Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why are we spoilering a well-known part of the Clan order of battle again? Someone remind me because I honestly can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Arglebargle III posted:

Why are we spoilering a well-known part of the Clan order of battle again? Someone remind me because I honestly can't remember.

Because REDACTED aren't well-known to Battletech noobs, and it will make the impact of their debut all the more terrifying to greenhorn players and hilarious to spectators.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
That's it exactly, yeah.

Still waiting on orders for Tech Platoon, but...

FY Lancelot spoils the surprise discovers hidden unit!

VVV Yeah, the Nova Cats had a pretty funny way of saying "gently caress it, we're joining the Draconis Combine". They also lost a coin flip (called 'edge').

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 6, 2011

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sheliak, a planet in Rasalhague, had no 'Mechs or militia, so they challenged the Ghost Bears to a game of football. It didn't end well.

I also recall the Clans losing in a game of soccer and a drinking contest during Operation Bulldog.

E: Oh, Divot's hosed. :ohdear:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's it exactly, yeah.

VVV Yeah, the Nova Cats had a pretty funny way of saying "gently caress it, we're joining the Draconis Combine". They also lost a coin flip (called 'edge').

Might be space Mexican cavalry, but I'm hoping for hidden Atlas.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Fare thee well, Divot! Your probable impending death will not be in vain.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, but the Clanner who made the coinflip call had an awesome justification for it.

"Imagine the glory, if I had won." :black101:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
And to be fair to her, I have had a coinflip come up 'edge' before. Hit the ground, started rolling.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yes but in your case you should have realized that the most likely explanation was that the Obsidian Order had an operative hiding nearby that used a magneto-gravitic field-quantizer to generate the result remotely.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I dunno if PTN will let me announce my very special discovery. I hope so, and I've already made alternate plans.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

bunnyofdoom posted:

I dunno if PTN will let me announce my very special discovery. I hope so, and I've already made alternate plans.

If you're about to say "Blake's Blood, I'm dan-cing with an Annihilator up here!" I am going to laugh so hard.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Lemme guess, that SRM Carrier has a twin. :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Mukaikubo posted:

If you're about to say "Blake's Blood, I'm dan-cing with an Annihilator up here!" I am going to laugh so hard.

Dannihi? What's Dannihi?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Dannihi? What's Dannihi?

No, I am making fun of the odd cadence/accent used for that line in Mechwarrior 4. :p

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Magni posted:

Lemme guess, that SRM Carrier has a twin. :v:

I'm expecting another group of SRM infantry in that building the SRM Carrier's hiding behind.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Mukaikubo posted:

No, I am making fun of the odd cadence/accent used for that line in Mechwarrior 4. :p
Mechwarrior 3 :colbert:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Zeroisanumber posted:

Might be space Mexican cavalry, but I'm hoping for hidden Atlas.

How do you hide something as big as an Atlas with all those :ese: running around with lucky dice? It's going to be something like a Death Commando Suicide Squad or a herd of corgies that have c4 strapped to them.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Xmas Future posted:

Mechwarrior 3 :colbert:

Numbers are hard.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Mukaikubo posted:

I figure this would be a fine place to canvass for interest: Would I be able to get five (maybe ten including backups) goons to play http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3966/the-succession-wars if I ran a game in this forum? It is pretty similar to Axis and Allies in some ways, only it is the Succession Wars. I should add that the rulebook is scanned and posted on that same site, since the publisher has been out of business since the first bush presidency.

I would commit murder for a chance to play Succession Wars with other people. My mother threw out my copy back when I was in high school (more years ago than I care to think about) and I've never been able to find another copy,

I call dibs on the Confederation.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Trast posted:

a herd of Mexican children that have c4 strapped to them.

Fixed that for you. Why waste dogs when you have perfectly good hostages? Besides, even Space Mexicans won't shoot their own children. :colbert:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sheliak, a planet in Rasalhague, had no 'Mechs or militia, so they challenged the Ghost Bears to a game of football. It didn't end well.

I guess, at that point you just hope you have a properly neutral ref, and they all get red-cards for doping.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
FFFFFFFFFFF Quote!=edit

first time for everything :smith:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Felime posted:

I guess, at that point you just hope you have a properly neutral ref, and they all get red-cards for doping.

Or that Captain Picard can swerve them by referring a rules dispute to an impartial mediator over in the other side of the Inner Sphere.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
I am really bad at remembering things. Anyhow TP fire at I4 again, cause gently caress those dudes.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Felime posted:

It wasn't the kind of football that has red cards, otherwise they'd have wanted a biased ref so they could dive like Spaniards and win on free kicks.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Thanks for the visuals, PTN.

