Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Ingram posted:

What do you do to buy from the UK Kindle store? I'm assuming you're a fellow Aussie?

Just create a new amazon account with a fake UK address and using a UK web proxy. Buy it, download it using the Kindle PC application and then use something like Skindle to break the DRM and you can chuck it on your kindle no problems at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are the Kindle leather covers really as brightly colored as they look on the website? In particular, the blue / green / orange.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

smackfu posted:

Are the Kindle leather covers really as brightly colored as they look on the website? In particular, the blue / green / orange.
I had a tough time getting the lighting to look right, but the comparison with the Netflix envelope should help. They aren't shockingly bright, but they aren't dull either.

Red and green.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

smackfu posted:

Orange is a tad darker than displayed, but not gaudy at all. After seeing the brown and black in person, I took a chance on orange, and now I love it. Especially since using a color like orange is a great way to pick out the device out of a crowd of kindles (I hang out with people with tons of kindles, shutup).

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

tendrilsfor20 posted:

So I just got a nook color, it reads PDFs just fine, but is there any way (in Adobe or the Nook) to take a screen shot (of the cover of the PDF) and use it as the visual preview, or edit the displayed name of the PDF?

Also, has anyone found or written a comprehensive list of shortcuts and cool tips not in the owner's manual (not rooting it into an Android tablet, but keeping it's nookness)

Not in those two, but if you manage the PDFs / eBooks in Calibre, you can have Calibre set the cover to the front page and send it back to the device.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Sure Random House, I love paying twice as much for the Kindle version as the hardcover on a book that's loving 8 years old. thanks

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think we can probably thank the iPad for the Random House pricing. Since they have to give the house of Steve 30% of the purchase price and they aren't allowed to sell them for any cheaper on any other store per the App Store rules, the price goes up and everyone gets hosed.

Thanks Apple!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

I think we can probably thank the iPad for the Random House pricing. Since they have to give the house of Steve 30% of the purchase price and they aren't allowed to sell them for any cheaper on any other store per the App Store rules, the price goes up and everyone gets hosed.

Thanks Apple!

No, remember Apple are the good guys. Maybe you are thinking of Micro$oft???

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

bull3964 posted:

Thanks Apple!

Isn't Amazon also a 70-30 split?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

GigaPeon posted:

it is now, only after it was forced on them.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GigaPeon posted:

Yeah, but before the agency model, Amazon was able to price it at whatever they wanted (usually $9.99) after paying for it.

quote:

On January 27, Apple unveiled the iPad, a tablet-like computing device that will come bundled with the iBookstore, the company's response to the increasing popularity of e-books.

Unlike Amazon, which buys e-books from publishers at around $15 and subsidizes them to sell copies for $9.99, Apple said that it will adopt the agency model, which allows the publisher to set the prices for e-books while Apple keeps 30 percent of the sales (as with its App Store).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/188627/third_major_publisher_dumps_amazons_999_ebooks_model.html

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GigaPeon posted:

Apple is demanding that if you sell something on ios apps at all you have to give them a 30% cut before you get any money and you can't change the price to be higher on there.

That's why the Sony Reader app got blocked from the app store, since Sony wouldn't give Apple 30% of their revenue on purchases of books to be used in it. Amazon and B&N are fighting Apple on this and haven't given in to it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks for the tips on the Kindle case colors. It looks like Amazon isn't even selling the unlighted one now. I really would prefer not to spend $60 for a case for a $140 thing. None of the 3rd party cases use the fancy hinges, right?

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Leather-Display-Latest-Generation/dp/B003DZ163E/ref=/ref=cm_cd_f_pb_t

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

smackfu posted:

Thanks for the tips on the Kindle case colors. It looks like Amazon isn't even selling the unlighted one now. I really would prefer not to spend $60 for a case for a $140 thing. None of the 3rd party cases use the fancy hinges, right?

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Leather-Display-Latest-Generation/dp/B003DZ163E/ref=/ref=cm_cd_f_pb_t

I bought my Kindle a few weeks ago, and the lighted case was all I could find at the time. (Visiting the States from Canada.) I decided 'what the hell' and picked it up anyhow, and I'm really happy that I did. There are a few comfy spots in my house for reading that aren't as well lit as I thought, and the light works great for them. Also, you never notice its there when you're not using it. My $0.02.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ChetReckless posted:

I bought my Kindle a few weeks ago, and the lighted case was all I could find at the time. (Visiting the States from Canada.) I decided 'what the hell' and picked it up anyhow, and I'm really happy that I did. There are a few comfy spots in my house for reading that aren't as well lit as I thought, and the light works great for them. Also, you never notice its there when you're not using it. My $0.02.

