Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

gimpsuitjones posted:

how does one not get guillotined when shooting a double. (I cannot wrestle at all)

My answer to this is to abandon your shot as soon as possible and turn it into a guard pull, or just shoot singles, but I know that's not what you were looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Who Gotch Ya posted:

My answer to this is to abandon your shot as soon as possible and turn it into a guard pull, or just shoot singles, but I know that's not what you were looking for.

Go straight to x-guard.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

both times ive seen xande beat roger he did it in a very lame manner involving abusing the points for takedowns. I remember it well because I read an interview with Drysdale where he said basically the only way anyones going to beat roger is by doing that,
Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza may have the most triumphal example of this @ Mundials 2004 absolute final (with the help of a ref who just wouldn't DQ him; it was gi competition by the way), which just made the rematch @ ADCC 2005 absolute finals (no-gi) all the more epic.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Go straight to x-guard.

Yeah dropping straight to x guard rules too. The "pick them up and put them down on their back" move from x guard is so much easier than shooting a double.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Yeah dropping straight to x guard rules too. The "pick them up and put them down on their back" move from x guard is so much easier than shooting a double.

My go to move is arm drag, if that fails-single, if that fails-drop to x. I don't care how it translates because I'm there to have fun not to win fights.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

the yellow dart posted:

For reference, even Koscheck has said that they train in the gi at AKA. This is a guy who has been wrestling since he was literally in the womb, but trains in the gi because it makes him a more technical submission wrestler. Training in the gi is a good way to get good at BJJ and submission wrestling, not just for the gi, but in general.

well a counter point didn't josh barnett win no gi worlds and he has never trained in a gi I believe

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

shizen posted:

well a counter point didn't josh barnett win no gi worlds and he has never trained in a gi I believe

Against who?

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

gimpsuitjones posted:

how does one not get guillotined when shooting a double. (I cannot wrestle at all)

As others have said, the main trick is to keep your head up which wrecks the angles needed for a guillotine. Alternatively, if you're like me and terrible at wrestling but still insist on shooting, let them get the guillotine, pass to side control when you land, and sub them with a Von Flue choke.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
My slightly under one year of gi bjj and one class of no gi has led me to the following over-simplified conclusion : gi has more moves.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Also, if you are a lot bigger and stronger than your training partners, taking your Gi off almost feels like cheating because you can just power your way out of a lot of what they are trying to do. With the Gi you can't budge the small fuckers unless you use technique.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.
I haven't done any training for a year. My brother wants me to teach him some boxing so I my stuff out. My mouthpiece doesn't fit as perfectly as it used to, should I just re-boil and bite or do I need to buy a new one?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

RobBorer posted:

I haven't done any training for a year. My brother wants me to teach him some boxing so I my stuff out. My mouthpiece doesn't fit as perfectly as it used to, should I just re-boil and bite or do I need to buy a new one?

They usually reboil fine, but if it doesn't, they're only like 99 cents at wal-mart anyway.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

fatherdog posted:

Correct, people never wear long sleeve jackets and pants in real life.

You're not gonna be good in nogi or mma unless you do some training nogi and mma, but you said

Which is obviously untrue since the majority of people who are top sub guys in no-gi and mma spend most of their time training gi

ricardo arona is the best no gi grappler of all time, and instead of doing pajama grappling he surfs and tans.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Against who?

i think he lost in the final to romulo and it wasn't a world championship.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Gomi Pile posted:

i think he lost in the final to romulo and it wasn't a world championship.

He lost to Romulo in the finals of a gi tournament, but a week or two before he won the No-Gi World Championships. Also Josh's coach is a BJJ blackbelt.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

generatrix posted:

As others have said, the main trick is to keep your head up which wrecks the angles needed for a guillotine. Alternatively, if you're like me and terrible at wrestling but still insist on shooting, let them get the guillotine, pass to side control when you land, and sub them with a Von Flue choke.
Warning: doesn't work against a McKenzietine, in that passing to side control doesn't alleviate the blood choke.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Chortles posted:

Warning: doesn't work against a McKenzietine, in that passing to side control doesn't alleviate the blood choke.

True, and my response was more of the comedy options anyways. For the serious record: do not willingly dive into a guillotine. Keep your head up (they can't choke you with their armpit).

