Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I'm also for maindeck Crush in sealed. I've generally felt it'll find a target. Decent 23rd, easy to leave out but not disappointing to put in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I drafted! It didn't quite turn out the way I thought it would.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2nxpg

Of course I ended up being paired against another infect deck in round 1 and lost due to not drawing swamps in game 3. :(

Vivisection is a boss card though.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Built this to 3-1 finish:

Click here for the full 1059x657 image.

Built (greedy) BGw Infect splashing the two Divine Offerings. It had it problems: very top heavy curve with few good early drops, and maybe short one or two good removal for "this will go 4-0" deck.

Lost R3 to very solid feeling aggressive BW.

Probably the first MBS game where I've got to play with Flesh-Eater Imp properly. What a goddamn monster. I think half of my match wins ultimately came from various types of Imp beats. One I actually had to risk and play against unknown opponent hand card. I figured I'm safe against Galvanic Blast if I don't play like a fool, but had to bet on no Disperse or Burn the Impure he would've had mana for. But as he had been Slicing essentially irrelevant card the turn before, I figured he was desperate for drawing something and didn't have good hand at least at that point. (Edit: and I losing on the ground in two turns or so, figured I try or lose)

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 25, 2011

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

MrBling posted:

I drafted! It didn't quite turn out the way I thought it would.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2nxpg

Of course I ended up being paired against another infect deck in round 1 and lost due to not drawing swamps in game 3. :(

Vivisection is a boss card though.

P1p1 Obv bomb. Expect to wheel Vivisection
p1p2 Good pick in a pack full of green gifts- this pack is a big signal pack. I almost think Rotwolf as easier-to-splash is a stronger pick. If you wheel plaguemaw beast, don't be afraid to pick up non-infect green dudes to feed it in pack 2 and 3. Without it, think about hedging black infect for safety.
P1p3 Removal is removal but going rainbow first 3 picks is a little tough. Lead the Stampede is a consideration in a dude heavy deck with possible Plaguemaw beast late?
P1P4 3rd infect dude by pack 4 is strong, but open blue as such makes me feel that Quicksilver geyser as a strong trick is a smart play.
P1P5 Picking up VE is fine, but makes you depend on the Plaguemaw wheel. Steel Sabotage is a fine trick and Flensermite is essentially the pick you'll want if Plaguemaw doesn't wheel.
P1P7 Serum Raker is fine with as much blue that is coming but you've skimped blue downstream enough that it'll not be a strong pick for this point. I like Pistus Strike here for a sideboard if you hate Flensermite as a card.
P1P8 Getting the blues
P1P9 Getting a second Vivisection is not a bad selection at this point
P1P10 tough pack, fade from green nows.
P1P11 Good signal choice
P1P12 Wow
P1P13 Sad Pack
P1P14 People finally figured out that Tine Shrike is a huge trap

P2p1 Strong black signal, Steady Progress/Flight Spellbomb wheel? Works great with proliferate things.
P2p2 I totally get Cystbearer over Thrummingbird, but you're hedging on other drafters being nice to you.
P2P3 Late Blackcleave goblin wheel?
4-8 they were nice to you
p2p9 A card, sure, but Steady Progress is a consideration if you had taken Trigon
-
P2P13 Thresher just to "signal"

P3P1 Are you going three color? I like TJF just for the dudepower
-
P3P8 Take the dinosaur out of someones hand
P3P9 Wing Puncture is much more of a card

What deck did you build? G/U could have been a choice there.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I ended up GB splashing Vivisection and the mind control thing.

Played all the black and all the green barring ezuri's archers and blunt the assault.

Had Acc.Shield, Nihil Spellbomb, strider harness and the replica as my artifacts.

I considering going in with some more blue but it didn't quite seem strong enough.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
ugh I hate this format, now I remember why I stopped playing SOM drafts - I miss ROE

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Here's pretty much what I ended up playing, at the last second swapping out a copper carapace and ichorclaw myr (thought it was the infect mana tapper for some reason) for bonds of quicksilver and stoic rebuttal. So how badly did I gently caress up? Ended up 1-2 with a bye, thought at least it felt good to beat a guy who tabled massacre worm.

