Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

Still can't figure out how boxee's going to make money... just on downloads, like taking a cut from netflix?

They're licencing their software out to hardware manufacturers. D-link, IOMega and Viewsonic are already partners, and I know they're trying to get their software on TV sets the same way Plex is coming out on some LG TVs later this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

BorderPatrol posted:

They're licencing their software out to hardware manufacturers. D-link, IOMega and Viewsonic are already partners, and I know they're trying to get their software on TV sets the same way Plex is coming out on some LG TVs later this year.

That's weird, i coulda sworn they said they were giving it away free and it was content that was going to generate revenue.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Mister Fister posted:

That's weird, i coulda sworn they said they were giving it away free and it was content that was going to generate revenue.

Really don't know where you'd get that idea, considering Boxee generates zero content.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

TheScott2K posted:

Really don't know where you'd get that idea, considering Boxee generates zero content.

No, i mean, i coulda sworn reading they'd be charging content partners for a cut, or start their own service where they'd buy tv/movies to rent, that sort of thing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It's possible, but then who's paying who? Is Netflix paying Boxee for bringing in more Netflix customers, or is Boxee paying Netflix for selling more Boxee boxes? I would have to say Netflix is paying Boxee because Netflix has more to gain.

But then here's Hulu, who obviously hates Boxee (or the content partners do), and want nothing to do with their box unless it's a Hulu Plus program. Who's getting paid to be there?

And then there's the 50+ free plugins, who makes money from that?

I guess only Avner Ronen knows.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Maybe content providers are paying to get on the Featured home splash. Although based on the content there, I don't think that's true.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Macrame_God posted:

Okay, I just tried the Boxee Box on a different TV with a different HDMI cable and it works. Very strange. I may hold on to the Boxee for a while longer and see what happens. Honestly, I think the HDMI cable that came with it is just a piece of crap.

This may be an issue with the resoluton.. Try changing the resolution to 480i from the working tv. Make sure the firmware is all up to date, then move it to the other TV (still on 480), and see if it comes up. If it does, then go through and see if you can change the resolution.

When I was testing mine (pre sp3) it did something similar. The TV would not accept 1080i until I forced 480 using a computer monitor. No issues since going through the hoops.

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

deong posted:

As I read it, Scratch2k does not use the Library function/pretty list. It works fine for my boxee box when I use the library, but not the file browser. The file browser does not appear to show 'watched'.

Yeah, that's exactly it. I don't want to add some folders of content to the library but I do want those folders to have the watched flag. Sounds like boxee doesn't support it, I'll either have to suck it up and organise my media in those folders and add them to the library or buy a mac mini and use Plex.

Thanks for the answers.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'd say at this point Netflix sells the boxes more than the boxes sell Netflix.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

deong posted:

This may be an issue with the resoluton.. Try changing the resolution to 480i from the working tv. Make sure the firmware is all up to date, then move it to the other TV (still on 480), and see if it comes up. If it does, then go through and see if you can change the resolution.

When I was testing mine (pre sp3) it did something similar. The TV would not accept 1080i until I forced 480 using a computer monitor. No issues since going through the hoops.

This sounds right. I'll try this next chance I get.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

In regards to how Boxee intends to be profitable, from what I read they intend to make all of their money off of premium content they sell through their software. They are actually not making any money from having the software on the dlink or iomega boxes, but the increased market share improves the amount of people buying movies, shows or watching other various crap that makes them money.

The front page also probably has a money component to it, i'd guess. If anything, this explains their motivation to get video and app signing/security stuff out above redoing their music or other various things.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there any chance of getting themoviedb support? Are they ever going to bring 1.0 to desktops or are they keeping it for the box itself?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I believe the issue with alternate scrapers is due to licensing. As I understand it, IMDB is the only one with a commercial licensing avil? I would love if they could change to the TVDB and MovieDB, or at least allow us to change it through menu's.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

deong posted:

I believe the issue with alternate scrapers is due to licensing. As I understand it, IMDB is the only one with a commercial licensing avil? I would love if they could change to the TVDB and MovieDB, or at least allow us to change it through menu's.

