Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Aphrodite posted:

3 red lights on the 360 was actually a catch-all too. Only the others were more specific.

Hence why I said a guess. You can usually figure it out because it's the most dominant issue (overheating), but the way I phrased it was misleading sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:

RagnarokAngel posted:

YLOD is a catch-all error, it's not like 360 where you can guess at it based on how many lights you get. So yeah you gotta call sony sorry.

Yeah, its probably best to just buy a brand new console at this point.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Found this picture on Engadget. Anyone know how to stop it?

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I do see a trend in this thread of things popping back up, so yeah, this is basically you playing guinea pig to Netflix's experiments on UI and such. You are part of a pool of PS3 users that are testing out how things look and work. It's mean to basically echo the feeling of you flipping through your guide while watching TV channels -- basically constant stimulation.

It's limited to a very, very small pool of Netflix users, so... congrats?

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

redreader posted:

Go's can let you play with your dualshock 3 somehow, I'm not sure how.

Bluetooth. It's nice, but playing off a tiny screen with mapped controls is a poor substitute for proper dual analogs.

[edit[ Dammit, I meant to edit this into the last post...

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Still can't figure out what's wrong with this PS3. I'll probably conceded defeat and sell it for parts.

Oh well, nothing gained, nothing lost.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
:siren: PSN will be down on Wednesday for most of the day. :siren:

quote:

Note: When you log into the PlayStation Network, a message may appear which states, "the PlayStation Network has been suspended".  This does not mean that your account has been suspended; it simply means the PlayStation Network has been taken offline.  Please wait until the maintenance window has passed before attempting to connect to the PlayStation Network again.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

This is going to be funny for anyone with homebrew that hasn't been banned and doesn't know about this.

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:
Maybe they should use a better message.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

rndm posted:

Maybe they should use a better message.

That's what I was thinking as well. You would think while Sony was typing up this response to the community, they would have said "hmmm, instead of having to clarify this on our site, why don't we just make the message perfectly clear to begin with?"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

That's what I was thinking as well. You would think while Sony was typing up this response to the community, they would have said "hmmm, instead of having to clarify this on our site, why don't we just make the message perfectly clear to begin with?"

Probably 2 different teams who have no timely way to contact each other about this, if my experience with corporate is anything to go off of.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Personally, I would have made it even more vague (somehow); if you're running homebrew it's your own loving fault if you're led to believe you've been kicked off of PSN.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Reminder: PSN is going down at 11 am EST for about 11 hours.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
If PSN is down, can I still download patches if I put in a new game?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Szmitten posted:

You can't sign into the PSN at all, so no.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

You can't sign into the PSN at all, so no.

Okay, would playing Bioshock before getting patched cause any problems?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Szmitten posted:

Okay, would playing Bioshock before getting patched cause any problems?

I never heard of any game breaking bugs and a new patch won't invalidate your save later.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Szmitten posted:

Yes you can. I'm downloading the new update for Modern Warfare 2 right now.

from Playstation twitter:

quote:

PSN will undergo maintenance until 5pm Pac. This will affect the Store & Account Mgmt, though gameplay should be unaffected

Netflix doesn't work either.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 9, 2011

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yes, more use of sirens.

:siren: Online storage of game saves confirmed for Playstation Plus subscribers :siren:

:siren: Also, firmware 3.60 confirmed for tomorrow :siren: to add in the option of online saving and "other minor features".

The limits for online storage:
* 150MB of total storage per PSN account
* Maximum of 1000 save files supported
* Previously saved data can be restored once per 24 hour period

Locked saved can be uploaded as well. :hellyeah:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Say hello to your newest Plus subscriber, Sony!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah, that's a loving killer feature. I'm so excited. I'm so paranoid about all my in-progress saves... I have total gaming ADD.

I've put insane amounts of time into GT5 lately. I couldn't imagine starting that all over again.

It doesn't help that my PS3 is in use minimum eight hours a day, between me, and then my girlfriend and roommate using PS3mediaserver or NetFlix.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

SamBishop posted:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I do see a trend in this thread of things popping back up, so yeah, this is basically you playing guinea pig to Netflix's experiments on UI and such. You are part of a pool of PS3 users that are testing out how things look and work. It's mean to basically echo the feeling of you flipping through your guide while watching TV channels -- basically constant stimulation.

