Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Apology posted:

You probably know a lot more about it than I do. I did find a map from the 1870s that showed Kurdistan as a separate nation. For reference, there was also an Armenia on the map.

Can you link to it? I have a feeling that it's probably Iranian Kurdistan, which was ruled by a vassal chieftain (Ardalan) until the Qajars outright annexed it in the mid-19th century.

Any widespread Kurdish revolt or uprising in the current region would get very messy, very quickly. The Turks, Iranians, and Iraqis are all deathly afraid of pan-Kurdish separatism, and afraid that if Kurds in another country get too much independence, their own Kurds will want the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

ALJ posted:

Robert Gates, US defence secretary, says 400 Marines are aboard the amphibious USS Kearsarge - currently headed toward Libya. But he also said the UN SC resolution passed on Saturday did not authorise the use of force - and that NATO members are spilt on whether to take military action.
Uh oh. That doesn't sound good.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Roark posted:

Can you link to it? I have a feeling that it's probably Iranian Kurdistan, which was ruled by a vassal chieftain (Ardalan) until the Qajars outright annexed it in the mid-19th century.

Any widespread Kurdish revolt or uprising in the current region would get very messy, very quickly. The Turks, Iranians, and Iraqis are all deathly afraid of pan-Kurdish separatism, and afraid that if Kurds in another country get too much independence, their own Kurds will want the same thing.

I was wrong, it was from 1896, not 1870:

And here's a cleaned-up version that someone drew based on the newspaper map:

Edited to fix broken tables sorry :shobon:

Apology fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 1, 2011

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That's just a map of the region generally recognized as Kurdistan, not a state as such.

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
I'm not going to say that

glug posted:

And the US were influenced by the helping hand of France providing arms to us rebels, followed by Spain and the Dutch jumping in our our enemies and securing our breakaway, I mean you can do that poo poo all day and ultimately if you're going to judge a country and it's government you're going to have to judge that country and it's government.

Cause what happened in 1776 is comparable to what happened in the 1980's when comparing current levels of corruption and their root causes.

Are you serious?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Cartouche posted:

Has the "security" council ever actually done anything of substance?

Yes, they've fairly often sent in peacekeepers, issued arms embargoes, established no-fly zones, enacted sanctions etc.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Xandu posted:

Yes, they've fairly often sent in peacekeepers, issued arms embargoes, established no-fly zones, enacted sanctions etc.

I do have to admire how successfully the UN has been painted by the GOP as completely useless or irrelevant regardless of a person's general political leanings.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

IRQ posted:

I do have to admire how successfully the UN has been painted by the GOP as completely useless or irrelevant regardless of a person's general political leanings.
I think the biggest thing that makes the UN ineffective is the fact the countries with the most belligerent foreign policies are able to veto any action whatsoever with no recourse, but are still powerful enough to not abide by rulings in the first place.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

That and it's not a fast moving organ, it's an awful bureaucracy. People demanded the UN immediately enact a no-fly zone and consider peacekeepers, but that's just not how it works. Plus it's had abysmal failures in Rwanda and Somalia. And when dictatorships like Libya are on the Human Rights Council, it further erodes the credibility of the UN. The criticisms aren't completely off-base.

But yeah, I've heard so many people bitch about international law being useless because of Israel and the US, but that just focuses only on its failures.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Xandu posted:

And when dictatorships like Libya are on the Human Rights Council

Well at least that's been rectified. Per the AP:

quote:

UNITED NATIONS (AP) -- The full membership of the United Nations has suspended Libya from the U.N. Human Rights Council.

The U.N. General Assembly voted by consensus Tuesday on the council's recommendation to suspend Libya's rights of council membership for committing "gross and systematic violations of human rights." It is also expressing "deep concern" about the human rights situation in Libya.

Of course, that doesn't resolve the fact Libya was on it to begin with...

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I'm glad to see somebody in power admit what a no-fly zone would actually entail.

http://www.france24.com/en/20110301-libya-no-fly-zone-would-require-bombing-raids-us posted:

AFP - Enforcing a no-fly zone over Libya would first require bombing the north African nation's air defense systems, top US commander General James Mattis warned on Tuesday.