I wanted to play the Flamefiend, but I don't think I could justify it with that support. Looking at it now, I guess I could've swapped out the blue for red against this green/black infect deck I played.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 26, 2011

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

3rd time today I've lost the first match of a draft by mull to <4 on game 3. I want to scream.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Kalli posted:

Here's pretty much what I ended up playing, at the last second swapping out a copper carapace and ichorclaw myr (thought it was the infect mana tapper for some reason) for bonds of quicksilver and stoic rebuttal. So how badly did I gently caress up? Ended up 1-2 with a bye, thought at least it felt good to beat a guy who tabled massacre worm.

I wanted to play the Flamefiend, but I don't think I could justify it with that support. Looking at it now, I guess I could've swapped out the blue for red against this green/black infect deck I played.

I think I would have been tempted to go RW over UW. There's not much there beyond Flamefiend, Turn to Slag, and couple of artifacts, but those two colored cards are pretty solid. Weakness of the UW option basically is that you have very little removal to show.

1 Glint Hawk
1 Leonin Skyhunter
1 Leaden Myr
1 Kemba's Skyguard
1 Spin Engine
1 Vulshok Replica
1 Gore Vassal
1 Peace Strider
1 Ghalma's Warden
2 Razor Hippogriff
1 Saberclaw Golem
1 Kuldotha Flamefiend
1 Thopter Assembly
1 Chimeric Mass
--
15 creatures

1 Origin Spellbomb
1 Copper Carapace
1 Tumble Magnet
1 Viridian Claw
1 Trigon of Rage
1 Ichor Wellspring
1 Divine Offering
1 Turn to Slag
--
8 other spells

10 Plains
7 Mountain
--
17 land

Ichor Wellspring is pretty nice here, with plenty of ways to exploit it (double Hippogriff, Glint Hawk, Flamefiend).

Splashing Sylvok Replica mana out of Sphere and single Forest could be one option. Would ditch Gore Vassal then.

Triple Oculus really would have wanted some Mortarpod company!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Why is it that everyone else seems to open Strata Scythes but me?

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

We ended in a tie because we both could constantly just cast Black Sun's Zeniths (those are our hands in the center, once we decided it was over).

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Kalli posted:

a guy who tabled massacre worm.

Sorry, what?

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Lets Pickle posted:

Sorry, what?

I'm guessing he thinks that 'tabled' means played, i.e. put onto the table? I can't imagine a Massacre Wurm could ever make it past first pick.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, it was sealed, and I'm not sure where I picked it up, but it was how we used to describe a creature coming in and not being immediately eliminated back when I played in junior high like seventeen years ago.

Picked up MTGO around when ROE was out thanks to long, boring on calls, so I am very slowly learning how to not suck.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
Fangren marauder is my new favorite card. It's disgusting against non-infect and shuts down most infect creatures. Getting two of them on the battlefield had me giggling my butt off when I was casting shatters and slice in twain. He goes well with spellbombs and ichor wellspring if you have someway to sacrifice artifacts. I also got to play ferrovore for the first time with him.

Has Sphere of the Suns been pretty underwhelming for anyone else. I seem to always draft it thinking it's going to be alright and find i rarely end up tapping it because I have land or myr open. It's pretty decent for activating metalcraft, I guess, but I think I'm going to stop picking them.

DoctorJones fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 1, 2011

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

DoctorJones posted:

Fangren marauder is my new favorite card. It's disgusting against non-infect and shuts down most infect creatures. Getting two of them on the battlefield had me giggling my butt off when I was casting shatters and slice in twain. He goes well with spellbombs and ichor wellspring if you have someway to sacrifice artifacts. I also got to play ferrovore for the first time with him.
Agreed. This card is insane.

quote:

Has Sphere of the Suns been pretty underwhelming for anyone else. I seem to always draft it thinking it's going to be alright and find i rarely end up tapping it because I have land or myr open. It's pretty decent for activating metalcraft, I guess, but I think I'm going to stop picking them.
It's better to think of it as mana fixing as opposed to mana acceleration. And as far as fixing goes, it's pretty slow and has little upside, so you should try to avoid playing it when possible, in my opinion. It's definitely no mana myr.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Sphere of suns is for when you're drafting the 3 or 4 colour monstrosity, not for your average two colour deck.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

MrBling posted:

Sphere of suns is for when you're drafting the 3 or 4 colour monstrosity, not for your average two colour deck.