It's limited to a very, very small pool of Netflix users, so... congrats?

Oh holy poo poo really? It loving sucks because every time I end a show I have to back out completely to the top layer UI because every time I'm done watching anything the UI is frozen. gently caress you netflix.

EDIT: The online storage thing..does mean I can actually go and upgrade my HDD without having to buy an external one to back up onto as well? Because that was a massive deal breaker for me. In theory I can just go and take out my puny 160gb hard drive and then grab a 720 gb one and just pop it in, download all my save files and I'm done? Sony, you're teasing me here, say it is true.

Ho Chi Meeeeee fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 9, 2011

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
As long as all of your saves total at or under 150MB, yes.

I'm curious about how (or if) locked saves will work if they uploaded and downloaded from different PS3 systems. The blog post says the only restriction is a 24-hour delay between downloads. I can't believe that the system restriction in the locked save would be ignored like that.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think this might be the first real incentive to actually make me consider getting PS+. Anyone here have it that thinks it's worth it otherwise?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

teethgrinder posted:

Yeah, that's a loving killer feature. I'm so excited. I'm so paranoid about all my in-progress saves... I have total gaming ADD.

I've put insane amounts of time into GT5 lately. I couldn't imagine starting that all over again.

Just for my own edification, did you mean you have gaming OCD in the sense that you're obsessed about constant saving and backing up, or gaming ADD in the sense that one game can't keep your attention so you have a lot of games you're working through concurrently?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
The fact that even locked saves will be supported makes me interested. I might get a Plus subscription once I have some cash saved up.

As for the downtime today, can I still earn trophies even if I'm not signed in? It doesn't seem like I can sign into my profile offline.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

davebo posted:

Just for my own edification, did you mean you have gaming OCD in the sense that you're obsessed about constant saving and backing up, or gaming ADD in the sense that one game can't keep your attention so you have a lot of games you're working through concurrently?
The latter. I have about eight PS3 games mid-progress (never mind all my stuff on Steam and GOG). I do beat games eventually. i.e. I beat Vice City after five years of on and off again play. I still have an FF XII game going. (Aside, that and Gradius V are the only reason I use my PS3's backwards-compatibility.)

SpacePig posted:

I think this might be the first real incentive to actually make me consider getting PS+. Anyone here have it that thinks it's worth it otherwise?
It's been absolutely worth it to me for the freebies and discounts. If you don't buy a lot of PSN stuff anyway though it probably wouldn't be worthwhile.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I think the discounts will certainly make me buy more PSN stuff. I buy... I dunno maybe one or two things a month on average, I'll probably buy more now.

Just got Vagrant Story and Dead Nation, waiting till MY WIFE is back in town to play DN though for the co-op. :3

There's other stuff on there I'd like to get, and it'd be nice taking advantage of the discounts with plus.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Yechezkel posted:

I'm curious about how (or if) locked saves will work if they uploaded and downloaded from different PS3 systems. The blog post says the only restriction is a 24-hour delay between downloads. I can't believe that the system restriction in the locked save would be ignored like that.

I guess their justification is the fact that it's your account on those multiple PS3s. Someone would have to gank your account details, add them to another machine and grab them to... copy your locked saves. My guess is they feel that's fairly protected enough.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

teethgrinder posted:

It's been absolutely worth it to me for the freebies and discounts. If you don't buy a lot of PSN stuff anyway though it probably wouldn't be worthwhile.

I buy an almost ebarrassing amount of stuff from the PSN, so I may just sign up for PS+ once the PSN is back up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I'm warming up to PS+. I might give it a shot for a year once my taxes come in. Some of the deals on games might be a nice addition too.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Ya, I've been holding out on PS+ because I feel stupid not jumping on Sam & Max for free, but might as well now that they are adding cloud saving.

How do shares work with free/discount things with PS+? I usually make a separate account, but I have a nephew and a friend I give games by keeping my main account on their systems, they can still enjoy free games without being logged into my account right?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

revolther posted:

Ya, I've been holding out on PS+ because I feel stupid not jumping on Sam & Max for free, but might as well now that they are adding cloud saving.