A no-fly zone would require removing "the air defense capability first," Mattis, the head of Central Command, told a Senate hearing.

"It would be a military operation," the general said.

The United States and its allies are weighing possible military action, including a no-fly zone, as Libya's Moamer Kadhafi used his forces to crush mounting opposition.

Although Kadhafi's military is badly outgunned by US and NATO aircraft, the regime has dozens of surface-to-air missiles that could shoot down allied warplanes.

As the head of US Central Commnad, Mattis overseas American forces in the Middle East and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

US military doctrine usually requires knocking out an adversary's air defense missiles and radar any time air power is used.

Officials said earlier the US military was moving air and naval forces near Libya to prepare for a range of options that could include a show of force or more direct intervention.

The West heaped pressure on Kadhafi after loyalists tried to retake a key city near the capital following a show of defiance by the veteran leader the US dubbed "delusional."

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Apology posted:

You probably know a lot more about it than I do. I did find a map from the 1870s that showed Kurdistan as a separate nation. For reference, there was also an Armenia on the map.

The other guy already kind of covered this, but that map you're referencing says right on it that it's a map of the Ottoman Empire, which had a province (not nation) called Kurdistan.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Ballz posted:

As I understand it, putting places like Libya on the HRC was entirely intentional on the part of the UN administration, as part of an attempt to make authoritarian regimes clean up their act or be exposed as hypocrites on the international scale.

Unfortunately, it turns out that dictators have no real problem with demanding children be shot in the street or troublesome minorities be exterminated while simultaneously acting like they condemn another country's abuses.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 1, 2011

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

IRQ posted:

For once it's not the GOP's fault. Remember that not everyone here is American and the idea also exists in other places of the world.

I think the cause is the difference between the public's perception of the UN and the actual UN. People like to imagine it as the overarching government of nations that can quickly intervene in international disputes (this is also where conspiracy theorists are afraid of) while in reality it is more of a loose alliance mostly concerned with preventing all-out wars.

It is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just not what many people imagine/want it to be.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Ballz posted:

Well at least that's been rectified. Per the AP:

Have you seen the entire list of members? The entire council is a joke. Problem is, there are so many terrible countries out there, and geopolitics leads to countries having positions they should not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Human_Rights_Council#Members

For example:

Bahrain
Pakistan
Saudi Arabia

The list of countries, most of which have serious ethnic conflict, either overt or covert.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

IRQ posted:

If you lived in a non super power country that was in dire peril would you expect the UN to save you? I sure as hell wouldn't expect them to do much of anything. Sure they care, but they've stood by and watched so much poo poo go down over the years that it's to the point of no one having confidence in that way of helping people.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Apology posted:

I was wrong, it was from 1896, not 1870:

And here's a cleaned-up version that someone drew based on the newspaper map:

Edited to fix broken tables sorry :shobon:

As pointed out before, the first map is showing regions, not countries. Armenia, on that map, is "the land where the Armenians live," not an actual country of Armenia. You can see national borders on that map and "Armenia" is divided between the Ottoman and Russian Empires. Due to some unpleasant events during WWI, there are basically no Armenians left in the Ottoman-held parts of Armenia and the Russian-held part, now the independent country of Armenia, is where most Armenians are.

Your second map is some Kurdish activist's proposal for what an independent Kurdistan would look like. It takes the eastern third of Turkey, northern Iraq, a good chunk of northern Iran, and a sliver of Syria. You can see why that'd be unpopular.

Anyone remember that absurd map that some neocon in the US made about what the Middle East should look? I'll see if I can find it.

LITERALLY MAD IRL
Oct 30, 2008

And Malcolm Gladwell likes what he hears!

Patter Song posted:

Anyone remember that absurd map that some neocon in the US made about what the Middle East should look? I'll see if I can find it.

Don't bother, it was a joke map.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Apology posted:

Istanbul was Constantinople?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

LITERALLY MAD IRL posted:

Don't bother, it was a joke map.

Fair enough, but it's still a good rendition of Kurdish ethnic fantasies of what the Middle East "should" be.