I'm with you. It is so nice to be able to decide "I need some more light" and just slide out the tiny light that is built in, instead of having to turn on a lamp or grab an external book light that runs on its own batteries.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I don't know if this has been posted, but christ some people don't get the age we live in:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/03/boycott-harpercollins-publisher-limits-library-e-book-lending/71821/

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

golgo13sf posted:

I don't know if this has been posted, but christ some people don't get the age we live in:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/03/boycott-harpercollins-publisher-limits-library-e-book-lending/71821/

Harper Collins ebooks are really well done though, at least the ones I've read, so that's a plus for them.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So on the NOOKcolor, is there no way to add a book to the front page that isn't purchased from B&N and downloaded through your nook? I bought a 99¢ book from B&N.com on their website, downloaded it to my PC and transferred it to the NOOK, and now it only shows up in My Files, not as an eBook with cover and all.

It reads fine, but even in Calibre there doesn't seem to be a simple way to get at a list of my files to rename them or anything while they are on the nook.

B&N really needs to release an iTunes for the NOOK, post-haste.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

golgo13sf posted:

Bleh, between them and Penguin Publishing, it just makes me angry they pull this poo poo.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Murodese posted:

This is why I have absolutely no sympathy for publishers being ruined:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_i=468294

http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Besieged-Book-Chaoswar-Saga/dp/0061468398/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299142108&sr=8-1

A US kindle version that costs 300% of a hardcover version? Nice.

drat, I didn't realize this was out this month.

And now I can't find an ebook store that a) serves the UK and b) actually sells it as an ePub.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

ChrisAsmadi posted:

And now I can't find an ebook store that a) serves the UK and b) actually sells it as an ePub.

You can buy the Amazon one via Kindle for PC, strip the DRM, and convert it to an epub.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

As above.

It's really good too, big awesome spoilers though so don't google too much :3:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I just got a Nook Color and rooted it, but as this is my first foray into Android, I'm having a hard time getting things going... I have several apps installed, and I'm getting the hang of SoftKeys and all that, but I want the thing to default to my App page and not require me to go into the Launcher, then go to Extras to see my ugly plain white menu with all my poo poo there... how can I convert this thing so it mainly sits on an app-loader multi-page sorta layout, like you see on phones? Didn't see a Nook Color specific thread (even though I kinda feel like it's jacked out enough to warrant one) so does anyone have any handy links to show me how to start hacking this thing's Gibson?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Fuzz posted:

I just got a Nook Color and rooted it, but as this is my first foray into Android, I'm having a hard time getting things going... I have several apps installed, and I'm getting the hang of SoftKeys and all that, but I want the thing to default to my App page and not require me to go into the Launcher, then go to Extras to see my ugly plain white menu with all my poo poo there... how can I convert this thing so it mainly sits on an app-loader multi-page sorta layout, like you see on phones? Didn't see a Nook Color specific thread (even though I kinda feel like it's jacked out enough to warrant one) so does anyone have any handy links to show me how to start hacking this thing's Gibson?

Install a third party launcher like ADWLauncher from the market. It'll give you a nice home screen that you can customize with icons/widgets/etc.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kazy posted:

Install a third party launcher like ADWLauncher from the market. It'll give you a nice home screen that you can customize with icons/widgets/etc.

Cool, screwing with it now. I've also got it working as my default Home button, but now when I try to doubleclick the Home button, SoftKeys doesn't come up anymore. I tried messing around with the settings in both SoftKeys and Home Switcher, but nothing. This is with GO Launcher, is ADWLauncher better?

I gotta say, this thing is loving amazing, though.

EDIT: Another issue: This GO Launcher has removed the Menu button on the bottom. While I don't really need it sine all the functions can be accessed through shortcuts, looks like, it was still handy to have for the back button and such... any way to restore that?

EDIT2: Also is there a good Media Player app that can play avis and mpegs? Something that won't choke trying to run on this thing.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 5, 2011

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Fuzz posted:

Cool, screwing with it now. I've also got it working as my default Home button, but now when I try to doubleclick the Home button, SoftKeys doesn't come up anymore. I tried messing around with the settings in both SoftKeys and Home Switcher, but nothing. This is with GO Launcher, is ADWLauncher better?

I gotta say, this thing is loving amazing, though.

EDIT: Another issue: This GO Launcher has removed the Menu button on the bottom. While I don't really need it sine all the functions can be accessed through shortcuts, looks like, it was still handy to have for the back button and such... any way to restore that?

EDIT2: Also is there a good Media Player app that can play avis and mpegs? Something that won't choke trying to run on this thing.

