Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Warthog posted:

Is there some sort of independent unbiased US news source? I feel like a dirty progressive left-wing commie because I mostly get my infos from here and Comedy Central (and MSNBC / Fox News if I feel the need to cringe) :/

(I'm a foreigner, it's a serious question)

NPR is probably as close as you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Also, the fighters we have now are a hell of a lot more advanced than the ones we had during Kosovo or the enforcement of Iraq's no-fly zone. I really don't see an F-22 being shot down anywhere, whether over Benghazi or Tripoli.

Also, most of the Libyan air force consists of planes 40-year old (at least) Soviet museum pieces and hanger-queens at that. Most of them aren't even airworthy.

Apparently, the wikipedia page for the Libyan air force has been updated since last I checked. Those 12 Mirages, which is Qaddafi's most comparable and advanced Western aircraft? Dassault only got the contract to refit 12, and completed 4 before all this poo poo blew up. Two of those flew to Malta, one got shot down a few days ago, leaving just one.

Also, the rebels have taken a few of them, but with no pilots and no fuel, who knows if they can get them up.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Warthog posted:

Is there some sort of independent unbiased US news source? I feel like a dirty progressive left-wing commie because I mostly get my infos from here and Comedy Central (and MSNBC / Fox News if I feel the need to cringe) :/

(I'm a foreigner, it's a serious question)

edit: oops, meant to post this in the wisconsin thread - but it fits here as well.

NPR is pretty good, though soon they might not be as good as they are now due to funding cuts.

e: Didn't notice the post above me already had NPR - how about Bloomberg or Reuters?

e2: Just to be clear, are you asking for news source IN the US or ABOUT the US? If it's the latter, there are lots of other, non-US news sources that have a "World" or an "Amercas" section that you might be interested in (the National Post, AJE, CBC and the BBC are my favourites). They might not cover every single US issue you're looking for, but they do have articles on the major ones, like the Union/Wisconsin vote.

There's a lot more out there (France24 is another one you might be interested in, but I don't really use it so I can't say for sure how good it is). I'm sure if you looked around you'd find a ton of sources you'd enjoy.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 10, 2011

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Al-Saqr posted:

(Great :words: about the situation in Saudi Arabia)

Thank you so much for this post. I don't feel it got the appreciation you deserve.
You say it's very likely no one shows up, but haven't 32,000 people already basically RSVP'd?

Almost seems like for this to succeed you would need a 'flash revolution'.

That sure is a hosed up situation.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Warthog posted:

Is there some sort of independent unbiased US news source?

Yes, and they run stories about Linsey Lohan. Don't even bother with US news it's been corporately trashed to the point of being unrecognizable as news most of the time.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Defense editor for The Times, Deborah Haynes, reporting today that Zawiyah is under government control, green flags everywhere.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

MothraAttack posted:

Defense editor for The Times, Deborah Haynes, reporting today that Zawiyah is under government control, green flags everywhere.

What's a shame is we'll never know how many are actual Gadaffi supporters. If his soldiers just rolled into my town, I'd be 'praising' his arrival too.

What a clusterfuck.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
WELP THAT WAS FAST.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/10/AR2011031003269.html

WE'RE OFFICIALLY hosed.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Al-Saqr posted:

WELP THAT WAS FAST.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/10/AR2011031003269.html

WE'RE OFFICIALLY hosed.

Did they beat Gaddafi's record? I don't think so.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

WELP THAT WAS FAST.

WE'RE OFFICIALLY hosed.

Wow. Well I hope they leave it at that and don't come after everyone who rsvp'd on Facebook for the rally tomorrow.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Also, the fighters we have now are a hell of a lot more advanced than the ones we had during Kosovo or the enforcement of Iraq's no-fly zone. I really don't see an F-22 being shot down anywhere, whether over Benghazi or Tripoli.

It's unlikely, sure, but bear in mind the Serbs did in fact shoot down an F-117. Stealth isn't the same as invulnerable.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

WELP THAT WAS FAST.

WE'RE OFFICIALLY hosed.

drat, this is only going to escalate from here. How could they be so blind as to what's happening in their neighbouring countries that they'd try the exact same thing that made things worse?

The articles is short on details though - I don't suppose you can fill us in on what happened? Like, did they actually fire at the ground, or above their heads to try and disperse the? If they fired at them, what kind of ammo were they using? Were there any injuries? Hopefully no one got hurt, but that claim that they were going to cut people's hands off makes me doubt that.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

Namarrgon posted:

Did they beat Gaddafi's record? I don't think so.

Gaddafi's record in terms of what?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

feedmegin posted:

It's unlikely, sure, but bear in mind the Serbs did in fact shoot down an F-117. Stealth isn't the same as invulnerable.

When you saturate the sky with exploding shells, you're bound to hit something.