There are a number of absurdities like Lebanon getting Syria's coastline that make no sense whatsoever, and I assume that's what you meant. Also, the two successor states to S. Arabia should be named Najd and Hijaz after their historical ancestors.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spiky Ooze posted:

If you lived in a non super power country that was in dire peril would you expect the UN to save you? I sure as hell wouldn't expect them to do much of anything. Sure they care, but they've stood by and watched so much poo poo go down over the years that it's to the point of no one having confidence in that way of helping people.

The thing is, the UN isn't an independent sovereignty with its own military or anything. UN peacekeepers are just volunteers from the militaries of member nations. What the UN does is basically provide a place where world leaders can meet and agree on things that are in everyone's best interest; they don't have any power to ENFORCE those things, because the whole point is that if you agree to something then it's supposed to show your intentions of actually doing that thing and you shouldn't have to be forced. Of course in practice it doesn't work out that way, and often you have the US opting out of a lot of the resolutions because it might technically implicate their military actions as being criminal and they'd have to prosecute.

It's a voluntary system, basically. It's meant to foster goodwill between nations rather than act as some sort of global code of law.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Patter Song posted:

Fair enough, but it's still a good rendition of Kurdish ethnic fantasies of what the Middle East "should" be.

There are a number of absurdities like Lebanon getting Syria's coastline that make no sense whatsoever, and I assume that's what you meant. Also, the two successor states to S. Arabia should be named Najd and Hijaz after their historical ancestors.

Also, Israel would never acquiesce to the pre-1967 borders.

LITERALLY MAD IRL
Oct 30, 2008

And Malcolm Gladwell likes what he hears!

Patter Song posted:

No actually the joke part (and I use that term very very loosely) is that there are states called "poo poo" and "rear end".

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

davebo posted:

Istanbul was Constantinople?

The City of the World's Desires

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Protesters in Malta scale the Libyan embassy and replace the flag.

http://f1plus.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20110301/local/old-libyan-flag-taken-into-libyan-embassy

Also from AJE

quote:

12:08am

Have we been here before? A further UN resolution isn't needed before military intervention, says Britain's foreign secretary. William Hague's comments come just hours after French foreign minister Alain Juppe said there would not be any no-fly zone imposed without UN backing. Hague said:

There have been occasions in the past when such a no-fly zone has had clear, legal, international justification even without a Security Council resolution - it depends on the situation on the ground.

British officials would have to take "full legal advice" before acting with foreign allies without UN backing, he said, adding: "You would certainly need a very strong degree of international support."

Hague haven't you embarrassed yourself enough in the past few weeks? Who do you think you are? Biden?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Even in a fantasyland concocted by neoconservatives, the status of the palestinians is "undetermined"

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

LITERALLY MAD IRL posted:

No actually the joke part (and I use that term very very loosely) is that there are states called "poo poo" and "rear end".

He was quite serious, actually. He wrote a book about terrorist networks and their funding, particularly Saudi Arabia, and the map was included. I think he was quite serious, poo poo and rear end are obviously intentional jokes, but neo-cons actually believe that.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Well, my father has finally made it to Benghazi after who knows what reason kept him in Beda. He is a very money motivated chap, who believes in duty and hard work, but also loves anything that he can get, and is fair game. So, I would love to believe he had a gun at his head to maintain the facility, but I am sure there was something else. Not another family, the odds of that are too atronomical. He was one of two people out of 30 odd people. Only other guy was his Libyan boss, and his company is Libyan.

He still has no visa and passport ( thats not the reason he stayed, he got out numerous times before) so thats more fun, if there is no longer the freeport in Benghazi. If he was, in fact, rolling in Gadaffii's gold like Scrooge McDuck I will donate a dime to the first 10 poster's favourite charities.

As he won't give me any.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 2, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/03/its_time_to_play_sheen_beck_or.html

Gaddafi, Beck, or Sheen?

It's actually pretty hard.

Trickjaw posted:

Well, my father has finally made it to Benghazi after who knows what reason kept him in Beda. He is a very money motivated chap, who believes in duty and hard work, but also loves anything that he can get, and is fair game. So, I would love to believe he had a gun at his head to maintain the facility, but I am sure there was something else. Not another family, the odds of that are too atronomical. He was one of two people out of 30 odd people. Only other guy was his Libyan boss, and his company is Libyan.