But because it is only in the 1st pack, you would either have to

A- pick it up REAL late after you get 3 or 4 colored-spell bombs

B- know that you'll be drafting that deck way before you actually see your 3rd or 4th color, all going "gently caress it, my Scars picks will be just drafting the best card"

neither of which says that you'll be drafting it early. I'd rather pick it up on the wheel than anything.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Pretty disappointed to 0-1 out of 8-4 with this:

Though, G1 I really have no one to blame. I let opponent (apparently the second BG Infect of the table) put out near-lethal attack with Untamed Might, and couple of turns later he produces Plaguemaw Beast to proliferate the remaining few points. Deserved loss there.

G2 I just flood out. Happens.

Gonna try out the exciting 4-pack sealed in Thursday Night Magic Online next!

Edit: Hahah, don't care how I do in the rest of the games, but this made the 4-pack worth it: http://i56.tinypic.com/hx3xtv.jpg

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 3, 2011

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
So what are people's thoughts on the new best archetypes in MSS draft?

It seems like white went from being one of the best colors to one of the worst, as you're unlikely to good picks for it in the first pack. The bombs all require heavy color commitment, and a lot of the Besieged white creatures are either underwhelming and/or infect, and since you won't get white infect creatures in pack 2 or 3, it's a pretty impossible format. I've seen RW tokens be okay, but only in sealed.

BG infect is obvious, and it's gotten a hell of a lot stronger and more playable. Big infect dudes totally ruin the anti-infect plan (trade with a lot of 1 or 2 toughness dudes then lay out a fatty and win). The black removal has gotten even better, so it seems like an obvious, if not overdrafted, choice, and I've found myself less likely to get completely screwed out of infect. The addition of more pump spells makes it even more scary.

Blue picked up a number of cool cards, but I think Anatomist is the one that really shines the most. I have won several matches solely off the back of that card, and it's easily first pick quality.

Red is very strong, as it gained some more removal. Kuldotha Flamefiend is absolutely insane no matter how you use it - wipe their board, kill their fatty, or just do a respectable 4 to the dome.

Metalcraft anything seems tough to draft right now. Maybe this is just my perception, but the quality of artifacts seems to have gone way down in this set, and there are few cards in the set that are worth achieving metalcraft for in the first plus. Top that off with even more removal, and you've made it even more fragile. It seems like you can still make decks with metalcraft dudes, but making decks that are only good if you hit metalcraft is a losing proposition.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Blue has gained a ton of value. Corrupted Conscious and Anatomist are first quality pick uncommon bombs. Serum raker, steel sabotage and vivisection are excellent commons and I constantly see them going way later then they should. Quicksilver Geyser and Occulus are almost always playable.

I try to stay away from BG infect because it tends to be an overdrafted trap. Yesterday I opened a Phryexian Crusader and wasted my next 2 picks on rot wolfs in otherwise mediocre packs. Then I got passed flamefiend followed by into the core and decided infect was not me. Still ended up playing crusader who held his own as the only infect creature in the deck.

I think the overall mbs power level for colored commons and uncommons goes blue>red>black>green>white

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

White went down in overall power in the same way that metalcraft went down in overall power; one less pack of origin spellbombs and glint hawk idols. Instead you have heavy white commits and very mediocre colored creatures like 5 mana 3/4s and 2/2 fliers for 2 and 1 mana "metalcraft nactls". On the other hand, drafting white infect and pairing it with green or black is very possible and lets you pick up late combat tricks in pack 2 and 3 like Seize the Initiative; however you have to also prioritize equipment because one power and one toughness, respectively, is not that workable.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I'm still a bit careful about blue in MSS draft, even when it got a big boost of power with MBS. The drop of quality with Scars packs is pretty severe, so you either pick up the power from MBS or make sure as hell you get good secondary (or primary!) colour or power from artifacts later.