How do shares work with free/discount things with PS+? I usually make a separate account, but I have a nephew and a friend I give games by keeping my main account on their systems, they can still enjoy free games without being logged into my account right?

I'm pretty sure you can't share PS+ accounts.

e: The year is just a 1-time payment, right? Not a discounted monthly fee?

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 9, 2011

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

SpacePig posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't share PS+ accounts.

Ohhhh yes you can. A buddy shares his between his own PS3 and mine. Sometimes I download old PS1 games and things with his Plus account.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Ohhhh yes you can. A buddy shares his between his own PS3 and mine. Sometimes I download old PS1 games and things with his Plus account.

Oh. Well then, I guess I was misinformed. That's pretty neat, then.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

SpacePig posted:

e: The year is just a 1-time payment, right? Not a discounted monthly fee?

Yes, just 1 payment, either in the PS Store or a card with a voucher code to redeem the service, found at the same stores that sell PSN cards.

The service has auto-renewal on by default, so make sure to turn that off in the list of services in your PSN account if you don't want that.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I just signed up for PS+. Is there a place in the PSN store where you can see all the PS+ content? I queued up all the free downloads in the "PlayStation Plus" page/section, but that seemed to only have stuff from the last couple weeks of updates or something.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Baggot posted:

I just signed up for PS+. Is there a place in the PSN store where you can see all the PS+ content? I queued up all the free downloads in the "PlayStation Plus" page/section, but that seemed to only have stuff from the last couple weeks of updates or something.

Every month the deals change, it's not retroactive sorry.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

New firmware is live

edit: holy gently caress is this ever slow. Normally I'm days late on this stuff so I've never had this problem, ha.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 10, 2011

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
My 20 GB PS3 is sounding a bit noisy lately. Maybe its just the slightly warmer weather, but the fans seem to be kicking in sooner than I'm used to. The system seems to work as well as ever, but I'm considering opening it up, giving it a good dusting, and applying new thermal paste to the CPU and heatsink.

Only thing is I'm not really used to doing this sort of thing. I've looked up videos on the internet, and the PS3 definitely doesn't seem like the easiest system to take apart. I'm a little worried about cocking things up and trying to weigh the risk/reward of doing this. Thoughts?

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
My biggest suggestion would be to back up your saves before you attempt anything. Especially now that we can do so via PSN+ (starting tomorrow).

Now to somehow repair my YLOD PS3 to retrieve my lost Demon's Souls and MGS4 save files. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Dropping in to pimp PSN+ I've been using it for a few months. If they still have the buy a year and get 3 more months (total of 15 months) on the house then totally go for it. It's worth it for the free games they kick down especially if you haven't played them before or wouldn't mind playing them again. Last month I picked up the entire Spyro collection for PS-One (I was too cool for school back in the day when it first came out to ever play it even though I secretly played the hell out of a demo disc I got from PS Magazine).

New games tend to pop up bi-weekly, but every week something new shows up even if it's in the form of PSN avatars or wallpaper themes. The free subscription to Qore usually has some goodies within it's download (although last month's edition had next to gently caress-all).

This month, PSN+ users are getting a jump on the Sega Genesis Collection. Sonic 1 is the current freebie but Sonic 2, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Comix Zone and Street Fighter 2 will be popping up as well.

The trick to PSN+ is to load up your cart with the freebies and go through the checkout process so they are in your collection. You don't have to download the content right then and there (though you can if you want) but you do have to "buy" them before the offer disappears which is usually a 2 week window. Then later you just go to Transaction Management under Account Management and pick them up from your Download List whenever you want. As long as your PSN+ account is current and active whatever you get is yours to use and play whenever.

Also, turning on Auto-Downloading and setting a window during the time you are asleep or at work your PS3 will turn on and pick up and install latest patch downloads (including Firmware updates, 'cept it won't install those) and turn itself back off. You'll come home, turn on your PS3 and it'll tell you "Oh hey, I patched Red Dead Redemption for ya and here's the Killzone 3 Demo and the required firmware update." It's a neat feature that's overlooked.

• Locked thread