Yeah thats what I remember, I was just wondering if any progress has been made.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Is there a way to manually identify shows outside of the Boxee Box? I have a whole bunch that come up with weird season or episode numbers because it's picking up either the resolution size in the file name or the CRC, which makes for hilarious episode numbers.

Season 1280, Episode 720. :haw:

I'm guessing I have to rename the files themselves and refresh it...

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002
new home, old colors, same Arsenal

deong posted:

Huh, WDTV Live use themoviedb.org for its content info.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

pimpslap posted:

Huh, WDTV Live use themoviedb.org for its content info.

That sucks; then there isn't a good reason for the scraper sucking rear end. It was a good enough excuse that I believed it..

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm guessing I have to rename the files themselves and refresh it...

Pretty much. A lot of my stuff imported with no problems, but there were a few series that were named incorrectly or didn't pick them up at all. Take the time to rename to Showname.SxxEyy.ext and things will go a lot more smoothly. If you really, really need the file information for some reason, rename the file but keep the nfo.

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
I was playing about with the software on my reasonably powerful desktop machine yesterday, and I was actually mightily impressed and I want to sort out a solution to replace my 360 for playing local content.

I have a Samsung NC10 netbook lying around not doing much. Is this going to be able to handle what Boxee throws at it? I used to use it for travelling and it played some hefty MKV's etc with VLC fine.

It has 2gb RAM, but standard other than that.

I intend on sticking on a barebones w7 build and running Boxee exclusively. It'll sit behind the TV and I shall control it with the app available for iDevices.

Is this realistic? I'm too broke to buy a boxee box, or I'd love to own one.

Fishhook
Jul 15, 2004

The specter of me reflected

Captain Cancer posted:

I was playing about with the software on my reasonably powerful desktop machine yesterday, and I was actually mightily impressed and I want to sort out a solution to replace my 360 for playing local content.

I have a Samsung NC10 netbook lying around not doing much. Is this going to be able to handle what Boxee throws at it? I used to use it for travelling and it played some hefty MKV's etc with VLC fine.

It has 2gb RAM, but standard other than that.

I intend on sticking on a barebones w7 build and running Boxee exclusively. It'll sit behind the TV and I shall control it with the app available for iDevices.

Is this realistic? I'm too broke to buy a boxee box, or I'd love to own one.

It is probably worth trying. I've run Boxee on a netbook (WinXP), so I know it will run, the question is how it will look. Might be a bit choppy.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I just discovered this issue, which may very well not be a boxee issue...

I posted in the boxee forums with no response, other than one from another person experiencing the same issue.

I have two WD elements 2TB drives. When I connected them to my PC, i had a drive collision that prevented them from being simultaneously recognized. Once I renamed each drive (2tb and TWO), and assigned them a different drive letter (K and O), the problem was cleared up.

However, when connecting directly to the Boxee Box, it only is able to run one drive at a time. It thinks they are the same drive, and the name 2tb shows up regardless of which one is connected.

ThePhreak
Aug 17, 2004

Can you feel that...That thang that's beatin' in your doggone chest like that...Can you feel that?!?!

Cornjob posted:

I just discovered this issue, which may very well not be a boxee issue...

I posted in the boxee forums with no response, other than one from another person experiencing the same issue.

I have two WD elements 2TB drives. When I connected them to my PC, i had a drive collision that prevented them from being simultaneously recognized. Once I renamed each drive (2tb and TWO), and assigned them a different drive letter (K and O), the problem was cleared up.

However, when connecting directly to the Boxee Box, it only is able to run one drive at a time. It thinks they are the same drive, and the name 2tb shows up regardless of which one is connected.

Can you hook your HDs to your router and see if that works? I just filled up my 2 TB drive and was about to purchase another, but I run them through my router instead of the Boxee so maybe this could somehow change the circumstances.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

ThePhreak posted:

Can you hook your HDs to your router and see if that works? I just filled up my 2 TB drive and was about to purchase another, but I run them through my router instead of the Boxee so maybe this could somehow change the circumstances.

Fixed. had to backup all the content, reformat the drive, then dump the content back to the drive.

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young

Fishhook posted:

It is probably worth trying. I've run Boxee on a netbook (WinXP), so I know it will run, the question is how it will look. Might be a bit choppy.