I mean, the first 3-0 I managed in MBS draft in MTGO was with UW, and the actual blue or practically blue requiring cards from different packs I ended up playing were:
MBS: Vedalken Anatomist, Corrupted Conscience, Gust-Skimmer, Serum Raker, Gust-Skimmer, Serum Raker, Steel Sabotage, Vivisection
SOM1: Volition Reins, Riddlesmith
SOM2: Sky-Eel School, Plated Seastrider

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
Dinosaurs has been my favorite. With the addition of Fangren Marauder (see above), it tends to work out really well. I've gone GR and GB. Both red and black seem to have enough removal to allow you to get your ramp going to get your bombs out. With red and green there's a lot of artifact removal (creeping corrosion, sylvok replica, acid web spider, crush, shatter) to combo with Fangren Maurader. Infect opponents can be tricky, but scooping a blightwidow or tangle angler can help tremendously.

DoctorJones fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 4, 2011

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I really like UG good stuff. Just fliers and fat backed by card advantage.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I haven't played Magic in probably ten or more years, but my friends were getting into it and I decided I'd give it a whirl, so I showed up to a local stores FNM and did a draft. I finished 4-4-1, I should have finished 5-3-1 but I forgot to attack with everything my last game I lost :sweatdrop: Still, fourth place out of ten! I can't tell you guys what else I could have drawn I guess, since I don't know the set very well, but I can at least show you what I built and see if I made any colossal errors or anything. I played U/B infest / artifacts.

1 Myr Propagator
1 Corpse Cur
1 Neurok Replica
1 Kuldotha Forgemaster
1 Perilous Myr
1 Phyrexian Digester
1 Plague Myr
1 Phyrexian Juggernaut
1 Leaden Myr
1 Treasure Mage
1 Consecrated Sphinx (holy crap this thing was awesome)
1 Oculus
1 Trinket Mage
1 Thrumming Bird
1 Necrogen Scudder
1 Flesh-Eater Imp
1 Painsmith
--

17 Creatures

1 Strider Harness
1 Accorder's Shield
1 Trigon of Rage
1 Halt Order (not as useful as I'd hoped)
1 Steel Sabotage
1 Spread the Sickness
1 Morbid Plunder
1 Flesh Alergy
--

8 Other Spells

8 Island
7 Swamp
--

15 Land

My sideboard was a second Flesh Allergy, Relic Putresence, Horrifying Revelation, Dross Hopper, 2 Flensermites in Black. Stoic Rebuttal, Bonds of Quicksilver, and Vault Skyward in Blue. Ogre Resister, Ferrovore, and Bloodshot Trainee in Red, and Flight Spellbomb, Origin Spellbomb, Golden Urn, and Saberclaw golem in artifact.

I was really hoping to draw some equipment to use that Trainee. I didn't get passed anything useful in green at all. I didn't get as much infect as I thought I would after the first pack. Should I have built the deck differently, were any of these picks goofy as hell in limited? I feel like those Flensermites were a trap. I was hoping to get some equipment to put on them but the equipment didn't come back around, and I took them out of my main deck after my first game which I lost quite badly.

Yay, that was a lot of fun. I'm tempted to sign up for a MTGO account so I can do it again tonight :3

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 5, 2011

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Speaking of Thopter Assembly....this is an epic game of magic right here.

This is what it looks like right before your opponent draws 6 cards and gains 30 life. After he draws down to 12 cards I morbid plunder and manage to stall the game out while continues to draw off of viridian revel, and I bonds of quicksilver 2 of his fatties. The goal is to mill him out. The last turn I'm starting at an alpha tyrannax and engulfing slagwurn, 2 life and no creatures on the board. I rip my 2nd morbid plunder, put 2 chump blockers on the board and stall for another turn as he draws the last card of his library.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Looks like there was bunch of new stats with the lates MTGO personal summary:

Top 10 first pick common cards chosen by 8-4 SOM Block Draft winners
1. Burn the Impure
2. Divine Offering
3. Spread the Sickness
4. Blightwidow
5. Leonin Skyhunter
6. Ichor Wellspring
7. Rot Wolf
8. Blisterstick Shaman
9. Fangren Marauder
10. Virulent Wound

Top three is pretty much usual suspects.

Leonin Skyhunter is surprisingly high.

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

Lunael posted:

Top 10 first pick common cards

How does this work? Does it only count if the winner actually first picks a common or is it the first common they pick (maybe in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pack?)

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

augustob posted:

How does this work? Does it only count if the winner actually first picks a common or is it the first common they pick (maybe in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pack?)