FE: actually, looking at what happened, the Serbs fired a bunch of SA-3 SAMs and managed to get a lucky lock-on when the plane had it's bomb bay doors open, which increased it's radar signature.

Also, the F-117 was retired in 2008, replaced by the F-22.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

So, what's the over/under for the change in gas prices after that?

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Mixed feelings about this (from AJE):

quote:

8:27pm
Saif al-Islam Gaddafi's threat to use "full-scale military action" against the Libyan people brings a no-fly zone closer, British foreign secretary William Hague says. He also said Britain and France had paved the way at the UN Security Council to prepare a resolution endorsing the action, and that NATO was doing the planning on the practical steps of its operation. Hague told the BBC:

quote:

Clearly if there were to be large-scale bombing attacks that the world could see and understand, and that could be verified, on civilians, on populated areas in Libya, then that would massively strengthen the case for the introduction of a no-fly zone.

It's worth noting that one of the three preconditions for military action laid down by Hague earlier today was "a clear trigger" event.

That whole thing damns the Gaddafis even more since they're openly talking about using the military, without the distinction between civilians and rebels.

This, however, is a smart move and has the win the NTC points within Europe:

quote:

8:12pm
The Libyan national transitional council, based in Benghazi, says it will respect all oil contracts signed by Libya. Council spokesman Hafiz Ghoga said:

We are seeking to increase our production of oil but the bombardment of certain oil industry locations will definitely affect our levels of production.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

How soon it took to open fire on their own people, I'm guessing

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Shortest time between a big protest and opening fire.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

They definately beat both Ghadaffi's and Mubarak's Start-To-Massacre record,but I think Ghadaffi is still probably MVP with Total Civilian Casualties. This has been a disappointing season for Mubarak fans.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 10, 2011

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

They definately beat both Ghadaffi's and Mubarak's Start-To-Massacre record,but I think Ghadaffi is still probably MVP with Civilian Casualties. This has been a terrible season for Mubarak fans.

Hmm, I was under the impression that SA has had somewhat smaller protests for the past month or so, whereas Gaddafi essentially ordered opening fire on day 2 or something.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Namarrgon posted:

Hmm, I was under the impression that SA has had somewhat smaller protests for the past month or so, whereas Gaddafi essentially ordered opening fire on day 2 or something.
Libyan protests started around the same time as the end of Tunisia/ start of Egypt. Ghadaffi tried to head off his downfall by confusing the gently caress out of the protestors (He tried to "join" them at first, claiming that he too was fed up with the government not meeting their demands). He only really went all in after the Egyptian Revolution happened and he realized how hosed he was.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

feedmegin posted:

This was due to some cunning tactics against what is actually a pretty old and relatively slow fighter (30 years now) that looked and handled like a prototype. If this is the incident I'm thinking of, the flights became quite predictable. After determining when and where the aircraft would appear, they moved launchers into an ideal intercept position and then turned their equipment on at just the right time, getting a perfect view and being able to fire without spooking the pilot well ahead of time.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
The price of oil (by the barrel) jumped $3 in the last hour.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Did that French wallah on AJ just say " It will be most difficult to make blow jobs to African Dictators"?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Chronojam posted:

This was due to some cunning tactics against what is actually a pretty old and relatively slow fighter (30 years now) that looked and handled like a prototype. If this is the incident I'm thinking of, the flights became quite predictable. After determining when and where the aircraft would appear, they moved launchers into an ideal intercept position and then turned their equipment on at just the right time, getting a perfect view and being able to fire without spooking the pilot well ahead of time.

And? I accept that the F-22 is inevitably going to be stealthier than the F-117 being newer technology (how much so depends on exactly how much stealth :science: has progressed, I suppose), but it's still not some magical Superman-plane that is completely invulnerable to AA. Cunning tactics on the part of the Libyans, bad planning on the part of the US, and most of all blind chance could still cause one to get shot down.

As I said I don't think it likely, but it would be foolish to assume that there is absolutely no risk in imposing a no-fly zone because of stealth.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Chortles posted:

He ignores two things: #1, there ARE unguided weapons that could be deployed (i.e. MANPADS) without requiring an air defense radar, however unlikely they are to be present in Libyan regime use, and #2, that it's US military doctrine -- as voiced by both the secretary of defense and the Commander, US Central Command* -- that would require that US forces attack Libyan air defense emplacements to initiate a no-fly zone.

* I'm not sure if Libyan = the purview of USCENTCOM or that of US Africa Command, which I understand was founded with the intent of focus on counter-AQ and... to be blunt, maintaining political influence in Africa.

