular ones too by using the gi (theirs or mine)

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Yeah this is much easier for me to do than actually sinking an RNC with both arms.

Same here.

I usually underhook the left side and get wrist control and grab my or their shoulder with my right arm to get the choke.

I think a lot of folks feel safe because they know that one of my hands is too busy to cinch up the choke. Too bad for them.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I'm having trouble picturing finishing an RNC without using my other hand do drive their head forward into it. Otherwise my arm is long enough that they have too much space for it to be effective. Are you applying pressure with your chest or shoulder to drive it, or are your proportions just perfect to get the right amount of squeeze just grabbing your shoulder with the one arm?

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
I wouldn't worry too much about that alteration to the choke if you're doing alright with the normal choke. Personally my RNC has improved dramatically after having done the following:

1: Using my off hand to fend away the far side arm from a collar tie so the choke is much harder to block.

2: clenched my hand in a fist as I bring it across to set up the choke so people don't be bending my fingers.

3. setting up sort of like how you would with the one handed choke with the first hand, grabbing behind the shoulder and hiding the hand to avoid as much hand fighting as possible.

4. Sinking my rear arm low as I draw it across rather than using it to push on the back of the head or anything.

5. Improving my body and head placement, keeping myself roughly even with the person rather than getting high on them.

I don't have the skinny arm problem but especially that last thing has really helped, which is important for me considering I prefer working from the back.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

Grab Your Foot! posted:

3. setting up sort of like how you would with the one handed choke with the first hand, grabbing behind the shoulder and hiding the hand to avoid as much hand fighting as possible.

That is huge; it lets your free hand to do alot of stuff, like trapping their arm with your leg or going for a body triangle.

http://www.grapplearts.com/Blog/2006/11/a-roadmap-for-the-rear-naked-choke/

That video taught me alot of little tricks.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

mobn posted:

I'm having trouble picturing finishing an RNC without using my other hand do drive their head forward into it. Otherwise my arm is long enough that they have too much space for it to be effective. Are you applying pressure with your chest or shoulder to drive it, or are your proportions just perfect to get the right amount of squeeze just grabbing your shoulder with the one arm?

I just had a play with it then.

Assuming the right hand is choking, I'll grab either their shoulder or mine, depending on how big they are.

The grip on the shoulder becomes a fulcrum. I sort of drop my right elbow a tiny bit and pull back my right shoulder at the same time as pushing out my chest.

I might be pushing their head forward with my head too. I can't remember exactly.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

mobn posted:

it's just compressing the carotids this way

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

mobn posted:

My instructor is always preaching that you should breathe in really sharply once you have it somewhat locked up, so that your chest pushes him into the choke further. It's kind of weird but it's effective.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

colonel_korn posted:

My instructor is always preaching that you should breathe in really sharply once you have it somewhat locked up, so that your chest pushes him into the choke further. It's kind of weird but it's effective.

it also reminds you not to hold your breath and gas out like a retard.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
My RNC technique is pretty bad, which is probably why I don't think I could finish it one handed.

Once I get my arm under their chin, I do the standard hand-on-bicep grip, and put my free hand on the back of their neck. I push forward with that hand, and squeeze my bicep on the choking arm to add more pressure. If I don't do these two things, my arms are long enough that there's free space in there and I don't get enough pressure on the arteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

mobn posted:

My RNC technique is pretty bad, which is probably why I don't think I could finish it one handed.

Once I get my arm under their chin, I do the standard hand-on-bicep grip, and put my free hand on the back of their neck. I push forward with that hand, and squeeze my bicep on the choking arm to add more pressure. If I don't do these two things, my arms are long enough that there's free space in there and I don't get enough pressure on the arteries.

Try to make your elbows touch.