You have a badass dad.

edit: Wait, maybe not, that post was kind of hard to understand. Why did he go to Benghazi?

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
This belongs here:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Xandu posted:

edit: Wait, maybe not, that post was kind of hard to understand. Why did he go to Benghazi?

I didn't get that either. What kind of facility is it?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

davebo posted:

I didn't get that either. What kind of facility is it?

Beda is an oilfield so he was probably working for a Libyan oil company from what I gather. It sounds like they eventually had to shut down when everyone else left.

Hope your dad stays safe Trickjaw.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Yemen

Dhamar

Taiz

Aden (couldn't quickly find one to show scale, but they're at least as large as in Taiz)

Shibuya

al-Hota

and from Sana'a, a video
http://video.marebpress.net/watch.aspx?vid=5313

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh
An interesting response to those who would say that the people of Yemen don't have a strong national identity. Not that anyone necessarily said so in this thread, but I have seen it several times.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Sorry, wasn't intentionally trying to be obtuse. He works for Agoco http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabian_Gulf_Oil_Company whilch is is a BP shill, but not above doing the worst. Its also a place that also hinted darkly by the old boy at doing more than one would assume in the field of nerve frying solutions than you would expect of an oil refinery. Every few years they blow something up with horrid effects.

I can't say why he stayed there, I think he must have had a money motivator. I personally think he may have been offered a bounty to stay and maintain things. They still do produce oil. He was also working there when Regan bombed him. He maintains an apartment in Tripoli that my mother never heard of, so I'm sketchy, and to my eternal shame suspicious of his intent.

e: It should also be said, I don't want the silly old oval office dead, and really appreciate the support.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
From AJE:
"3am Al Jazeera's correspondents report that anti-government protesters are being given crash courses in how to operate guns and larger heavy weapons by serving and retired army officers, in a bid to prepare for any possible confrontation with Gaddafi's forces. The picture below shows a trainee learning how to use an anti-aircraft gun in Benghazi"

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Chade Johnson posted:

An interesting response to those who would say that the people of Yemen don't have a strong national identity. Not that anyone necessarily said so in this thread, but I have seen it several times.

Well, they're unified in their hatred of Saleh, anyway. Even the Islamists are getting in on the action.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
AJE has an article outlining the intentions of France, Russia, UK and the US for military intervention in Libya. Quite a bit has been mentioned before, but it summarizes each coutry's opinion nicely.

Here's the gist of it:

US - has ships stationed nearby (6th fleet in Naples), as well as airbases, and the USS Kearange and USS Ponce will pass through teh Suez canal tomorrow. the US says they're for humanitarian aid, but "aren't taking any options off the table."

UK - has airbases nearby, wants a no-fly zone in place ASAP, and Cameron is still going on about arming Libyans. A US military official said a no-fly zone is easier said than done, and would involve taking out anti-air defenses. There as talk from them that they might necessarily need a UNSC resolution to go ahead with their plans.

Russia - ruled out a no-fly zone, want to focus more on sanctions. Claims that military intervention outside the NATO responsibility zone would be considered a violation of international law, and a no-fly zone is a serious interference of another country's domestic affairs and would require a UNSC resolution. Also said US military action in Libya could "kill the shoots of democracy in the region".

France - okay with mlitary intervention, but only with a clear UN mandate. They also have a large airbase nearby.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think that all seems pretty reasonable. Really, they shouldn't HAVE to do anything, but I can understand them wanting to be ready in case things take a sudden turn for the worse (like if some of the pilots actually started following through on the orders to bomb the country). The best thing they can do for Libya right now is to stay out of it, but keep an eye on it. The Libyan people seem to have established a pretty strong foothold in the country now, and while Qaddafi is apparently willing to fight until his dying breath, it's really just a matter of time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Xandu posted:

Aden (couldn't quickly find one to show scale, but they're at least as large as in Taiz)

Wow, this picture makes the Teabaggers (gogo corporate-sponsored "revolutions") look even more shameful than they already are.

• Locked thread