Well just an update for anybody else who may be considering being a cheapskate and using a netbook to run as a Boxee box box, this solution works OK.

Some annoying aspects are that it can be a bit laggy on the menu's, it takes forever to scan and identify on an external HDD (500gb worth of content), but as far as actually playing videos goes, it's perfect and has handled everything I've thrown at it.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
How do .iso's work for TV shows? I'd rather just copy the image than rip each episode but how will boxee box recognize it? Would Boxee recognize each individual episode and if so would it play that episode right on startup or would I have to watch the dvd's intro crap?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Drevoak posted:

How do .iso's work for TV shows? I'd rather just copy the image than rip each episode but how will boxee box recognize it? Would Boxee recognize each individual episode and if so would it play that episode right on startup or would I have to watch the dvd's intro crap?

If you're ripping them as .isos, then it will act as if you inserted the actual dvd into a dvd player. You can likely find a tool or two to remaster the iso to remove intro crap, etc. I haven't bothered, I don't have too many TV shows on DVD that I intend to watch any time soon.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Drevoak posted:

For TV shows, which tend to be low on extras anyway, I'm remuxing them into .ts files. Some people go the extra mile and convert to x264 MKVs, but I've got more hard drive space than time. They take the same space as the DVD since the streams are untouched, but you get a file for each episode and can keep commentaries as an alternate audio track. gently caress menus.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

devmd01 posted:

If you're ripping them as .isos, then it will act as if you inserted the actual dvd into a dvd player. You can likely find a tool or two to remaster the iso to remove intro crap, etc. I haven't bothered, I don't have too many TV shows on DVD that I intend to watch any time soon.

AnyDVD will remove the annoying ads from both DVDs and BRDs. It's a great program.

Now that I got my Boxee working the way I want it, I'm rather happy with it. However, it seems that I've run into a bit of a problem. I currently have my Boxee connected to my network via Ethernet so that I can stream BRD iso files without experiencing any stuttering and it works great. However, Boxee seems to be having trouble playing uncompressed audio. I first noticed this when I tried playing "Modern Times", which has an uncompressed mono audio track, and there wasn't any sound. I then switched to the commentary audio track and the sound came back on. I then tried "Seven Samurai", which also has an uncompressed audio track and the same thing happened, no sound. However, when I switched it over to the 5.1 digital remaster the sound kicked back on. The same thing happened with "Red Desert" too when I tried playing it.

There is another TV in my house with a far more advanced audio system (the TV I'm currently using is playing the audio from the TV itself) but it would be a pain in the rear end to have to move everything to that TV to test it out. Any ideas on how to work around this problem?

EDIT: Nevermind. I found the solution. If I make a .mkv file out of the disc instead of an .iso then the sound plays just fine.

EDIT 2: Sweet! I hooked my XBox 360 HD-DVD player to my computer to see if I could use MakeMKV to create a backup of my copy of Blade Runner that could run on Boxee through my home network. Sure enough, it worked like a charm! Thank you Boxee and MakeMKV. You just saved me from having to go back and repurchase my HD-DVD catalogue on BluRay. :woop:

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 14, 2011

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
I posted this on the boxee forums but I figure you guys are smarter so I will post it here too. Would appreciate any advice:

My set-up:

1. 2TB WD HD plugged into Boxee Box over USB.

2. Boxee Box plugged directly into Linksys WRT54G Router.

3. Laptop with Windows XP connected to router over wireless.

I'm trying to access the hard drive from my laptop.

On the Boxee Box I went into the network settings and enabled sharing and deleted the password. I ran the XP network wizard on the laptop but the box does not show up. The router itself and a wireless printer do show up, and I can access them from my laptop. The laptop and the Boxee Box both connect fine to the internet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong? Could there be some router setting that is wrong? I have powered-off and restarted all of the devices.

Thanks in advance.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Lump Shaker posted:

Thanks in advance.

My setup is close.

250gb HD USBed into the Boxee
WRT54G
LAN to a Windows7 box
Wifi to OSX laptop

I setup SMB sharing and network sharing with no password on the Boxee. And made sure that the Boxee is on the same work group as the Windows7 box. Instantly shows up under network on the Windows box.