You need softkeys as the default "press home" action, but you can set what it uses as the launcher in its settings. I know in ADW you can swipe up to show/hide the status bar with the back/menu button. For a media player, I just use this handbrake setting and something like Rock Player for unconverted videos. This stuff is probably better off in the tablet thread, though.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

If anyone here is a Jose Saramago fan or have seen/read Blindness and want to dip into his other works, I just found out that there's a collection of all his novels going around for just under $20 in the Sony store and Amazon. It's a pretty drat amazing deal from one of the best contemporary authors. RIP Saramago :(

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

hope and vaseline posted:

If anyone here is a Jose Saramago fan or have seen/read Blindness and want to dip into his other works, I just found out that there's a collection of all his novels going around for just under $20 in the Sony store and Amazon. It's a pretty drat amazing deal from one of the best contemporary authors. RIP Saramago :(

Wow, that is a great deal.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

If anyone here is a Jose Saramago fan

Hitler posted:

This title is not available for customers from your location in:
Europe

:argh: Ahahhahahha! gently caress yoooouuuuuuu Amazon! :argh:

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones

can I load the Sony version onto a Nook Classic? I'd get it straight from B&N but their version is $8 more

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA posted:

can I load the Sony version onto a Nook Classic? I'd get it straight from B&N but their version is $8 more

You should be able to. Sony just uses epub with straight adobe DRM. The wost case is you'll have to install Sony's software to transfer it to the nook.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones
It worked. Install the sony software, download the book, find it in the directory (my documents/my books/reader library), load in adobe digital editions and transfer to nook.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Quick review on the new Otterbox Kindle3 case.

Overall, it seems pretty solid. While I haven't spiked my Kindle off of concrete like I've seen some guys do with their Otterbox iphone cases, it feels like I have nothing to worry about and can throw this in whatever bag it needs to go in.

Getting it installed was kind of a pain. Had to work the rubber properly so that it went underneath the plastic shell portion. Had some difficulties with the screen protector as well, mainly because I hosed it up several times. Finally settled an M-edge one from Best Buy.

It takes a slight bit more effort to hit the page turn buttons, but not enough that it really disturbs me. All of the other buttons on the keypad are still completely functional.

I like it because it is 100% practical and utilitarian, and doesn't pretend to be a book like the typical Kindle covers.

SumYungGai
Aug 5, 2000

I have had a first gen Kindle DX for a while now. I have only bought a handful of books as I mainly use it for reading material from Project Gutenberg. I recently added some books to my kindle that are protected by copyright. I own physical copies of these books, but not electronic copies.

Will Amazon detect these books when I turn wi-fi back on? Does Amazon consider this to be :filez:? Does SA? I'll edit out this post if this is frowned upon. I'm just curious if Amazon blocks this sort of thing.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

SumYungGai posted:

Will Amazon detect these books when I turn wi-fi back on? Does Amazon consider this to be :filez:? Does SA? I'll edit out this post if this is frowned upon. I'm just curious if Amazon blocks this sort of thing.

No, the only difference is that the books won't get stored on Amazon's servers. It'd be a huge clusterfuck if Amazon decided to take action against people putting their own books on the Kindle.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

SumYungGai posted:

I have had a first gen Kindle DX for a while now. I have only bought a handful of books as I mainly use it for reading material from Project Gutenberg. I recently added some books to my kindle that are protected by copyright. I own physical copies of these books, but not electronic copies.

Legally, those are very much :filez:. Owning a book in one format does not entitle you to free copies in all future formats.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

maxnmona posted:

Legally, those are very much :filez:. Owning a book in one format does not entitle you to free copies in all future formats.

Tangentially, is breaking the DRM of an eBook in order to use it on another device considered legal under the DMCA? I think it'd be part of some "interoperability" clause, and I'm in a situation where I've got some books tied up on a Sony Library account but no longer have a Sony Reader.

Regardless, Amazon has no way of knowing whether the books you put on a Kindle are licensed to you or not. There are a few independent eBook stores out there that just give you a non-DRMed file.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Vertigus posted:

No, the only difference is that the books won't get stored on Amazon's servers. It'd be a huge clusterfuck if Amazon decided to take action against people putting their own books on the Kindle.

They have no way of detecting :filez: on the Kindle anyways. The 1984 thing (which was blown way out of proportion) was them using the refund system. They weren't actually searching Kindles.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Vertigus posted:

Tangentially, is breaking the DRM of an eBook in order to use it on another device considered legal under the DMCA?

I don't think anything is considered legal under the DMCA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LooseChanj posted:

I don't think anything is considered legal under the DMCA.

Well the Library of Congress can make things legal under it. There's probably some exception in certain circumstance already and yadda yadda.

Anyway I don't think the cops are going to arrest you for putting pirated ebooks on your device and the manufacturers never seem to do anything to stop it but it's not kosher to talk about here right?