How likely is it that this would be US led (and therefore reliant on US doctrine)? I know Britain doesn't have the capacity to enforce a no-fly zone on their own (especially after the tories kindly scrapped our fleet air arm), but reading the way the wind's blowing it's Britain and France that have really been taking steps on this issue while the US has been being more cautious and backing away from direct intervention for the most part. Britain and France signed a defence treaty last year, part of which allowed for the sharing of aircraft carriers and general closer military co-operation. I'm obviously not saying that either Britain or France will go in there single handed and enforce a No-Fly zone, but would it necessarily have to be under US command? To my eyes it seems likely that any military intervention could just as easily be EU led (or maybe even led by an Anglo-French alliance) as American led.

Also, even if any action was American led, how do you square the current doctrine with General McPeak's comments about the specific situation in Libya, quoted earlier?

I'm not any kind of military or strategic expert, I'm genuinely curious.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm so sorry, Al Saqr :(

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Apology posted:

I'm so sorry, Al Saqr :(

Yes, please keep up updated as much as you can. I'm surprised there is such a lack of coverage over this.
I suppose there is a lot of money exchanging hands to try and keep it under the radar.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
For the next 90 minutes I am in a meeting with PJ Crowley, asst secstate, about social media and the revolutions. If you have a question about something related to this post it and I will try to ask.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Petey posted:

For the next 90 minutes I am in a meeting with PJ Crowley, asst secstate, about social media and the revolutions. If you have a question about something related to this post it and I will try to ask.

I'd be interested as to if the officials are following social media news sources as closely as everyone else, or if they have 'official' sources that they get their information from.
Although, this may be a bit of a silly question to ask. It's admittedly a bit shallow.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

BBC News posted:

Libya: Gaddafi forces push rebels from Ras Lanuf

Libyan rebels are fleeing the oil port of Ras Lanuf after sustained attacks by forces loyal to Col Muammar Gaddafi.

There were reports of severe civilian casualties after rebel positions and residential areas came under fire from rockets and shells.

Libyan state TV said pro-Gaddafi troops had also cleared rebels from the oil port of Sidra, west of Ras Lanuf.

One of Col Gaddafi's sons, Saif al-Islam, said it was time for "liberation" and "action".

... (more :words: in linked article)

While some rebels are claiming that pro-Gaddafi troops haven't fully claimed the town, I'd be amazed if there was any meaningful resistance left in the town after the recent offensive push by Gaddafi's forces.

I really hope that the new military management and reorganizing of rebel forces has a profoundly good effect on their effectiveness. :(

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Apparently there's a fight in DC over who actually is in charge at the Libyan embassy.
http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/03/10/a_tale_of_two_libyan_embassies_in_washington_dc

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Petey posted:

With the speed at which social media can inform the world of ongoing international events, how does the current administration feel about the need for considered and effective action versus the increased public demand for a faster response? Are there any fears internally that an administration that advertised itself on having modern and efficient decision making is now seemingly playing catch-up?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Sivias posted:

I'd be interested as to if the officials are following social media news sources as closely as everyone else, or if they have 'official' sources that they get their information from.
Although, this may be a bit of a silly question to ask. It's admittedly a bit shallow.

Asked him how the availability of on the ground info as opposed to stuff from Langley shaped the response. Not sure if he understood what I meant though - his response was mostly about understanding how to engage with foreign centers ofinterest. He did say to someone else that the availability of stuff had definitely changed the rapidity of response and international pressure.

Just said the US is down to 5% popularity in Pakistan, Jesus.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Petey posted:

It's impossible to overstate how big of a deal the Raymond Davis is over there.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Petey posted:

Holy poo poo. Pakistan liking us is key to easy supply routes to eastern Afghanistan.
I'm so sorry Pakistan.
Do we have any Pakistani goons that might give us some inside info onto their situation?

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

YorexTheMad posted:

NPR is probably as close as you can get.

Democracy Now! They have people like Noam Chomsky all the time for 30+ minutes (and it airs every weekday).

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

Sivias posted:

Holy poo poo. Pakistan liking us is key to easy supply routes to eastern Afghanistan.
I'm so sorry Pakistan.
Do we have any Pakistani goons that might give us some inside info onto their situation?

The Pakistani public's opinion on the United States is about as important as the Tea Party's opinion on Obama. Both groups are completely divorced from reality and nothing short of God himself descending from the heavens and schooling them will change their minds.

Pakistan's civilian government is sane, and it's only their opinion that really matters when it comes to the War in Afghanistan.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Someone just confronted him about Bradley manning's torture. Too complex response to post now. Very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
^^^^ Holy poo poo, wanna hear about how that one went.

Speaking of people divorced from reality, I'm in the library killing time until my next class. Student glances at my screen as they walk by, see me reading Al Jazeera:

"Why are you reading a terrorist website on campus? Don't you know that you can get arrested for that?"

:ughh:

• Locked thread