I can also smb://IPADDRESS to the Boxee on my Mac without issue.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Ziploc posted:

And made sure that the Boxee is on the same work group as the Windows7 box.

Thanks! I knew it was something obvious like that that I was missing.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
Updates are cool.

quote:

Good news Boxee lovers, there’s another update on the way. During Episode 118 of the TechWebcast podcast, VP of Marketing for Boxee, Andrew Kippen revealed details of the upcoming update. Previously un-announced publicly, Boxee 1.5 will include a ‘a huge browser update’. The update will dramatically improve the browser speed (browser launch time, page load times), as well as increasing compatibility with websites, particularly flash-enabled content. Expect better format support for HTML5 and CSS3 standard.

It’s important to note that the desktop versions of Boxee are still stuck on 0.9, while the Boxee Box moves forward. It is now abundantly clear the Boxee Box is where the company focus is. When Boxee Box launched late last year, desktop software was scheduled for early 2011.. its middle-late March and still no update. Kippen confirms later in the interview (31 minutes in), the desktop updates are ‘on-hold’.

Another big announcement is that there’ll also be an iPad app for Boxee that allows you to stream content to your TV, via Boxee Box. Effectively they just announced Boxee Box will have AirPlay support ! Strangely Kippen specifies it’ll be only available on iPad 2. The Boxee app for iPad will also allow you to see what your friends are watching, similar to the Friends shared videos section on Boxee Box. Given most of these videos require flash, I doubt they’ll be playable inside the app (YouTube excluded).

Sucks for desktop users, but overall pretty great news.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

tgijsola posted:

Updates are cool.

Sucks for desktop users, but overall pretty great news.

Has the desktop software really been wanting for updates? Seemed stable and capable when I used it. The Boxee Box always seemed to need a little bit of extra work to get to the Software's level.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
edit: nevermind.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 22, 2011

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Has anybody used a service like Witopia or USVideo.ca or anything to access American content (US Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, etc.) from Canada?

dag01
Mar 9, 2004
for you to be inside of me is a delightful concept
I'm pretty tech unsavvy but this thing sounds amazing. This may be a silly question, but if I had two televisions, would I need two boxees?

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Has anyone had to RMA one of these? I have had mine since release and love it but recently it stopped putting out any video. Tried multiple tvs, factory reset, recovery mode, you name it. Still no video, even tried a few different hdmi cables. I tweeted and they told me to email marcel@boxee.tv but it's been like 4 days without a response. I want a new boxee sooner than later and was wondering if anyone knows the fastest way to make this happen without buying a second unit.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

dag01 posted:

I'm pretty tech unsavvy but this thing sounds amazing. This may be a silly question, but if I had two televisions, would I need two boxees?

Yes, unless you're running hdmi-capable video distribution through your house. Given the first four words of your post, i'm guessing you don't. :)

You could move the unit between TVs, my boss does that but I would think it'd be a pain in the rear end after a while. You might consider a cheaper unit like the WDTV Live for the lesser used TV.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Esk1 posted:

Has anyone had to RMA one of these? I have had mine since release and love it but recently it stopped putting out any video. Tried multiple tvs, factory reset, recovery mode, you name it. Still no video, even tried a few different hdmi cables. I tweeted and they told me to email marcel@boxee.tv but it's been like 4 days without a response. I want a new boxee sooner than later and was wondering if anyone knows the fastest way to make this happen without buying a second unit.

For future knowledge if you know you are going to RMA it call 1 877 45D LINK. You have to go through trouble shooting with them even if you have through boxee before they will let you RMA. Probably two more weeks without boxee, sigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I recently acquired a Synology NAS box for storing all of my media files. Previously I had been storing them on a USB hard drive and playing files off of it through a wired network using Boxee Box. I've already set up the NAS and moved files on to it, but what I need to know is how do I get my BB to set the files on the NAS as sources. Before I just had to set up the sharing settings for the USB drives, but it's not quite that simple with the NAS. My Boxee will recognize it as DISKSTATION, but it won't let me access it (Operation not permitted). Any advice? I've been going back and forth trying to do a bunch of other things today and I'm at my wits end. I'm just too exhausted to keep messing around with this thing.

• Locked thread