Turns out I did pick up the correct usage from... whichever book(s) it was.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Best case scenario? The transport "pilot" survived the crash and hijacked the SRM carrier Tommy Vercetti style.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

I figure this would be a fine place to canvass for interest: Would I be able to get five (maybe ten including backups) goons to play http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3966/the-succession-wars if I ran a game in this forum? It is pretty similar to Axis and Allies in some ways, only it is the Succession Wars. I should add that the rulebook is scanned and posted on that same site, since the publisher has been out of business since the first bush presidency.

count me in, I'd be more than happy to give it a go!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

AJ_Impy posted:

Mechwarroior 2: Mercenaries did cutscene it.

As usual, the Atlas gives no poo poo. :black101:

Mukaikubo posted:

Sure, count me in.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

UberJew posted:

If Tukkayid was cheating then the clan invasion's use of superior strategic mobility to pick and choose short, decisive engagements most certainly was as well.
The reason Tukkayid was cheating is that Comstar picked up and moved the target cities, replacing them with fake shell buildigns that hid mechs and tanks. In a few early cases clusters rolled into undefended towns only to find the towns coming alive and tearing them apart.

WarLocke posted:

I don't remember this. :monocle:
It's a Battlecorps story about a Rasalhague planet. The Ghost Bears remember the rules of the game vaguely but have no tactics or strategy that would help so their bid is a team of <REDACTED> and they just hospitalise most of the defenders.

The defenders make a hail-mary play, score one touchdown to the Clan's FUKKEN LOTS and they are so impressed that they take the coach as a bondsman IIRC.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's it exactly, yeah.

But just think of the glory if they won!

There was also trial of possession which was supposed to be on a hand of poker which the Nova Cat would fold, but the Drac commander challenged him to a game of miniature golf on the planet's moon instead....

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 6, 2011

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
"Nice Clan Homeworld you have there - I challenged you to play Pong for it!"
"Because of my superior genes I will use a smaller paddle!:black101:"

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Sure, I'm game.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

anakha posted:

Sure, I'm game.

I'll play too

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Defiance Industries posted:

The Clans Homeworlds, where they manufacture all their gear, is a 13-month trip each way, and none of their plants produce as much as Hesperus or Irian, let alone Terra. It was really a matter of grinding them down.

Plus, while Clan troops are individually good, their leadership doesn't compare to the IS. The really great leaders are always House; the Clans don't really know anything about waging war on an IS scale at this point.

The enter philosphy and strange decision making of the clans reminds me of the WWII-era japanese in an number of ways - and the bizarre decisions with old pilots in hunchbacks could have been ripped straight from a japanese 'how do we manage our airforce' manual.

The delta is that the space americans don't have the actual americans rapid pace of innovation.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The enter philosphy and strange decision making of the clans reminds me of the WWII-era japanese in an number of ways
"Right, how do we win this war?"
<sensible suggestions>
"Okay! We're going to do the exact opposite of that!"

Yup, it works.

strikereternal
Nov 27, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

The reason Tukkayid was cheating is that Comstar picked up and moved the target cities, replacing them with fake shell buildigns that hid mechs and tanks. In a few early cases clusters rolled into undefended towns only to find the towns coming alive and tearing them apart.

I thought they only did that in the Jade Falcons' case. IIRC, the Wolves won, the Bears took one of their two targets, ComStar did the "fake city" thing with the Falcons, and the other four clans failed to reach their targets entirely.

strikereternal fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 6, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Cheating is cheating, no matter how often you do it.

strikereternal
Nov 27, 2006
The Falcons still got a draw (meaning credit for capturing one of their two locations, i.e. having set foot in the fake town -- they never touched the real ones) so I'm not sure you can even call it cheating.

And it's not like one of seven clans going all "boo hoo, they cheated guys!!" was going to have any effect on the overall outcome. Which was not how the Falcons reacted anyway.

But you said the Com Guards picked up and moved multiple cities; my correction was that they only moved one.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm in work, my memory for details is decreased by the shrill retards whining about their Xbox at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

The defenders make a hail-mary play, score one touchdown to the Clan's FUKKEN LOTS and they are so impressed that they take the coach as a bondsman IIRC.
But just think of the glory if they won!

Actually, they scored a field goal. End result was 84-3 or, as the natives refer to it, the three points of pride.

• Locked thread