Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
Crap.
Expected delivery says the 8th.

That's just not good. It says it's shipping from New Jersey.
I didn't even know there were books in New Jersey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismiss
Oct 17, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

When he talks about the machinery beneath the University, I have this fear that we're going to find out that the current world is built on the ruins of a high tech world! Woooo, never heard that story before!

I saw Pat speak and do a reading of his other book, The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle, last summer. He also gave us a very early sneak preview of Wise Man's Fear.

One of the questions that came up had to do with how he develops his characters and whether they're based on people he actually knows. I always liked Auri in the first book, and I guess she is very roughly inspired by a guy named Tunnel Bob from Madison, WI who practically lives in the steam tunnels under the university. So, I think all the stuff under the university in the book has more to do with Pat's interest in the idea of someone living and exploring a cool underground place rather than being a major plot point.

My copy of Wise Man's Fear arrived today. I'm only 50 pages in, but so far I'm really enjoying it. When I read the first book I was really turned off at first by Kvothe seeming like such a perfect and amazing hero (the whole "You may have heard of me" thing especially). So far, nothing like that in the second book, and it gets right back into the main story right away, which is nice. I did enjoy the part where Kvothe tried to convince the young kid not to join the army but just got laughed at. It seems like a good response to all the exaggerated lore surrounding Kvothe, here he is just pretty much a regular guy, or at least fooling everyone into thinking so.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
500 or so pages in. It's pretty awesome for the most part, but (not really a spoiler so to speak, no plot points just bitching) I think I'm beginning to hate Denna more than Faile, which if you've ever read WoT is rather impressive. This entire series would be infinitely better if Denna wasn't in it. "OH I DONT WANT TO DRIVE HER OFF BUT I LOVE HER SO SHE SMELLS LIKE JEALOUSY IS LIKE A WILD SHY DEER A SHY TWO LEGGED DEER I WANT TO NAIL BUT I MUSTN'T HOLD ON TOO TIGHTLY awww she disappeared again who saw that one coming, time to loving cry about it for two pages" I'll be all into the story of some other poo poo going on, and all the sudden twenty pages of Denna. I hope she's actually Cinder post-sex change operation. It's not even that she's a bad character, it's just that Kvothe is a giant loving babby every time she shows up (or more accurately stops showing up)

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I read the first book when it came out, and since then I haven't really thought about this book until I saw the second part came out. Could someone post the important points in the story of the first book? I'd rather want to start with the second book instead of re-reading the first one.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Grawl posted:

I read the first book when it came out, and since then I haven't really thought about this book until I saw the second part came out. Could someone post the important points in the story of the first book? I'd rather want to start with the second book instead of re-reading the first one.

Here you go:

onefish posted:

Rothfuss put up a summary of Name of the Wind in cartoon form for those who don't want to reread the book before the sequel, but need some kind of memory refresher: http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011/02/our-story-thus-far/

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
300 pages in and so far so good.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

xwonderboyx posted:

300 pages in and so far so good.

427 pages in and I'm enjoying it!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Pretty good so far, but I still find every section involving Denna tedious at best.

cuddlefish
Nov 11, 2003

That was a game.

This is paintball.
I've been enjoying it a lot so far, but I just reached the part with Felurian :barf:. It's like all the creepy nerd fulfillment he'd been holding relatively in check flooded out in one horrible looong chapter.

The Denna fight was also really uncomfortable. He's so in love with her and thinks she's so perfect, but the second he's mad at her he almost calls her a whore. Nothing at all to do with the fight, just him instantly wanting to go there.

I guess what I'm saying is, almost anytime a girl shows up it's still awkward as hell.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

cuddlefish posted:

I've been enjoying it a lot so far, but I just reached the part with Felurian :barf:. It's like all the creepy nerd fulfillment he'd been holding relatively in check flooded out in one horrible looong chapter.

The Denna fight was also really uncomfortable. He's so in love with her and thinks she's so perfect, but the second he's mad at her he almost calls her a whore. Nothing at all to do with the fight, just him instantly wanting to go there.

I guess what I'm saying is, almost anytime a girl shows up it's still awkward as hell.

Yup. I'm with you on the Felurian point 100%. I actually stayed up too late reading it last night, and that poo poo finally made me put the book down. He had better be going somewhere awesome with this.