My understanding is that it is as it says, first pick. Previously it was just generally "first pick cards", which meant power uncommons making appearance too. Or an odd rare even.

That would honestly be a bit more interesting info even here. Ten commons out of MBS is 1/6 of all the commons already.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Since Besieged came out, I've been in eight drafts and haven't had a winning record. The only time I went 2-1 was because of a Bye. It's horribly demoralizing at this point, and when you add in my less-than-stellar performance at Game Day I'm ready to scream.

I know it's variance, I should analyze my drafting more, etc. and I will but right now I'm just going to steam for a bit.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Lunael posted:

Looks like there was bunch of new stats with the lates MTGO personal summary:

Top 10 first pick common cards chosen by 8-4 SOM Block Draft winners
1. Burn the Impure
2. Divine Offering
3. Spread the Sickness
4. Blightwidow
5. Leonin Skyhunter
6. Ichor Wellspring
7. Rot Wolf
8. Blisterstick Shaman
9. Fangren Marauder
10. Virulent Wound

Top three is pretty much usual suspects.

Leonin Skyhunter is surprisingly high.

Personally I'm going :monocle: at Ichor Wellspring. I realize it fits in a bunch of decks, I just didn't think it was remotely first pick quality.

The format is really new, though, I think those ranking are still going to end up moving around a lot.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Ashenai posted:

Personally I'm going :monocle: at Ichor Wellspring. I realize it fits in a bunch of decks, I just didn't think it was remotely first pick quality.

The format is really new, though, I think those ranking are still going to end up moving around a lot.

You have to keep in mind that the vast majority of MBS boosters people will be picking the rare or uncommon because they're just so powerful, so saying ichor wellspring is number 6 on the list of commons first picked probably just meant that some boosters are really underwhelming. Or someone really wants the furnace celebration deck.

I would like to see an overall first pick list though, just to see if it supports what Matt Nass and others have been saying that the power level of the rares in this set is higher than usual.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

MrBling posted:

You have to keep in mind that the vast majority of MBS boosters people will be picking the rare or uncommon because they're just so powerful, so saying ichor wellspring is number 6 on the list of commons first picked probably just meant that some boosters are really underwhelming. Or someone really wants the furnace celebration deck.

But it also means there are apparently only 5 commons that are generally worth picking over Ichor Wellspring. It means if you see a Blisterstick or a Fangren Marauder and an Ichor Wellspring in the pack, and no awesome rares or uncommons, you'll probably do better picking the Wellspring. Personally, I would have picked the other two cards without even thinking about it (or even registering the Wellspring as a legit option), but I guess I'll re-evaluate.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The wellspring is a good early pick because it can go in anything. Blisterstick and the Marauder both want to fit in certain decks. At my LGS I personally would rather grab the Marauder and wait for a later wellspring, but that is mostly because dinos are not super popular in my area so I don't feel like I'd be getting all my picks taken. But on MTGO I would probably go wellspring and see what would come of it.

But again, this is assuming your rare is something like Magnetic Mine, and your uncommons are things like Gruesome Encore.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Ichor Wellspring + Glint Hawk = happiness.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Patrick Chapin said he takes Ichor Wellspring over every other common in the set and over almost every rare/uncommon. He'd take Wellspring over Burn the Impure, over Phyrexian Vatmother, over Spread the Sickness, maybe over even Black Sun's Zenith or Thopter Assembly.

And this isn't first pick. He literally means even if he's in the color already, he would take Ichor Wellspring over those cards 100% of the time, because Ichor Wellspring is "that powerful." He compared it to Cube, where you take Ancestral Recall first pick no matter what else you got, and said Ichor Wellspring for 1 more mana is as powerful as Ancestral Recall most of the time you play it.

EDIT: Not saying I agree with him, but this is what Chapin thinks of the card. He made a bet with a bunch of other pros that within a month, they'd all agree with him that Wellspring went from their opinion of a 5-7th pick card to a 1-3 pick card, and he said that by the end of the day all of them agreed it was a 1-3 pick card already.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
The success of Ichor Wellspring makes me wonder if people were completely wrong about metalcraft-type decks getting worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Ichor Wellspring is great from a design point of view as well because it is so simple and still requires interaction to get CA from it.