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

fatherdog posted:

where are you reading that, because I'm pretty sure it's not true
I got it from wikipedia, from Roger's article.

Loss Alexandre Ribeiro Points (4-2) World Jiu-Jitsu Championship (Absolute Division) 2008 Final
Loss Alexandre Ribeiro Points World Jiu-Jitsu Championship (Absolute Division) 2006 Final
Win Alexandre Ribeiro Submission (Triangle) Pan American Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2006 Absolute Final
Loss Alexandre Ribeiro Advantage Pan American Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2006 Weight Final

It's wikipedia though, but reading it was what prompted the question.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Incidentally, Roger claimed that the last loss in 2008 was influenced by his MMA training that year (I assume for the Yuki Kondo fight), so he skipped MMA in 2009, went on his epic 2009 Mundials run, then claims to have just trained gi (probably not entirely true) for Randleman since he had the 2010 Mundials coming up, and this year was consciously focused on the 2011 ADCC/Mundials over the Prangley fight.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Training in the gi also makes your grip strong. Basically pajama fighting rules.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

dokomoy posted:

Also Josh's coach is a BJJ blackbelt.

If we're talking about Paulson I've trained with him a couple times too and everytime it was Nogi.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

generatrix posted:

True, and my response was more of the comedy options anyways. For the serious record: do not willingly dive into a guillotine. Keep your head up (they can't choke you with their armpit).

There are a couple types of modified guillotines that work even if the person getting choked passes to side control. McKenzie uses a prayer choke I think and then there's the elbow up guillotine and they work pretty much the same way I think and can be defended the same way, but it's less about position and more about preventing that arm from coming up.

You can't alleviate the choke by moving to cross side but if you can keep your opponents non-choking arm pinned to their side and drive your weight into and through the choke you can avoid the choke while you hand fight and you can pretty much hang out for as long as you want so long as you maintain control of that opposite elbow. I don't actually have much experience with McKenzie's choke so I honestly don't know exactly how to defend a prayer choke but it looks pretty similar, I'll try it out. Here's what I mean:

Here's a video of Kenny Florian explaining the modified guillotine.

Here's the McKenzie version (I think).

Here's Din Thomas defending. Especially for the elbow up version you want that other arm pinning his elbow to his side for as long as you're in the choke.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
In case anybody is interested, the Big XII Wrestling championships are being streamed live by Fox Sports Midwest at the link below.

http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/pages/stream/0

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Sweet, wrestling owns everything.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Going to try to sign up for this International grappling tournament thing in Toronto. Grappling at Roosterweight, bitches. So far zero people are in my divison, time to win this poo poo by default.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 6, 2011

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- JIU-JITSU (18 Submissions)
- QUANTUM PHYSICS

shizen posted:

don't really want to spend extra 100+ on gi

Get a Padilla and Sons when you want one, they're generally rated at the top of the heap and mine was $90.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

well he finally did it

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
God drat that head

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker

gimpsuitjones posted:

All the above answers are good, if the double is the shot you want to do and are strong with may I suggest shooting a double and switching to a single. It allows you to still get that penatration with the double but then you can switch your hands to the single on whatever side you have more control over, stand up and finish the single while pulling your neck out of danger. When I go against high level black belts and they don't just decide to jump guard I very rarely will shoot a double all the way as it usually ends up bad. It's all personal preferance really but I find that by shooting a double into a single leg I keep my neck out of danger and it leads more readily into landing into half guard rather than full guard.

Edit - And to follow the discussion about No-Gi and Gi training they both strenthen the other by cross training, everyone pretty much trains both if you are an Abu Dhabi quality jits person.

Mardragon fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 7, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
So Mark Bocek came into the place yesterday and is really, really strong and really, really good. That's all.

e;

OrangeCrush posted:

Rolling with the gi on is like the sickest video game you ever played on crack, man. I mean its just loving awesome! something about the grip game and how much everythign is "slowed down" makes it incredibly fun and strategic.

Eh. I find nogi a lot more fun. But I guess I've always preferred twitch-gaming anyway, so..

VV Yep! It's pretty rad VV

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 8, 2011

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Bocek's twitter said he was gonna be training with Marcelo Garcia. I guess youre learning under Marcelo then... what an opportunity!