Regarding Denna - Well, whilst being an incredibly creepy stalker he did in fact overhear her giving advice to a street urchin on being the best whore she could be, immediately after saying something to the effect of "You remind me so much of me" or "I see myself in you clearer than a mirror". Also, as someone who has a family mostly comprised of redheads, they do have a hell of a temper and WILL go there. I was just so excited to be rid of Denna and then all the sudden this Felurian poo poo starts.

Despite all this bitching, I'm still enjoying the book a hell of a lot. Just not on the level of a new Brandon Sanderson or Jim Butcher book.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Put the book down, 'bout 700 pages in. I am going to finish it, but it has certainly killed my enthusiam about finishing it.

After the very creepy fairy sex chapters, we get kvothe being a suave rear end in a top hat who thinks women are instruments to be played. Yes he qualifies it, and yes it's a metaphor kvothe might make. But the fact he made it at all is incredibly unsettling to me. He apparently has the power to seduce almost any woman and its just... I thought he was trying to steer away from the over powered awesome poo poo. He goes to trouble to explain stories and how they built up around him, and that is kind of cool. But there are conversations, especially in the pub straight after he returns from the fae land, that I flat out do not believe would happen. No one acts like that except in deluded personal fantasies.

I am in the middle of the hand speak kung fu people section. The writing is still smooth but literally the only thing I care about is the seven and how he became Kote, and I know its hardly going to touch on those. The Oracle tree was incredibly cool though, props to Rothfuss for that.

Its not bad, but I just feel its lost the heart of the story.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
On the theme of the above, I'd also like to contribute that published authors, nevermind grown men, shouldn't unironically (or ironically) use the word "nekkid."

Please.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I am teetering on the edge of picking this up, and having read the little plot synopsis I have to ask one question.

Does a majority of the book end up with him "learning the ways of love" from the hottest faerie chick on the planet?

If so, that's horrible enough self insertion/wish fulfillment/zapp brannigan that I might wanna actually read just for the laughs. It might just topple the anita blake wereswan sex as the #1 "what in the holy gently caress was the writer thinking?" contender.

Not looking for details, cause god knows I am going to get a shitload of those from the book, but just looking for a yes or no answer.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I am teetering on the edge of picking this up, and having read the little plot synopsis I have to ask one question.

Does a majority of the book end up with him "learning the ways of love" from the hottest faerie chick on the planet?

If so, that's horrible enough self insertion/wish fulfillment/zapp brannigan that I might wanna actually read just for the laughs. It might just topple the anita blake wereswan sex as the #1 "what in the holy gently caress was the writer thinking?" contender.

Not looking for details, cause god knows I am going to get a shitload of those from the book, but just looking for a yes or no answer.

If you don't want to know the answer to this question do not read this! I don't know about the majority of the book, but yes, he does learn the ways of love from the hottest faerie chick on the planet. And I don't have the book here at my office to check, but it feels like it went on at least 50 pages. And I haven't finished reading that part yet.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I just finished it. Say one thing for Patrick Rothfuss, say he writes some awkward poo poo in regards to love/romance/sex.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Hughmoris posted:

I just finished it. Say one thing for Patrick Rothfuss, say he writes some awkward poo poo in regards to love/romance/sex.

If you cut out all of the awkward sex poo poo and at least 80% of random girls fawning over kvothe the story would be much better.

Then again if he spent a little more time on the interesting poo poo like the weird scraelings in present day bumblefuck town and the demons that killed his family then the story would surpass much better and skyrocket into amazing (assuming he has something interesting to say about that stuff, since hes had some fairly cool ideas i'll give him the benefit of the doubt).

The best thing about the series is that Kvothe is your standard over powered hero who becomes a burned out shell who can barely do anything but tend to a bar. That's interesting. If the hints in this book are anything to go by, he might have a cool ending.

But I will still skip any Fairy loving pansy rear end boring perfect pretty boy poo poo and roll my eyes every time some girl waxes poetic about kvothe.

Also, gently caress Denna. Seriously, whenever she shows up the story goes into the shitter. If the tragic ending to kvothes story is that she dies in excruciating pain while he is forced to watch, I don't think he will cause the emotions he is hoping for in his readers. Kind of like when Margaret Thatcher dies, traditiondictates a funeral and the country will get a hangover and a traffic cone on its head

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I'm about 200 pages into the book and loving it so far. I like how Elodin is getting a bigger part in this book--I love his sensible brand of craziness. Also, never did get the hate for the Denna parts, and still don't; maybe it's just that I'm not that far from when I was 15 and that big of an idiot about girls.

But really, like Name of the Wind, the thing I love most is just how drat immersive and readable Rothfuss's writing is. I just started today and can barely read how far I've read, considering how I don't read very quickly at all.

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
So according to the Q&A, there will be a role playing game. I can't remember what system he quoted, but I think that "hero" was in the title.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mastur posted:

So according to the Q&A, there will be a role playing game. I can't remember what system he quoted, but I think that "hero" was in the title.

Is that what that was about? I was stuck in the back, so I could barely hear anything. :(

Anyway, I'm thinking he may have meant this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_System

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

tirinal posted:

On the theme of the above, I'd also like to contribute that published authors, nevermind grown men, shouldn't unironically (or ironically) use the word "nekkid."

Please.

But in terms of the character he was speaking to that is perfectly acceptable.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
I got through the Felurian section last night. It is way too long and very weird. However if that is the price that must be paid for the oracle tree I think it is balanced out. I'm not "only" concerned with the Chandrian, and the above cited section aside I've enjoyed the writing, so I'm enjoying seeing more about how the world works. All in all I'm also liking that Kvothe is shown loving things up because he is such an overpowered rear end in a top hat who doesn't think through the consequences of his actions.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

xwonderboyx posted:

But in terms of the character he was speaking to that is perfectly acceptable.

Yeah, he made me think that Rothfuss just started using "nekkid" instead of "naked," when he only used it when quoting Auri and referencing that same quote like two pages later.

Bizob posted:

All in all I'm also liking that Kvothe is shown loving things up because he is such an overpowered rear end in a top hat who doesn't think through the consequences of his actions.

I haven't read Name of the Wind since last year, but I distinctly remember this happening a lot even in the first book, which is why I didn't get it when people were tearing the character apart for being too one-sided. He's a kid who's extremely smart, which gets him in over his head because he doesn't have enough wisdom to question whether he should be doing something.

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 3, 2011

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Guys...I don't want to alarm you. But I have a copy of Wise Mans Fear sitting on my desk.

Literally, it is sitting there.

I cannot even contain my excitement.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I have 15 pages left.

Kvothe's character is not consistent with his original character from the first book, primarily in intelligence. I understand Rothfuss had the choice of toning it down or not toning it down, but doing the former then implying that we are just supposed to accept the new, dumber Kvothe is not a solution. He basically just revisionist historied the first book. It's the laziest way to attempt repair.

I feel like this book had more flaws than the first one. The entire sex portion of the book is laughable. Thanks Pat, I'll take a pill, make sure chicks are safe, and bareback everyone! Hell, they are only objects, right? Then I'll ride around the world white knighting for a while until super powerful warriors teach me secret fighting arts and grant me a two thousand year old magic sword! At some point, I will find one of the seven most dangerous beings in the world chilling in the woods and ambushing a few tax collectors for gold.

Am I really to believe that the 2nd-3rd most dangerous guy to ever exist just chills with bandits in the woods and robs people?

There were a few interesting points. The flashback to Baby Kvothe's first murder, a little but more lore about the seven, the hate-gently caress tree.

At this point, I would put Patrick Rothfuss on par with someone like Tanya Huff or C.S. Friedman, when he could have been a Scott Lynch or Joe Abercrombie with a good second showing.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

Is that what that was about? I was stuck in the back, so I could barely hear anything. :(

Anyway, I'm thinking he may have meant this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_System

He did mean Hero System, which is pretty good at what it does (and certainly capable of doing the job) but maybe not what would first come to my mind when selecting a system.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Dammit, how is there not a single copy of this goddamn book anywhere in Winnipeg? :argh:

Adunare
Feb 6, 2011

All whack with poo brain.

LGD posted:

He did mean Hero System, which is pretty good at what it does (and certainly capable of doing the job) but maybe not what would first come to my mind when selecting a system.

I was really hoping for FATE or something else FUDGE based, myself, but at least it's not D20? When he said Hero, I almost considered asking why not FATE but realized I didn't want to be That Person.

cuddlefish
Nov 11, 2003

That was a game.

This is paintball.

MrFlibble posted:

Its not bad, but I just feel its lost the heart of the story.

This is exactly how I feel. A lot of cool new stuff in the world was introduced- the entire Adem culture, some Vintan aristocracy, the Big Mean Tree... but by the end the book felt like it had literally just been a string of anecdotes rather then a string of anecdotes formed into a cohesive story.

The first book had it's flaws, but I remember at the end I really wanted to read more. I had a lot of questions- who are the Chandrian? Why are scary extinct creatures attacking in the present day? How does Kvothe eventually get kicked out of the University? Will I ever give a crap about his relationship with Denna? Etc. There was a sense of building tension.