CONTENT:
I've only really started BJJ lessons for like 2 weeks now. I feel that if I was to go to the free rolling sessions, I would only get in the way and nobody would want to roll with the silly noobie. Should I get a better grasp of some basics before showing up to these sessions or should I just show up and be someone's grappling dummy.

fawker fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 8, 2011

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Show up but say that you are new and that you would love for them to go a little easy on you, also to tell you what you are doing wrong/correct. Rolling with a newbie is quite fun for a lot of people because then they can gage how better they have become as well, so that shouldn't be a problem. Just whatever you do, don't spaz around trying youtube leglocks and flying "i will kick you on the teeth by accident" armbars. Relax, stay calm and try to identify whatever is happening to you. Oh and tap quickly and go for position rather then submission.

Bohemian Nights, whenever you get your black-belt by Marcelo Garcia you are obligated to come train with me on Sørlandet.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

fawker posted:

I've only really started BJJ lessons for like 2 weeks now. I feel that if I was to go to the free rolling sessions, I would only get in the way and nobody would want to roll with the silly noobie. Should I get a better grasp of some basics before showing up to these sessions or should I just show up and be someone's grappling dummy.

You're like a practice dummy that moves. I'm gonna roll with you, and use the oppertunity to practice my leg overs in side control or something like that. Just go, experience is good.

What I used to do was roll, then go home and look up a sub, a position, or a pass I'd had trouble with that day and try to figure out where I was doing it wrong.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Bohemian Nights posted:

VV Yep! It's pretty rad VV
Are you in NYC permanently Bohemian Nights? I think there are a few of us in the greater NYC metro area: me, CortXbomb, fatherdog (if you include NJ), Holland Oats, Danny Cadaver and perhaps some others. Of course, none of us actually know each other.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
The nice thing about BJJ is that it has a great built-in teaching mechanism. If you screw up, someone strangles you. And it keeps on happening until you stop screwing up. So even if you're new and you're getting smashed, it's still useful experience. Knowing what subs feel like and what exactly makes them effective is really helpful.

It was pretty cool the other day because I rolled with a new guy who has a wrestling background, just like me. I saw in him pretty much exactly how I was when I first started last year (not keeping my head up, getting caught in guillotines and chokes all the time). Even though I'm still terrible, it was a nice way of seeing how I've progressed.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

fawker posted:

Bocek's twitter said he was gonna be training with Marcelo Garcia. I guess youre learning under Marcelo then... what an opportunity!

CONTENT:

It's important to roll with people newer than you as well as people more experienced than you, because you shouldn't get used to your opponents always reacting the correct way. It teaches you the reasoning behind a lot of the basics.

Also, the way to practice a submission is try it against the newest guys first, then slightly better guys, then work your way up to doing it on your equals and betters. Basically, new guys are welcome because you're a useful tool in everyone else's training, and you make them feel better about themselves while you're at it, and they'll teach you some cool poo poo too.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Pooned posted:

Bohemian Nights, whenever you get your black-belt by Marcelo Garcia

Haha, no. If I even get a blue belt I'd (try and fail to) eat my white belt.

Yuns posted:

Are you in NYC permanently Bohemian Nights? I think there are a few of us in the greater NYC metro area: me, CortXbomb, fatherdog (if you include NJ), Holland Oats, Danny Cadaver and perhaps some others. Of course, none of us actually know each other.

I wish! But I'm in NYC at least until the end of May, then I start roadtripping around with my girlfriend until july. I've already met cXb, and I knew FD was close, but I didn't know there were so many other sasmma goons in the area!

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I'm up in the north jersey area from time to time. A few guys from my school just went to marcello's a week or so ago.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
A friend of mine just started at Marcelo's, Short bald headed purple belt, brazillian kid. Should have a Fight Sports South Beach patch on one of his gi's. kids a student of bjj, with a sick grip and spider guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

OrangeCrush posted:

A friend of mine just started at Marcelo's, Short bald headed purple belt, brazillian kid. Should have a Fight Sports South Beach patch on one of his gi's. kids a student of bjj, with a sick grip and spider guard.

If it is who I think it is, (a featherweight?) I have rolled with him several times!