When I finished this one, I was just kind of like... well, hmm. Rothfuss made an interesting choice in contrasting the past becoming more fanciful (getting tutored in sex by Titania, rescuing the almost-King and gaining him an almost-Queen), with the present being completely mundane (whooped by the soldiers Bast sent to help him get his groove back, nothing more on extinct creatures, just burying the dead guy, doing taxes and a guy we don't know thinking about signing up for the army).

The tree makes it even weirder because Chronicler's logic at the end is flawed when he says, "But you might do A or B, so how could the tree know?" Bast described it as omniscient, so the tree sees that you might do A or B, and simply picks the path where you end up doing B and ruining the world.

I have no idea what the third book will be like. That said, the direction it's pointed is that Kvothe will become more powerful but lose it all, open an Inn to hide out, and then complete his apparently preordained spiral into death and disaster.

A book is a journey, a trilogy even more so, but I don't really have a lot of questions for the third one right now. To me, the heart of the first book was that despite the format of a present-day, obviously alive Kvothe relaying his past, it somehow still felt like there was a lot that was unknown and uncertain.

This book really took away a lot of the uncertainy for me, even if there's still a big part of the story that's unknown.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

cuddlefish posted:

When I finished this one, I was just kind of like... well, hmm. Rothfuss made an interesting choice in contrasting the past becoming more fanciful (getting tutored in sex by Titania, rescuing the almost-King and gaining him an almost-Queen), with the present being completely mundane (whooped by the soldiers Bast sent to help him get his groove back, nothing more on extinct creatures, just burying the dead guy, doing taxes and a guy we don't know thinking about signing up for the army).

The tree makes it even weirder because Chronicler's logic at the end is flawed when he says, "But you might do A or B, so how could the tree know?" Bast described it as omniscient, so the tree sees that you might do A or B, and simply picks the path where you end up doing B and ruining the world.

I think he was making an argument for free will, just very poorly.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Just finished. If anything this book leaves me more questioning, I imagine that the present is much closer to the story than we think. I find it hard to believe that say he's already defeated all the bad guys etc.

End of the book spoilers ahead.

I wonder about Bast, his motives, etc. Everyone (Kvothe) keeps saying the Fae aren't human and we forget that at our peril, I'm not sold on Bast.

The Chandrian and the Amyr are still absolutely unknown, we gained a little from fairy sex god, the Adem, the hate tree, and Bast about the creation myth (very LOTR btw) but you have to string it together and I kind of stopped paying attention. This is what I remember:

There was one unified world, it consisted of those that knew the names and moved through the world. Then the shapers came, they were like the knowers but used their knowledge to have mastery over the world. The knowers disagreed with the shapers, at some point there were seven "cities" and sounds like seven great "men". Halliax was one of the shapers, he corrupted six of the seven men/cities. One remained true, this was the start of the Amyr? It turns out that the tree aided some of this by screwing with the people who went to visit it. That was as much as I can remember of the top of my head.

Also, I think Kvothe changed his name or someone else did, Elodin freaks out when he suggests it. Kvothe probably trusted someone (Denna) with his true name and got burned, hard. His name was changed and thus he was changed, stripping him of his power. Or he changed his own name when Denna died without really knowing it. Bast is trying to help him reclaim his true name/destiny/power/etc.

Bredon... Amyr? Denna's patron? Both? or aligned with the Chandrian side perhaps? I think somewhere it said being near the Maer would bring him close to the Amyr, unless that was a reference to the Lackless' family which would be ironic as they hate the Ruh.

I want to know what's in all the secret boxes.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 3, 2011

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Ok, right now im stuck on the part where he is going to learn kung fu from the nudist mercenary free love Tibetans. , but yeah, everything that was stupid or weird about the first book is back in this book, except stupider and weirder, but the stuff I loved about the first book, like the storytelling and the fun contrasts between the past and the present are there too, so it's not a bad book at all.

There are a few (dozen?) chapters that just stop the story dead and are hard to get through, but it's all building up to something, and the villians of the book seem to be as good as Darth Vader or Voldemort, or at least that's how they're described, since they still haven't shown up, only one of them has a cameo in the story so far, but a few of the others got a shout out.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Days late, but I just finished. Was fun, for all my snark from earlier.

He's no Guy Gavriel Kay, but Rothfuss is a decent wordsmith from a pulp sort of view and the story itself was entertaining if plodding at times. There were also a handful of genuinely funny moments that got the better of me, precisely because the book is so desperate to be taken seriously the rest of the time and it was a bit like being ambushed by a grotesque.

Though I'm not ashamed to say I started skipping whole paragraphs with Denna in them. She's incredibly kitchy and helpless, and all the more so because I'm sure Rothfuss is trying to write her as his idea of a strong feminist supporting lead.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

tirinal posted:

Though I'm not ashamed to say I started skipping whole paragraphs with Denna in them. She's incredibly kitchy and helpless, and all the more so because I'm sure Rothfuss is trying to write her as his idea of a strong feminist supporting lead.

See, I'm not sure I agree. She's a fake-strong feminist supporting lead. I actually don't hate the character or even the dialogue. I view her as extremely flawed and codependent person. I think all of their fancy talk is for fun because they're both clever or a facade to avoid serious conversations.

Further, I think while Kvothe is in love with her, he on some level knows she's so screwed up that he's better off waiting. Sure, he probably could have slept with her on a few different occasions now, but he's hoping for more than just a one time thing.

Kvothe is the Ted Mosby of this world.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Lyon posted:

Further, I think while Kvothe is in love with her, he on some level knows she's so screwed up that he's better off waiting. Sure, he probably could have slept with her on a few different occasions now, but he's hoping for more than just a one time thing.

Not done with the book yet (maybe 350 pages in; I'm slow :() but I loved the part when Wil straight-up called him out on just being scared of rejection.

Lyon posted:

Kvothe is the Ted Mosby of this world.

You're awesome for this.

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007
My main beef with this is that every other women character is superior when compared to Fella. The sad part is, he doesn't do a bad job writing female roles when compared to other authors *Pulls on braid, sniffs*.

But yeah, I have nothing to look forward to for his next book. Should have had an epic Ambrose battle.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Initially I was a trifle put off by the fact the author subjects us to our hero loving and winning the love of an immortal fairie that exists to destroy the minds of man but then a wonderful thing happened. I remembered our hero was Zapp Brannigan telling of his amazing conquests, and then all was well. Unfortunately this technique doesn't work with every scene with Denna, which I maintain is the most loathsome "love" story I have witnessed since Attack of the Clones.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

keiran_helcyan posted:

Initially I was a trifle put off by the fact the author subjects us to our hero loving and winning the love of an immortal fairie that exists to destroy the minds of man but then a wonderful thing happened. I remembered our hero was Zapp Brannigan telling of his amazing conquests, and then all was well. Unfortunately this technique doesn't work with every scene with Denna, which I maintain is the most loathsome "love" story I have witnessed since Attack of the Clones.

Hah, I had forgotten about someone saying reading it in Zap Brannigan's voice made it a lot more tolerable.

Does anyone have any interviews where Rothfuss talks about Tak? He didn't really detail it enough, but it reminded me an awful lot of Go. It didn't seem like the pieces moved once placed and particularly the part about playing a beautiful game. Reminded me a lot of the Japanese philosophy surrounding the game.

Also, someone needs to address my speculation before I start going into weird fantasy boards to get my theory fix!

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007
Does anyone else think that The object in the box will be the half of the moon? It better not be something lame, like the moon being Denna or I'm going to punch a monkey.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Speculation that I'm just about 100% sure on: Meluan Lackless is Kvothe's aunt. Meluan hates the Ruh because one of them stole her sister, Kvothe's mother was seduced by his father away from the nobility. Kvothe keeps having weird recognition that he can't place when he meets her. Hell, Kvothe's mom gets mad at him in Name of the Wind for singing a tawdry song about Lady Lackless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

keiran_helcyan posted:

Speculation that I'm just about 100% sure on: Meluan Lackless is Kvothe's aunt. Meluan hates the Ruh because one of them stole her sister, Kvothe's mother was seduced by his father away from the nobility. Kvothe keeps having weird recognition that he can't place when he meets her. Hell, Kvothe's mom gets mad at him in Name of the Wind for singing a tawdry song about Lady Lackless.

Speculation: I thought that too. I assume, without other evidence, that we are supposed to believe that is true. Also, in the end he has her box which is supposed to be a family heirloom. Also, who thinks that each of the Chandrian have an aura that defeats what they are weak too? The one makes iron rust, another causes trees and the such to decay, another is plague, darkness. We're constantly reminded that far are weak to iron, certain types of trees, light/darkness, etc.

• Locked thread